Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

44 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Because the questions are so bad.

If we got an interview at TSS with anyone and sent these questions in. Only 2 of them would get answered so far.

4 archie comic related questions so far for IDW'S panel. Nobody has asked anything related to what Sonic will actually be like.

Every question has either been 'what have Sega said you can't do' and 'Will this from Archie be in/continued

Its a wasted opportunity.

21 hours ago, Zeer said:

I'm assuming there will be a Q&A of sorts, so I do think fans there should able to get some important answers out of the panel. 

21 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

That depends on which fans are asking questions.

And there we are.

9 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Yep. But there’s another panel about solicits for later this year and early next year coming up next, so there MIGHT be something about Sonic there. 

Those panels are today, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

I was gonna just catch up on the news later, but I'm too hung over to leave this couch so I watched it anyways.

Well, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be (I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed). Still, just.... idk what it is, but the way thus transfer was handled just turns me off to the comic. I don't think anything (even the FF returning) would make me excited for it. I'll probably read it anyways, but my bias is too deeply ingrained for me to think I'll be hooked again.

• Nice Smile 1

13 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

All the forces advertising is Because Ruby is there.

A reminder that IDW can use anything and anywhere from the games in the comics.

Ian isn't restricted by the same mandates he was over at Archie, that means 2006, chronicles and characters that SEGA wouldn't allow due to some dumb mandate can be used (looking at you Eggman NEGA).

That means I can get Shade back?!?

Yeah, I'mma call a bust until shown otherwise. I've been doing well keeping my hopes low and got one good surprise and another ambiguous one, so I'll keep going that route.

• Nice Smile 1

Non-game characters like the Freedom Fighters will probably be like the characters in TMNT. In that they can eventually be reintroduced as IDW versions of said characters.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2

To be fair, IIRC, Chronicles could've been used but Archie didn't want to use them so they wouldn't have to deal with Penders' nonsense again. I could be mis-remembering though. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

So I like that we have a new continuity and not based on the post-reboot Archie one. I would have liked a definitive answer regarding the Freedom Fighters (I don't care about the post-reboot original characters) but them being aware of a fan demand for them is better than nothing I suppose.

I'm not jazzed about Ian being head writer again. I'm tired of seeing him in this role and want a new take on Sonic. That said, now that he's presumably not attached by the old Archie Sonic world, maybe he'll try some different formulas? Please?

I like that the book will essentially start in January with that four issues in April thing. I completely understand just getting a main series right out of the gate, hopefully the book can expand to other titles later. I'm not interested in crossovers, but it's IDW so... unavoidable.

So overall, mixed bag. The two things I really wanted to know were the continuity and Freedom Fighters, and I sort of got answers for both. Still, hopefully we get solicits for at least the first issue at that later panel. I'd like to know how Ian intends to launch this thing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

To be fair, IIRC, Chronicles could've been used but Archie didn't want to use them so they wouldn't have to deal with Penders' nonsense again. I could be mis-remembering though. 

That's pretty much what I recall. Sega was okay with them using Chronicles material, but the risk that posed with Penders kept them off it.

As far as characters go, given the supposed high demand for things like Flynn and some of the characters from the old verse, there's a good chance they'll make it back at some point. That's not a guarantee tho, so don't hold me to that.

• Nice Smile 1

The absolute best outcome that could possibly happen from having more freedom (for me) would be if SEGA finally decided that it didn't matter if Sonic lost every once in awhile.

It's cruel but ever since Issue 200 the idea that what happened to Eggman could happen to Sonic amuses me.

All Hail the Eggman Empire. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Eggman can win against anyone but Sonic, and he can even beat Sonic... for 1 or 2 issues.

The Chronicles stuff I doubt will be used because SEGA says it's non canon and they are focused on keeping Knuckles as the last echidna, with Tikal being a ghost once in a while.

3 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

So I like that we have a new continuity and not based on the post-reboot Archie one. I would have liked a definitive answer regarding the Freedom Fighters (I don't care about the post-reboot original characters) but them being aware of a fan demand for them is better than nothing I suppose.

I'm not jazzed about Ian being head writer again. I'm tired of seeing him in this role and want a new take on Sonic. That said, now that he's presumably not attached by the old Archie Sonic world, maybe he'll try some different formulas? Please?

I like that the book will essentially start in January with that four issues in April thing. I completely understand just getting a main series right out of the gate, hopefully the book can expand to other titles later. I'm not interested in crossovers, but it's IDW so... unavoidable.

So overall, mixed bag. The two things I really wanted to know were the continuity and Freedom Fighters, and I sort of got answers for both. Still, hopefully we get solicits for at least the first issue at that later panel. I'd like to know how Ian intends to launch this thing.

Ian likely will try out new formulas this time around, considering that stuff like Mega Drive and Champions were massive departures of what the comic usually does and those are touted as some of the best stuff we've gotten in the comic, so with this new no-strings attached canon, he has more chances to do new things.

That said, I do still want this to have a sense of continuity. My ideal situation is something akin to IDW's TMNT comic in which there's lighthearted fun stories, but there's also some serious story-telling and such, that even with the subject matter, there's some pretty damn good engaging stories. City Fall especially is one of the best stories to come out of TMNT ever.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Razule said:

They said they didn't know who he was. 

Ouch.

But he deserves it.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 5

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. 

Again, nothing against the man himself. He was an obvious and extremely safe choice and I can't really begrudge them for it but... I was really looking forward to something that felt completely fresh. Like a new car just out of the lot kind of fresh. 

However, with it being a new company with a new set of rules and a new continuity I'm hoping his talent will shine through in a way that has no choice but to feel good but also completely different.

And I'd really like for the 4 issue thing to not have that consistent problem of the 4th issue just being a hasty wrap up of the story they were trying to tell. That happened all the time with Sonic Universe and I couldn't stand not being able to ignore it after a time.

So, I made my pic this shadowy version of Tails when the Archie comics were cancelled. I had planned to change it back when we got some solid information about the new comic.

I guess that's not happening today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Ouch.

But he deserves it.

To be honest, that has to be the most satisfying burn considering how much he loves rambling about them on Twitter. Aaron considering he handles the Sonic Twitter and such probably has had to listen to his crap for the longest time since Penders loves mentioning SEGA. Considering the man's ego and how much he thinks he's a massive name to SEGA, that burn is the best thing they could've said. Basically confirming that for all of his bluster, for all of his bravado, SEGA really couldn't care less.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2

Just now, Kellan said:

So, I made my pic this shadowy version of Tails when the Archie comics were cancelled. I had planned to change it back when we got some solid information about the new comic.

I guess that's not happening today.

…Again, were you seriously expecting a 100% continuation with the same numbering? I don't understand.

>Flynn is writing again

*yawn* 

Not surprised, I'm glad he's got work and all, but maaaaaaaaaaaan I really wanted a new writer after 10+ years of Ian. Hopefully he'll have a good editor to keep his lore wanking in check. I don't want three years of boring DEEP WORLDBUILDING again. 

I am really glad it's a new continuity, at least.

• Promotion 1

Guys, who knows Sonic better than Ian? Are there better writers? If you find them, let me know.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm sure there's lots of writers out there who, if they aren't already familiar with the series, could become familiar with it and manage to deliver an enjoyable Sonic comic. 

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

To be honest, that has to be the most satisfying burn considering how much he loves rambling about them on Twitter. Aaron considering he handles the Sonic Twitter and such probably has had to listen to his crap for the longest time since Penders loves mentioning SEGA. Considering the man's ego and how much he thinks he's a massive name to SEGA, that burn is the best thing they could've said. Basically confirming that for all of his bluster, for all of his bravado, SEGA really couldn't care less.

I'm hoping he has a Twitter tantrum about that soon... Lol

At any rate, we're still not out of the woods yet for those of us wanting the old cast to jump aboard. The high demand gives me some optimism, as I really want the FF and the Egg Bosses back first chance they get.

But that IDW has more leeway to use material from any game, allowing characters like Shade and Ix to make a better debut, is a welcoming element I can look foward to.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Jack the Rookie said:

Guys, who knows Sonic better than Ian? Are there better writers? If you find them, let me know.

I don't think you need somoene who know's sonic better

Is more so about having a different perspective on the matter.