Awoo.

Forces story: what would you like to see.

Red Hot Jack

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

And when is the time for that? Because it sounds an awful lot like "never".

The time was, before mania was a thing. 

And now mania is a thing.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

If Sonic Team's too afraid to change anything for fear of pissing off some group of fans, nothing's ever going to get better.

....But they changed a bunch of things before pissing off fans. Like the move to 3d, or removing friends. 

maybe its time for less all encompassing sweeping large changes and for more focused ones. That will fix the problems fans have with the series, thats how things get better. Not reinventing the wheel every game. Because they were already doing that

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, if we're going to go hard on this reboot garbage, I expect Classic fans to take a hit too. I don't see why only one branch of the franchise needs to put up with it.

I see no benefits to this approach when it's not even a guarantee it'll improve. The series' issues are all fixable--Sonic Team is just incompetent so maybe that's where a shake-up needs to happen.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

It's not a mess honestly in every forces thread all you do is jump in to complain of how bad the modern games stories are we get it. We don't care

Then just ignore him, geez.

These threads wouldn't descend into the circular bullshit they always tend to if y'all would quit making these things so personal. We get it, it's annoying. Either find a way to actually argue his point or just put him on your ignore list. We shut down a thread last night for this crap and I'm getting tired of seeing the discussion go nowhere and making me feel less inclined to even participate in these threads.

Let's us shut it down than. For the main point noting is wrong with the story. To many use the middle school term edgy  and edgelord when someone presents a story or villain that isn't your typical slightly bad villain but makes you giggle at a joke every few minutes aka eggman. Edgy why not look at chaos.  a story found in adventure. Of a water god driven to rage and anger seeing his friends killed by greedy echidnas. Leading him to flood the world and kill them all until sealed away. Sonic must do battle against him he raises again and floods a city possibly killed hundreds off screen until sonic gets serious in stimopping.

Or say sa2 where eggman discovers shadow a weapon created by his grandfather who can control the power of the emeralds.  here we learn sonic also can tap into this power.  granted he is not a master but he learnt how to. Eggman blows up half the moon EDGY. We find out the real threat is shadows older brother to a extent that is the real menace who wants to run a sucide mission of bringing down a space station inrmto the earth both first edgelord and sonic go super to warp him away to save the earth.

Even the old games had stories. With eggman building a giant warship to enslave the earth. And trying to burn the island to the ground

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 2

29 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And when is the time for that? Because it sounds an awful lot like "never".

Correct. It should "never" happen. There's no reason to nuke this version of Sonic in the canon when they could functionally do so just by writing it differently. Like a comic book story arc where the things that happened before are canon but the characters act differently and things happen that wouldn't have before. 

I would like to see deeper motives and character interactions like we had in Sonic Adventure. The story-telling and varying character perspectives is what made Sonic Adventure the most replayable for me in terms of replaying the story. Especially in a world where Eggman finally took over the world with four dangerous villains that the gang defeated previously, I want to see what every character feels about the situation. I don't want the story to just be centered around what Sonic, Classic Sonic, and the OC think. The Sonic series have an ensemble of characters and they're what brought the story to life in Sonic Adventure. Please do the same with Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really wasn't sure where to post this, but Nakamura said on Twitter today that the story was written in Japan, then the dialogue was adapted in America, and then the whole thing was rewritten again in Japan. That's new to me. 

Edit: he must mean the Pontaff dialogue was re-translated for the Japanese version.

https://twitter.com/sonicjpnews/status/898912390716178432

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

Infinite to be a really interesting and competent villain. Tails to not be out of character. Sonic doing more action than just standing around talking.

But most importantly?

For that whole Mania connection to be resolved

• Thumbs Up 1

What would I want to see?

I hope the heroes reclaim the Phantom Ruby and send Classic back where he came from. Seriously. If they wanted to, they could break the Ruby in a Boss fight, and you'd have a paradox free Classic Sonic to tote around future games in the series a'la Silver.

Of all the things Forces story can do, that is what scares more the most. Gotta get rid of the 2D crutch.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

What would I want to see?

I hope the heroes reclaim the Phantom Ruby and send Classic back where he came from. Seriously. If they wanted to, they could break the Ruby in a Boss fight, and you'd have a paradox free Classic Sonic to tote around future games in the series a'la Silver.

Of all the things Forces story can do, that is what scares more the most. Gotta get rid of the 2D crutch.

Episode 66 of the Sonic Show podcast has some insider information which reveals that the lyrics of Fist Bump have to do with something at the end of the game. "Before I say goodbye to you, one more last fist bump." 

So it seems that Classic Sonic goes back to his own dimension at the game's end. I know that functionally means little given the wisps staying around, but eh, it's a ray of hope. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

5 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I really wasn't sure where to post this, but Nakamura said on Twitter today that the story was written in Japan, then the dialogue was adapted in America, and then the whole thing was rewritten again in Japan. That's new to me. 

Edit: he must mean the Pontaff dialogue was re-translated for the Japanese version.

https://twitter.com/sonicjpnews/status/898912390716178432

I believe this is roughly how it worked for Colours and Generations, yes (with Lost World Pontaff supposedly had more freedom... and a shorter deadline).  Over in Japan, they write a story outline that says something like, "Scene 1, this is what should happen; Scene 2, this is what should happen."  That then gets translated into English and sent to Pontac and Graff in America.  Pontaff then write the scenes, maybe just the dialogue but probably to some extent the action as well, according to the directions in the outline.  That then gets translated back into Japanese and sent back to Sonic Team.  Probably there's a certain amount of back-and-forth and refinement done at that point, too.  For a game with an actual plot told from three perspectives and bags of in-level dialogue, little wonder if it takes ages, as opposed to the old days of "everything gets made in Japan, then localised for the west when it's done."

9 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Episode 66 of the Sonic Show podcast has some insider information which reveals that the lyrics of Fist Bump have to do with something at the end of the game. "Before I say goodbye to you, one more last fist bump." 

So it seems that Classic Sonic goes back to his own dimension at the game's end. I know that functionally means little given the wisps staying around, but eh, it's a ray of hope. 

Maybe Infinite uses it to banish the Wisps? And where's the evidence Pontac is here too?

On 8/18/2017 at 3:21 PM, Chameleon of the Spoilers said:

...even though this game makes a lot of choices that pissed off strict classic fans?

They can't be satisfied with Mania? That game isn't good enough for them? Is it too much to ask for a game that isn't blatantly full of classic nostalgia bait. Or for the 3D games to actually be in 3D?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

21 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

They can't be satisfied with Mania? That game isn't good enough for them? Is it too much to ask for a game that isn't blatantly full of classic nostalgia bait. Or for the 3D games to actually be in 3D?

This is kinda what I dislike about classic fans, they get all the attention with nostalgia yet they whine more than other fans. 3D fans should get a better treatment than Forces but it's something.

Yeah, because the argument here is totally about Modern vs Classic, and definitely not about just wanting a good a game. All those Classic fans do is whine. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

I want Sonic to act like the events happening around him actually matter.

I want Tails to stop being so egotistical and defensive. And I want him to do something.

I want Knuckles to stop having all his lines be variations of "You did ok Sonic, but I could've done better". And I want him to do something.

I want Amy to do something.

Let me just save some time, and say that I want most of the characters to do something.

I want Vector to be a detective, and that doesn't mean magically knowing information that he couldn't possibly have obtained.

I want Eggman to be a threat, and I want him to follow up on the threats that he makes.

Actually, I just want scenes that cohesively flow from one scene to another. And please, if they put in another scene where Tails get brain-washed, it better actually matter for once.

You know, I don't know why I didn't just say that I want Pontac and Graff gone. It would've been quicker and more concise.

• Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

Except absolutely no one has made those complaints 

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Chameleon of the Spoilers said:

This is kinda what I dislike about classic fans, they get all the attention with nostalgia yet they whine more than other fans.

You realize this "attention" amounted to a couple of lazy, half-hearted appeals after years of literally nothing, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

All classic fans want is for the series to not go back to being awful; to regain focus on putting out great games that restore the franchise''s reputation, so bigger and even better games will be produced. Mania could be the first step along the road to detox.

If it weren't for "whiny classic" fans like Whitehead and company, this series would be knocking on death''s door. 

Count me as another for Forces story to serve as a soft reboot. Not counting on it to happen though. Hopefully it'll at least not be as awful as in the past.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

You realize this "attention" amounted to a couple of lazy, half-hearted appeals after years of literally nothing, right?

About two? Unless you think the seven other 2D portables were at least equally as lazy and half-hearted, if not more.