Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Tell me something I don’t actually know, because I’ve been discussing story, narrative, and characterization for the past several years to a decade saying just that when people were wanting Knuckles around for literally no reason while giving no such privilege to any character post-SA2.

People were probably just used to Knuckles being a part of the main cast by that point given his  numerous appearances and dynamic with Sonic. 

Meanwhile, many of the characters after him were more catered to a specific niche or setup that wasn't as comfortable. Heck, even Shadow has proven to be one of the worse about that at times. 

8 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Sonic’s not someone who kills in cold blood, but for all his heroics he certainly isn’t a saint either. The guy’s willing to destroy an entire country’s armed force rather than stand trial for a crime he didn’t commit, I wouldn’t put it past Sonic to infect someone with a physical touch of their own virus for karma’s sake.

Pretty much. 

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

I mean, despite being pushed over the edge, Sonic didn't kill Ezazor or Merlina though.

Only because he couldn't: We see nothing in-game to contradict Erazor's claim of immortality. Merlina simply slaps down any attack Sonic makes and is also functionally immortal at this point since Sonic doesn't have the Sacred Swords to counteract the scabbard's power (Sonic has gotten a hold of himself again by the time he gets the power to stand against her).

Besides, its not like Sonic hasn't killed before even when he isn't pissed: He definitely killed Emerl and King Arthur on-screen; he had a hand in killing Biolizard and Solaris; and he presumably killed Dark Gaia and did his part against the Black Arms.

50 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

Only because he couldn't: We see nothing in-game to contradict Erazor's claim of immortality. Merlina simply slaps down any attack Sonic makes and is also functionally immortal at this point since Sonic doesn't have the Sacred Swords to counteract the scabbard's power (Sonic has gotten a hold of himself again by the time he gets the power to stand against her).

Besides, its not like Sonic hasn't killed before even when he isn't pissed: He definitely killed Emerl and King Arthur on-screen; he had a hand in killing Biolizard and Solaris; and he presumably killed Dark Gaia and did his part against the Black Arms.

True, though I feel like out of those, Emerl is the closest to mattering in this sense.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

True, though I feel like out of those, Emerl is the closest to mattering in this sense.

The only one he didn't want to "kill" out of those few.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

The only one he didn't want to "kill" out of those few.

That too.

Biolizard, Iblis, and Dark Gaia(who will probably reincarnate anyway) were mindless beasts that were out to destroy the world and King Arthur was a magical construct.

Emerl, while technically a robot, had grown and shown enough autonomy before Eggman caused his original programming to take hold, thus there was more weight behind his death and the fact that Sonic didn't want it either played a part.

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

PREVIEWS

Oh, so when she said they'd settle this where it started, she was talking about herself.

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Biolizard, Iblis, and Dark Gaia(who will probably reincarnate anyway) were mindless beasts that were out to destroy the world and King Arthur was a magical construct.

Dark Gaia was a counterpart to Chip, whom despite being an embodiment of a force of nature was not a mindless beast... Do we immediately classify DG as a mindless beast, considering he was only doing his job in balancing the natural order?

16 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Dark Gaia was a counterpart to Chip, whom despite being an embodiment of a force of nature was not a mindless beast... Do we immediately classify DG as a mindless beast, considering he was only doing his job in balancing the natural order?

Exactly. Eggman thought he could control him as could Chaos and Iblis. We all know how that turned out. IQ 300 - Common Sense 0.

15 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Exactly. Eggman thought he could control him as could Chaos and Iblis. We all know how that turned out. IQ 300 - Common Sense 0.

lol

if I had an IQ that high, I'd probably be too full of myself to consider the alternate consequences as well.

Seriously, people that smart would inevitably fall into the Hubris category. Its no wonder all his plans get undone by the overlooking of the little details. 

40 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Well, yeah.

Light Gaia, as the restorer of life, would have greater need for sentience than Dark Gaia. Not to mention they were both prematurely awakened and needed to be put back where they belong until that time comes.

And since they and the Emeralds are part of the natural order, I would think Super Sonic didn't kill him permanently and they simply regenerate within the magma

22 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

To be somewhat fair, I think he was more interested in harnessing the raw power over having Dark Gaia itself around to control. Not that that means anything when his efforts ultimately meant putting it back together, but still.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That too.

Emerl, while technically a robot, had grown and shown enough autonomy before Eggman caused his original programming to take hold, thus there was more weight behind his death and the fact that Sonic didn't want it either played a part.

Worth noting that the first hint as to Arthur's true nature was his body vanishing like a Knight of the Underworld. Sonic's entire mission for the first half of the game was to kill what he thought was a human being.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

People were probably just used to Knuckles being a part of the main cast by that point given his  numerous appearances and dynamic with Sonic. 

Meanwhile, many of the characters after him were more catered to a specific niche or setup that wasn't as comfortable. Heck, even Shadow has proven to be one of the worse about that at times. 

Even then, it made little sense back then when it was done to scapegoat the extended cast for the series’s problems, the logic behind it being that he was around when the games were good inspite if the fact that he and the cast as a whole were having problems.

18 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Even then, it made little sense back then when it was done to scapegoat the extended cast for the series’s problems, the logic behind it being that he was around when the games were good inspite if the fact that he and the cast as a whole were having problems.

Sounds about right.

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

PREVIEWS

I figured he would roll through with left over androids tbh considering they got the job done last time for the most part

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I figured he would roll through with left over androids tbh considering they got the job done last time for the most part

Spoiler

That Blimpfish is still there.

And the Metal Gear references continue.

Diamond Cutters base resembles the Mother Base of Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and Phantom Pain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rereads last issue

If that one line from sonic like 3 issues ago was foreshadowing , I'm going to laugh my ass off. Doesn't fix my issues with this arc, but It will be hilarious in a surprise kinda way

On 11/29/2019 at 8:12 PM, DabigRG said:
  Hide contents

That Blimpfish is still there.

Spoiler

you think its holding them?

34 minutes ago, Panda Claus said:

@Shadowlax what line?

Might be paraphrasing but

"you are too stubborn to be mind controlled "

I dunno, it was mentioned before that this is starting to ramp up and we are getting to the point where we get to the " underestimation " or " Betrayal " portion of the sonic production. I just think that either that betrayal is coming from a place people were not expecting. Or that help that one of the latter issues suggest sonic maybe getting might be stranger than we think.

Other prediction: Eggman gets bonked on the head again and becomes tinker and fixes it, and feels bad about it

On the note of the book itself. I don't like how this arc came about, that much is known. But this last issue was kinda...amazing? I hope they capitalize on the narrative they set up. Even though nothing happens and mostly a conversation, that conversation has a lot more in it than like some whole other issues. And given the context of what's going on , it means even more. While it might be boring for some, I could do for more issues that are, essentially just two characters talking.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Hide contents

you think its holding them?

Spoiler

It generally held numerous Egg Pawn with Parachutes at standard size. Heck, i would've been surprised if one of them is basically flying it.

I hope this comic series will sell well like sonic products that are currently on the market especially the sonic posters, It is one of the most popular products for now

2 hours ago, Panda Claus said:

It already is selling well. In fact a number of issues have sold out.

It's like IDW's best selling book isn't it?

AS far as sonic killing his foes, I like to think about that like.. it's just anime. The most anime plots has Sonic killing demons, aliens and gods. I don't think we were meant to think about it this deeply. Tho to relate this to rather Sonic should've listened to Shadow or not, I think it wouldn't have mattered anyway. To be completely fair, even if Sonic were like " Fine, go off him then." Shadow would've most likely failed and Eggman would be right back where he is now and we'll still have the metal virus. I guess the long short of it I'm trying to say is while I get the debate on saying it's Sonic's fault... but did we or anyone actually expect Sonic to treat Eggman like the few demons aliens and gods he's fought before? Cause if you spin the record a sudden way you could say Sonic's been at fault since the first game. He hasn't killed Eggman after he blew up the planet THREE times, unleashed who knows how many gods/demons on the planet, blew up the moon. and did I mention he literally blew up earth 3 times? If Sonic didn't think it was worth it to kill Eggman after that alone then the metal virus is no different. 

I'm debating if Sonic should face judgement for that choice in the comic to be honest, tho I guess that's what the debate is actually about. And based on what I just wrote... No. I don't think he should face judgement... not for the Resident Evil like virus anyway. IT would make for a neat plotline for a little bit, but overall if we're going to say this is Sonic's fault.. then Sonic has ALOT to answer for. The Bio Hazard shouldn't even be on the list. Dude let Eggman live after Eggman BLEW UP THE PLANET. Dragon Ball Z villains can't even say they were able to do that.