Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I had no idea Zavok ain't leading them anymore, guess they all disbanded or possibly dead minus Zavok, tho I doubt they're dead for some reason.

2 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Ian didn’t even write the story so I doubt he’d know.

I know, but maybe Sega told him about the status of the Zeti?

16 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm still kind of hoping this current arc goes on for a bit past this year. I don't want the Zombot apocalypse to end really. Then again, the sooner it ends the sooner I get to see Charmy come back to us. 

This is a such a good idea. I can't believe this all resulted from Ian looking at the creepy metal forms from Heroes and going "I can do something with that." I'm kind of jealous I didn't come up with it first.

I don't think that's likely, could be wrong. But the books are an advertising arm and the year long arcs aren't just for audience convenience but also to allow characters to be reset each year incase plans change. Especially if character involved is used in anything. Let's say a future arc has tails become the evil genius he was meant to be,  if game with tails as an active important participant comes out the year following having the character be closer to how they wish to present it would be advisable. Fairly common with Cape books . Or hey even if iizuka changes his mind and wants the character to be a certain way.

Again I could be wrong, but I imagine it's why it's set up like this. It's what I'm thinking since ian says it's too far ahead to be thinking about year 3 when other writers including himself previously have thought it out longer than this. Things are loose goose

12 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

For some reason I think year 3

Hide contents

Could involve the Octopus girl from Tangle Whisper #2 working with Eggman on the latest scheme.

Yeah, that's possible.

Spoiler

Would kinda like her being her own thing, though.

4 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

I had no idea Zavok ain't leading them anymore, guess they all disbanded or possibly dead minus Zavok, tho I doubt they're dead for some reason.

Me neither. Wouldn't been really nice to know in the story. 

4 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

I know, but maybe Sega told him about the status of the Zeti?

Good point. 

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Maybe he just wanted to leave them

Mm...possible.

This wouldn't be the first time a side game has issued some... conflicting backstory information in their biographies. Sonic Runners was made by Sonic Team and had a bunch of details that don't add up in regards to established canon.

Still, Zavok leaving the deadly six behind is odd - as

a.) Zazz is still running around somewhere as a favorite recurring Zeti

b.) Zavok is fiercely loyal to Zik, and it would take something significant to break that bond

c.) Zavok is the manipulative type and likely gets some sick superiority kicks out of bossing the other Zeti around.

I'll believe the other 5 are gone when I see some more concrete evidence.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

This wouldn't be the first time a side game has issued some... conflicting backstory information in their biographies. Sonic Runners was made by Sonic Team and had a bunch of details that don't add up in regards to established canon.

Still, Zavok leaving the deadly six behind is odd - as

a.) Zazz is still running around somewhere as a favorite recurring Zeti

b.) Zavok is fiercely loyal to Zik, and it would take something significant to break that bond

c.) Zavok is the manipulative type and likely gets some sick superiority kicks out of bossing the other Zeti around.

I'll believe the other 5 are gone when I see some more concrete evidence.

To be a little fair, I can easily imagine Zazz in particular striking out on his own on occasion. But yeah, the first thing I thought of what happened with Zik.

What's some other weird things from Runners?

I just read the manual and I'm having trouble taking it seriously. Yes, it does say that Zavok is the former leader of the Deadly Six but the descriptions for Team Eggman are all kinds of fucked up in that they outright contradict what happens in the game itself.

The main header says "This unlikely trio of assorted foes form a solid team, in spite of their conflicting motivations." 

Now... that's horeshit for a few reasons. One is the fact that 2 out of 3 of the people on Team Eggman already consistently work together on a regular basis. Two is that they don't have conflicting motivations. Both Zavok and Metal Sonic are there to do what Eggman tells them to do...

Metal Sonic's description implies something that is definitely not the case in Team Sonic Racing proper. "Metal Sonic is an exact replica of our hero, except he's a robot, and evil. Could he possibly have an ulterior motive for racing?" 

The obvious answer to that is... no. He doesn't. He's there to do what Eggman tells him to do. I don't know why this was written like this. Perhaps it was implying that his ulterior motive is linked to Eggman's ulterior motive but... it's not made clear. Especially since the header makes it seems like all three of have conflicting motivations. It would have been far more interesting had there been an ulterior motive when it came to Zavok, specifically, but there isn't. Metal Sonic... I mean, he betrayed Eggman in Heroes and nothing else. And that was because constant losses made him go insane and start thinking that he was the real Sonic. 

I believe Eggman forced all the Zeti to work together looking for the strongest Zeti he can find to fight Sonic and they only know each other by reputation that would explain why Zavok is no longer their leader.   

It's not hard for me to believe that "the Deadly Six", as a group, have been dissolved given their fairly poor reception and they'll just use whatever individual Zeti they think people care about without having to worry about what to do with the rest of the team.

I doubt there'll be any significant in-universe explanation for it, if it's even a real thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I just read the manual and I'm having trouble taking it seriously. Yes, it does say that Zavok is the former leader of the Deadly Six but the descriptions for Team Eggman are all kinds of fucked up in that they outright contradict what happens in the game itself.

The main header says "This unlikely trio of assorted foes form a solid team, in spite of their conflicting motivations." 

Now... that's horeshit for a few reasons. One is the fact that 2 out of 3 of the people on Team Eggman already consistently work together on a regular basis. Two is that they don't have conflicting motivations. Both Zavok and Metal Sonic are there to do what Eggman tells them to do... 

Yeah, seriously.

Metal Sonic's description implies something that is definitely not the case in Team Sonic Racing proper. "Metal Sonic is an exact replica of our hero, except he's a robot, and evil. Could he possibly have an ulterior motive for racing?" 

The obvious answer to that is... no. He doesn't. He's there to do what Eggman tells him to do. I don't know why this was written like this. Perhaps it was implying that his ulterior motive is linked to Eggman's ulterior motive but... it's not made clear. 

That would essentially be my guess as well. Admittedly, he's one of the characters I was pretty negligible about.

Especially since the header makes it seems like all three of have conflicting motivations. It would have been far more interesting had there been an ulterior motive when it came to Zavok, specifically, but there isn't. Metal Sonic... I mean, he betrayed Eggman in Heroes and nothing else. And that was because constant losses made him go insane and start thinking that he was the real Sonic. 

There was also Free Riders, though that was more going behind Eggman's back.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

What's some other weird things from Runners?

All of these come from the Sonic Runners character bio's

Blaze was once the guardian of the Sol Emeralds (Once? Did she quit?)

Following his Split with Blaze - Silver has grown stronger (In canon Silver never split with blaze because 06 never happened)

Charmy is often too laid-back to notice when something is wrong (poor word choice. Everywhere else Charmy is described as hyperactive which is the opposite of laid back)

Rouge is driven by a desire to make megabucks (I don't think anywhere else has listed wealth as a motivating factor for Rouge)

I might handwave a few of these as just simple mistakes, but that is a curious amount of miscues considering this game was made in house.

32 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I believe Eggman forced all the Zeti to work together looking for the strongest Zeti he can find to fight Sonic and they only know each other by reputation that would explain why Zavok is no longer their leader.   

Eh, I don't know: Zavok and Zik obviously had their connection and it's implied he's very familiar with at least Zazz as well. There's also the prequel comic, which supposedly has relevance to the game canon.

Though the Japanese version implies that Eggman came up with the group name we hear, so I suppose it's not impossible.

35 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's not hard for me to believe that "the Deadly Six", as a group, have been dissolved given their fairly poor reception and they'll just use whatever individual Zeti they think people care about without having to worry about what to do with the rest of the team.

I doubt there'll be any significant in-universe explanation for it, if it's even a real thing.

Ever the cynic, are we?

You have a point.

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

All of these come from the Sonic Runners character bio's

Blaze was once the guardian of the Sol Emeralds (Once? Did she quit?)

Following his Split with Blaze - Silver has grown stronger (In canon Silver never split with blaze because 06 never happened)

Charmy is often too laid-back to notice when something is wrong (poor word choice. Everywhere else Charmy is described as hyperactive which is the opposite of laid back)

Rouge is driven by a desire to make megabucks (I don't think anywhere else has listed wealth as a motivating factor for Rouge)

I might handwave a few of these as just simple mistakes, but that is a curious amount of miscurs considering this game was made in house.

The heck?

I mean the split could be referring to Colors, but I see what you mean.

3 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

That's...extremely unlikely since they all were still working together and clearly following Zavok and Master Zik's orders. 

I feel like that's worse. Then being split up and kind to just do " Insert we need a bad guy here" jobs just kind of makes them more nothing than they were before, Its my issue with Zavok. I'm not saying every sonic character needs an in depth backstory but most of them have general motivations and such. This on top of their designs, will continue to make them weird pieces in the sonic universe.

Despite the poor reception I would rather them just have stuck to the concept and try to use them in a way that works better. At this point, why use em?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

That's...extremely unlikely since they all were still working together and clearly following Zavok and Master Zik's orders. 

They wanted revenge against Eggman so they were going to use his machine to drain the planet dry with him watching and Zeena still didn't care about killing Sonic all that much. 

19 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

They wanted revenge against Eggman so they were going to use his machine to drain the planet dry with him watching and Zeena still didn't care about killing Sonic all that much. 

Zeena didn't seem to care about anything besides her nails.

And maybe making Sonic their slave. Um...

Zeena didn't care about squat that didn't directly involve her. She had no intention of helping until Zavok lied and played to her ego as the only one who could do it. She didn't particularly care about fighting Sonic until he messed up her nails and that was enough motivation to put him on her Sh!t List and she seemed to be on board with making him suffer after that.

Still, for as much as the deadly six lack, I've got no doubt Flynn could make them work if given the time and space to play with them. I've seen the man do more with less.

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Still, for as much as the deadly six lack, I've got no doubt Flynn could make them work if given the time and space to play with them. I've seen the man do more with less.

...I would argue the 6 might be some of the least its ever been.

At least in my mind, for them to work... you basically have to construct new characters at this point. Deadly 6 with characterization are essentially different people. They are the vague idea of characters, and given this franchise... that's saying a lot for how lacking they are. I'm not saying I wouldn't wanna see ian's take on it. I do infact.... but would he even be allowed to do that? I would most game characters need to be close to their in game incarnations. Not saying that sega holds the d6 highly, but I would imagine it would make em really funky to write in any interesting fashion besides " I'm here, i'm gone ".Its not impossible, i'm wondering if sega would allow him to even do that.

57 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

For Deadly Six to work... you basically have to construct new characters at this point.

Agree
Fixing Deadly Six is a lost cause.
USING Deadly Six is another matter.

Lost World problem (one of...three or four main ones) was that we spent so much watching D6 when they are really basic. Just keep them in role of threat to beat (which will be some improvement over badniks and skunk duo for 4th time) , letting actual fun characters to shine.

38 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Agree
Fixing Deadly Six is a lost cause.
USING Deadly Six is another matter.

Lost World problem (one of...three or four main ones) was that we spent so much watching D6 when they are really basic. Just keep them in role of threat to beat (which will be some improvement over badniks and skunk duo for 4th time) , letting actual fun characters to shine.

Oh so just special jobbers.

I mean sure. I mean, I don't think anyone was questioning their ability to be talking punching bags. However I feel like a lot of the more interesting stories so far are carried by the antagonist . And the d6 couldn't carry a balloon over a puddle. I guess they are just midpoints to a larger plot, distractions? But I would argue in a way that makes them less useful. At that point eggman might as well just make special robots

#17 was fantastic! As a fan of classic George Romero zombie movies this had that vibe. I hope they run and run with this metal virus arc for a good while. Can't believe what happened to Charmy though.

Also, did anyone else think that Vector crushed that girl with the car at first rather than trapping her?

As for #18 I've had to do some research on who G-Merl is. I have never played the handheld sonic games. The sonic Wikia page has caught me up a bit with the character , anything I NEED to know?

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Metal Sonic... I mean, he betrayed Eggman in Heroes and nothing else. And that was because constant losses made him go insane and start thinking that he was the real Sonic. 

Free riders though. The most important game.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

#17 was fantastic! As a fan of classic George Romero zombie movies this had that vibe. I hope they run and run with this metal virus arc for a good while. Can't believe what happened to Charmy though.

Also, did anyone else think that Vector crushed that girl with the car at first rather than trapping her?

As for #18 I've had to do some research on who G-Merl is. I have never played the handheld sonic games. The sonic Wikia page has caught me up a bit with the character , anything I NEED to know?

Evil robot made by Eggman.

Turned into good robot by Tails.

Befriends Cream.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Evil robot made by Eggman.

Turned into good robot by Tails.

Befriends Cream.

Remade. 

• Chuckle 1