Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

In Heroe's manual he was called Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong, though...

(Edit: I was wrong. It was DR. Eggman :-/ )

As El Gran Gordo would tell us all were he here, the only time the name "Ivo" ever appeared in a game manual was the Western Sonic 1:

800px-S1-md-eu-manual-04.jpg

Also, Robotnik >> Eggman.

If only for the sake of familiarity.

On topic: I'm fed up with calling this game the vaguely stupid "Project Needlemouse" now. I remain unconvinced that it'll be Sonic 4, but I'd like something - anything - concrete as a name!

Can you believe that in the Portuguese translation for that Sonic Heroes manual, they translated it as him being a médico?

A doctor, not as in scientist. As in, heals sick people by prescription.

Can you believe that in the Portuguese translation for that Sonic Heroes manual, they translated it as him being a médico?

A doctor, not as in scientist. As in, heals sick people by prescription.

Yeah, he's more of an engineer than a medic.

021212.jpg

I thought the fandom realized that fighting over the name was petty. I'd rather they not go back on what they started to appease complaining fans. The only name I dislike is Doctor Eggman. Dr. Robotnik is his name and title. Eggman is a nickname, what's with the official title? Maybe he just really likes being a doctor.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

Someone set off the name bomb! :lol:

Seriously, I don't care what they call him: Robotnik and Eggman both describe him well. It'd be cool I guess if they called him Robotnik in this game just for nastalgia's sake, but am I going to cry if they don't? No. It's just a name, it doesn't mean anything important.

He's a doctor in the same sense as Doctor Octopus.

Don't you mean...

2570979131_5fa4c34372.jpg

DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS?!

Also, this debate over the name is exceedingly stupid. I prefer the sound of Robotnik, but seriously, it isn't a big deal. Still, I'd LOVE it if the following scene or something like it were in Project Needlemouse (assuming the game has voiced cutscenes).

Sonic: Aha, I see you're up to your old tricks again, Eggman!

Eggman: Ah, Sonic. We've known each for years, there is no need to be so formal. You may address me as Doctor Robotnik.

Sonic: ...seriously? It's only taken you however many years to realize that the name I jokingly gave you wasn't the best title for a man hell-bent on taking over all of Earth?

Eggman: Goo goo g'choo, Sonic... goo goo g'choo.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

My point is that, as with so many other Doctors in popular fiction, Dr. Eggrobotniwhatever's title means jack shit in the long run because nobody's ever going to want to see him produce his certificates from Supervillain University, or indeed want him to fill a prescription for their drugs. It's just a tool to make him sound intelligent, and to be fair even though he does fail in everything he does he has invented a startling number of sometimes really dangerous machines... albeit animal-powered machines, which kinda backs up the title.

To quote an old movie, "It's Doctor Evil. I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called mister, thank you very much."

How could you guys forget:

lingerie_dr_evil_surgery.jpg

Dr. Doug Evil?!

Are we really talking about what kind of a doctor Eggman is? oO lol.. I think Patticus is right, though.

Edit: Fuck... I guess I was "too slow" xO

Edited by MarcelloF

I have a bad feeling that comment 23 will ruin everything for those who won for posts 25 and above.

"DERP 333 GET" is totally bordering on spam!

He's a member on Sonic Retro just so you know.

Doesn't change the fact that we hate him B) (for winning).

Edited by MarcelloF

Where? The planet is never named in the manuals besides the odd Triple Trouble, which can be slated off like Amy being named Sally in Sonic CD. It could be or could not be Mobius, I never said either way. You're the one making assumptions based on spinoffs. Spinoffs that deviated hard from the established game material SOA provided and that contradict early material made by SOA. So I have all the reason to doubt this claim when it never had solid proof behind it.

Come on, you're asking for material that existed between 1990-1998. You're not going to find an awful lot of proof anymore. But needless to say, if you were old enough to remember Sonic the Hedgehog back in the early 1990s, you'll know that the accepted planet for the games was Mobius. From TV commercials to cereal boxes to stationary - all referencing the games directly in association with the planet.

Lucky for you, though - some proof, from my collection:

post-1-126521385744_thumb.jpg post-1-126521386762_thumb.jpg

post-1-126521387523_thumb.jpg post-1-126521389138_thumb.jpg

post-1-126521390235_thumb.jpg post-1-126521390964_thumb.jpg

hahahah What? Where is proof of that? Link source with a Pic please. And it better be from Sega of Japan's Sonic Team. (everything translated to English is always botched by a localization team, especially back then)

Just because it's SoA continuity and not SoJ continuity doesn't make it any less fact. SoA and SoE created their own Sonic continuity for the West, and made Sonic's planet 'Mobius'. Arguing about whether the Japanese canon is the 'true' one is irrelevant, because it doesn't detract from the key point you and redmenace were making - that Sega never made that distinction outside of the comics/cartoons.

I understand asking whether SoA/SoE called the place Mobius if you were too young to remember the 1990s, but it's slightly asinine to argue against it.

Now can we put this issue to rest once and for all, pretty please with sugar on top?

HEY LOOK PROJECT NEEDLEMOUSE THAT LOOKS SOUNDS WHATEVER PRETTY COOL HUH?

For the record, I don't mind the music sample. Bit awkward at first, but give it a few listens and you start to appreciate it. Not quite sure why everyone is calling out the soundtrack based on a ten second sample, but hey. That's just me. Shine on, crazy Sonic fans. Shine on. B)

He's a member on Sonic Retro just so you know.

Sorry, but can you really blame me? Come on. DARKSONIC. Really?