Awoo.

Anyone else bored of Eggman being the villain? Also the series should go back to basics!

StarWarsSonic

11 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Yea, but most of those characters were still pretty secondary to the main characters in that case. Even Shadow had a lot of traits about him downplayed in the comics so that he wouldn't overshadow the Freedom Fighters.

You certainly can develop a lot of characters to be more prominent, but you can't have every character literally be a main character, that's why supporting roles exist.

Then you rotate the cast; let the supporting cast have moments where they become the main character and vice versa. Give them their own stories so that they can get some development to become three dimensional.

A major problem with the way people approach these things is that they assume the supporting cast must always be support and never be allowed a chance to shine, even for a moment. That something people need to grow up over if they have a problem with it.

Funny enough, Archie also did that (and they also gave Shadow heavy prominence in Universe) but I’m not here to gush over Archie upsides.

It's why Shadow was so awkward for so many people; he was designed as another Sonic when there was already a Sonic around. It's also why a lot of traits about him have been downplayed in recent years so that he's lower on the totem pole than Sonic, as opposed to before when he was more prominent.

I find that logic hypocritical when prior to Shadow’s debut, there was Metal Sonic, a character which many of those same people let slide for being another Sonic and is still around as his own character separate from both.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Then you rotate the cast; let the supporting cast have moments where they become the main character and vice versa. Give them their own stories so that they can get some development to become three dimensional.

A major problem with the way people approach these things is that they assume the supporting cast must always be support and never be allowed a chance to shine, even for a moment. That something people need to grow up over if they have a problem with it.

Funny enough, Archie also did that (and they also gave Shadow heavy prominence in Universe) but I’m not here to gush over Archie upsides.

We literally been saying this for years, but some people just can't stand the idea of their favorites being pushed aside. This is why we're stuck with Sonic, Tails and Eggman all of the time now.

6 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I find that logic hypocritical when prior to Shadow’s debut, there was Metal Sonic, a character which many of those same people let slide for being another Sonic and is still around as his own character separate from both.

Because Metal came first :V

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

We literally been saying this for years, but some people just can't stand the idea of their favorites being pushed aside. This is why we're stuck with Sonic, Tails and Eggman all of the time now.

Then like I said, people just need to grow up and realize that just because Cream, for instance takes the spotlight doesn’t mean Shadow or Tails are suddenly irrelevant for good.

Goes to show that people just don’t really know how to logic, do they?

Because Metal came first :V

And the Freedom Fighters predate him, but how’s that logic fare with those people? :V

21 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I am recurrently criticised for thinking the D6 are GOOD villains, they aren't really. They're just a step in the right direction compared to the generic and completely out-of-place sci fi monsters we've gotten since Sonic Adventure (with each title taking increasingly less measures to give it some sort of home in the Sonic universe). You knew the formula pretty quickly in, Eggman summons or accidentally awakens a god like beast with no previously established lore, he fights for most of the game, only to be usurped by the new blood in the final story which turns into a giant monster for Super Sonic to defeat. One could argue the Yeti are still a variation of that, but at least it gets the basics of them having effective PERSONALITY, basic personality but still. Lost Worlds is probably the first game in a long while where Sonic, Tails and Eggman weren't just doing their usual shit and showing the same two or three character traits. It wasn't brilliantly executed, but I think it shows what to aim for.

You aren't criticized for thinking the Deadly Six are good, but because you seem to think basic storytelling elements are worthy of praise.  Why is having a personality suddenly a point of praise?

Meanwhile, you're quick to throw characters like Shadow under the bus despite being way more fleshed out and focused, simply because it doesn't fit your idea on what the series should be.

I'm not here to tell you that your preferences are wrong, but there seems to be this stubborn refusal to accept different elements in the series simply because it goes against what some people want, but I have to constantly be told that Shadow sucks and should have stayed dead despite being one of the most dynamic characters in the series over a group of characters with little personality whatsoever, simply because one doesn't encroach on the classic characters.

Fuck that noise.

8 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Then like I said, people just need to grow up and realize that just because Cream, for instance takes the spotlight doesn’t mean Shadow or Tails are suddenly irrelevant for good.

Goes to show that people just don’t really know how to logic, do they?

And the Freedom Fighters predate him, but how’s that logic fare with those people. :V

We're Sonic fans, because mature and rational isn't in our resume.

I'd honestly be way more open to newer elements in this series if they actually cared enough to flesh them out; I don't WANT to hate characters like the Deadly Six or Infinite, but they do so little with them despite the buildup that I don't really have much choice.

Fucking hell man, Infinite is everything that people accuse Shadow of being in terms of criticism.

• Thumbs Up 2

But like I've said before, Shadow did have depth, but why can't we have that AND conventions and lore from the original games? I don't buy the regular mindset of many Sonic writers that if Sonic is to have depth, it has to be less 'Sonic-y' and have a new and grittier backdrop far distanced from those silly, childish little cartoon games. I'm sure a lot of Shadow's character could have still worked without taking such stark direction away from the series, and again they didn't have to exacerbate it by REPEATING that formula in blander doses for many games after. I could take a couple deaths in spaced titles if they were properly handled for example, but killing off a character on an almost ritual basis nearly every title, sometimes in a completely alien direction like realistically gunning down a human child, that's just cheap emotional ploy. It's like the creative team finding something cool they saw on TV and trying to shoehorn it into the games, without thinking through if or how it would be compatible or beneficial.

A lot of the reason fans are apprehensive towards new ideas and characters is because they don't trust the creative team to handle them competently and not get stuck in the same formula again. Every time they get their hands on a new idea, they run into the ground and often don't even try to develop it properly, leaving people sick of it. Like the current direction isn't good with the rehashing of Wisps and classic Sonic and the like, but they don't want a repeat of Next Gen and Shadow either.

14 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

We're Sonic fans, because mature and rational isn't in our resume.

It is for a number of us. :lol:

I'd honestly be way more open to newer elements in this series if they actually cared enough to flesh them out; I don't WANT to hate characters like the Deadly Six or Infinite, but they do so little with them despite the buildup that I don't really have much choice.

Fucking hell man, Infinite is everything that people accuse Shadow of being in terms of criticism.

You don’t really have to hate them if you don’t want to. Not saying you have to like them, but nowadays I find being more constructive goes a longer way than ranting and bitching—it’ll at least make you see a helluva lot more that others aren’t looking at, whether deliberately or not.

Personally, I always look at execution. It shouldn’t matter when something came first, how good it was in the past, or how much I like something about it—if it fucks up, it should be called out and made to do better (without being spiteful and disingenuous, I should add, because people love to twist meanings these days), and if it does well it should be praised and acknowledged.

33 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Metal Sonic exists specifically in relation to Sonic. He's not an independent character, he's a response, he doesn't make sense without the context of what he's a response to. Shadow starts off looking like he's going to be a response but his similarities to Sonic end up being coincidental and his story spins off in a completely different direction. There's a weird tension to the character where they treat him almost as if he's the protagonist of an entirely separate series but there's no way to escape that he's Dark Sonic for no reason.

11 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

But like I've said before, Shadow did have depth, but why can't we have that AND conventions and lore from the original games? I don't buy the regular mindset of many Sonic writers that if Sonic is to have depth, it has to be less 'Sonic-y' and have a new and grittier backdrop far distanced from those silly, childish little cartoon games. I'm sure a lot of Shadow's character could have still worked without taking such stark direction away from the series, and again they didn't have to exacerbate it by REPEATING that formula in blander doses for many games after. I could take a couple deaths in spaced titles if they were properly handled for example, but killing off a character on an almost ritual basis nearly every title, sometimes in a completely alien direction like realistically gunning down a human child, that's just cheap emotional ploy. It's like the creative team finding something cool they saw on TV and trying to shoehorn it into the games, without thinking through if or how it would be compatible or beneficial.

Nobody died in Shadow the Hedgehog and the 06 deaths took place long before the story started so I'm not sure where this comes from. 

Almost nothing about Sonic Adventure 2 gets repeated again after aside from like, the Shadow focus? SA2 has more in common with the game released before it than the ones after. 

15 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Metal Sonic exists specifically in relation to Sonic. He's not an independent character, he's a response, he doesn't make sense without the context of what he's a response to.

No, he’s definitely an independent character. He has a background, a psychology, and a physiology that is unique to him even if the background behind his existence was made as a response to another character. We’re that not the case, he wouldn’t have much in these dimensions to him. It no different to how Mewtwo is separate from Mew despite being a clone. Or why Silver Sonic is treated more of a drone than an actual character like Metal Sonic.

11 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

No, he’s definitely an independent character. He has a background, a psychology, and a physiology that is unique to him

That exists entirely in response to Sonic. You cannot have Metal Sonic without Sonic. Not just in the sense that the designers made him in response to Sonic, not just that Eggman created him in response to Sonic, but that his role as a character is fundamentally to be a response to Sonic. You take Sonic out of the equation and Metal ceases to be a meaningful, coherent character.

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That exists entirely in response to Sonic. You cannot have Metal Sonic without Sonic.

Literally no one said you can have Metal Sonic without Sonic. Stop putting words in people’s mouths.

Not just in the sense that the designers made him in response to Sonic, not just that Eggman created him in response to Sonic, but that his role as a character is fundamentally to be a response to Sonic. You take Sonic out of the equation and Metal ceases to be a meaningful, coherent character.

Except that is not all Metal Sonic has had going for him. He’s not just a response to Sonic, he’s an enforcer of Eggman and one of his most valuable and powerful ones at that. He has his own mind, which despite being programmed to serve Eggman, allowed enough independent thought to do more than just “respond” to Sonic—up to usurping his own creator’s fleet to rule the world, fighting other enemies that aren’t Sonic, acting on his own as he does his masters bidding, etc. And he has his own unique abilities (and some copied from others, but one could argue that only makes him more versatile in his actions) that separate him from others.

There is more to Metal than just being a response to Sonic, which is my whole point. Hence why he’s his own independent character, even if the background of his character was made as a response to another.

40 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

A lot of the reason fans are apprehensive towards new ideas and characters is because they don't trust the creative team to handle them competently and not get stuck in the same formula again. Every time they get their hands on a new idea, they run into the ground and often don't even try to develop it properly, leaving people sick of it. Like the current direction isn't good with the rehashing of Wisps and classic Sonic and the like, but they don't want a repeat of Next Gen and Shadow either.

As said, none of those things actually happened so I'm left wondering what are you actually talking about.

38 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Metal Sonic exists specifically in relation to Sonic. He's not an independent character, he's a response, he doesn't make sense without the context of what he's a response to. Shadow starts off looking like he's going to be a response but his similarities to Sonic end up being coincidental and his story spins off in a completely different direction. There's a weird tension to the character where they treat him almost as if he's the protagonist of an entirely separate series but there's no way to escape that he's Dark Sonic for no reason.

He's Dark Sonic because the developers wanted to make a new Dark Sonic.

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

This please. 

Is he though? Idk, I think Metal just got lucky enough to be one of the cooler looking robot duplicates that kept coming back for spinoffs and was integral enough to Amy's introduction to get into the Dreamcast era thanks to a reference.

He doesn't have much in the way of personality otherwise--Heroes had him being the Big Bad because they knew he was popular and had him assimilate bio- and Chaos data to go with his played up need to beat his template.

And the Freedom Fighters predate him, but how’s that logic fare with those people? :V

Beyond people who just don't like the Freedom Fighters, it doesn't. 

Those five characters have nothing to do with each other.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

You aren't criticized for thinking the Deadly Six are good, but because you seem to think basic storytelling elements are worthy of praise.  Why is having a personality suddenly a point of praise?

Meanwhile, you're quick to throw characters like Shadow under the bus despite being way more fleshed out and focused, simply because it doesn't fit your idea on what the series should be.

I'm not here to tell you that your preferences are wrong, but there seems to be this stubborn refusal to accept different elements in the series simply because it goes against what some people want, but I have to constantly be told that Shadow sucks and should have stayed dead despite being one of the most dynamic characters in the series over a group of characters with little personality whatsoever, simply because one doesn't encroach on the classic characters.

Fuck that noise.

I don't think she was saying Shadow himself is bad and was more arguing about the tonal problem Sonic games tends to have both in-universe and where differing preferences are concerned.

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Nobody died in Shadow the Hedgehog and the 06 deaths took place long before the story started so I'm not sure where this comes from. 

I guess Heavy Dog, Blue Falcon, the Black Arms, and Black Doom don't count for the former, nor do Eggman, Elise, Solaris, and of course Sonic  himself for the latter.

41 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

No, he’s definitely an independent character. He has a background, a psychology, and a physiology that is unique to him even if the background behind his existence was made as a response to another character. We’re that not the case, he wouldn’t have much in these dimensions to him. It no different to how Mewtwo is separate from Mew despite being a clone.

Uh, are you talking about Metal or Shadow?

41 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Or why Silver Sonic is treated more of a drone than an actual character like Metal Sonic.

Because he never got to come back, much less speak or emote.

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I don't think she was saying Shadow himself is bad and was more arguing about the tonal problem Sonic games tends to have both in-universe and where differing preferences are concerned.

Then that's not a problem related to Shadow, that's a writing execution issue which should be aimed against the WRITERS, not the characters.

And even then, most of those elements would only be at odds with what came before.

As I said, I understand that it's jarring for people to reconcile the tonal differences between the Adventure games and classic games; but as mentioned, most of the darkness was literally in elements already established by the classic games.

The Echidna genocide was rooted in something from Sonic 3, and Shadow's backstory is related to Eggman's relative.

People are selective with what fits the series and what doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I guess Heavy Dog, Blue Falcon, the Black Arms, and Black Doom don't count for the former, nor do Eggman, Elise, Solaris, and of course Sonic  himself for the latter.

Do deaths that get undone count? I don't really see anyone mentioning the genocide at the end of Lost World for the same reason.

7 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Then that's not a problem related to Shadow,

That's...that's what I said. Was that not what I said?

The Echidna genocide was rooted in something from Sonic 3, and Shadow's backstory is related to Eggman's relative.

People are selective with what fits the series and what doesn't.

Were people really complaining about the Echidnas? This is a first.

And it's less the relevance of Shadow's backstory and more the content people are concerned about.

5 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Do deaths that get undone count?

Uh, I don't know actually.

Even then, Black Doom, Solaris, and Blue Falcon among others are totally dead.

I don't really see anyone mentioning the genocide at the end of Lost World for the same reason.

I mean, they used to. It just turned out that Eggman wasn't blowing smoke out of his ass.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

And it's less the relevance of Shadow's backstory and more the content.

There are folks who think that knuckles having any type of backstory besdies " island punch guy " is bad. I assume these are also the people who think that tails being anything other than cute is bad.

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

There are folks who think that knuckles having any type of backstory besdies " island punch guy " is bad. I assume these are also the people who think that tails being anything other than cute is bad.

Guess those people didn't read the manual.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Guess those people didn't read the manual.

Yeah. And take their i'll informed opinion about what the series " needs " to be and try to enforce it on the rest of the series.  And sega listening is why we are , where we are.

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

And it's less the relevance of Shadow's backstory and more the content people are concerned about.

The idea that a girl being shot is "taboo" but Echidna genocide is fine is ludicrous to me.

I can't tell if people have preferences or they're literally just that sensitive to this stuff...

Just now, Kuzu said:

The idea that a girl being shot is "taboo" but Echidna genocide is fine is ludicrous to me.

I can't tell if people have preferences or they're literally just that sensitive to this stuff...

" I like this thing so its good. But I don't like this thing , so its bad"

Its just that. Let me expand upon this with a tale. There is an IGN video, its about sonic. In this video the guy makes a very good point similar to yours in your thread that there are different demographics that engage with different sonic media in different ways. He proceeded to bungle this point by refusing to acknowledge that the late millennial/ gen z folks he's trying to make a point about grew up with the adventure a simple point which would have made his " live and let live" stance of let people enjoy what what they enjoy and they enjoy media differently in a very simple short way. He cannot admit this and gets nowhere.

" I don't like it so it doesn't count "

Some people are just like that

The only monster of the week (We still calling them that?) I liked in the series has been Chaos. His design is simplistic, yet cool, made entirely out of water with just a nervous system. It works - simplicity in these designs works in the long run, I think. Chaos isn't the first time we had a non-mechanical boss, or even a boss that was strictly a single element - I mean that in the loosest, inaccurate sense of what elements are: fire, earth, wind, water, ya know. Remember the Rock Guardian boss from Sandopolis? I thought that was neat - it was simplistic in design, not overly complicated. It was nothing but a giant humanoid rock. Hey, you know what, it worked. I liked that boss... just wish he jumped a little quicker. It's Sonic the hedgehog, the designs are all simplistic. Eggman looked simple, and so did the classic main 3. 

Chaos' backstory is very well integrated with the Chaos Emeralds, unlike the Biolizard or Dark Gaia where their direct observable interaction with these plot macguffins wasn't seen until the last minute. Sure, we were hinted at it, but I don't find that good enough. With Chaos, we were with it from start to finish. We see how each Chaos emerald changes him, we see how Chaos was crucial to the story several times throughout. Besides, Chaos isn't just a savage, absolute idiot like the other monsters clearly are (sorta). He had hints of awareness of his surroundings, he had purpose and he could recognize good vs evil. Chaos had a clear link to the ancient (echidna) tribal people of master Island - these people had their existence hinted at in Hidden Palace and Sonic 3 in general, and Chaos helped establish a clear understanding to the player as to why these ancient tribes were no longer around, leaving Knuckles behind as one of the last ones left of his kind. 

Beyond Chaos, I don't like any of the other MOTW. I was so happy to See Eggman return as the Villian in Sonic Colors, I actually didn't even expect it. I'm really happy with the current trend of Eggman being the final boss in his games. Even Forces, for as badly fleshed out as it's story was, did a positive when they made Eggman the big bad at the end and not Infinite, which was 100% what I was expecting. 

With the exception of Chaos so far, no MOTW has been well-integrated enough into the plot for me to find them a satisfying final boss. I don't care if we see Dark Gaia's minions all throughout Unleashed, why should I? That's not Dark Gaia, those are Dark Gaia's mooks. The biolizard always stood out as bizarre to me, Solaris and Iblis look kinda neat yet feel uninspired and do not fit in the Sonic universe at all, and Devil Doom is... ya. The storybook games are kind of their own unique category, but I never liked those games anyway so whatever.  I didn't even like Metal Sonic's transformation in heroes, even though I liked his caped, pointier design just prior to him turning into that dragon thingy. Why do the final bosses have to look like these ridiculous clusterfucks of a character design when simplicity works just fine? Eggman's final boss in Colors and Lost World both looked simple and fit Eggman's motiff quite well. I actually really like Eggman's mech design in Lost World, even if the boss itself was kinda lame. 

That's not to say I didn't think the boss fights were enjoyable, I thought the Biolizard was a fun boss. However, I think there either simply was not enough buildup for them, their designs looked ridiculous, or both. 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, are you talking about Metal or Shadow?

Metal.

4 minutes ago, McGroose said:

The only monster of the week (We still calling them that?) I liked in the series has been Chaos. His design is simplistic, yet cool, made entirely out of water with just a nervous system. It works - simplicity in these designs works in the long run, I think. Chaos isn't the first time we had a non-mechanical boss, or even a boss that was strictly a single element - I mean that in the loosest, inaccurate sense of what elements are: fire, earth, wind, water, ya know. Remember the Rock Guardian boss from Sandopolis? I thought that was neat - it was simplistic in design, not overly complicated. It was nothing but a giant humanoid rock. Hey, you know what, it worked. I liked that boss... just wish he jumped a little quicker. It's Sonic the hedgehog, the designs are all simplistic. Eggman looked simple, and so did the classic main 3. 

Chaos' backstory is very well integrated with the Chaos Emeralds, unlike the Biolizard or Dark Gaia where their direct observable interaction with these plot macguffins wasn't seen until the last minute. Sure, we were hinted at it, but I don't find that good enough. With Chaos, we were with it from start to finish. We see how each Chaos emerald changes him, we see how Chaos was crucial to the story several times throughout. Besides, Chaos isn't just a savage, absolute idiot like the other monsters clearly are (sorta). He had hints of awareness of his surroundings, he had purpose and he could recognize good vs evil. Chaos had a clear link to the ancient (echidna) tribal people of master Island - these people had their existence hinted at in Hidden Palace and Sonic 3 in general, and Chaos helped establish a clear understanding to the player as to why these ancient tribes were no longer around, leaving Knuckles behind as one of the last ones left of his kind. 

Beyond Chaos, I don't like any of the other MOTW. I was so happy to See Eggman return as the Villian in Sonic Colors, I actually didn't even expect it. I'm really happy with the current trend of Eggman being the final boss in his games. Even Forces, for as badly fleshed out as it's story was, did a positive when they made Eggman the big bad at the end and not Infinite, which was 100% what I was expecting. 

With the exception of Chaos so far, no MOTW has been well-integrated enough into the plot for me to find them a satisfying final boss. I don't care if we see Dark Gaia's minions all throughout Unleashed, why should I? That's not Dark Gaia, those are Dark Gaia's mooks. The biolizard always stood out as bizarre to me, Solaris and Iblis look kinda neat yet feel uninspired and do not fit in the Sonic universe at all, and Devil Doom is... ya. The storybook games are kind of their own unique category, but I never liked those games anyway so whatever.  I didn't even like Metal Sonic's transformation in heroes, even though I liked his caped, pointier design just prior to him turning into that dragon thingy. Why do the final bosses have to look like these ridiculous clusterfucks of a character design when simplicity works just fine? Eggman's final boss in Colors and Lost World both looked simple and fit Eggman's motiff quite well. I actually really like Eggman's mech design in Lost World, even if the boss itself was kinda lame. 

That's not to say I didn't think the boss fights were enjoyable, I thought the Biolizard was a fun boss. However, I think there either simply was not enough buildup for them, their designs looked ridiculous, or both. 

Eggman is boring now

31 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I guess an ancient civilization going power hungry and paying for trying to trifle with said magic is a broad enough net to cast without getting too specific.

Meanwhile, a soldier shooting a girl in the back is a little too direct, not mention real.

26 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Its just that. Let me expand upon this with a tale. There is an IGN video, its about sonic. In this video the guy makes a very good point similar to yours in your thread that there are different demographics that engage with different sonic media in different ways. He proceeded to bungle this point by refusing to acknowledge that the late millennial/ gen z folks he's trying to make a point about grew up with the adventure a simple point which would have made his " live and let live" stance of let people enjoy what what they enjoy and they enjoy media differently in a very simple short way. He cannot admit this and gets nowhere.

Wait, admit what now?