Awoo.

Teen Titans Go to the Movies - Your New Favourite Movie - What could Possibly Go Wrong? (2018)

Ryannumber1gamer

1 minute ago, Tara said:

That actually makes me kind of sad, because I was very much looking forward to seeing how Lauren Faust's DC Superhero Girls reboot would play out.  I mean, it had to be better than the cynical cashgrab that came before it, right?

Oh it definitely is. Don't even worry about that. I was just coming at it from the perspective of her past work.

Even then, I'm still interested in the actual series. Who knows how much the length of the feature had to do with its quality. Give it a proper 11 min run-time and it's anyone's guess as to how they could flesh things out and improve.

The DC Super Hero Girls short was fun for the most part; there's a lot on energy in it, but it felt like it was building up to a big punchline at the end... and then nothing happened.  It just sort of fizzles out.

11 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Oh it definitely is. Don't even worry about that. I was just coming at it from the perspective of her past work.

Even then, I'm still interested in the actual series. Who knows how much the length of the feature had to do with its quality. Give it a proper 11 min run-time and it's anyone's guess as to how they could flesh things out and improve.

Yeah, hopefully the actual show will be much better.  Even Faust's weaker works tend to be pretty enjoyable so I'm still looking forward to it.  Just sad that it didn't leave a great impression is all, since I like the concept of the show a lot more than its previous executions.

40 minutes ago, Tara said:

See, that sounds funny in a grossly dark way, but I'm not sure I trust that it was done in a way that is funny.  I haven't seen it, so I'm not judging it.  Just saying that TTG has some good ideas, but it's usually the execution more than anything that bugs me.  As a contrast, I did read one of the Free Comic Book Day issues of the TTG comics and... they're not horrible.  Maybe it's because it doesn't have the added layer of animation and sound, but it wasn't nearly as obnoxious, forced, or digusting as the show.  It was just a cute, little slice of life story and that's about it. Wouldn't mind the show if it were more like that.

I'm okay with them still using Slade, since it is based off the TTG 2003 version, but given how the landscape of animation has changed in the past fifteen years, it does come across as awkward that they're afraid to use the name Deathstroke despite it no longer really being a controversial name by today's standards.

This is something I rather reluctantly agree with.  Having rewatched the original as it was airing on CN last year, I still think the story and most of the humor still holds up today.  But the shameless weeaboo pandering has only become even more obvious with age.  While it is considerably stronger than many of the shows of this category, it's more evident today than ever that it was a product of the early 2000's anime boom in the United States, emulating it not vaguely in terms of visual style and humor, but even marketing its theme song based on the fact that the pop duo singing it was Japanese, rather than for its actual... you know... quality.  And that's nothing against Puffy AmiYumi.  They're a decent duo, but selling them on that notion is a bit... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh.... made even worse by Trouble in Tokyo's more... awkward moments.

All this to say that if they did revive the series for a season 6, I wouldn't mind if they downplayed the kawaii anime uguuu nature of the series.  For that matter, I also wouldn't particularly mind if they pretended season 5 never happened, since I don't think we're ever going to get a satisfying conclusion to that after all these years.

That actually makes me kind of sad, because I was very much looking forward to seeing how Lauren Faust's DC Superhero Girls reboot would play out.  I mean, it had to be better than the cynical cashgrab that came before it, right?

I wouldn't mind for a more animation type like young justice but yea the early anime boom animation style did not age well  the stories were fine in themselves. Also do puffyami still do stuff?

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I wouldn't mind for a more animation type like young justice but yea the early anime boom animation style did not age well  the stories were fine in themselves. Also do puffyami still do stuff?

According to Wikipedia, yes. Not only are they good-will ambassadors, they got a reality TV show.

• Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

They still do gigs, but they haven't released anything new in some time.

EDIT: I WAS WRONG, THEY'VE ACTUALLY BEEN RELEASING A STEADY LINE OF SINGLES EVERY YEAR (OR AT LEAST EVERY TWO YEARS).  THEY JUST HAVEN'T RELEASED A NEW ALBUM SINCE 2011.

• Nice Smile 1

48 minutes ago, Tara said:

because I was very much looking forward to seeing how Lauren Faust's DC Superhero Girls reboot would play out.  I mean, it had to be better than the cynical cashgrab that came before it, right?

You mean the cash grab that turned several villains into "redeeming" super heroes right?

4 minutes ago, Tara said:

They still do gigs, but they haven't released anything new in some time.

I WAS WRONG, THEY'VE ACTUALLY BEEN RELEASING A STEADY LINE OF SINGLES EVERY YEAR (OR AT LEAST EVERY TWO YEARS).  THEY JUST HAVEN'T RELEASED A NEW ALBUM SINCE 2011.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

You mean the cash grab that turned several villains into "redeeming" super heroes right?

The very one!

So, the movie released earlier this week. I've been hearing good things about it lately (mainly about the jokes), but I'd have to see it to believe it, and I'm not planning on watching it anytime soon.

I saw the TTG movie, and all I have to say is why couldn't the show itself be that good? That was one of the funniest movies I've seen so far this year! I hate the show itself, but the movie was great! I just hope the tease they showed mid-credits turns out to be true.