Awoo.

Sonic Runners Adventure "It's out... OK?"

Badnik Mechanic

As long as the microtransactions aren't greedily and shittly implemented and this isn't a AAA styled pay to win/fee to pay type deal, this could be decent. Get those crappy AAA industry practices outta there

We might've figured that Runners Adventure existed today but it seems like a Russian site broke the news before any of us knew.

http://gameloftclub.ru/novosti-i-anonsyi/gameloft-i-sega-gotovyat-novyiy-ranner-vo-vselennoy-sonika-sonic-runners-adventure.html

And if you want to know the credibility of the site, if it means anything to ya. Well here's a word from the writer of the article.

C83FSQrV0AECPa0.jpg

maybe we should interrogate  contact gameloft or SEGA for details. at least ask them if the game is still coming out ever.

6 hours ago, N8te said:

Are we not going to talk about this banner though?

1500x500.thumb.jpg.714869dcbf16b1608d68da8a8fd823aa.jpg

Either that twitter page knows something we don't know or the bottom-right image is in reference to the Sonic movie. I can't do a translation since it's an image.

It's just a banner for news site just like every other one has. Calm down guys, you're funny :)

The info removal from Gameloft support page was quite predictable, though what it means we just have to wait and see I guess. Me personally, I think this thing is truly legit but not ready for publication, yet somehow it was leaked. I find this art and logo style quite generic in my opinion, especially the logo, and it seems like it's not finished yet, just conceptually designed. I may be wrong but who knows.

Seems Sega is doing what they should have done in the first place and allowing a developer that has much more experience in working on mobile games to make this one which I'm all for. I've read some questionable things about GameLoft though, so I'm not sure if they'll screw it over with micro-transactions, but the faq mentioned you could unlock characters by purchasing them with rings earned in game so it at least means the damn roulette is obsolete, thank God.

I'm positive they'll fix that issue Runners had where it constantly added data without removing the unnecessary data beforehand which absolutely ate up the memory in my phone and used up so many resources that it felt like it was about to explode in my hand. And it doesn't have to be online constantly so those load times should be significantly shorter.

Also I'm really diggin' that render of Sonic jumping through the ring for some reason. Maybe it's just the shading on it, but still it looks pretty cool

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

but the faq mentioned you could unlock characters by purchasing them with rings earned in game so it at least means the damn roulette is obsolete, thank God.

I wouldn't be doing a happy dance just yet.

There is nothing to say that the rings necessary to purchase characters will be anything close to even remotely feasible. Even if the option is there to "earn" your extra playable characters, a flick of a switch could make racking up the required rings for them next to impossible (1 Billion rings to unlock Shadow's left leg lol #toughluck) as an incentive to get more people to break down and buy what they want. It wouldn't be the first mobile game to do so and it wouldn't be the last.

The roulette was an abomination, but I have to imagine a small handful of people made out like bandits because of it. That one guy you know who kept rolling character after character probably has little to complain about. An impossible economy might hurt us even worse in the long run. Replacing a system that 95% of us complain about with one that 99% of us will complain about. Eh, lets hope they don't go too overboard with that...

All that aside, I adored Sonic Runners. It was a fun time killer and I would just die if they implemented it as a mini-game in future titles. (Just imagine playing that during 06's loading screens). I think it is a pretty slick foundation to build from and I have high hopes for its sequel. Hopefully having an experienced mobile developer on board will iron out the technical difficulties. I'd rather not watch my phone almost melt trying to load up Runners 2.0.

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I wouldn't be doing a happy dance just yet.

There is nothing to say that the rings necessary to purchase characters will be anything close to even remotely feasible. Even if the option is there to "earn" your extra playable characters, a flick of a switch could make racking up the required rings for them next to impossible (1 Billion rings to unlock Shadow's left leg lol #toughluck) as an incentive to get more people to break down and buy what they want. It wouldn't be the first mobile game to do so and it wouldn't be the last.

The roulette was an abomination, but I have to imagine a small handful of people made out like bandits because of it. That one guy you know who kept rolling character after character probably has little to complain about. An impossible economy might hurt us even worse in the long run. Replacing a system that 95% of us complain about with one that 99% of us will complain about. Eh, lets hope they don't go too overboard with that...

All that aside, I adored Sonic Runners. It was a fun time killer and I would just die if they implemented it as a mini-game in future titles. (Just imagine playing that during 06's loading screens). I think it is a pretty slick foundation to build from and I have high hopes for its sequel. Hopefully having an experienced mobile developer on board will iron out the technical difficulties. I'd rather not watch my phone almost melt trying to load up Runners 2.0.

Happy dance? You mean like this?

giphy.gif

Believe me, I'm not doing a happy dance until I can see the game in action. I'm just relieved that at least the roulette isn't in so I'm not just wasting money on a useless buddy character. Also I'd prefer they just let me pay like $5.00 or something and be done with it so that way there'd be no excuse to plague the game with ads.

I just checked on web archive if the game was mentioned in their faqs page anytime last year, andi t wasn't. It was definitely added this year, and I think it's an upcoming game, not a cancelled one.

My guess is that the page went online too soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

I'm positive they'll fix that issue Runners had where it constantly added data without removing the unnecessary data beforehand which absolutely ate up the memory in my phone and used up so many resources that it felt like it was about to explode in my hand. And it doesn't have to be online constantly so those load times should be significantly shorter.

You know, the clear cache button actually DID this right?

23 minutes ago, Zoroark & Flare said:

Yeah after how many months of it not being there?

Some people had several gigs of memory wasted because of such a poor design error.

38 minutes ago, Zoroark & Flare said:

I'm pretty sure his point is that there shouldn't be a Make The Game Play Better button.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey, that actually got released. 

Only in Japan, but that's still a release. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hey, that actually got released. 

Only in Japan, but that's still a release. 

They incorporated the design in the standard Sonic Dash game though?

Interesting rumor. If it's true, then the existence of sonic dash 2 is pretty questionable. Especially since it came out months after rise of lyric. You would've think they had enough time to canned it or delay it so it can be alter into something different. 

Or maybe because it was far too late in development and maybe so was fire and ice, I think.

2 hours ago, Soni said:

TimmiT looked more into it and found it's just people speculating

http://dedomil.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=3994&pid=27333#pid27333

So idk, if it's really the case.

There are other reasons to not believe what this guy is saying. The support page shows the game has a lot of similarities to the original Sonic Runners. So unless Gameloft just so happened to develop a game that similar to Runners before it came out it's unlikely that this is that rumored Sonic Boom game. That is, if it actually existed in the first place. It could of course be that they maybe used some of the supposed cancelled Boom game as a basis, but then that still doesn't match up to what this guy is saying.

There's also that he thinks the game may be coming to Java ME, which seems incredibly unlikely. Gameloft does still at times develop Java ME games, but they'd have to develop a completely different version of Runners to run on those phones and it seems unlikely Sega would still want to target that market.

Uh-oh. They put the word Adventure in the title. I'm obligated to care despite not really planning on downloading any mobile games. 

I'd like to point out that bottom right picture in the banner is from an old fan-made image of a ring if I'm not mistaken.

sonic_movie_teaser_2_by_mateus2014-d8879

So... Eh... Dunno what this proves really but just pointing it out.

And considering SEGA almost landed RIGHT into some real legal hot sh@t over the roulette in Runners, no, I doubt they're dumb enough to do it again.

17 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

And considering SEGA almost landed RIGHT into some real legal hot sh@t over the roulette in Runners, no, I doubt they're dumb enough to do it again.

Did this legit happen or is this just an assumption? Because Sonic Runners is far from the only game to have done gambling mechanics like that. Games with those kinds of mechanics (also called gacha games) are huge in Japan and were a thing years before Runners was released. For more recent examples, see Fire Emblem Heroes, or loot boxes in Overwatch and recent Call of Duty games. Sonic Runners was just slightly more blatant about it being gambling.

Just now, TimmiT said:

Did this legit happen or is this just an assumption? Because Sonic Runners is far from the only game to have done gambling mechanics like that. Games with those kinds of mechanics (also called Gacha games) are huge in Japan and were a thing years before Runners was released. For more recent examples, see Fire Emblem Heroes, or loot boxes in Overwatch and recent Call of Duty games. Sonic Runners was just slightly more blatant about it being gambling.

It was pretty widespread revolving consumers and various reporters alike that the roulette system in Runners was a pretty heated issue due to using the Sonic franchise of all things to push gambling toward underage players.

I'm not certain of the extent of this but it's not necessarily wrong to say that SEGA nearly made missteps into waters they'd best avoid.