Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

It sounds like the stay only applies to those currently detained or in transit, but there's a push to get class action status, which would make it apply to everyone and not just those currently having legal trouble.

This will likely end up having to go before the Supreme Court, especially if some other federal court disagrees (and I'm willing to wager some Southern judge is already working to make a name for himself by finding a similar case to rule on). In the meantime, the domino effect of jurisprudence means we're likely going to see support well up behind this ruling.

Still, a huge victory, especially since it happened so quickly. The Trump administration just got slapped across the face with the Constitution.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as going in front of the supreme court, remember that Trump is set to make his nomination fairly soon, which could complicate a victory. Still, this is a much needed win after a week of Trump signing some pretty damaging orders. There's still a long long road ahead.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

As far as going in front of the supreme court, remember that Trump is set to make his nomination fairly soon, which could complicate a victory. Still, this is a much needed win after a week of Trump signing some pretty damaging orders. There's still a long long road ahead.

The good news is he's replacing Scalia, who was regressive anyway.

The effective makeup of the Court remains unchanged, even if it slides a little to the right overall, but the main idea is this will largely be the same Court that supported Obamacare's legality and nationwide gay marriage as much as Citizens United.

The Supreme Court's tendency is to only really be partisan on unclear issues. Trump is pretty clearly overstepping his bounds by defying Congressional law.

He's not as powerful as we think, even if he is powerful.

Real concerns will happen should a moderate or liberal justice retire/die, in which case the Court's going to slide right for a generation. Taking control of the Senate in 2018, as a long shot as it is, is extremely important to limit the long-term fallout of the Trump years.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope that's the case, but the last year+ has really made a pessimist out of me. Suppose I'm mostly bracing for the worst in a lot of ways.

The Supreme Court is the American equivalent of a constitutional monarchy. Despite the fact they obviously have their own biases and prejudices, they tend to be fairly highly revered, seen as being above politics (a clear falsehood, but it's a nice idea in a country where we don't have an apolitical head of state).

Were they to side with Trump on this, I think they'd lose all legitimacy and a great deal of their power. There's no debate that he's violating the law, as Congress has specifically reserved the power on this to itself. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision is near-unanimous. It must be remembered that conservative justices often have a libertarian streak. On the campaign trail, right wing magazines were showing concern about Trump, feeling he'd do more damage to the Constitution than Obama (ouch), and I'd presume one or two of the Court's conservative bench feel the same way.

I'd note that the positions we don't like from the Court, like being uncompromisingly pro-life or opposing campaign finance regulations, are at least rooted in some misguided principle, and also are made on relatively unexplored areas of law. It's so obvious Trump is in the wrong on this and there's very little evidence to back his side up that I'd be more surprised if the Supreme Court didn't strike it down.

Here's a hope spot: Nixon appointed 4 Supreme Court justices. In spite of that, all 9 Justices ended up ordering him to turn over the tapes that led to his resignation.

• Thumbs Up 5

Shaun King retweeted a signed EO that may be our worst (and not covered on the news).

More from Raw Story: https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/trump-boots-top-officials-but-includes-steve-bannon-in-reshuffled-national-security-council/

What this essentially means is the military gets less of a say in the NSC, while Bannon remains Trump's right-hand man and gets a say in the NSC. To say it's disturbing is an understatement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reports coming in of some rogue federal agents not complying with the stay and deporting people anyway. Arrest these shits.

• Thumbs Up 5

Not sure if Trump is evil or stupid with the NSC decision.

It's obvious Bannon shouldn't be there. He's only there, most likely, to tell Trump how he can use information for political gain.

The man's not even hiding that he's a blatant powermonger.

5 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Reports coming in of some rogue federal agents not complying with the stay and deporting people anyway. Arrest these shits.

This is going to a Kim Davis Redux, isn't it?

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I'm fucking disgusted how people are defending this by going "well Obama deported tons of people too." 

It basically ignores that Obama did this with a lot more class, precision, and overall seems far less discriminatory.

We have to remember: Obama also got in trouble for issuing an Executive Order that protected a ton of undocumented people. I'd imagine those he deported were for good reason (or alternatively, didn't have that compelling a reason to stay, and he wasn't going to sacrifice political capital to protect them when he had a million other policies he wanted to work on).

I hear a similar line being said about the refugee ban, how Obama did it with Iraq. Yes. Iraq. The country that kind of fell apart. Then there's the question of context: modern refugee admissions are already pretty stringent. It seems unnecessary to have a flat out ban when it takes forever to get in already. It's possible Obama's order predates those strict measures.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

It seems par the course given Trump's likely set a record with how fast his Executive Order was stayed - literally the next day, and probably barely over 24 hours later.

I think Trump's trying to get everything he can do (or think he can do) unilaterally out of the way, making the first few weeks hectic, before he has to actually work with Congress. But as he's finding out, he may be fast, but so are his opponents.

• Thumbs Up 2

Prepare to expend your daily allotment of "oh crap."

Trump is currently mulling over whether or not to require foreign visitors to share their social media and internet browsing information and cell phone contacts. Those who refuse could be denied entry into the US. If this passes, say goodbye to US tourism. It's just a preliminary idea, with no formal proposal, but given Trump's record, don't be surprised if it goes forward.

Shifting outside the USA, reprisals have begun. Iraq has passed a law that no American citizens will be allowed in the country for 90 days, even those with visas. Iraq's government says the ban will be lifted if the US lifts its own.

Trump, as a man who received his economics degree many, many decades ago before the rise of globalism, the digital age, deindustrialization, etc. is showing his clear lack of understanding of modern economics. He feels that the USA can simply do as it pleases in a highly-integrated world, and is in for a rude surprise as retaliatory tariffs, travel bans, etc. get issued against Americans if more states follow Iraq's lead.

He's going to run us into the ground if he keeps this up.

• Thumbs Up 4

I feel like the worst thing about the travel ban is that Trump supporters were the least likely to even go there anyway, so this isn't affecting them. Regardless, don't blame Iraq at all and feel the other six countries need to do the same. Tearing down diplomatic relations should not be tolerated.

EDIT: 

Assuming this is true (there's been no verification on this account), can we call the executive branch stepping over the judicial one fascism now, or do we have to wait for these motherfuckers to start rounding up Muslims and brown people in camps?

• Thumbs Up 1

America's going to become the most hated country in the world (well, more hated than it probably already is,with the exception of maybe North Korea) if Trump keeps this idiocy up.

28 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

America's going to become the most hated country in the world (well, more hated than it probably already is,with the exception of maybe North Korea) if Trump keeps this idiocy up.

I just hope we're communicating loud and clear that we don't stand with him as a whole.

It figures that Bush and Trump, both leaders that ruined America's reputation with many, were both only allowed to rule because of an outdated legal provision.

We really need to get rid of the Electoral College. An amendment is improbable given the red states are more numerous, but the Interstate Popular Vote Compact is very feasible. We just need to pass it in a few key states, largely ones Clinton won.

• Thumbs Up 3

Did I hear this right: Has Trump replaced the top ranking general on the National Security Council with Steve Bannon?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Patticus said:

Did I hear this right: Has Trump replaced the top ranking general on the Security Council with Steve Bannon?

Yes, you did.

3 minutes ago, Patticus said:

Did I hear this right: Has Trump replaced the top ranking general on the National Security Council with Steve Bannon?

You sure as shit did!

We are going downhill so fast I'm sure any laughter is a coping mechanism for the grief and terror.

Trump's either incredibly stupid (likely), or is planning to make use of Bannon as chief strategist to use sensitive information against critics.

Of course, we're going to see if Bannon is actually good for anything other than running a shitty website. I doubt he's a Machiavellian mastermind. Having him as strategist is great for press and spin, but not much else with governing. Bannon, like Trump, is a businessman, not a politician.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

You sure as shit did!

We are going downhill so fast I'm sure any laughter is a coping mechanism for the grief and terror.

Trump's either incredibly stupid (likely), or is planning to make use of Bannon as chief strategist to use sensitive information against critics.

Of course, we're going to see if Bannon is actually good for anything other than running a shitty website. I doubt he's a Machiavellian mastermind. Having him as strategist is great for press and spin, but not much else with governing. Bannon, like Trump, is a businessman, not a politician.

You're quite the optimist lol

Protests around the country are still going strong. From Boston:

In Houston:

The public is not rolling over in regards to this shit. There's actually something to be proud of in my country.

In political news, CBP officials are apparently being told not to talk to members of Congress about any of this and to keep continuing to act on the executive order. The jail sentences just got ten years longer. Furthermore, Sen. Dianne Feinstein is going to introduce two bills tomorrow that would reverse Trump's executive order and limit the amount of power over immigration that the executive branch yields. Les go, America.

• Thumbs Up 9