Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

This was cute. I'm hoping Mania Adventures, even as just short little vignettes, continues to be a thing.

It's the only good thing associated with the Sonic social media.

• Thumbs Up 9

24 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Gotta admit, that's a point there. Classic Amy as per the games of that time comprised of looking overly cutesy but throwing tantrums at the drop of a goddamn dime. 

I guess the difference there was more Classic Amy was a "melodramatic brat" level tantrum thrower, not a "psycho bitch who threatens pain and death" level tantrum thrower like X/spin off games Amy or a "curmudgeonly old woman" level tantrum thrower like Boom Amy.

Spectacular portrayal of the character. Amy is perfect here. Kind compassionate and so willing to do the right thing she'd even do something Sonic didn't approve of, just because it was the right thing to do. (reminds me of when she protected Gamma)

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

Man... Why can't we have the same thing as this but with the modern cast included?

I mean, we could, but then both sides would be happy. Why would they want that?

• Absolutely 2
  • Too Many Rings 3

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Spectacular portrayal of the character. Amy is perfect here. Kind compassionate and so willing to do the right thing she'd even do something Sonic didn't approve of, just because it was the right thing to do. (reminds me of when she protected Gamma)

Yeah, and then realizes Metal Sonic can't be trusted and calls him out  because he made her think it's Sonic who kidnapped the chao in Sonic Heroes 😆

1 hour ago, Jango said:

These people get Sonic. I have every finger crossed for their stay in the franchise for new projects, be it games, animations, soundtracks. Their hearts are in the right place.

Or... "These people get Classic Sonic." Classic Sonic is way more easier to handle because he is, like you already said, very simple. I'm not sure if even this Team could make a charming story for the Adventure, Boom or Modern series, because everything after the Classic era seems to be more complicated than it needed to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Rowl said:

Or... "These people get Classic Sonic." Classic Sonic is way more easier to handle because he is, like you already said, very simple. I'm not sure if this Team could make a charming story for the Adventure, Boom or Modern series, because everything after the Classic era seems to be more complicated than it needs to be. 

Eh, I don't like that train of thought because there is very little about what was presented here that can't be 1 to 1 mapped to their modern counterparts and still work fine.

All you really need to do is swap in the modern models and add a few bigger explosions during the fight scenes and you could call it day.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't think that it will be that easy. A lot of the characters in the modern era seemed to change every single time. Amy for example can be in the modern era many things like a psychotic stalker, a ice girl who likes cute things, an adventures tomboyisch fighter, a hot headed tsundere, a damsel in distress or a feminist who fights for the rights of women. She is not really that well established as a character.

Same also with Knuckles. Can we make jokes with him and the Master Emerald in the Modern Era? Is the Master Emerald and Angel Island still a thing in the Modern Era? Is Knuckles an idiot or a smart leader? 

I think shorts with the Modern Era or any other era after the Classic Era can only work if the universe an characters as as consistent as the classic one.

• Thumbs Up 1

The characterisation wouldn't be an issue. The guys with the last say on characterisation have oversight of their work so they'd just say how they should be this time. 

The problem is that I don't think this silent slapstick style fits the modern cast so well. 

OK, I did not expect them to endear me to Classic Amy so much. I'm normally not a huge fan of her base design either, but seeing the Winter outfit and the way she's animated has swayed me. I love all the detailed references too. This, coupled with the Aggretsuko special, makes for a very cute Christmas indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

The characterisation wouldn't be an issue. The guys with the last say on characterisation have oversight of their work so they'd just say how they should be this time. 

The problem is that I don't think this silent slapstick style fits the modern cast so well. 

They don't need to be silent. I mean, I suppose paying the voice actors would be an issue if we're talking about a Modern version realistically existing but as a concept, it'd work fine so long as they had a decent script to match the genuine charm on screen. 

And yeah, characterization isn't an issue either. They're the same characters, just slightly different versions of them. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I think the obstacle was that pre-SA2 didn't have Cream, who kind of took over as the empath of the group

Which is dumb, as well as a poor excuse for that discrepancy. You know, you can have two female characters show compassion and/or basic mobian decency.

2 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

That's understood. I just don't understand the part where the characters have to be completely different from one another to the point where they only have one or two defining character traits or devoid of them completely

They're cartoons and are meant to be exaggerated, yes. They're also meant to be very malleable and character parallels happen all the time. It's part of good character foiling. There'll be the opposite personalities but there will also be the characters who get along really well because "one character sees themselves in the other" you know. 

But no, multiple characters can still serve similar purposes. I mean, yeah, some people kind of forget that and other characters are better suited to doing it than others. But it's no need to suddenly strip the characters of meaningful traits. Because yeah. 

Exactly.

such as the majority of Sonic Forces' cast. 

Uh...what?

Sonic and Tails. Tails sees the hero he can be in Sonic. 

Amy's dynamic with Cream feels like it was meant to be the same, so it's super confusing when it... doesn't play like that. 

Do I need to repeat myself so soon...?

Geezus, Sega. Find someone with passion for the Modern Sonic branch of this series who can do what Sonic Mania has been for Classic Sonic. Sheesh

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

Man... Why can't we have the same thing as this but with the modern cast included?

I know, right?

The modern cast are written so differently that it'd probably be jarring, but I don't think it wouldn't be unfitting.

The real problem is that nobody actually knows how the modern cast are supposed to be characterized, since they change at the drop of a hat depending on the game. It's so inconsistent that any attempt at characterizing them properly tends to be scrutinized.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

a "curmudgeonly old woman" level tantrum thrower like Boom Amy.

Well, that's one way of putting it. :lol: 

47 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, we could, but then both sides would be happy. Why would they want that?

Money and goodwill. Also, cause it can be fun.

42 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Or... "These people get Classic Sonic." Classic Sonic is way more easier to handle because he is, like you already said, very simple. I'm not sure if even this Team could make a charming story for the Adventure, Boom or Modern series, because everything after the Classic era seems to be more complicated than it needed to be. 

Pretty much.

32 minutes ago, Rowl said:

a feminist who fights for the rights of women.

That's really only a Boom thing.

Anyway, I'd say Amy and Knuckles actually benefit from that level of variation.

32 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Is Knuckles an idiot or a smart leader? 

Neither.

30 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Rather than simple vs complicated I'd call it an issue of clarity; a lot of the Modern characters are really muddled due to the constantly shifting direction of the modern games, while the Classic characters stayed a lot clearer and more focused in their personalities, relationships, and roles.

• Thumbs Up 5

The classic characters are just more consistently written and not subjected to...all of the stuff that Modern Sonic has to, and continues to endure.

I think the problem is that there often lacks some sort of string to tie all these traits together into one fully fleshed out personality. I think that's why many fans can make out full and likeable characters out of the cast. All the stuff is there to make them work, just it's all scattered into awkward junk like a beautiful jigsaw not pieced together.

One thing many have to remember is that certain characters come in all sort of different tones and flavours. Smart isn't just smart, you can be smart in many different areas for example like wisdom, education, common sense, they're not all the same, and in some cases many characters can be smart in one area and completely stupid in another and if written consistently enough into a proper personality that works as a realistic trait. Certain depictions of Tails make this difference in writing quality obvious.

I've also noted how a trait like a temper can be depicted in all sort of different and non-interchangeable ways, which can take affect on the likes of Amy.

Nah, we know their characterization, that would be no issue. If they sticked with what is known the modern characters would be just fine in that format, not unfitting, not impossible.

I wouldn't mind seeing Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Cream, Blaze, Big, Chaotix, in the same situation. Like Shadow doesnt need to be in a serious situation all of the time, he could work in a "Christmas situation" just fine. This idea of characters being too muddled makes no sense to me. No need to complicate things.

• Thumbs Up 2

The classic versions of the characters aren't "Consistently written." They're barely written at all. They have a few informed traits but that's it. It's then a lot easier to slot into whatever feels right and not ruffle any feathers as long as you abide by these traits. No hard lines about their characters were drawn and no major developments were reached. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Like... Would many people be against a christmas special with Shadow and Cream as they deliver presents to people while Shadow learns about Christmas spirit and not be so grumpy? I would love that! And I'm sure other people would too.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

9 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I think the problem is that there often lacks some sort of string to tie all these traits together into one fully fleshed out personality. I think that's why many fans can make out full and likeable characters out of the cast. All the stuff is there to make them work, just it's all scattered into awkward junk like a beautiful jigsaw not pieced together.

This.

For what it's worth, I do feel like there are some examples and/or attempts that could be counted as such composition.

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The classic versions of the characters aren't "Consistently written." They're barely written at all. They have a few informed traits but that's it. It's then a lot easier to slot into whatever feels right and not ruffle any feathers as long as you abide by these traits. No hard lines about their characters were drawn and no major developments were reached. 

Yea, I don't agree with this. You can clearly make out who these characters are just based on these shorts alone, and they very clearly have defined roles. 

They're just simple yet charming is all; able to convey a lot of characterization with just simple gestures.

2 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Like... Would many people be against a christmas special with Shadow and Cream as they deliver presents to people while Shadow learns about Christmas spirit and not be so grumpy? I would love that! And I'm sure other people would too.

Yea, but what would lead to a situation like this? Shadow isn't the type of character you can just drop into any situation and make it work because he's way too intricate of a character to work that way.

• Thumbs Up 2