Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, FFWF said:
2 hours ago, FFWF said:

Reveal hidden contents

This does look pretty unambiguously like Heroes-style Metal Sonic masquerading as Eggman.

Unless...  Could it be?!

Reveal hidden contents

WioXM4M.png

...Nah.

Who the hell is that?

It’s Metal Sonic, definetely,

I mean, the silhouette does looks like it could be Naugus to me, but i don’t see any SatAM character appearing for now, so it got to be Metal Sonic.

7 hours ago, lulzers said:

Sorry. It's just that outside of SatAM, I haven't seen that much dark Sonic stories done right. Then again, I can't stand how games like Lost World go the extreme opposite.

What are these examples of Ian Flynn doing GOOD dark Sonic stories?

Have you read any sonic comic.  there are tons of dark themes throughout.  he'll the snively betrayel arc where eggman basically says every time the villages stall him he will shoot one is a good example.

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

Oh, turns out Sonic Stadium has the "silhouette" cover; for some reason I couldn't see it on the linked preview websites:

Hide contents

39719552730_5ef06eebaa_o-674x1024.jpg

Well, hmm, that changes things.

It does look like it validates certain guesses more than others, that's true. The only other question I have is...

Spoiler

If this is Metal Sonic, is it his typical appearance once the facade is dropped or is it Neo Metal Sonic? I know they are technically the same character, it's just I'm of the camp that doesn't like the Neo Metal Sonic design (too much clutter added on top of a clean and streamlined design).

So with 3 of 4 of the first issues out now I'm noticing a trend of concern for some of the art (ABT being the exception). Despite the fact that there was half a year, or a little longer, to prepare and put the team together as well as outline the plot and pen the scripts, do you feel like their still wasn't enough time to stick the opening cleanly? That is too say, do you think there was an excess of deadline scrambling going on in the background that affected some of the artists? I can't personally say since I have no real insight into how comics are made, but if there was deadline crunching going that effected the art should we expect things to improve art-wise once we switch over to the standard monthly format?

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Who the hell is that?

The joke image I posted?  One of several really weird unused files datamined from Sonic Runners.

My ideas for the villain:

-Neo Metal Sonic

-Egg Robo (specifically the one from Knuckles’ section of S3K)

-One of the Hardboiled Heavies

-Metal Robotnik (extremely unlikely but the silhouette looks like it)

11 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

-Neo Metal Sonic

I never though of the HBH myself but I could see it if not for the Classic Lock.

If I was going into total wish fulfillment though I'd love to see him use Black Eggman as a legitimate entity instead of just a mech that gave form to Eggman's lie in the OVA. 

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Umm, no.

If you look closely on any of my posts, there is small white-red flag under my avatar, betraying my Polish heritage.

Oh, okay. I just noticed both your sentence being a bit weird(unusually) and assume the words above your profile pic was Portuguese.

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Oh, turns out Sonic Stadium has the "silhouette" cover; for some reason I couldn't see it on the linked preview websites:

Hide contents

39719552730_5ef06eebaa_o-674x1024.jpg

Well, hmm, that changes things.

Hide contents

This does look pretty unambiguously like Heroes-style Metal Sonic masquerading as Eggman.

Unless...  Could it be?!

Hide contents

WioXM4M.png

...Nah.

Oh man, I was wondering if we'd even get that in a comic. :smile: 

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Who the hell is that?

Spoiler

It's a Robo-Eggman from unused image files in Sonic Runners. There was also a RoboEspio, a MindControlled Shadow and Omega, Zavok, Shahra, King Sharyar, Froggy, and a Powered up Metal Sonic.

24 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

-Neo Metal Sonic

Eh, I'm kinda hoping it's not a robot and/or something not overly connected to Eggman, personally.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, okay. I just noticed both your sentence being a bit weird(unusually) and assume the words above your profile pic was Portuguese.

"Sine ira et studio" ? That's Latin for "without anger and fondness", basically meaning "don't get carried away by emotion while discussions". I like fancy latin mottos and though this one would be most fitting for this site ;p.

But the point is that English isn't my first language, so yeah, I don't always sound natural.

3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

"Sine ira et studio" ? That's Latin for "without anger and fondness", basically meaning "don't get carried away by emotion while discussions". I like fancy latin mottos and though this one would be most fitting for this site ;p.

But the point is that English isn't my first language, so yeah, I don't always sound natural.

Huh.

Which is odd, considering I never noticed any issue before this, but whatever. The more you know.

I still think this villain will be new. Perhaps based on past villains like Captain Metal. 

Ian says it’s going to be a nod to something or someone really obscure, so only if you mean new in the “reinvented to the point it may as well be new” way.

• Thumbs Up 3

...Well, then.

Spoiler

I would note that Eggman Nega has also disguised himself as Eggman in the past too. But nothing about that silhouette really indicates that it could be him either, so...

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

11 hours ago, lulzers said:

Sorry. It's just that outside of SatAM, I haven't seen that much dark Sonic stories done right. Then again, I can't stand how games like Lost World go the extreme opposite.

What are these examples of Ian Flynn doing GOOD dark Sonic stories?

Silver’s Dark Mobius arc where he fights Dark Enerjak is one of the darkest arcs his team has done. Then there’s parts of the iron Dominion, the Mecha Sally arc, Secret Freedom, Shadow Fall, Total Eclipse (and this is coming from someone who doesn’t like the Black Arms aliens or the central antagonist, Eclipse, as those were pretty damn good in spite of that)

Honestly, there’s too many to list back in Archie Sonic, much of them in the Sonic Universe.

All in all, far more well written compared to what Sonic Team pushed out after Unleashed/Colors.

Also, that issue 7 is hella creepy. I love it!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

18 hours ago, lulzers said:

What do you think of the idea of Sonic featuring Family-Unfriendly Violence? (Look it up on TV Tropes)

I don't think a book for children should have gore thank you.

• Absolutely 1

31 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

He basically just means more-than-average violence. Not gore, just violence. Think Eggman beating up Sonic in issue 175.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Family-Unfriendly violence...

Non-specific, not just gore...

Alright everyone. Sit down. Shut up. And listen to my harrowing tale of how I finally managed to obtain an issue of IDW Sonic #3.

Yesterday saw no result. I first visit Books-A-Million, my go-to place for the comics in general. Two weeks ago, the 1st issue was found for me in a new alphabetical shelf of comics. The 2nd week I couldn't find it on the shelf but that's because the lady who helped me last week actually took it off the shelf in anticipation that I would show up and handed it to me when I got to the counter. This week though I was told the issue didn't come out for them.

So I went to visit Barnes and Noble and found out that their comics section had been reduced to one small shelf in a sea of endless magazines no one gives a shit about. After that I put into my GPS a comic store near me and went to a place called Comic Kings. Surely they had one. And they did... but it was reserved for someone else. By then it was 8 PM so I had to go home.

Today, I tried two other stores and ended up in places around my city I've never been to before. After the fourth place I went to was a bust I even got my first visit to a Krispy Kreme Donut Shop. I've had their donuts before but I've never seen the shop...

Sad and pathetic as I was, I decided to give it one last try and went to a place called Trilogy Comics. I went in, asked the guy if he had it, he said that he had sold the last three the day before... then he looked over and said "Oh wait..." and then went over to the shelf and found it for me! It was the Variant issue with Rough and Tumble on it, so the aesthetic of the Green Hill issues is broken for right now but whatever. I found it. Not only that but there was also a ton of of Archie Sonic comics there as well. 

They even had Sonic stuff I had never seen before like variant covers for the Archie books I already had, some of the Digests, and issues of the Sonic X comic which I missed the boat on as I started collecting those when they were ending (I only 38, 39, and 40). Plus it was the first comic place that had tons of manga and action figures and figures of manga characters... he said he probably had the biggest selection of manga in the state and I believed him.

I ended up spending $27 dollars there. I struck out so many times and right when I was about to give up I struck gold and then some. Left with IDW Issue #3, A book called Sonic and the Tales of Deception, A free comic book day issue called Sonic Comic Origins, Sonic World's Unite Battles #1,  Megaman World's Unit Battles #1, Sonic X #30, and Sonic X #32.

Still haven't read the IDW Issue though...

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2

I really didn't need such a hamfisted explanation for why wisps are in the capsules in games, but I guess some people did? 

19 minutes ago, The Kid said:

I really didn't need such a hamfisted explanation for why wisps are in the capsules in games, but I guess some people did? 

Runners already provided a bit of an explanation, but didn’t clarify that if they “wanted to remain with him”, why do they remain in bondage?

Ok yea, I read the issue yesterday. 

Bit of a step down from the previous issue, especially on the art. Sonic & Knuckles` bantz was alright, but beyond that not much really happened. Rough & Tumble didn't make much of an impression before they were defeated. So a pretty meh issue overall.

I liked that the big one dribbed and shot sonic like a basketball, I thought that was stylish. But yeah, these stories are moving breakneck, but I get it

• Thumbs Up 1