Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

What do you guys think of the CNK tracks in Nitro Fueled?

There's 13. I've only played about six of them. It's been too long since I played CNK, so I hardly remember any of them with the exception of Inferno Island, Jungle Boogie, Tiny Temple & Out of Time which were vaguely familar. I've tried Hyper Spaceway which I assume is the final boss race-track in CNK?

I'm quite liking how different these tracks feel to the CTR tracks. Their design are perhaps a bit more unorthodox, for example having to avoid the train (which moves downscreen) in part of Android Avenue, the crate which (when triggered) opens trap-doors or raises ramps etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did drifting fuck up shooting rockets in the original as well? I can’t remember. Cause that’s been annoying me a lot online and with bosses

I think Beenox missed the memo on what difficulty actually means regarding fairness.

Seriously, rubber banding AI with miracle weapon item spams is NOT what I consider a good time.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

I think Beenox missed the memo on what difficulty actually means regarding fairness.

Seriously, rubber banding AI with miracle weapon item spams is NOT what I consider a good time.

Not to mention jumping causing several shortcuts to now be broken, including one of the most fan-beloved shortcuts (Sewer Speedway). They also removed several other shortcuts, including one of the major ones on Oxide Speedway.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the speed control in this game feels shoddy, the power sliding feels way off, etc.

Making certain missions, hell to clear.

Just now, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Also, maybe it's just me, but the speed control in this game feels shoddy, the power sliding feels way off, etc.

Making certain missions, hell to clear.

I can't comment on that too much, because it feels like power-sliding as a whole takes a long as hell time to get to grips with. It feels really awkward to have to start an actual drift by turning a corner.

Some people might say it's better because it invites more skill, and hey, that's fair enough, but for me personally, it feels a lot more awkward than MK or TSR's methods of just letting you start the drift. Sometimes, drifting just works for me, other times it turns into a total disaster. Sometimes I can get through Papu's Temple turn perfectly, other times it goes to shit. 

That said, I'd also argue that the powerslide blatantly doesn't work sometimes, especially in certain map design. Dragon Mines especially screwed the pooch in this regard.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I can't comment on that too much, because it feels like power-sliding as a whole takes a long as hell time to get to grips with. It feels really awkward to have to start an actual drift by turning a corner.

Some people might say it's better because it invites more skill, and hey, that's fair enough, but for me personally, it feels a lot more awkward than MK or TSR's methods of just letting you start the drift. Sometimes, drifting just works for me, other times it turns into a total disaster. Sometimes I can get through Papu's Temple turn perfectly, other times it goes to shit. 

That said, I'd also argue that the powerslide blatantly doesn't work sometimes, especially in certain map design. Dragon Mines especially screwed the pooch in this regard.

Dragon Mines’ wooden ramp part was always bad. I feel like you did lose less speed on collisions in the original, though. Still, the better method was always to just hop up rather than powerslide.

2 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

...Uh, bad time to say I'm not facing any issues?

Well... I did faced the issues people are reporting here, but only on my first time playing. There are things that can and should be adressed, like the jumping most of all, the camera angle in some big jumps are weird, you can't see exactly where you're gonna land... The online mode could use more options and visual aids ... But the main thing is indeed the jumping, aside from being scripted for some shortcuts, most notably in Sewer Speedway, I feel that, just like in the N. Sane Trilogy, you fall quicker when you jump, it's heavier, but also snapier. It needs tweaking. As for the drift, I feel like it's exactly the same, just a bit tighter.

Oh, can't forget about the homing missile, that one is indeed different from the original. It tracks the player but it doesn't follow the track, so using it in tracks like Hot Air Skyway is basically useless because it will try going out of bounds. Unless I'm remembering it wrong...

The Hard AI is balls, that's just ridiculous. That's not hard, that's outright broken. I couldn't even beat Crash Cove... Funnily enough, I beat Ripper Roo and Papu Papu on my first try easily. It really didn't felt like they rubberband or spammed more than in the original.

As for the Wumpa Coins, yeah, I've noticed that I've got more coins by wining in harder tracks. Definitely getting less than a 100 coins per win just because you're playing offline is unfair when the itens are mostly 1000+. IMO, the final coin score should be based on how well you did. Example: Win the race = 100 coins; +50 coins for every opponent knocked; +10 coins for each Wumpa fruit you had when crossed the finish line; +25 coins for leading a lap; and so on. And it should work online and offline the same way.

Not to mention, making the Pit Stop online-only and randomizing the itens is the worst shit. I want to buy N.Trance and Geary, but they never showed up for me... Who thought this was a good idea?

Anyways. I'm glad they at least fixed the online mode ASAP. Had a couple of good races with @TheOcelot earlier today, it was fun.

1 minute ago, Jango said:

Anyways. I'm glad they at least fixed the online mode ASAP. Had a couple of good races with @TheOcelot earlier today, it was fun.

You shouldn't speak so soon, people on Reddit are reporting the Online breaking an hour or so after playing online with the patch installed.

Well, I had a total of 12 online races so far, and only the first one I had on release day was broken AF. All the others ran pretty smoothly, even playing with Stephen who's from another country. 

I just gotta add that I don't understand why the only dub where the narrator doesn't say "start your engines for an Activision production" is the original english one lol 

For anyone who hasn't played the original, this remake is considerably more difficult than the original. In the original CTR, the CPU never used power slides, and you only needed to power slide yourself when facing the N Trophy ghosts or N Oxide ghosts (as they did power slide because they were human recorded). Most CTR players could complete the Adventure mode without even using the power slide. Consequently, the game was very easy once you gained mastery of the power slides. Once you got good, you could lap the CPU on hard mode because of the fact they never power slided.

But in this remake, you absolutely have to use the power slide effectively in order to win even normal races. I think they've gone a bit overboard with it actually, as even I find trouble with the game and I beat all the N Oxide ghosts in the original. Unless you know all the shortcuts and have mastery of the power slide mechanic, I think this would be incredibly difficult on Medium never mind hard.

I've beaten the Adventure mode and am currently going for 100%. I love it, but I do think that it's a game that's designed for CTR experts. Like, if I hadn't played the original for years I'm not sure what I would think of the game's difficulty.

And some areas are objectively far more difficult here. In the original CTR, the N Tropy ghosts didn't take shortcuts, but here they do and are far more difficult to beat as a result.

Considering some of you guys are displeased with certain parts of Nitro-Fueled, I think I should let you know that Activision has created a page on their support website where you can send them (and by extension, Beenox) feedback and report glitches. If you want this game to be the best it can be, this is a good place to start.

So, I've got a theory on something.

One of the announced grand-prixes is one that will be themed as "Out of Time", and involves Baby Crash, Baby Coco, and Baby T as characters/costumes. There's an explicit reference to this in game, because Cortex's baby form from Warped is featured on several Stained Glass windows in Cortex Castle, and given we have the trophy girls/Tawna making a total of six characters for the first grand prix, and the Out of Time grand prix saying there's more to be announced, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Baby Cortex and Baby N Tropy as well. 

However, that isn't the theory. The theory I have is that I don't believe a Twinsanity themed Grand Prix is a pipe dream, I think it is highly, highly likely. Why? Because like the baby themed grand prix, there's very explicit references to such a thing. In the exact same course as Baby Cortex (Cortex Castle), there's two massive hints to the same theme. Firstly - a N Sane Trilogy redesign for Nina Cortex can be seen on several banners, with wearing a tiara. Cortex is also on these banners, wearing a king's crown, and N Brio can be seen with a bucktoothed idiot design as well. 

That would be one thing, but also - Cortex's Coco disguise from the beginning of Crash Twinsanity received a N Sane redesign too. I find it hard to believe that not only would Nina receive a total Nitro-Fuelled design, but also Coco!Cortex, one of the very few disguises Cortex used, and only for a few minutes. It's because of this that I heavily believe we're gonna receive a Twinsanity grand prix, involving: 

• Twinsanity course (Possibly Evil N. Sanity Island or Academy of Evil)
  • Nina Cortex as a playable character
  • N Brio as a playable character (Twinsanity marked his one other major comeback since Crash 2) 
  • Coco-Disguised Cortex as a skin

Fanart created by Shenaniganza of some character model glitches

D9sLMPWX4AAndfO.png

My favorite Crash Bandicoot characters:

Croak Bandifrog and Cecil the Sabre-toothed Sea Slug

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

20 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

What do you guys think of the CNK tracks in Nitro Fueled?

There's 13. I've only played about six of them. It's been too long since I played CNK, so I hardly remember any of them with the exception of Inferno Island, Jungle Boogie, Tiny Temple & Out of Time which were vaguely familar. I've tried Hyper Spaceway which I assume is the final boss race-track in CNK?

I'm quite liking how different these tracks feel to the CTR tracks. Their design are perhaps a bit more unorthodox, for example having to avoid the train (which moves downscreen) in part of Android Avenue, the crate which (when triggered) opens trap-doors or raises ramps etc.

I'm happy that they were included in the game you know, more tracks to play on, but honestly, I don't really know what to say about them and that's because none of CNK's tracks were memorable to me. I mean, they look amazing in this new remaked version, but that's about it to me.

CNK wasn't a bad game I think, just not as memorable as the original CTR. I even prefer Tag Team Racing over Nitro Kart tbh. 😋

32 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Fanart created by Shenaniganza of some character model glitches

D9sLMPWX4AAndfO.png

What the hell are those?

24 minutes ago, Liars said:

I'm happy that they were included in the game you know, more tracks to play on, but honestly, I don't really know what to say about them and that's because none of CNK's tracks were memorable to me. I mean, they look amazing in this new remaked version, but that's about it to me.

CNK wasn't a bad game I think, just not as memorable as the original CTR. I even prefer Tag Team Racing over Nitro Kart tbh. 😋

I still think Nitro Kart should've gotten it's Adventure Mode remade. Hell, go full on with it and add some original elements. Imagine if Velo and Oxide were both from the same galaxy and were in a rivalry with each other (Especially since some CNK characters got re-purposed into Nitro fanboys in the prequel comic). Maybe after Oxide is forced to return to Gasmoxia, Velo decides to one up him by proving he's the best? 

I mean, we already had Oxide return in CNK anyways to get revenge on Crash and co, so it could've been a fun way to tie the two adventure modes together. It feels like a complete and total waste to me that they remastered all of the CNK cast and tracks only to do nothing with them in the main campaign. What's worse is that CNK had a far better adventure mode than CTR in general, especially with the cutscenes:

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I still think Nitro Kart should've gotten it's Adventure Mode remade. Hell, go full on with it and add some original elements. Imagine if Velo and Oxide were both from the same galaxy and were in a rivalry with each other (Especially since some CNK characters got re-purposed into Nitro fanboys in the prequel comic). Maybe after Oxide is forced to return to Gasmoxia, Velo decides to one up him by proving he's the best? 

I mean, we already had Oxide return in CNK anyways to get revenge on Crash and co, so it could've been a fun way to tie the two adventure modes together. It feels like a complete and total waste to me that they remastered all of the CNK cast and tracks only to do nothing with them in the main campaign. What's worse is that CNK had a far better adventure mode than CTR in general, especially with the cutscenes:

I agree. If they included the tracks and characters, why not use them better? And now that you mentioned, I remember that CNK adventure mode was pretty cool, but I don't know, I feel like CTR's and even Tag Team Racing's adventure mode was more fun for me. In Tag Team Racing you could even walk around and explore like a platformer (I know this doesn't really belong in a racing game, but it was fun).

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

So, I've got a theory on something.

One of the announced grand-prixes is one that will be themed as "Out of Time", and involves Baby Crash, Baby Coco, and Baby T as characters/costumes. There's an explicit reference to this in game, because Cortex's baby form from Warped is featured on several Stained Glass windows in Cortex Castle, and given we have the trophy girls/Tawna making a total of six characters for the first grand prix, and the Out of Time grand prix saying there's more to be announced, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Baby Cortex and Baby N Tropy as well. 

However, that isn't the theory. The theory I have is that I don't believe a Twinsanity themed Grand Prix is a pipe dream, I think it is highly, highly likely. Why? Because like the baby themed grand prix, there's very explicit references to such a thing. In the exact same course as Baby Cortex (Cortex Castle), there's two massive hints to the same theme. Firstly - a N Sane Trilogy redesign for Nina Cortex can be seen on several banners, with wearing a tiara. Cortex is also on these banners, wearing a king's crown, and N Brio can be seen with a bucktoothed idiot design as well. 

That would be one thing, but also - Cortex's Coco disguise from the beginning of Crash Twinsanity received a N Sane redesign too. I find it hard to believe that not only would Nina receive a total Nitro-Fuelled design, but also Coco!Cortex, one of the very few disguises Cortex used, and only for a few minutes. It's because of this that I heavily believe we're gonna receive a Twinsanity grand prix, involving: 

• Twinsanity course (Possibly Evil N. Sanity Island or Academy of Evil)
  • Nina Cortex as a playable character
  • N Brio as a playable character (Twinsanity marked his one other major comeback since Crash 2) 
  • Coco-Disguised Cortex as a skin

Considering through datamining it was found out one  upcoming Grand Prix will be Halloween themed (Which I think was confirmed to be the N.Brio one), this could be very well the stealth ''Twinsanity Pack'', since most of the characters and original places you could make a track out of in Twinsanity fit the Halloween aesthetic perfectly.

Beenox also said they'd make full use of the Crash universe for this, not just the racing games, to make it a racing game encapsulating the entire franchise so don't be surprised if we even get titans stuff.

I’d certainly appreciate it if they toned down the difficulty a bit, so I only need to murder my hands when doing time trials and racing online. Hours of adventure having to play like that is brutal.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Considering through datamining it was found out one  upcoming Grand Prix will be Halloween themed (Which I think was confirmed to be the N.Brio one), this could be very well the stealth ''Twinsanity Pack'', since most of the characters and original places you could make a track out of in Twinsanity fit the Halloween aesthetic perfectly.

Beenox also said they'd make full use of the Crash universe for this, not just the racing games, to make it a racing game encapsulating the entire franchise so don't be surprised if we even get titans stuff.

It would be awesome to see this Twinsanity Pack come to life!

Titans stuff I don't think they should bother, unless they find a creative way of implementing the mutants powers into the gameplay, like as power-ups or obstacles in the tracks.

CNK's Adventure Mode would be more difficult potentially since it's much more character specific. The cutscenes are interaction focused so likely only the two teams from that game could play with no Nitro Fuelled mode available. Ripper Roo challenging Papu Papu for example doesn't make a difference at all to what the latter says in his cutscenes, every character just stands there while he talks, while in CNK for example Krunk has very different interactions with both Crash and Cortex according to how they respond. This wouldn't be practical in a game with 30+ characters, especially with only four save slots already occupied for two different Adventure Modes. I'm not even going to compare CTTR's Adventure Mode since the differences between that game and CTR's are like night and day.

I did very much like CNK's story mode for this reason and even if it did just have two teams or even one I'd likely gladly replay it if they replicated it well, but I can understand why the developers wouldn't think it was worth it.

The more glaring omission in CTR NF that CNK had was the option of ACTUAL TEAM RACING.