Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I think if the "glitch theory" is right that they'll do something like for Starline, that is a platypus (a monotreme like the Echidnas), and that WaterTails will be a fennec or some fox-like creature, and ThunderSonic some kind of hedgheog like (maybe a tenrec like Gold or a porcupine ?)

It's always interessing to have new villains,  it's a new challenge for Sonic & Tails 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ooh, the Ashura inspiration is really clear now. Tenrec was my second guess after porcupine going by how they were drawn in Archie.

3 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

image.png.54ee26c618a276e5a3f8034bd605b367.png

Would they get in trouble with Penders regarding this design or is this just coincidence and they are not going to get in trouble?

9 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Would they get in trouble with Penders regarding this design or is this just coincidence and they are not going to get in trouble?

Well, Surge here more shares a common ancestor than being directly derivative of Scourge, who Penders neither named nor designed.

Even if he did, what are the similarities between Surge and Evil Sonic, the thing Penders actually holds domain over? They're a hedgehog and they're bad? Yeah, not enough to get a lawsuit going. That's less than Chronicles had, and he still settled out of court for that one, probably because there's no case to be made that the Brotherhood "plagiarized" the Dark Legion.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

They wouldn't get in trouble, but I'd be surprised if he didn't say something dumb about this soon.

21 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Well, Surge here more shares a common ancestor than being directly derivative of Scourge, who Penders neither named nor designed.

Even if he did, what are the similarities between Surge and Evil Sonic, the thing Penders actually holds domain over? They're a hedgehog and they're bad? Yeah, not enough to get a lawsuit going. That's less than Chronicles had, and he still settled out of court for that one, probably because there's no case to be made that the Brotherhood "plagiarized" the Dark Legion.

20 minutes ago, Razule said:

They wouldn't get in trouble, but I'd be surprised if he didn't say something dumb about this soon.

I guess I can't see them getting in trouble for this because technically speaking, Ian Flynn created these characters, so if Penders decided to complain about these characters being like the characters he made, then he really wouldn't have a case against Flynn because Flynn created these characters, so therefore, Penders would be complaining about characters that were created by Flynn.

When the IDW book first came out, Ken Penders accused Ian, et. al of swiping at him because they made two skunk characters (Rough and Tumble) who have zero resemblance to St. John from the Archie book. The only way he knows how to get attention anymore is to just attack Ian.

Anything he wants to say about Surge can be disregarded as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 9

Can we please give him the Voldemort treatment and call him "He who shall not be named" or "The Dark one" But not Dark Lord....Lord is not a title he should have lol

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Can we please give him the Voldemort treatment and call him "He who shall not be named" or "The Dark one" But not Dark Lord....Lord is not a title he should have lol

If he's going to keep stirring culture-war bullshit, courting the sympathy of comicsgate freaks and sending them after the current creative team (that is to say stochastic harassment, not a targeted campaign), we shouldn't be ignoring him. He's passed into the realm of actively trying to harm people here. The least we can do is serve as good documentation of his bad behavior such that an ignorant person will find us before it finds the apologia toward him.

• Fist Bump 7

7 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

We should simply not refer to . It's that simple.

10 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

He's not some kind of demon, he's a clown.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

He's not some kind of demon, he's a clown.

Demon...clown....

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

We should simply not refer to . It's that simple.

Would like to but it's gonna happen regardless.

43 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Not even that much, Surge is a Tenrec, a different animal that bares a resemblance to hedgehogs - there was another one named Gold introduced by Evan Stanley in the Silver Age during post reboot Archie.

latest?cb=20160525075737

Given that Surge is also a Starline creation (who himself is based on a bug), it's clear that Surge is based more on Ashura than Scourge. All they have in common is 'evil counterpart to Sonic who is green', and even the green part of Scourge came from what happens when you invert Sonic's fur colour and eye colour (green fur + blue eyes instead of blue fur + green eyes).

• Thumbs Up 4

Changing the subject, do you think that this recent story line will be as dark as the Metal Virus Saga or a bit lighter in tone?

7 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Changing the subject, do you think that this recent story line will be as dark as the Metal Virus Saga or a bit lighter in tone?

It's very hard to imagine how they'd top the zombie apocalypse arc in darkness, so I'd say no. I don't think they will for a while.

• Thumbs Up 2

TBH it kind of bugged me how I could immediately tell Surge are a girl solely because she wore clothes. The comics can make any character wear clothes or not wear clothes similar to pre-reboot Sally, but keep things so consistent with "all guys don't wear clothes, all girls do" makes the universe feel more contrived.

Starline is the only exception I think we've seen to the rule.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

TBH it kind of bugged me how I could immediately tell Surge are a girl solely because she wore clothes. The comics can make any character wear clothes or not wear clothes similar to pre-reboot Sally, but keep things so consistent with "all guys don't wear clothes, all girls do" makes the universe feel more contrived.

Not strictly true. There’s a few other male characters who wear clothes too - Mimic, Clutch, Elder Scruffy, Slinger the Ocelot, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, CertifiedNobody said:

Guys can wear clothes, they just can't wear pants.

• Thumbs Up 1