Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

New bumblekast.

Infinite's backstory wasn't deeper meant to be more. He legit just wanted to see the world burn. It is not more complicated than that. Ian flynn was provided with the reference material

Yeah, I do remember that. SEGA specifically provided the brief outline of events that should happen in each comic and the rest was up to him & the artist.

In other news, I should probably start listening again. How many episodes has it been since Aleah's Fire Emblem episode?

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

New bumblekast.

Infinite's backstory wasn't deeper meant to be more. He legit just wanted to see the world burn. It is not more complicated than that. Ian flynn was provided with the reference material. Guess that explains why he seemingly didn't give a shit about his friends being dead.

haha, he really is Broly lol. 

So a bit random, but I was wondering, do we have a definitive list of all the times sheep girl has turned up in the IDW run so far? Just kindof curious really, I know she turns up a few times as a background character.

Issue #2: kCHR31U.jpg

Issue #13: SbC0aEK.jpg

Issue #24: nFXWWIl.jpg

Issue #25: KnSSiab.jpg

Issue #26: uk3SppL.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

So, what do you think will be up with Zavok?

28 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

So a bit random, but I was wondering, do we have a definitive list of all the times sheep girl has turned up in the IDW run so far? Just kindof curious really, I know she turns up a few times as a background character.

That's just about all of them.

Tells a neat story of a timid girl who followed Amy into the Restoration and even suited up for battle when the virus situation started getting worse.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:30 PM, Kuzu said:

haha, he really is Broly lol. 

Why Broly?

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

As a side note, I like the fact that Sheep Girl has appeared in at least 5 issues of IDW now, but doesn't have a wiki page, while Ron, the chili dog vendor from T&W #1 gets his own page. https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Ron#Others

That is funny.

I'd say it's because he has an established name and role.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Big Panda said:

She only shows up in ABT issues.

That narrows it down quite nicely.

ABT also did #7 and the TSR one shot, but she doesn't appear in either. Probably because #7 is just Sonic and Metal Sonic fighting on an airship, while TSR focuses on a race with all the TSR racers.

It's a minor thing, but I must admit, it would be kind of cool if she stuck around. Doesn't have to be as an actual character, but I do like recurring easter eggs like this.

I'll fully admit that I was skeptical of the IDW comics at first, mostly as a result of being a tad bitter over the cancellation of the Archie Sonic and Megaman titles (still a little bummed about Megs getting canned but I digress). I decided to suck it up and pick up the Tangle and Whisper limited series since I just happened to find a few issues at my local bookstore and was instantly hooked. The series so far has been a showcase for how well Ian Flynn does when given the chance to create a world wholehog, pun entirely intended, and when he doesn't have to contend with restrictive mandates which has lead to some of my favorite Sonic content in years.

3 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

ABT also did #7 and the TSR one shot, but she doesn't appear in either. Probably because #7 is just Sonic and Metal Sonic fighting on an airship, while TSR focuses on a race with all the TSR racers.

It's a minor thing, but I must admit, it would be kind of cool if she stuck around. Doesn't have to be as an actual character, but I do like recurring easter eggs like this.

Same here, I like little cameos that fans can have fun scanning the artwork for in each issue.

11 hours ago, KingOfWishfulThinking said:

I'll fully admit that I was skeptical of the IDW comics at first, mostly as a result of being a tad bitter over the cancellation of the Archie Sonic and Megaman titles (still a little bummed about Megs getting canned but I digress).

Y'know it might not mean anything but recently Archie Mega Man was taken off Comixology which implies Archie no longer have the rights and it could be up for sale. Now yeah I do admit if a new Mega Man comics starts up it'll probably be a brand new continuity but as I like to bring up a lot IDW has done revivals of dead books before.

11 hours ago, KingOfWishfulThinking said:

The series so far has been a showcase for how well Ian Flynn does when given the chance to create a world wholehog, pun entirely intended, and when he doesn't have to contend with restrictive mandates which has lead to some of my favorite Sonic content in years.

He still have restrictive mandates, they are just character focused now.

Man I'm missing these comics. It's been ages..........Forbidden Planet in the UK keeps putting the date back which I know Isn't their fault It's just a bummer.

32 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Y'know it might not mean anything but recently Archie Mega Man was taken off Comixology which implies Archie no longer have the rights and it could be up for sale. Now yeah I do admit if a new Mega Man comics starts up it'll probably be a brand new continuity but as I like to bring up a lot IDW has done revivals of dead books before.

Who knows, I don't hold much hope since Mega Man isn't nearly as recognizable as Sonic or Transformers but I can still hope!

25 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

He still have restrictive mandates, they are just character focused now

Oh I know, but they don't really seem as restricting as they were in the post-gw Archie books. I remember reading that Sega was handling issues with the mandates on a case-by-case basis now too? Either way I think the writing for the series has been really solid up to this point and I'm pretty hyped to see the next issue.

2 hours ago, KingOfWishfulThinking said:

Who knows, I don't hold much hope since Mega Man isn't nearly as recognizable as Sonic or Transformers but I can still hope!

Oh I know, but they don't really seem as restricting as they were in the post-gw Archie books. I remember reading that Sega was handling issues with the mandates on a case-by-case basis now too? Either way I think the writing for the series has been really solid up to this point and I'm pretty hyped to see the next issue.

Ian flynn has made very specific notice that it is not better,but different. I cant point to obvious examples like shadow. But there are problably a myriad of restrictions reasonable or no made by sega about characters we dont see.

Ian flynn specifically it isnt better,  just different

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Welp. That's what I get for putting off buying those earlier volumes I wanted lol

I'm hoping that particular version won't have any problems getting reprinted and continued under a publisher like Udon, if it comes back at all. It was a really good book from what I read and only having a passing familiarity with Mega Man.

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Welp. That's what I get for putting off buying those earlier volumes I wanted lol

I'm hoping that particular version won't have any problems getting reprinted and continued under a publisher like Udon, if it comes back at all. It was a really good book from what I read and only having a passing familiarity with Mega Man.

It shouldn't have a problem, the only reason Archie Sonic got hit was due to Archie's own stupid contracts allowing Penders to run rampant. I'm fairly certain the original characters are owned by either Capcom or Ian.

That said, I really hope IDW gets the rights to the series.

I’d prefer IDW got the Mega Man rights if only so they can reprint the crossovers.

Not just for Crossover reprintsbut I'd rather IDW get the rights because they're generallya better company than Udon. I mean I'll take delays over years of absolute no comics at all or just one issue a year.

Why exactly did Archie lose both the Capcom & Sega licenses at the same time? Sega must've been happy with the quality of the book since the creative team transferred seamlessly. Assumed it was probably some financial/legal mismanagement on Archie's end, but never found a clear answer on it.

2 hours ago, Moose the Cat said:

Why exactly did Archie lose both the Capcom & Sega licenses at the same time?

Archie must still have the Mega Man license since they’re still selling them digitally on their app.

Either that or Capcom simply hasn't noticed. ...I'm only half joking.

I really do hope that Mega Man series gets to continue someday. I finally read through it all recently and it's brilliant. Seriously, now whenever people shit on Flynn's writing I think about that book before anything even though I still love his Sonic work lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Moose the Cat said:

Why exactly did Archie lose both the Capcom & Sega licenses at the same time? Sega must've been happy with the quality of the book since the creative team transferred seamlessly. Assumed it was probably some financial/legal mismanagement on Archie's end, but never found a clear answer on it.

Apparently, the Megaman book was somewhat frequently dipping in sales and the crossovers became an effort to help make them consistent. Combine that with World's Unite doing nowhere as well on a bigger budget and Archie investing in rebrands or spinoffs at the time....

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

ddv1xpw-117ad47e-445f-4a41-9f93-5281f39a

More awesome fanart by JoeAdok

Mimic's face is so... :joy:

Ya'll ready for Egg-O Ova?