Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, dudebro1993 said:

Eggman has regressed since SA2, he nearly killed Sonic! He's been useless since then, never a threat. 

Sonic is boring tbh. He's not a failed comedian but just an average hero, nothing unique unfortunately. 

Like I said, Tails is written better than in Forces (and Unleashed) but he's just so dull, he barely does anything. He's always at Sonic's side, denying him the chance to be independent like in SA1 and SA2.

I'm still sticking with my point about Amy, I find her uninteresting. I see why many people like her new side, But I don't.

They ruined Silver by making him a pathetic fanboy of Whisper. I hate how they made him goofy, it's so childish. He turned from a badass to a simp in the comics.

I couldn't care less about the Chaotix, Orbot and Cubot.

I agree with you about Rouge. I just wish they used her more tbh.

Omega and Blaze are great, I concur. 

I also agree with you about Cream.

The Deadly Six are basically Team Rocket, absolutely useless and used as cannon fodder. 

No opinion about Metal Sonic.

Eggman has been a threat a ton after SA2. He shattered the world in Unleashed, which resulted in the Chaos Emeralds being drained and him siphoning Dark Gaia's energy. He also created the Metal Virus, which, while it did go wrong, was still a massive threat. Besides, him nearly killing Sonic in SA2, while impressive, wasn't his biggest moment as a threat, he just threatened a single character with a gun and sprung a trap on Sonic.

Sonic is Sonic in this, he makes jokes and has fun. I don't see the issue with him.

Tails never stopped being Sonic's sidekick. Besides, Tails has done plenty, if anything one could argue that he does more than all the other non-Sonic characters (Ramming the ship into Metal Overlord, creating the Metal Virus cure, fighting the Deadly Six with Amy, etc...)

Did you only read issue 8? Silver's more than a "Whisper simp", he's crucial for the ending of the Metal Virus arc, even going Super Silver! The reason he's goofier is because his timeline got changed and he no longer remembers 06 (Even though Sonic seems to, apparently).

I'd argue the Deadly Six is more than Team Rocket, or at least Zavok is. Sonic: Bad Guys completely redeemed him to me, and I'm not yet to the Zeti Hunt arc.

2 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Eggman has been a threat a ton after SA2. He shattered the world in Unleashed, which resulted in the Chaos Emeralds being drained and him siphoning Dark Gaia's energy. He also created the Metal Virus, which, while it did go wrong, was still a massive threat. Besides, him nearly killing Sonic in SA2, while impressive, wasn't his biggest moment as a threat, he just threatened a single character with a gun and sprung a trap on Sonic.

Sonic is Sonic in this, he makes jokes and has fun. I don't see the issue with him.

Tails never stopped being Sonic's sidekick. Besides, Tails has done plenty, if anything one could argue that he does more than all the other non-Sonic characters (Ramming the ship into Metal Overlord, creating the Metal Virus cure, fighting the Deadly Six with Amy, etc...)

Did you only read issue 8? Silver's more than a "Whisper simp", he's crucial for the ending of the Metal Virus arc, even going Super Silver! The reason he's goofier is because his timeline got changed and he no longer remembers 06 (Even though Sonic seems to, apparently).

I'd argue the Deadly Six is more than Team Rocket, or at least Zavok is. Sonic: Bad Guys completely redeemed him to me, and I'm not yet to the Zeti Hunt arc.

"He shattered the world in Unleashed, which resulted in the Chaos Emeralds being drained and him siphoning Dark Gaia's energy."

And he like a dumbass let the Emeralds slip from his grasp. Doesn't sound like a threat. In SA2 Sonic only got saved by bullshit plot armour. 

" he's crucial for the ending of the Metal Virus arc, even going Super Silver!"

Like I said before, he's only done one badass thing. For the rest he's a goofy character who is a shadow of his former self.

"I'd argue the Deadly Six is more than Team Rocket, or at least Zavok is. Sonic: Bad Guys completely redeemed him to me, and I'm not yet to the Zeti Hunt arc."

Haven't read Bad Guys yet, so I'll have to take your word for it. 

4 minutes ago, SkullPirateMike said:

He wasn't prioritizing a world-ending threat over Eggman, when he says he's not interested in helping Rouge stop Eggman, Mephiles hasn't even been released yet. Eggman's plan is in motion and Shadow is disinterested. He's not disregarding people in danger because there's a bigger threat, he's disregarding people in danger because he doesn't care, the same way he did in his own game's opening before Black Doom appears. "I don't have time for these humans."

It takes the bigger threat of Mephiles for him to become interested, but that wasn't a shift in focus from a smaller threat to a bigger one, it was a shift from being uninterested in helping to being interested. The situations are comparable because, consistently throughout the games, Shadow hasn't been too fussed about the safety of random strangers. It's gotta be someone he knows or the literal entire world at stake for him to lift a finger.

He wasn't interested in what the Scepter of Darkness was when Rouge asked him about, what the fuck? For someone who claimed to have "played all of the games" you sure have a bad memory of thr details in them.

At no point in the story is Shadow ever made aware of what Eggman is planning.

You're seriously trying to spin this as meaning he wasn't interested when he at no ever knows what Eggman is planning.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

He wasn't interested in what the Scepter of Darkness was when Rouge asked him about, what the fuck? For someone who claimed to have "played all of the games" you sure have a bad memory of thr details in them.

At no point in the story is Shadow ever made aware of what Eggman is planning.

You're seriously trying to spin this as meaning he wasn't interested when he at no ever knows what Eggman is planning.

Okay. Well, you obviously know something about Shadow's motives that wasn't included in the game, so I'll take your word for it.

TBH, I would say that Eggman is as much or even more a threat in some later game and IDW. He pull the trigger with as big destruction weapon and tools than in SA2 nearly each game, where is strategy is mostly either a gigantic bluff, either well, loosing too. Same for IDW, where he unleashed basically the biggest threat, and is shown as being way more ruthless.

It's just that he is at the same time more comedic.

Same for the other character in IDW, they are most often competent and well better balanced.

And… Sonic doesn't do that much joke with Flynn's writing, so calling him a "failed comedian" sounds like kinda strange to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic games need more cutscenes

I'm hoping that'll be the case for Rangers. There's clearly some bigger stuff going on with the symbol in the teaser and that ghost girl that focus testers mentioned, and I'm excited to see how they do this story now that Pontaff is gone and Sonic Team is back in America for the first time since Sonic 06, wasn't it?

2 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

TBH, I would say that Eggman is even more a threat in some later game and IDW. He pull the trigger with way bigger destruction weapon and tools than in SA2, where is strategy is mostly either a gigantic bluff, either well, loosing too. Same for IDW, where he unleashed basically the biggest threat, and is shown as being way more ruthless.

Same for the other character in IDW, they are most often competent and well better balanced.

And… Sonic doesn't do that much joke with Flynn's writing, so calling him a "failed comedian" sounds like kinda strange to me.

He hasn't been close to killing Sonic since SA2. Only Mephiles was able kill Sonic, it was a dirty backstab but still....

Regarding other characters, I'm divided like I mentioned in my previous posts.

Sonic isn't a failed comedian, but he is boring tbh.

8 minutes ago, dudebro1993 said:

He hasn't been close to killing Sonic since SA2. Only Mephiles was able kill Sonic, it was a dirty backstab but still....

Technically he have been close to transforming Sonic in a zombot in IDW, to kill everybody in Forces, etc. (And technically, as Silver go back in time in Forces according to the prequel, and is the one who provoke the fall of the Phantom Ruby prototype, technically it mean that before Silver meddling with time, he had killed everybody in the initial Silver future).

And most of his plot are now kinda destructive xD

7 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Technically he have been close to transforming Sonic in a zombot in IDW, to kill everybody in Forces, etc. (And technically, as Silver go back in time in Forces according to the prequel, and is the one who provoke the fall of the Phantom Ruby prototype, technically it mean that before Silver meddling with time, he had killed everybody in the initial Silver future).

And most of his plot are now kinda destructive xD

Fair enough, you're right about the zombots. 

1 hour ago, SkullPirateMike said:

Okay. Well, you obviously know something about Shadow's motives that wasn't included in the game, so I'll take your word for it.

No, I just actually played them unlike you claimed to.

Like, this is something you can just look up on Youtube.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

No, I just actually played them unlike you claimed to.

Like, this is something you can just look up on Youtube.

I played it like a month ago. The difference is that when Shadow said "I came to rescue you. Nothing more." I took it to mean "I came to rescue you. Nothing more." and you apparently took it as "I came to do everything except hear about that Scepter for a minute." Like, regardless of what Rouge said beforehand, Shadow establishes the one thing he's there for and then clearly rules out all other possibilities. He doesn't say "I'm not interested in hearing about the Scepter." He says point 1: Rescue you. Point 2: Nothing more than that. It's... very clear.

You say there's no way Shadow could've known about the princess being kidnapped by Eggman, and I suppose you're right there, it's possible that Shadow canonically refused to hear all the townspeople who talk constantly about how the princess was kidnapped by Eggman between every stage... but it's a stretch.

You're reading a lot into it, and at that point you can really just imagine Shadow as anything you want and then get mad it doesn't match up, so like... why bother talking about it any more honestly lol

Eggman in the games has not been a real or let me say FELT like a threat since the adventure games and 06. In the comics IDW has painted him as something id like to see in the games. Pretty evil with moments of funny

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman is a fucking bitch in the comics, Archie too, but the guy here had a priority in turning to zombot the village that helped him when he was Mr Tinker, as first goal after infecting Sonic.

9 hours ago, SkullPirateMike said:

I played it like a month ago. The difference is that when Shadow said "I came to rescue you. Nothing more." I took it to mean "I came to rescue you. Nothing more." and you apparently took it as "I came to do everything except hear about that Scepter for a minute." Like, regardless of what Rouge said beforehand, Shadow establishes the one thing he's there for and then clearly rules out all other possibilities. He doesn't say "I'm not interested in hearing about the Scepter." He says point 1: Rescue you. Point 2: Nothing more than that. It's... very clear.

You say there's no way Shadow could've known about the princess being kidnapped by Eggman, and I suppose you're right there, it's possible that Shadow canonically refused to hear all the townspeople who talk constantly about how the princess was kidnapped by Eggman between every stage... but it's a stretch.

You're reading a lot into it, and at that point you can really just imagine Shadow as anything you want and then get mad it doesn't match up, so like... why bother talking about it any more honestly lol

Sorry, but... Kuzu is OBJECTIVELY in the right...

• Thumbs Up 2

Umm, shouldn't this discussion be in The IDW Shadow Topic?

Either way I don't see what's even the point arguing over Shadow's motives at start of 06, since he's clearly doing job for GUN.

I'm fairly certain he was being a heroic hedgehog and following GUN's orders was him doing his job to keep world safe from Eggman. Sonic saves Elise, he's protecting Rouge and object she was carrying. Both important tasks meant to stop Eggman.
But if you don't agree, then it doesn't matter either way. At this moment in story Shadow is following orders So even if he doesn't wants to save Elise, apparently neither does GUN.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's no real rule governing that they go to the IDW Shadow topic because technically this topic is still good for that discussion, but yeah a lot of people here are a bit tired of talking about it. I guess there's not much else IDW to talk about right now anyway.

44 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Umm, shouldn't this discussion be in The IDW Shadow Topic?

Does anyone think we'll see Infinite in IDW? It's clear Sega has plans for him at the moment, otherwise they'd just let Flynn use him, but does that seem like a permanent situation or could we see him get the treatment Flynn gave Zavok and get a better version of Infinite?

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Does anyone think we'll see Infinite in IDW? It's clear Sega has plans for him at the moment, otherwise they'd just let Flynn use him, but does that seem like a permanent situation or could we see him get the treatment Flynn gave Zavok and get a better version of Infinite?

I hope he will appear in the comics, but I expect his next appearance to be in the next game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It could mean they have plans to bring him back, or they consider him "dead" like Eggman Nega.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

It could mean they have plans to bring him back, or they consider him "dead" like Eggman Nega.

I don't think Nega's considered dead. Like, Mephiles and Black Doom are, but IIRC, Ian hasn't even tried to see if he's usable in this comic yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Razule said:

I believe the Infinite theme was used in the Sonic Rangers demo according to focus tester leaks, which is interesting at the very least

58 minutes ago, Razule said:

Nega is alive, he’s just been consigned to the Olympics for all time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I don't think Nega's considered dead. Like, Mephiles and Black Doom are, but IIRC, Ian hasn't even tried to see if he's usable in this comic yet.

That's why the quotation marks and specified him and not "Nega, Doom, and Mephiles". He's "we just don't want to touch him" territory