Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Does Sonic tell Shadow that running with stall the virus?

If he does and Shadow doesn't run anyway...then that would be bad writing.

If he doesn't...then that would be bad writing.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Somebody suggested a page or two ago that that wouldn’t work for Shadow because his speed, unlike Sonic, is not physical (aided by his air shoes).

I think this will piss off a lot of folks, for sure, Ian knows that, damn it! Lol, he really wants to mess with us.

Can we talk without spoiler tags at this point? You guys already spoiled the twist.

Spoiler

spoiler tagged for now…

That is Shadow alright. Eh. But yeah, it is kinda disappointing and simple, but I'm shocked, I didn't expect this, everyone expected Shadow to protect Rouge or something, so a surprise is a nice thing but it all happened in 2 seconds. Why?

Also more things I didn't like:

- Female characters are always strategic leader types? First Sally, then Amy and now Rouge? I'd like them to be more of a fighter type.

- No Team Dark interactions, =( bummer, I really wanted to see the trio team up and talk, I think they are wonderful together. Instead the focus is on Sonic and Shadow again.

…Which I don't mind, they both make mistakes, but I just wanted some Team Dark action here.

I'm so curious as to whether Shadow has control now that he's a zombot or not.

Point is, everyone would have loved to see Shadow go out protecting his team mates, but that is the point, it would have been fucking predictable. Not a fan of what happened either, just surprised.

Can't say I'm a fan of pre-2006 Shadow.  I get he's a gruff, unfriendly character but to portray him as a huge arrogant asshole with zero care for the fate of his allies flies in the face of any character development he could have had.

ALSO (minor spoilers):

Spoiler

Plus him basically saying he wants his longtime rival and ally to die/succumb to his infection is regressing his character.  Pretty weak. I hope he has at least some redemption there.  They're rivals but it's a complex and tense relation with a hint of mutual respect, and up until now he did a good job with Shadows past appearances on this aspect at least with IDW.  I dont want Shadow to go back to a huge morally directionless, unlikable empathy void again.

This is really bothering me and will bug me till the next issue when I can hopefully get some releif...

I'm dissapointed.  Shadow is a more complex character than that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Somebody suggested a page or two ago that that wouldn’t work for Shadow because his speed, unlike Sonic, is not physical (aided by his air shoes).

Which would just be dumb because he'd still be moving that fast...

• Thumbs Up 1

It's this like this that make me wonder if ian hates this character

Someone mentioned a lack of some characters interacting, that just seems like some Sega meddling

1 hour ago, Tangled Jack said:

I think this will piss off a lot of folks, for sure, Ian knows that, damn it! Lol, he really wants to mess with us.

Can we talk without spoiler tags at this point? You guys already spoiled the twist.

Hide contents

spoiler tagged for now…

That is Shadow alright. Eh. But yeah, it is kinda disappointing and simple, but I'm shocked, I didn't expect this, everyone expected Shadow to protect Rouge or something, so a surprise is a nice thing but it all happened in 2 seconds. Why?

Also more things I didn't like:

- Female characters are always strategic leader types? First Sally, then Amy and now Rouge? I'd like them to be more of a fighter type.

- No Team Dark interactions, =( bummer, I really wanted to see the trio team up and talk, I think they are wonderful together. Instead the focus is on Sonic and Shadow again.

…Which I don't mind, they both make mistakes, but I just wanted some Team Dark action here.

I'm so curious as to whether Shadow has control now that he's a zombot or not.

Point is, everyone would have loved to see Shadow go out protecting his team mates, but that is the point, it would have been fucking predictable. Not a fan of what happened either, just surprised.

It will take predictable and good and the way I like the character instead of trying to subvert expectations and shit on everything.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

It's this like this that make me wonder if ian hates this character

I think too.

His only goal is to have a "Sonic vs Shadow" every arc, by whatever mean possible

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He tells him,but Shadows doesn't run because "cowards run" 😑

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I think too.

His only goal is to have a "Sonic vs Shadow" every arc, by whatever mean possible

This is a shame because I love Sonic vs Shadow debates and fights, plus Shadow being antagonistic and edgy, but not a complete douche as here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Someone should've given him the memo that the zombots were indestructible.

12 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

He tells him,but Shadows doesn't run because "cowards run" 😑

What they should've told him was "skate". Cowards run, winners skate. Or he'd never skate.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

Just now, Tangled Jack said:

This is a shame because I love Sonic vs Shadow debates and fights, plus Shadow being antagonistic and edgy, but not a complete douche as here.

Sonic tells him if he doesn't run he turns into a robot.

He still refuses to run.

I'm done with this comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I legit could have dealt with the entire thing if it wasn't some " Cowards Run " shit. Like yo maybe I could like suggest that sega meddled or something, but even Ruby Eclipse the guy writing the parody twitter shit had the understanding to not do anything like that. Even the non canon racing game had the understanding to not do anything like that. That just seems like the manifest station of Ian trying to make them antagonistic and it didn't work... again. Maybe sega needs to come in and literally force Ian to write shadow a different way...again.

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Yea, Shadow wasnt being smart here. Sonic tells him to not touch anybody, and that he can burn off the virus with his speed. But he's all "FUCK YOU, I'M THE PRINCE OF SAI- THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM" and then acts surprised when he gets infected and refuses to run to get rid of the virus after Rouge tells him to.

I'm all for characters being flawed if it leads to interesting circumstances, but this is Shadow being blatantly stupid for the sake of moving the plot along.

I'm only gonna do this once. And I think its thematically appropriate.'

Shadow in the previous Year of our lord : Fuck My development I'm bout to end this man's whole career and his life, despite literally seeing the value in working with him multiple times. And being friends with a government entity that could just hold him up for the time being. Also I don't talk to my friends.

Me last Year: Yo shadow seems like they are writing him for the story to happen not his character and that's a bad way to write him. This already seems not great

Internet People: Nah you just mad because shadow isn't morally aligned the way you want him to and not perfect. Its nothing wrong you are being a giant nerd, and its just a different interpretation

Shadow in this current year of lord: Fuck my development , I am strongest man. I don't talk to my " friends " other than to give them instruction. Let me jump in literal poison.

Internet people: WTF they are just writing this character to progress a narrative

Me:

QmLS5oh.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

17 minutes ago, DK' said:

Sorry, may you confirm me something?

Do those who have already seen the issue bought it?

Don't see why they wouldn't have bought it. Digital formats can release as early as midnight, and outside the US the shops are open in a lot of places already ( for example I'm writing this from the FP I purchase my comics from. I'll have it in a few minutes).

Spoiler

The "cowards run" is legit the only sentance that annoy me, because it's really cliché. All the rest makes sense for me with his character and how he was depicted in many story. He should have been a bit more about "I don't care about myself", but the action in themselves were kinda logical with the context and how he have acted before.

8 minutes ago, DK' said:

Do those who have already seen the issue bought it? 

Bought on comixology, he is already available.

2 hours ago, AphexPhreak said:
Spoiler

Plus him basically saying he wants his longtime rival and ally to die/succumb to his infection is regressing his character.  Pretty weak. I hope he has at least some redemption there.  They're rivals but it's a complex and tense relation with a hint of mutual respect, and up until now he did a good job with Shadows past appearances on this aspect at least with IDW.  I dont want Shadow to go back to a huge morally directionless, unlikable empathy void again. 

This is really bothering me and will bug me till the next issue when I can hopefully get some releif...

Spoiler

I really disagree on that one. Him saying that Sonic "deserving it" was :

- Knowing that Sonic is somehow able to resist it, maybe not with all the details if Tails haven't said everything (as it seems to be public knowledge to the Team Dark as Rouge already know that he is infected without being really specially stressed by it. So for him it's not a "he wants him to die/succomb to the infection".

- He see Sonic as basically the cause of all this, and thus act like "you played with fire, you got burned, serve you right".

- Sonic greeted him with a joke in the whole center of an apocalypse, and then happen to act like "but I was also affected by it" when Shadow was angry about that… TBH that comeback was pretty deserved.

Sure, he wasn't being nice… But I don't expect a "I respect your choice of not killing Eggman" in such a context. If it was a small invasion or just some common Eggman shenanigans, it would be simple enough to show how the vision are conflicting.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I legit could have dealt with the entire thing if it wasn't some " Cowards Run " shit. Like yo maybe I could like suggest that sega meddled or something, but even Ruby Eclipse the guy writing the parody twitter shit had the understanding to not do anything like that. Even the non canon racing game had the understanding to not do anything like that. That just seems like the manifest station of Ian trying to make them antagonistic and it didn't work... again. Maybe sega needs to come in and literally force Ian to write shadow a different way...again.

I'm only gonna do this once. And I think its thematically appropriate.'

Shadow in the previous Year of our lord : Fuck My development I'm bout to end this man's whole career and his life, despite literally seeing the value in working with him multiple times. And being friends with a government entity that could just hold him up for the time being. Also I don't talk to my friends.

Me last Year: Yo shadow seems like they are writing him for the story to happen not his character and that's a bad way to write him. This already seems not great

Internet People: Nah you just mad because shadow isn't morally aligned the way you want him to and not perfect. Its nothing wrong you are being a giant nerd, and its just a different interpretation

Shadow in this current year of lord: Fuck my development , I am strongest man. I don't talk to my " friends " other than to give them instruction. Let me jump in literal poison.

Internet people: WTF they are just writing this character to progress a narrative

Me:

QmLS5oh.png

You're comparing two different situations and they're not even remotely similar, just so you can pretend to have some false sense of superiority. Because you're basically saying "Haha, I was right, I told you so" Go back to elementary school with this childish shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You're comparing two different situations and they're not even remotely similar, just so you can pretend to have some false sense of superiority. Because you're basically saying "Haha, I was right, I told you so" Go back to elementary school with this childish shit.

I'm not pretending to have anything superior to anything. Its a fun comic for children and that would be a weird claim to my superiority. I'm teasing, that's it.

I called last it year and i'm being funny about it. It ain't that serious. It sucks, the writing sucks right now, but it ain't that serious. And I do not think the situations are dissimulator, ya'll are using the exact same language. I dunno it ain't that serious,  given the reaction on the internet so far Ian might go back to the drawing board with shadow...again. It is what it is.

Shrugs

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't read the comic, I'm just reading your comments here,

Spoiler

though from what I'm reading I've got a feel that this is going to turn out like Majin Vegeta during the Majin Buu arc:

"I got corrupted on purpose to become stronger, but I'm too strong to let the corruption take over me, so I'm still sentient and I can take advantage of the new powers". Maybe?

Also, too bad that people seem to not like Gemerl, I hope he gets better writing in the future, because I'd rather have him rewritten than having him scrapped at all, I appreciated that they decided to bring him back from the oblivion of the forgotten characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Hide contents

Shadow is aware one can both run and fight, right?

Apparently he is not...

12 minutes ago, Iko said:

I didn't read the comic, I'm just reading your comments here,

Hide contents

though from what I'm reading I've got a feel that this is going to turn out like Majin Vegeta during the Majin Buu arc:

"I got corrupted on purpose to become stronger, but I'm too strong to let the corruption take over me, so I'm still sentient and I can take advantage of the new powers". Maybe?

Also, too bad that people seem to not like Gemerl, I hope he gets better writing in the future, because I'd rather have him rewritten than having him scrapped at all, I appreciated that they decided to bring him back from the oblivion of the forgotten characters.

I don't think he would get scrapped? Like he isn't around much in the first place, why would they just scrap him?

9 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I'll say it they made shadow as stupid as in boom

News.

What, is the issue out? 

Im gonna say one more thing, and then i'm done.

Some folks are saying shadow is now " pre-06" that was my thought last year, but I would like to edit this. This shadow is as if Sonic Adventure 2 didn't happen and maria didn't exist. Now if this is an really wanting shadow to be antagonistic for the sake of his own preferences hopefully he gets criticism that causes him to stop doing it...again. If it actually is corporate meddling, that confirms some theories I have.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Im gonna say one more thing, and then i'm done.

Some folks are saying shadow is now " pre-06" that was my thought last year, but I would like to edit this. This shadow is as if Sonic Adventure 2 didn't happen and maria didn't exist. Now if this is an really wanting shadow to be antagonistic for the sake of his own preferences hopefully he gets criticism that causes him to stop doing it...again. If it actually is corporate meddling, that confirms some theories I have.

Considering,how there seems to be no human character and G.U.N. doesn't seem to exist anymore,I'm starting to fear that Maria never existed in this canon