Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, Swing said:

Well at least with Mario you have one universe and one timeline. With Sonic its seems we have at least 4 - 5.

Paper Mario says "Hi".

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

Paper Mario says "Hi".

Yeah, but like I said, Miyamoto made the series so that there's barely any difference to the main game other than the artstyle and battle system. Remember the interesting characters and moving story? Now it's Mario rescues Peach from Bowser again, just like the main series. And I'm worried that this comic will become just another "Sonic-fights-Eggman-for-the-umpteenth-time", because Ian said this will be Sonic-focused. This could show that SEGA doesn't really like stories,if they're mandates state that none of the official characters, ESPECIALLY Sonic, could be changed unless they are approved.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Jesus christ you people are grabbing a tangled wire and then tangling thirty more wires into it and complaining it doesn't make sense.

There's two worlds. Neither are realistic. They are separate but contact between the two is relatively easy. Games that happen in places with mostly humans, happen in Human World. Games that happen with mostly animal people, happen in Sonic's World. Rouge works for GUN in human world. Echidnas lived in human world in the past. Floating Island goes anywhere it wants. Chaos Emeralds go anywhere it wants.

Classic Sonic is different timeline.

Again, I get thinking the setup is superfluous. But each and every question is answered in like, five words. It's really not that complicated.

As for why it happened at all in the first place, thank some 15 years of western communities loudly complaining "bluuh humans suck get them out where's Mobius".

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, but like I said, Miyamoto made the series so that there's barely any difference to the main game other than the artstyle and battle system. Remember the interesting characters and moving story? Now it's Mario rescues Peach from Bowser again, just like the main series. And I'm worried that this comic will become just another "Sonic-fights-Eggman-for-the-umpteenth-time", because Ian said this will be Sonic-focused. This could show that SEGA doesn't really like stories,if they're mandates state that none of the official characters, ESPECIALLY Sonic, could be changed unless they are approved.

Remember that he stated that the writers will get as much freedom if not more with the new comics, and remember Sonic is SEGA's IP, not ours.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Remember that he stated that the writers will get as much freedom if not more with the new comics, and remember Sonic is SEGA's IP, not ours.

I KNOW that Sonic is SEGA's IP. Doesn't mean I shouldn't complain about how little they care about continuity. Also, Ian said that most likely BEFORE everything was set in stone.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ian also said that the comic is "directly inspired from the games" or something like that. From what I'm getting, I'm thinking that while the comic isn't canon to the games, the games are canon to the comics. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Which is a wasted opportunity. After the recent plot reveals I was imagining that after Archie's demise, SoJ would have the objective to tighten the control over the comics in order to make them truly canon in this brand new instance with IDW, while starting it along with the latest game released, Forces.

Seems like it's all the same thing again - a brand new canon, alien to almost everything but the games - and when this comic die some day, all the OC's born inside it will vanish leaving their fans in grief.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Polkadi said:

Human world.

Sonic's world.

Blaze's world.

Classic world.

notice how none of them have actual names

Isn't Blaze's World called the Sol Dimension?

It's come to the point where anytime I see the word "mandates" in this thread I get a headache.

because Ian said this will be Sonic-focused. 

So... like Archie?

But really though, didn't the solicits mention new villains? So I don't think it's going to constantly be "Sonic vs. Eggman", although that'll probably be the main focus most of the time (unless the new guys are Eggman's minions, in which case BOO).

Also, Ian said that most likely BEFORE everything was set in stone.

I really doubt much has changed regarding the dreaded mandates one way or the other since that podcast.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Isn't Blaze's World called the Sol Dimension?

Only in the Archie comics.

It's never been named in the games.

6 minutes ago, Mister X said:

So... like Archie?

No, according to Ian in today's podcast, it was more about the extended cast. Now I don't know if they're talking SEGA characters, or just Sonic (it better not be; we don't want characters sidelined), but regardless, they have to have OC's in a comic world to expand the actual world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I KNOW that Sonic is SEGA's IP. Doesn't mean I shouldn't complain about how little they care about continuity. Also, Ian said that most likely BEFORE everything was set in stone.

Considering how we've been told out of the gate with solicits that there are new villains, such as "Rough" and "Tumble".

And I'm worried that this comic will become just another "Sonic-fights-Eggman-for-the-umpteenth-time", because Ian said this will be Sonic-focused.

This fear comes off as unfounded to say the least.

14 minutes ago, Mister X said:

It's come to the point where anytime I see the word "mandates" in this thread I get a headache.

So do I, mainly because of fans' overreaction to them. Despite these mandates, they've never really come at the detriment of Sonic's character in the comics as some might suggest.

Don't even get me started on how the reaction at Sonic not being allowed to bawl his  eyes out crying "mandate" from fans was.

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

No, according to Ian in today's podcast, it was more about the extended cast. Now I don't know if they're talking SEGA characters, or just Sonic (it better not be; we don't want characters sidelined), but regardless, they have to have OC's in a comic world to expand the actual world.

Going by the first few issues the comic will be about Sonic with a rotating cast, including official and original characters (like Tangle). So... I don't think there'll be much of an issue, honestly?

6 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Going by the first few issues the comic will be about Sonic with a rotating cast, including official and original characters (like Tangle). So... I don't think there'll be much of an issue, honestly?

I guess. I'm just both hyped and worried for the comic, but I guess I shouldn't until we get more info.

Actually, there are even more dimensions that we forgot to mention:

Sonic's World:

- Human World

- Animal World

- Other planets from space like Planet Wisp

Blaze's World

Classic Sonic's World

Special Stage World

Boom World

It's not THAT complicated, aside from how the Human and Animal worlds are connected, it may be like Sonic X, or kind of like SA1 where Angel Island exists in the human world, so it's likely a gate between the 2 dimensions. Sonic and friends are from the Animal World, Eggman and his family are from the Human World, the Chao come from the Animal World but now exist in both worlds (Sonic X), Angel Island is the gate between worlds, the Chaos Emeralds are chaotic (as Ian said in a podcast) so their origins are a mystery, but I assume they come from the Human World because of the Gaia Temples and the origin of the planet. It sounds a lot like Sonic X to be honest.

58 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Actually, there are even more dimensions that we forgot to mention:

Sonic's World:

- Human World

- Animal World

- Other planets from space like Planet Wisp

Blaze's World

Classic Sonic's World

Special Stage World

Boom World

It's not THAT complicated, aside from how the Human and Animal worlds are connected, it may be like Sonic X, or kind of like SA1 where Angel Island exists in the human world, so it's likely a gate between the 2 dimensions. Sonic and friends are from the Animal World, Eggman and his family are from the Human World, the Chao come from the Animal World but now exist in both worlds (Sonic X), Angel Island is the gate between worlds, the Chaos Emeralds are chaotic (as Ian said in a podcast) so their origins are a mystery, but I assume they come from the Human World because of the Gaia Temples and the origin of the planet. It sounds a lot like Sonic X to be honest.

1 Yeah, there are many. You still forgotten few, like Imaginary world (shuffle)

2 with that said, I don't think "other planet" count as dimension. Heck, Classic, Boom and Sol World are 3 completely different types of dimensions (one is different timeline from Modern Sonic, other is alternative reality (has it's own Sonic, with no connection Classic/Modern guy) and last one is simple different dimension (let's call it "Sub-Dimension"), with no Sonic at all).

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1 Yeah, there are many. You still forgotten few, like Imaginary world (shuffle)

2 with that said, I don't think "other planet" count as dimension. Heck, Classic, Boom and Sol World are 3 completely different types of dimensions (one is different timeline from Modern Sonic, other is alternative reality (has it's own Sonic, with no connection Classic/Modern guy) and last one is simple different dimension (let's call it "Sub-Dimension"), with no Sonic at all).

It's not a dimension, which is why I included it in Sonic's World. The Shuffle world... I don't think that's canon, it wasn't in any major game.

Boom Sonic simply isn't canon to mainline Sonic at all. It's not an alternate reality, it's not a different dimension, it's just not there.

And before you contest that Sticks has been seen in mainline Sonic, that's like insisting that Manga Sonic is an alternate reality because Charmy originated there before being integrated into the mainline later. 

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Boom Sonic simply isn't canon to mainline Sonic at all. It's not an alternate reality, it's not a different dimension, it's just not there.

And before you contest that Sticks has been seen in mainline Sonic, that's like insisting that Manga Sonic is an alternate reality because Charmy originated there before being integrated into the mainline later. 

It could be canon. Sticks crossed over in Worlds Unite and in various spin-offs, so that's either because a version of her exists in the main world or she travelled through worlds, it's possible even though I'm leaning towards the former. We won't know until Sticks makes an appearance in the IDW comic, and it's only a matter of time, we know he will use her since he said she's available.

Two Worlds doesn't fit at all with the games before Unleashed. You should just ignore those games and tell Sonic Team to order IDW write the comics in a world where the pre-Unleashed games either didn't happen or were seriously revised (and better than Sonic X).

11 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

It could be canon. Sticks crossed over in Worlds Unite and in various spin-offs, so that's either because a version of her exists in the main world or she travelled through worlds, it's possible even though I'm leaning towards the former. We won't know until Sticks makes an appearance in the IDW comic, and it's only a matter of time, we know he will use her since he said she's available.

What the comics do is irrelevant to what the games do, otherwise you'd be able to say that Mega Man and Sabrina the Teenage Witch were alternate universes to the games. As it stands, there's nothing that makes the Boom continuity existing in the same universe as mainline Sonic a thing. We just just have two different versions of Sticks, one not linked to what Boom is doing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

It's not a dimension, which is why I included it in Sonic's World. The Shuffle world... I don't think that's canon, it wasn't in any major game.

5 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

It could be canon.

...Okay, you have very confusing idea what cannon is and what isn't. For me, all games are cannon until proven otherwise, that's logic.

Granted, it does mean there are few games hard to classify (Pinball Party, any IOS, most classic spin-offs), but I see little reasons why Shuffle shouldn't be cannon.

Still, you missed Arabian Nights, Arturian Legends, Chaotic Inferno Zone... like I said there are bunch of Sub-dimensions.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

...Okay, you have very confusing idea what cannon is and what isn't. For me, all games are cannon until proven otherwise, that's logic.

Granted, it does mean there are few games hard to classify (Pinball Party, any IOS, most classic spin-offs), but I see little reasons why Shuffle shouldn't be cannon.

Still, you missed Arabian Nights, Arturian Legends, Chaotic Inferno Zone... like I said there are bunch of Sub-dimensions.

...Right, I forgot about those.

For me, only these main games are canon: Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3&K, for the classics, which may or may not be its own timeline/continuity. SA1, SA2, Heroes, Shadow (even though Sega likes to ignore it), Sonic '06 (which happened but the events erased themselves), Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Lost World and Forces for the modern canon.

Mania and the future games set in the Classic era are their own timeline or dimension that collides with the main one in Generations and Forces.

Boom, as it's a videogame sub-franchise, could potentially be its own dimension, or maybe not until we have an official crossover between Modern and Boom. It's possible Sticks exists in both universes, or she travels through worlds, unclear for now.

My secondary canon is composed of: the Advance series, Battle, the Rush series, Rivals 1 (only), the Riders series, and the Storybook series. These are not main games but are still canon because: 

1. Advance 2 introduces Cream

2. Battle continues the Shadow storyline after the events of Shadow the Hedgehog where Shadow regains his memory

3. Rush and SRA because it's established that Blaze is a Princess from the Sol Dimension

4. Rivals 1 is the first canon encounter between Sonic and Silver, but I doubt Rivals 2 is canon

5. I initially did not consider the Storybook series canon until... well, Sonic mentioned "saving genies" in Generations, so, word of God, can't say anything against that.

So basically any games that are acknowledged by other games, or where major events happen in the story, like recurring characters introductions.

This is MY game canon, the other obscure games... I don't consider them canon. As for which of them are canon to the IDW universe... we'll have to wait and see.

9 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

This is MY game canon, the other obscure games... I don't consider them canon. As for which of them are canon to the IDW universe... we'll have to wait and see.

It's very similar to my canon.

But why Rivals 2 wouldnt be canon?

16 hours ago, Mister X said:

What always bugs me is the Mandates complained about are always the ones like "Sonic has to be in character".

• Thumbs Up 1