Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

13 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I always imagined the Chaotix's office set in a forest. It's mostly just been seen on the outside in Sonic X and that one Sonic Channel comic where Vector stuck his pudding in the freezer.

Huh. 

What an oddly specific scenario.

Is nobody going to point out that Chocola’s finally getting his first appearance since Heroes?

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Is nobody going to point out that Chocola’s finally getting his first appearance since Heroes?

We finally see Chao in the comic too.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

New covers:

q0qmw03k1gy21.jpg

I love these so much. 

From Chocolate, to Vanilla's face in the variant, to Gemerl's pose in conjunction with Sonic's face. 

The title does make you wonder, though. 

Who are the rabbits meant to be reviling in horror at? Sonic in the doorway? Gemerl? Something else? xD

2 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Who are the rabbits meant to be reviling in horror at? Sonic in the doorway? Gemerl? Something else? xD

If the angle is Amy indication, probably the not Death Egg.

JHG posted the inked versions of his cover.

D6qk9mnXYAI2bjp?format=jpg&name=large

And an extra one in which he got the virus ref wrong by accident-

D6qk9mvWkAI-j2a?format=jpg&name=large

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Razule said:

What's with the Spider-Man hands

Gonna assume it's just a reference Jon threw in for funzies. ...Or maybe this is hinting at a crossover with Marvel Action: Spider-Man! 

One or the other.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:17 PM, Marco9966 said:

New covers:

q0qmw03k1gy21.jpg

After seeing cover A's raw cover, I just gone and photoshop the same to what I did with #15's

WheOXon.png

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, kimplix said:

After seeing cover A's raw cover, I just gone and photoshop the same to what I did with #15's

unknown.png

Holy shit, I never noticed Eggman and Ricky there.

Also, what's up with that exclamation point?

On 5/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, Razule said:

What's with the Spider-Man hands

Horns, a symbol often associated with the metal genre of music.

You get it?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Ernest the Panda said:

Oh I just noticed that! Cool!

My thoughts on shadow and team dark in the comic, if you care. They are there

Spoiler

I would like them to pick a direction with shadows character and go with it, hopefully in this comic as well. For a little while now shadow's character has been sitting on a fence. On one side you have loner rebel and mystery man and on other You have reformed bad guy who has friends now who's kind of a dick but he's cool. Now characters much like people are multifaceted but in this case one comes at the detriment of the other . Primarily character interact, for a while even back in the previous comic's reboot I felt like Team Dark was undeserved. Primarily Rouge and Omega two character's who rarely if at all got featured in anything alone, who were forced to tag along with shadow. Ok sure, not a unique concept and a workable one. Issue is they rarely interact with shadow. Yes " Team Dark isn't really a team and they are just of use to him " is a bomb dropped on our heads that has people still questioning it on your website of choice, but that's apart of the problem. It plays into the fence sitting, its clear they want team dark to be a thing. But if you don't show why those characters are interesting together and why that matter's it means nothing. And only under serves to characters who could be poetically interesting by themselves having two be stapled to another character . Its just " remember sonic heroes " when not only is that not relevant to any of the things going on. A lot of the potential base for this comic and other products have not played that game, they are way young. And you have to actually give people a reason to like these characters being around. Its nostalgia that serves no one.

If they want to go lone hedgehog, sure fine. I think it sucks, because I like the interactions between team dark. But hey rouge and omega might get to see their characters flourish more by themselves with out it having to be shackled to shadow and add some value to their character separately. Maybe one of em gets a mini series by themselves. Show folks why they are cool. And shadow can ...interact with other folks and maybe explore him as a person more on his own.

Or if you keep a team, show why they work, why they are interesting. Some people might say " maybe they don't talk much " well that's not an interesting team. Even batman talks to his team mates. Show people what team dark can do besides being shadow's entourage.

To be fair to sonic team, they have actually been leaning in one direction. The first one , even in things like the new racing game its still kinda present and that lends itself to 2. I just want them to like... pick something allow this book to go with it and flourish.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

I just read the issue.

Ian Flynn, you're a terrible, terrible person. And I think I might love you for it.

Spoiler

We got our first casualty. Kinda hard to sympathize with Charmy. A good heart that betrayed all common sense, and cost him. 

Reading #17 confirmed my suspicions I had in a while; Year Two isn't bad, but I hate it's pacing. This is proper start of Zombot invasion, but it feels like we've been here for ever.

I see no reason why why issue #13 couldn't have Starline helping skunk duo and end with Sonic infected, This issue should be 2nd, 3rd tops.

With that said

Spoiler

It's a zombie apocalypse as you seen before, just with Sonic characters. I kinda wish story with focused on Chaotix, but with more characters in a background.

Image this happens in Preboot Archie, with Tails parents or those little orphan trio running around and getting infected. That would have more punch if we knew those folks. At least zombot-ize some chao or put single panel of still-hurt Silver pushing zombies away from Restoration's craft.

Of course drama around infected chick is the best part. Nice to see Chaotix in serious situation for once. Vector is smart so he makes a right move. Espio is loyal ninja, but not stupid. Charmy is a kid, so he makes a wrong move. Everyone is in characters and you can sympathize with them.

Still, this is only standing out aspect in whole issue (and even that is one of oldest Zombie Apocalypse tricks). It was well done, but I wish we had a weeeee bit more than that.

In conclusion I'm a greedy bastard, who even when he doesn't have any real complains, he complains there isn't more.

this was a surprisingly brutal issue. for a sonic comic i mean. and i like it. i like lighthearted sure but sometimes you need the grim and gritty to be a hero. and to challenge yourself. i feel sorry for the citizen who got trapped. and charmy was stupid. he should of listened to vector. i cant wait to see what happens next.