Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

No, not really. My concern is that this "new direction" just means a safer universe that's much more in-line with the games and doesn't really have its own identity. I think we'll have a lengthy cast. Sonic, Tails, Amy, Eggman and Knuckles are confirmed and a given. Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Silver, Metal Sonic, and the Chaotix are also pretty much a given. I'm worried that that's all we're getting. It depends on how much SEGA is controlling this thing.

I'm at least feeling a little better about the writing. With Ian at the helm, I think we'll get a lot of that Ian-style writing that made the post-reboot Archie Sonic era shine. I just hope he has the characters to work with.

I think that new direction means a fresh start, as the others said, simple as that. I doubt Sega would give less control to IDW than they did with Archie, the reboot still had a lot of freedom despite the mandates, even though Archie and Sega's relationship wasn't the best due to Penders and the legal mess. Now with IDW, I believe they will give the writers more freedom? I hope so, I don't see why it should be the contrary. I mean, it's impossible to have just the characters you mentioned, didn't the IDW crew said they can use anything from the games? I believe they said that during that panel. And I also think it's not possible to populate a world and create new stories without adding new characters, and I doubt Sega would not allow Ian to create new characters, the mandates have more something to do with... not letting the writers do personal stuff and changes to the game cast. It may take time to populate the new universe, but I wouldn't worry too much, after all, didn't the description for the first arc mention new allies? Seems like they are already introducing us to new characters.

On 17.1.2018 at 1:24 AM, Neon Talking CC14 said:

This was just posted in the Facebook group: One of the covers for StH #1!

V5gv2rL.jpg

Guess who's back? Back again? Tracey's back. Tell a friend.

Edit: Espio'd but hey, the image is here on the page for everyone's convenience, I guess.

Hell yes! And Evan Stanley too!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Jack said:

Anyway, I'm a bit confused as to why you're not interested in the new book, is it because of the loss of the old beloved characters? I'll miss them too, but I've been there already when the reboot happened, I care about Sonic and the game cast more than the exclusive comic cast, maybe that's just me, but as long as they are in the book, I'm excited.

It's not the same comic I grew up with and was attached to for years, and the only reason I put up with the fallout of the first reboot was because I fell out of interest due to the comic pretty much going to hell around the SA1 arc (though it was waning in quality even before that) and before Ian came along. The cancellation happened during the height of my enjoyment of the comics in years, and I don't want to go through the motions of trying to build interest and attachment to yet another fucking comic series that, this time, removes the majority of my favorite characters franchise-wide. It doesn't help that I latched onto the post-252 comics due to the writing and quality of world-building picking up the slack where the games have been consistently failing since 2008. In short, I'm pretty sick and tired of caring about things related to Sonic regardless of the medium. The games have let me down (except for Mania), and now the comics have too.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

It's not the same comic I grew up with and was attached to for years, and the only reason I put up with the fallout of the first reboot was because I fell out of interest due to the comic pretty much going to hell around the SA1 arc (though it was waning in quality even before that) and before Ian came along. The cancellation happened during the height of my enjoyment of the comics in years, and I don't want to go through the motions of trying to build interest and attachment to yet another fucking comic series that, this time, removes the majority of my favorite characters franchise-wide. It doesn't help that I latched onto the post-252 comics due to the writing and quality of world-building picking up the slack where the games have been consistently failing since 2008. In short, I'm pretty sick and tired of caring about things related to Sonic regardless of the medium. The games have let me down (except for Mania), and now the comics have too.

I loved the worldbuilding and ideas of the reboot as well, so if Ian managed to come up with those, who knows what awesome ideas he has in store for the new comic... What I'm worried about is that people don't get interested in these new comics and I start to care about the new universe, and then it gets cancelled, again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been through so many different versions of Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, Mega Man, and even Sonic that as long as it's done well, I don't really care about the rest of the details.

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I've been through so many different versions of Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, Mega Man, and even Sonic that as long as it's done well, I don't really care about the rest of the details.

This. I'm so used to new versions of things I love I'm more just willing to see what this one brings.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ditto. I'm kind of a TMNT junkie, so I welcome what each new version brings to the table, both original and carried over. I REALLY enjoyed the world of the post-SGW Sonic comics and it gave me some of my personal favorite stories from the book (Read: Champions), but as long as that book lasted, I kinda knew that it couldn't last forever what with all of the problems that arose over its long history, so I'm just super glad that IDW cared enough to retain Ian and a bunch of the artists for a new book. It won't be exactly the same, but I'm super psyched to see what kind of world Ian can spin with a clean slate free of Archie's various baggage. Considering what he was able to get out of the Archieverse despite all the bizarre crap that went down before, my hopes are quite high.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 17.1.2018 at 2:24 AM, Neon Talking CC14 said:

This was just posted in the Facebook group: One of the covers for StH #1!

V5gv2rL.jpg

Guess who's back?

Well, look at this, I take one day away from here and all stuff starts happening. But first things first;

MR. YARDLEY'S IN DA HOUSE AGAIN!!! OHYEAH!

It's cool, but I feel a bitter taste, as if they're showing us nice stuff for getting Archie Sonic fans in, as if, I dunno, they'd know they're missing something? <_<

I'm the partypooper. Anyway, this is a nice thing, I really love his drawing style, especially the nostalgic years...

On 17.1.2018 at 3:49 AM, Zaysho said:

I don't really get why they're being so vague about who's in. It's not like anyone is holding their breath that IDW secretly saved the Archie book and are bringing it back.

Get it over with already. I'm just tired of them thinking they're spoiling some surprise by holding off on mentioning characters and setting.

My thoughts exactly. They're just dancing around the question like as if it's some kind of a joke.

And I don't consider it as a smart move since it makes me feel as if they don't give any (?) about my experience towards their marketting, just my money, and it's implied in such a clumsy way it makes me feel as if they think I'm completely braindead, which I highly doubt considering how much I need to use those brains of mine on daily basis (believe or not). It doesn't make me feel like buying anything. It's crudely put but I feel they're being kind of over-flegmatic around this matter. They should tell something already, please.

I'd just like to have more answers than "stay tuned", it sounds like the till-the-end-of-the-world studying diploma-engineer's answer to their parents at their annual visit when asked about "when you'll graduate". And it only works in that context. If it's about the thing they can't tell why not say that at the very least! Then I'd know there's another tree to bark at!

Oh geez, should I start trolling people around like this too? Any guesses how long it'd take for me to get a black eye from walking towards a lamp post... you know?

• Nice Smile 1

See, while I think the Archie fans are completely in their right to not be immediately open-armed towards this new book, I also don't think the new book is in any way in the wrong for cutting ties from what came before.

The only links the two share are that they're both comic books and one is following pretty hot on the heels of the other's cancellation (lets discount the staff that are being carried over). While I was barely born at the time, I imagine people weren't on Sonic Underground's case for not using the Satam Freedom Fighters for exmaple and I think that'd have been a far more understandable argument considering how similar they were with their premises.

This new book deserves its opportunity to make its own mark. We haven't seen how the IDW series will shape up yet, and sure for all we know it could turn out to be inferior to the Archie days but it's not gonna because it chose to not be Archie. 

I personally couldn't get invested into the Archie series for one reason or another but I wouldn't have wanted to see it be abruptly ended in favour of a new comic while it was still going. Since that did happen though, I think it's for the best that they don't seem to be looking back. It does suck for the fans of the old comic and they deserved a better ending than they got but it's also a bit unfair to give the IDW book a hard time just for not trying to follow what came before.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

Just make the story and characters good. I don't care much who returns and who doesn't.

Same here. A smaller cast is actually what I would prefer. The Sonic Archie Comics had way to many of them at the end.

• Thumbs Up 4

Weell, actually...

I wouldn't be this sour if we'd be given a proper ending with all the "promised" stuff, as in solicited and such issues.

I'm sure I would've been more willing to let stuff go, but you know what;

I feel bummed.

They didn't talk for months, I kept being positive, believing it wasn't any big deal. Stupid me should've known better, exept this was the first time this happened to me.

They dropped the bomb. I went all over the place, and I'm still regrouping from that.

The damned way they've handled this trainwreck makes me question why I should even bother. Why I even started to read these. Why they keep treating this whole deal like "lulz lik nobody carez wtf" way. Why I keep caring instead of doing something else, like listening to cool 80's European music or reading, I dunno, comics that are still going on?

Over 20 years and they threw Archie deal away like a wet mitten with just a one single tweet. I feel insulted.

Heck yeah I was naive, but I think it's because I had no experience over stuff like this. I'm not used to trash like this. And heck no I want to get used to trash like this, I'll start to sound like an old sour geezer!

Sometimes I just wonder why I won't just throw my gloves on the desk and shout from the bottom of my lungs keep your jack, I'm outta here.

Prolly I'm too stubborn and I'm still a stupid idiot who thinks there might be some hope achieved by telling everyone how much I liked these characters that have been treated like nothing by their owners. I feel like I've been treated like that for getting attached to those the way they've been thrown away.

Like heck, I'd say bring in every character, use them the best way, I'd say yes to everybody. Like really, everybody. I'm not kidding guys, if done well, anyone could have a chance to work well in a story.

I just want a closure, not a wet rug on my face. If there'd been closure, this wouldn't be such a big deal, but the way they handled the whole mess, has made this personal. And I hate it when people pull stunts like this, without giving any context.

Just, just let me rest in peace already, just spill the beans, please. I'm not liking your little mind games, just say whatever's the case, please. Anything else than stay tuned or complete ignorance, best would of course be if they'd give a straight answer but this track record doesn't give me any reason for hoping for such.

This all is just so baffling. And I'm supposed to buy that thing after all this mishandling? It's not like it's all on IDW, Archie's playing mute and Sega's whatever it is.

Whatever, I've almost gone to pieces already, lessee if I'll end up going out to lunch, I'm tired of running with the bunch already.

Kids aren't though. Kids do whatever the group does, I've seen it myself. Kids are going to love this.

Though I suppose it's going to be an awesome comic so it's prolly all cool, but I wonder would my heart really take it, read that "shiny new thing"...

Of course they have every right to throw it all away, but well, whatever, I dunno, I have no saying over this stuff so maybe it's the best I leave you US people run your US market in your US way or something...

So in short; the real-life handling of stuff has corrupted my enjoyment to the new stuff in a way I prolly can't enjoy it. Sorry about that guys.

:(

Moral of the story; never again let BlueSky grow invested in anything US licenced "comic book" stuff. The mess isn't delightful in the slightest and it leaves a sour aftertaste with a hint of iron as they keep screaming until their throat's shredded.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm crossing my fingers that IDW picks up Sonic Universe... I hope we have more comics focused on side characters, as I like Sonic character side-stories (and solo adventures) more than adventures with just Sonic himself...

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, we better see some side characters getting the spotlight like Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Blaze... I like Sonic specially after the reboot and in Mega Drive, but please let other characters take the spotlight. Keep the pace from the Universe series.

And we need a more cohesive cast this time too, so, a bit less characters. Team Sonic, Eggman, Team Dark, Team Rose, Team Chaotix, Team Hooligans, Blaze, Silver, Mighty, Ray, those are a given as said before. But what about the NEW characters huh... I hope they don't just be there just to waste space.

5 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

What I'm worried about is that people don't get interested in these new comics and I start to care about the new universe, and then it gets cancelled, again.

We don't even have a book yet, and I think you're worried over nothing. If IDW fails, it won't be the fault of some holdouts who preferred Archie's version (if anything, I'd be a lot more worried about Sega's mismanagement having a direct effect on IDW and even then I think it's too early to say).

Don't guilt trip people into caring. It's on IDW to make a good book.

5 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

What I'm worried about is that people don't get interested in these new comics and I start to care about the new universe, and then it gets cancelled, again.

You're worrying about nothing. If the Archie book could last for 23 years despite all the dark age and legal shenanigans under one of the most niche comic book companies I think this book will do just fine. It's freaken Sonic it'll last a while.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

@Zaysho Is he actually "guilt tripping people into caring" though? IDW could make a fantastic comic that just, for whatever reason, doesn't manage to sell well enough and ends up being canned. I think that that's all he's getting at - fear that the comic might not work out. 

• Thumbs Up 4

31 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

@Zaysho Is he actually "guilt tripping people into caring" though? IDW could make a fantastic comic that just, for whatever reason, doesn't manage to sell well enough and ends up being canned. I think that that's all he's getting at - fear that the comic might not work out. 

(for the record, I wasn't saying that as a moderator)

I mean, I get it, but there's been an undercurrent of telling people to just give the book a chance or acting like because some people want some aspect from the last book to survive it'll hurt the book if IDW comes right out and says Sally and crew are gone. And it doesn't seem to account at all that people outside this fandom bubble might buy it because it's a recognizable brand, and one that's family/kid-friendly. (and, in general, not give a shit who characters like Sally are). We don't have a book yet, and I think there's a lot of paranoia about its success, some of it understandable, but then I read posts like this

On 1/17/2018 at 5:26 AM, Dr. Jack said:

They're just saving themselves from the fans, they want readers to buy the comics. What else should they do? "Yeah, the Freedom Fighters are gone, now everyone, you can stop caring about the IDW comics" Since all they seem to care are the Freedom Fighters.

And it comes across as if it'd be Archie fans' fault the book doesn't do well. It'd be like telling anyone who liked Fleetway to get over its cancellation and just read Archie.

If I'm being unfair about it or missing something, I'm sorry.

I do plan on buying this book and checking it out, which I don't think I'd have done if the creative team didn't have people I can trust to handle Sonic well (because I'm still pissed at how Sega handled the cancellation), but that's a choice I'm making. People can be concerned about it, but we don't even have a first issue solicitation yet, so I don't see a point in worrying. I'd be much more concerned this ends up like IDW's Godzilla line, but I think it's still early to worry about that. If the book does well and is otherwise at least as good as Archie's, I think people will come around if they really feel like it.

Well, I may be worried too much that the book won't be successful, but most of you are worrying too much that it will suck XD

I'm sorry if I said it'd be on the Archie fans if the book failed in sales, I understand their choice if they don't want to buy it, the new book is likely catered towards general Sonic fans anyway, hence the possible focus on the game cast. This is why I hope more general fans will read it, in particular, those who didn't care about the Archie comics because of their baggage. Since this is a fresh start, it's the perfect opportunity to jump into a Sonic comic.

6 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

Well, I'm worried about the fact that people that stopped reading Archie Sonic after reboot might've played a part in its cancellation. And I did enjoy that thing. Go figure.

And I'm one of those evil stubborn people who'll do the exact opposite that some people are telling them to do, go figure.

I suppose it's alright to be worried about it but again, this thing seems like it's casting its net a bit wider than those who have issues with it already. I suppose this isn't looking bad yet for you guys. ^_^

And for the record, again, I'm quite certain it won't suck. I'm pretty sure it'll be awesome in a way.

I'd say that the concerns about the book audience not being big enough are valid - honestly I can't imagine much brand-new people getting hooked on. Especially because of the recent great shame that Sonic Forces was. It brought damage to the brand as a whole.

Let's see what happens now... The few game fans won't have the classic excuse of "those demm OC's everywhere" to not care about the book.

49 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

(for the record, I wasn't saying that as a moderator)

I mean, I get it, but there's been an undercurrent of telling people to just give the book a chance or acting like because some people want some aspect from the last book to survive it'll hurt the book if IDW comes right out and says Sally and crew are gone. And it doesn't seem to account at all that people outside this fandom bubble might buy it because it's a recognizable brand, and one that's family/kid-friendly. (and, in general, not give a shit who characters like Sally are). We don't have a book yet, and I think there's a lot of paranoia about its success, some of it understandable, but then I read posts like this

I think he's worried specifically about the audience - not quality. Because the post-reboot was great in his opinion, but still had bad sales and had the plug pulled violently by SEGA, not even caring about giving a proper closure - something that would'nt hurt to do. A few more issues to do a respectful farewell...

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing that I'm concerned about it that it may feel very episodic. While it may be fun to read and all, I won't feel like investing into something that is just a funbook. (Indicentally, this is one of the few reasons I didn't particularly enjoy Mega Drive, etc).

It can be hard to not have that feeling when reading the first book. However, since it will be released weekly for the first 4 books, it may help alleviate that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, Korke said:

I think he's worried specifically about the audience - not quality.

Like I've said already, I think the book will still find its audience. Whether the book ultimately wins over people Sega already burned with their treatment of Archie is another matter and my problem was this apparent guilt-tripping or expectation that Archie fans just need to jump on board and give it a chance or that IDW saying anything regarding DiC/Archie characters could run them off and affect the book. It's possible I blew that out of proportion, but it's recurring enough it starts to feel like that.

re:the post-reboot sales, my understanding was that the book was middling and more or less how it usually was through its run (I wanna say pre-orders generally hovered around 6,000 to 8,000 books on average) and there were lots of internal issues that led to it being pulled. Sales probably didn't help, but with how much crap that was going on in the last two years of the book's run, not least of all Archie getting sued over Sonic again, I don't think it was the main contributor to Sega's decision.

I have good faith in IDW, as I actively buy nearly all of their monthly releases. I specifically like their Back to the Future comics, and I have all of the series' issues, sub-series, and graphic novels. I'm a big comic collector, if you couldn't tell... :P