Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I actually think it's good that theres more than one character talking about it but it being Espio makes it less significant than it would have been if someone closer to him was dou

WAIT

WHERE THE KNUCK IS FUCKLES

He is in a better place in a land in the heavens......Angel Island XP

14 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Honestly, this is probably one of the more meaningful uses of her since...Battle?

Like, there's X and Archie New252, but honestly, this arc, while a bit miniscule in places, has given her the most thorough focus and story relevance.

Too bad it had to be done this way though.

Spoiler

A shame that her most important story role recently is basically her being effectively killed off. I would have preferred if she started fighting again like she did when Emerl was getting hurt back in Battle. Still, at least Tails' reaction is satisfying to my inner Taiream shipper, and it looks like he'll do the fighting for her to avenge her. I just wish Cream herself got some action before getting knocked out of the game.

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

It was one thing when it was Shadow calling out Sonic, since he's kinda meant to be his foil and opposite. Now we have his own allies calling Sonic out too? Unless this leads to some type of rift forming between Sonic and his friends, which I highly doubt will happen, I don't see a point either.  It feels like Lost World when the game was calling out Sonic for all of his mistakes, but never actually letting him learn from them.

So what's going to be the fall out from this arc? They're obviously not going to kill Eggman, so that's out. Sonic letting him go after all of this would be the absolute height of stupidity. Eggman could slip away on his own, but then what is the lesson that Sonic learns?  "Hey kids, never show mercy to your enemies otherwise it will bite you in the ass" that doesn't feel like a child-friendly message. 

I don't want to say this arc is a letdown, because I DO find this pretty interesting. But I can't help but wonder just how ambitious is flynn trying to be and if he is even allowed to get away with it. 

They could try to put Eggman in a cell, but we all know that won't be a permanent solution. It would be a good way to see how Starline does by himself though. 

Espio is still hard cycling through the stages of greif. Lashing out like that is natural and healthy and adds a good deal of desperation and hopelessness to the overall narrative. It's a good way of raising the stakes without needing to go immediately back into killing off more fuzzies for the extra shock value.

Honestly, I like how the two were able to talk through their disagreement w/o coming to blows over it. Usually it would require a third cooler head to intervine, but those two realized fairly quickly that they had more important stuff to take care of rather than to be bickering amonst themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, Celestia said:

I went back and checked and Espio did say he was for punishing Mr. Tinker but Sonic defused that basically instantly.

I imagine he's kicking himself for that now and I think that + him lashing out makes sense.

Oh okay. I haven't touched most of those early comics since the first month or two. 

8 hours ago, Kuzu said:

It was one thing when it was Shadow calling out Sonic, since he's kinda meant to be his foil and opposite. Now we have his own allies calling Sonic out too? Unless this leads to some type of rift forming between Sonic and his friends, which I highly doubt will happen, I don't see a point either.  It feels like Lost World when the game was calling out Sonic for all of his mistakes, but never actually letting him learn from them.

I mean, to be fair, the Chaotix aren't that close knit with him anyway. 

8 hours ago, Kuzu said:

So what's going to be the fall out from this arc? They're obviously not going to kill Eggman, so that's out. Sonic letting him go after all of this would be the absolute height of stupidity. Eggman could slip away on his own, but then what is the lesson that Sonic learns?  "Hey kids, never show mercy to your enemies otherwise it will bite you in the ass" that doesn't feel like a child-friendly message. 

I don't want to say this arc is a letdown, because I DO find this pretty interesting. But I can't help but wonder just how ambitious is flynn trying to be and if he is even allowed to get away with it. 

That's a good question considering how dire a spiral it's becoming. 

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Side note: You know who would be justifiably angry when given the full context or should be. Silver.

I would love to see angry silver.

Oh yeah, you forget how forthwith Silver can be about the future. Kinda have to wonder if that's still considered an acceptable part of him though. 

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Sonario said:

Hide contents

A shame that her most important story role recently is basically her being effectively killed off. I would have preferred if she started fighting again like she did when Emerl was getting hurt back in Battle. Still, at least Tails' reaction is satisfying to my inner Taiream shipper, and it looks like he'll do the fighting for her to avenge her. I just wish Cream herself got some action before getting knocked out of the game.

Spoiler

I understand. 

Of course, this is to be the third issue of the Deadly Six getting involved in the fight, so hopefully she'll be involved in that before one of them gets coldblooded(which is odd considering which two it is,but whatever).  

5 hours ago, Sonario said:

Reveal hidden contents

But you have to remember that a common trick with comics is to have deceptive covers that don’t reflect the story. There are many examples of covers showing two characters getting married, someone supposedly joining a team or having someone die but the actual story to show that the cover was a huge lie to attract attention to readers.

A recent example of this an when Teen Titans had a “traitor” subplot (again) and one issue seemingly gave away who it was, only for the story to say “nope it was actually this person”.

Like I said before there little chance of this happening but I’m clinging on to this because they already had their one child kill with Charmy and Cream has been through enough damn it.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Kuzu said:

"Oh man the day is saved and eggman escaped. " Before I would suggest then another sonic and shadow argument would begin. But like you have stated below, it seems Ian flynn was trying to be ambitious, but has been met with a narrative wall with shadow. They may just forgo even mentioning the fact that this entire thing started because of that beef and just move past it. This might just end with a hurried wet fart to move past a bunch of stuff Ian Flynn thought he could do, but couldn't.

You have basically stated one of my primary issues. " Hey kids don't show mercy " is kind of the lesson here. Even if its supposed to be ambiguous, it isn't. The man in question memory removed or not is a dictator who did what dictators do. And " should you murder a murderous dictator " carries a different weight especially after this stories proceedings. Whatever ambiguity Ian wanted to communicate is lost due to the character in the focal point of this narrative.

10 hours ago, Kuzu said:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

And I kinda think you misreading the situation a bit.

And I kinda think you missed the second post I made where I admitted to having a knee jerk reaction, rationalized it, but said I didn't like it. And, no, me not liking this particular story beat isn't somehow trying to throw out the entirety of storytelling.

I don't feel like putting more bad energy into this topic so I'm not going to bother with the rest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Zaysho said:

And I kinda think you missed the second post I made where I admitted to having a knee jerk reaction, rationalized it, but said I didn't like it. And, no, me not liking this particular story beat isn't somehow trying to throw out the entirety of storytelling.

I don't feel like putting more bad energy into this topic so I'm not going to bother with the rest.

Sorry.

12 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Vector did it too right when their city fell and Sonic was helping them out. I don't recall the issue number offhand, but it was at the beginning of the outbreak.

edit: looked it up, issue 17. It's probably less directly blaming Sonic, but Vector does say "Next time Eggman loses his memory I'm throwing him in a cell." I honestly had a bit too much of a kneejerk reaction to this (I assume Espio's just venting because he lost his team) because it felt like a pointless internal conflict and while Ian usually has a reason when he does things like this, this just isn't something I see sticking and doesn't make a lot of sense to put the blame on Sonic when it feels like the results would have been the same.

I disagree about it not sticking. I think this is trying to set up future stories where Sonic has to make up for almost ending the world while still feeling it was right to try and give Eggman a second chance.

Personally I love that Ian is trying to do a more Moralistic focused story with Sonic. I love the idea that Sonic was trying to be compassionate but inadvertently caused something so terrible. It's honestly really interesting stuff.

I need explanations why they didnt have Big, a character strong as Vector, part of the resistance.

Or they're gonna ignore it in the comic, like they ignored why Shadow was gone 6 months.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Sorry.

Got kinda heated when I woke up and saw your post the first time, so I apologize for snapping at you.

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I disagree about it not sticking. I think this is trying to set up future stories where Sonic has to make up for almost ending the world while still feeling it was right to try and give Eggman a second chance.

Personally I love that Ian is trying to do a more Moralistic focused story with Sonic. I love the idea that Sonic was trying to be compassionate but inadvertently caused something so terrible. It's honestly really interesting stuff.

For what it's worth, I do like showing that side of Sonic (seems pretty consistent with his recent game appearances). I'm just not too confident in the set up or having any long term consequences, but maybe Ian will win me over with what he did in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I need explanations why they didnt have Big, a character strong as Vector, part of the resistance.

Or they're gonna ignore it in the comic, like they ignored why Shadow was gone 6 months.

They probably couldn't find him at the time. Or he simply preferred to be left alone for some reason.

Though Shadow is likely a case of SEGA getting in the way.

3 minutes ago, Zulon Eredas said:

Where the hell is Blaze during all this? 

Brought in the first issues only for no reason.

Her only purpose was to fight Neo Metal Sonic.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Say, whatever happened with Jewel's town?

...isn't this month's issue taking place in Spiral Hill Village?

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

...isn't this month's issue taking place in Spiral Hill Village?

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

yes

Oh yeah. I guess with the different covers coming out, I got confused about when what happens. 

Brought in the first issues only for no reason.

That was before the Metal Virus. 

she didn't actually do that, she did fight the much less cool giant dinosaur version

12 hours ago, Zulon Eredas said:

I think the last time we saw her she said she was going back home. She probably has no idea any of this is going on. Kinda the same situation with Knuckles right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Celestia said:

I think the last time we saw her she said she was going back home. She probably has no idea any of this is going on. Kinda the same situation with Knuckles right now.

Oh yeah, pretty much.

She thought Master Overlord was what the Sol Emeralds were warning her about and left Silver to his own suspicions. 

In Knuckles case, he was just glad to stay on his island again.  

20 hours ago, Zulon Eredas said:

I'm going to assume her home dimension.

9 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Where the hell is Rouge during all this ?

I'm hoping we find this out in the Annual or, dare I dream, a Rouge miniseries.