Awoo.

Metroid Prime 4 Announced for Nintendo Switch

Zippo

Other m took place after her baby died. Explains the drama. The primes take place before super technically.  no reason 4 can't go after it. Aka devil may  cry story line

The Prime games actually take place before 2. The baby Metroid doesn't even exist yet during them.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. :)

I'm still not sure how this can really be a Prime game though, given that the way Corruption ended pretty much wrapped up the whole story. The press release described 4 as tying the games together... But I again don't see that there's any need for it.

How about a new story?

8 minutes ago, Patticus said:

Thanks for the clarification everyone. :)

I'm still not sure how this can really be a Prime game though, given that the way Corruption ended pretty much wrapped up the whole story. The press release described 4 as tying the games together... But I again don't see that there's any need for it.

How about a new story?

Perhaps it'll be a Prime game that takes place after Fusion and onward?

I doubt that. Story-wise it'll probably continue on the Prime 3's (And Federation Force's) cliffhanger and have Tanabe's waifu Sylux as big part of the game.

On 6/13/2017 at 1:22 PM, Diogenes said:

A little disappointed to hear it's not Retro Studios working on it, since they did such good work with the series in the first place, but hell, a new Prime is worth getting excited about regardless. Can't wait to see some actual footage...and here's hoping they don't fuck it up.

Eh, while true, several of the key developers behind the Metroid Prime games left Retro years ago and formed another company, Armature, which made ReCore. Retro is still great, but they're not made of the same people who produced Metroid Prime and it would've likely been taken in a different direction.

I'm realize surprised its being made in Kyoto, though.

9 hours ago, Marcello said:

I doubt that. Story-wise it'll probably continue on the Prime 3's (And Federation Force's) cliffhanger and have Tanabe's waifu Sylux as big part of the game.

Tanabe has basically confirmed several times that Sylux is playing a major part during Prime 4. Sylux's ship was at the end of Prime 3 as I've heard, Tanabe talked about how he'd want to continue Prime 4 with Sylux to follow up on that back in 2015, and in 2016's Federation Force, as you say, Sylux was again in the credits.

21 hours ago, Patticus said:

Quick question: I've heard over the years that Metroid: Other M made the Prime games non-canon somehow. Is this true? And if it is, wouldn't it make more sense to call this new game something else?

It was indirectly implied that they were non-canon by Samus stating that her linking up with Malkovich's squad would be her first joint mission with the Galactic Federation since becoming a bounty hunter, completely ignoring her being commissioned by the Federation in both Prime 2 and 3 (and the original Metroid game, if you think about it).

It's stuff like that, and lots of other silly little retcons (i.e. Samus referring to the Space Pirates as "Zebesians"... Despite not originating from Zebes), and I think Sakamoto said on one occasion that he wasn't happy with how the Prime games presented Samus.

I don't know if it's been outright stated that the Prime games weren't canon, but I think that the assumptions is made from Other M's (really amazingly shitty) writing and Sakamoto's personal jealousy and resentment of the Prime Trilogy's success that the Prime games were retconned.

NINTENDO EXEC: How far along are we in the development of Metroid Prime 4?

NINTENDO EXEC 2: We just got the greenlight to begin development.

NINTENDO EXEC: Make an E3 trailer with nothing but a logo. Fans will explode.

Gotta say, it was a super smart move, and didn't take much. Good thinking, Ninty.

6 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It was indirectly implied that they were non-canon by Samus stating that her linking up with Malkovich's squad would be her first joint mission with the Galactic Federation since becoming a bounty hunter, completely ignoring her being commissioned by the Federation in both Prime 2 and 3 (and the original Metroid game, if you think about it).

It's stuff like that, and lots of other silly little retcons (i.e. Samus referring to the Space Pirates as "Zebesians"... Despite not originating from Zebes), and I think Sakamoto said on one occasion that he wasn't happy with how the Prime games presented Samus.

I don't know if it's been outright stated that the Prime games weren't canon, but I think that the assumptions is made from Other M's (really amazingly shitty) writing and Sakamoto's personal jealousy and resentment of the Prime Trilogy's success that the Prime games were retconned.

Being her first joint-mission does not mean she never worked with the Federation before. Its just the first time she DIRECTLY worked with them. I thought that was obvious. In the past, she was basically Star Fox--she was hired by them, but she didn't work directly for them and never participated in any operations with them. This incident is her participating in a mission directly with the Federation, which she had never done before.

2 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

Being her first joint-mission does not mean she never worked with the Federation before. Its just the first time she DIRECTLY worked with them. I thought that was obvious. In the past, she was basically Star Fox--she was hired by them, but she didn't work directly for them and never participated in any operations with them. This incident is her participating in a mission directly with the Federation, which she had never done before.

She did in Prime 3.

Either way, it's not a very solid retcon, and I'm just willing to chalk it up to Sakamoto being a really shit writer. Which he is.

I agree.  It seems too casual and somewhat messy an inconsistency to be a deliberate and intentional retcon.  It's just a sloppy bit of writing in a game which wasn't well-received, and since an actual Prime 4 is coming along then you'd be better-placed to argue that Other M is the one that's not canon.

Think Nintendo themselves may be trying to forget Other M happened with the continuation of this form of 3D style instead.

They likely will be willing to continue the story left by the Prime trilogy (namely 3 judging by the cliffhanger) and FF as well.

As for the story of the mainline series - I'd wait until Metroid: Samus Returns to see how they handle the ending of the game. Namely with how it continues straight into Super and ultimately (if canon) Other M with the baby Metroid.

Said returns is super metroid it's just a fancy upgrade remake.  noting say a there trying to forget other m. It still happens. Same for the latest star gox. Just cause some fans don't like it doesn't write it out of continually

On 6/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, Mark1 said:

Think Nintendo themselves may be trying to forget Other M happened with the continuation of this form of 3D style instead.

If that's the case, then why is Metroid's representation in Smash heavily based on Other M? And don't tell me that it's because it was the most recent game in the series, because as ShayMay pointed out, Zelda and Link have their Twilight Princess designs.

I don't know, it's stuff like this why I'm cynical in regards to them announcing Metroid Prime 4. The only reassurance I have is that Tanabe is working on it, and that Sakamoto (seemingly) has his head back in the game with Metroid: Samus Returns.

The fact that they're announcing that they're working on a Metroid Prime: 4 without anything to show for it aside from a half-assed title card doesn't make me particularly excited; we do have a precedent, with Nintendo yes, of them announcing a game... Even going as far as showing a working gameplay sample, and either it going a complete 180 to another direction, or getting buried in development hell.

The time I get excited for a Metroid Prime 4, is when they actually show gameplay, with an intent of a release date, and if it actually looks good.

So, what are the chances we get an HD version of Metroid Prime Trilogy before MP4 releases?

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

So, what are the chances we get an HD version of Metroid Prime Trilogy before MP4 releases?

Didn't that already happen on the Wii U? I shouldn't think it'd be very hard to give that one a spit shine and another re-release on the Switch, and like the fiscal wastrel that I am I know I'd have to have it.

3 hours ago, Patticus said:

Didn't that already happen on the Wii U? I shouldn't think it'd be very hard to give that one a spit shine and another re-release on the Switch, and like the fiscal wastrel that I am I know I'd have to have it.

It was just a Virtual Console release, not native 1080p.

As it is, I play the Prime Trilogy on Dolphin these days and... Well.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:46 AM, shdowhunt60 said:

If that's the case, then why is Metroid's representation in Smash heavily based on Other M?

Because Sakurai.

3 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Because Sakurai.

Fair enough. Leave it to Sakurai to pay service to the most unilaterally hated Metroid release at the time.

I'm still on the fence  if the studio that made most all the games people ate flipping out about are not making it I'm in the fence. Like the new star fox. Good but no where as good as older ones

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I'm still on the fence  if the studio that made most all the games people ate flipping out about are not making it I'm in the fence. Like the new star fox. Good but no where as good as older ones

The problem is that most of the big names behind Metroid Prime already left and formed Armature. Retro isn't the same company that made Metroid Prime anymore.

The new Star Fox sucked because Miyamoto had a vision that just didn't work. The problem wasn't the developers, the problem was Miyamoto being stuck in the distant past.

Yeah, people seriously don't get that when it comes to Retro. It's not the same company, after the Prime Trilogy was released there was a huge falling out and pretty much everyone left for Armature and 343i.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, on the flipside the people still at Retro are still talented - the Donkey Kong Country games made by them were pretty great, after all. Whether they can still make another great Metroid Prime would be another question entirely, but I suppose it's a moot point since this new game is being made by a new team, but it'll be interesting to see who is on the new team and what they plan to do with MP4.

• Thumbs Up 2