Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm joining "mixed on Flynn" camp. I really like him, but I'm ready for something new.

"But he's best Sonic writer ever' Because no one else wrote the comic for 10 years (except for few single stories. And let's be honest, wasn't Baker his equal/superior few times)

"But he's full ideas" ideas that he already used last time word got rebooted. I doubt he kept his A-material for emergency second reboot.

At least that means new comic won't be 'ruined for ever'. My prediction? "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

In regards to the 4 issues in the first month, they did something similar with TMNT in August. They had a Dimension X mini-series and they released an issue a week for the whole 5 issues. They had different artists and writers for each issue. Though, I assume here they'll stay the same since they have some more time and it's the main series. The Dimension X mini-series was good, for what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Okay. I've got one huge problem.

They just said "stay tuned" for the old cast.

If it's about them still arguing whether or not they can be used in the comics at all, it's all cool I suppose.

IT IS NOT COOL if they know they won't be able to use it and are just stalling.

If I know they're coming, I know how to react. If I know they aren't coming back, I know how to react.

They doesn't need to tell when, I just want to know are they coming at all or not?

If they fail to tell something that crucial before the orders are due, I'm afraid they don't stand a chance for me...

Gee, I'm not asking for moon from the skies, but then again, this really can't be helped, when you've received with the spoon you can't very well take vith the ladle...

And I'm still raw about that Webber's "sometime stuff just happens" attitude about not telling anything about why the thing with Archie went like it went...

Seriously, it's like the only really good thing is we still have Mr. Flynn... Hooray!

I'm sure they can use them.

I wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same as before, though. If Sally appears she probably won't have grown up with Sonic and stuff like that. Kind of like Rocksteady and Bebop from TMNT. They're changed up in their countless versions, but they're still recognizably Bebop and Rocksteady.

• Thumbs Up 5

Bummer, I want a new writer, someone asian at least. Sonic has tons of Japanese influences, Ian Flynn sonic is like a American Disney cartoon with meta shout outs and memes.

I just want to see Ian's Sonic writing without the shackles of Archie. I'm curious about what he will be able to do now.

• Thumbs Up 6

Glad to see Ian's back at the helm for another Sonic comic, but one other thing I'm concerned about is the cover artist(s). I've seen Spaz's and Ben Bates' covers for so long, I'll be a bit disappointed if they get someone who isn't quite up to snuff. Sonic #252 is easily one of my favorite covers the Archie series had and became the standard I judged the other covers against for a while.

That Tyson Hesse solicit showed how good of one he'd make, so fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I think an important factor in wanting another writer is also "Who the fuck cares enough about Sonic The Hedgehog". And before people go on about how they do I mean like professional comics writers.

Let's be honest in the world of comics you are not likely to find many writers who give two shits about Sonic The Hedgehog to take on a full time job writing about him.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

I just want to see Ian's Sonic writing without the shackles of Archie. I'm curious about what he will be able to do now.

Saaaaaame here. It was already pretty crazy with what Ian was actually able to get away with when he worked at Archie. But without being tied down, he might really blow us all away.

1 hour ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Before you attack me for my shitty fanfic, I have cancelled it due to the reasons in what was written.

shitty fanfic.txt

Perhaps we should keep discussions about our personal works in the Showcase forum or status updates, yeah?  At a cursory glance, this seems rather non-sequitur to the topic at hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Question is Ian a Shadow fan?

He wrote one of the best versions of Shadow, so I'd say so.

Anyway, PSYCHED to see both Ian and Tyson on board. It's great to know that the fun and magic from the later days of Archie can still continue under a new publisher. Super excited to see Ian create a new universe from the ground up and what new elements he can bring to the table. Also really jazzed about finally being able to follow along with a Sonic comic through decently-scheduled trades. :D

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Vampony CC14 said:

He wrote one of the best versions of Shadow, so I'd say so.

Anyway, PSYCHED to see both Ian and Tyson on board. It's great to know that the fun and magic from the later days of Archie can still continue under a new publisher. Super excited to see Ian create a new universe from the ground up and what new elements he can bring to the table. Also really jazzed about finally being able to follow along with a Sonic comic through decently-scheduled trades. :D

I don't like his Shadow, too friendly and whiny. Shadows the punisher/judge dread of the sonic universe. He's out for his own sense of justice and pride as the ultimate life form, and most importantly a brooding loner who works on his own sake. I hated how he was guns lap dog and Amy's bff.

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Does this mean that the game characters can have parents?

Apparently there are still some restrictions, so who knows if that's one of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

>No FF
>No Sally
>Hard reboot
>Modern sonic
>It seems vidya characters+new characters
Yus

They never confirmed that there won’t be Freedom Fighters. Or that there wouldn’t be Sally (not sure why you listed them separately).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

21 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I'm sure they can use them.

I wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same as before, though. If Sally appears she probably won't have grown up with Sonic and stuff like that. Kind of like Rocksteady and Bebop from TMNT. They're changed up in their countless versions, but they're still recognizably Bebop and Rocksteady.

Well, that'd be more than epic! As long as their true character traits/core identities are kept intact I'm all good however they end up getting in to the comics!

They wouldn't need to be on every issue, I'd be happy to see them like even once a year! Of course it'd be awesome to see them more but I'm more torwards the natural story flow than obligatory shoehorning anyway.

16 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Question is Ian a Shadow fan?

Dunno about that but he does really love good ol' Knux as far as I can tell... :D

Though Mr. Flynn tends to have respect to about every character so it really doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned.

I don't mind new blood as long as Pontaff's kept away with a 2-mile long stick. Though them talking about their own continuity outside the games sounds pretty good in that regards.

It does sound pretty tempting idea actually, IDW's very own continuity...

4 minutes ago, Kellan said:

They never confirmed that there won’t be Freedom Fighters. Or that there wouldn’t be Sally (not sure why you listed them separately).

They also did not confirm there will be any. To leave a tidbit like that out. If anything if they do bring back the "FF" it will most likely either A. Be a new team using the name of new characters. or B. Using old characters with new looks/backstories seeing as this is a hard reboot/ no ties to the archie verse. I am heavily in favor of A.

Cocky asshole Shadow is the best Shadow. That's why I love him (and Rouge) in Free Riders.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kellan said:

They pretty much did.

The very first Archie continuation question they said.

"This is a new partnership, we're looking to tell new stories."

The next question was on Sonic and Sallys relationship and they gave the exact same response.

The closest you'll ever get is a random NPC that looks nothing like the old characters and saying "That's Sally now."

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

They pretty much did.

• The Freedom Fighters returning? “Stay tuned”. They’re aware of the demand, though.

I didn't watch the stream and these seem at odds with one another.

• Thumbs Up 4

That means that it's not the same continuity, it doesn't mean every character gets nuked. I mean, the Archie reboot continuity was also a new story from the old continuity. It's still an incredibly vague answer. If the Archie characters weren't there, why wouldn't they say "the Archie characters aren't here"? If it's a "no SatAM characters" thing, I can still put hope in to see the Egg Army again, too. The Freedom Fighters aren't the only Archie characters, after all.

Aaaanyway, this is good news. Flynn's a good writer, but you can feel the struggle over mandates in post-reboot Archie. I'm excited to see what he does with less restrictions. Put my vote in for also seeing some new talent on the side, at least. And also put my vote in for SONIC CHRONICLES, BABY! I don't think we'll be seeing much of that without inducing Pendering (maybe SEGA will actually help out this time, even if IDW has better lawyers), but it'd be perfect friggin' catharsis for the most comic-like element of the games to be re-incorporated into the comic, in a way that sucks less, by Ian Flynn...again.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

16 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

They pretty much did.

The very first Archie continuation question they said.

"This is a new partnership, we're looking to tell new stories."

The next question was on Sonic and Sallys relationship and they gave the exact same response.

The closest you'll ever get is a random NPC that looks nothing like the old characters and saying "That's Sally now."

I took it as they're not planning to use any freedom fighters at least initially but felt compelled to to also indicate to "never say never" to leave themselves open down the line

To me it feels like the FFs probably aren't going to be included initially. Like, that they would like to establish the new book, new cast, new setting, etc., and then begin to consider requesting them coming back at some point. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Umm, I've been wondering... It was kind of implied that, maybe, the mandates are different for IDW, but was it actually said out loud in the panel?

I had hard time listening the stream...

4 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

I didn't watch the stream and these seem at odds with one another.

I wondered if someone would bring that up.

The stay tuned thing is essentially Sega telling people "We're in talks" during the Archie cancelled fiasco.

If they had outright said "No Archie characters" with no ambiguity, it would have annoyed a lot of people, even at their own panel.

It would be the only thing people would be talking about and for a lot of people the conference would have been bad news.

Nobody wants that to happen who is involved with the comic.

So they first said "stay tunned" then gave the other answer which they then stuck with for the whole panel each time the issue of Archie was brought up.

They'll only ever outright answer this when they're ready to show off new cast/characters, Sega also does this a lot. 

Give some bad news immediately followed by good. They did the same for "Archie cancelled hello IDW."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1