Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

Interesting news:

Hillary Clinton Emails Held Info Beyond Top Secret: IG

Emails from Hillary Clinton's home server contained information classified at levels higher than previously known, including a level meant to protect some of the most sensitive U.S. intelligence, according to a document obtained by NBC News.

In a letter to lawmakers, the intelligence community's internal watchdog says some of Clinton's emails contained information classified Top Secret/Special Access Program, a secrecy designation that includes some of the most closely held U.S. intelligence matters.

Two American intelligence officials tell NBC News these are not the same two emails from Clinton's server that have long been reported as containing information deemed Top Secret.

The State Department is under court order to release Clinton's government-related emails under the Freedom of Information Act. Clinton has turned over about 55,000 emails, and almost all have been released, though they have been heavily censored. The last batch is due to be made public Jan. 29.

While Republicans have criticized Clinton over the issue, her defenders have pointed out that the State Department has long faced the problem of how to communicate about sensitive matters. Unlike the CIA, State does most of its business over an unclassified email system, and many officials do not have easy access to a classified messaging system.

State Department spokesman John Kirby said that the State Department is "focused on and committed to releasing former Secretary Clinton's emails in a manner that protects sensitive information. No one takes this more seriously than we do. We have said repeatedly that we anticipate more upgrades throughout our release process. Our FOIA review process is still ongoing. Once that process is complete, if it is determined that information should be classified as Top Secret we will do so."‎

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hillary-clinton-emails-contained-info-above-top-secret-ig-n499886?cid=sm_fb

This issue is going to dog Clinton right up to election day, isn't it? I'll be curious to see how her campaign responds to this news over the next few weeks - no doubt citing the aforementioned difficulties for state department personnel in finding protected messaging systems. Which will then beg the question, why did then-Secretary of State Clinton not spearhead an initiative to tighten up the State Department's security?

Clinton's record is a long way from being whiter than white, and this issue dogging her campaign has got to hurt her electoral chances. That might prove useful to her rival, Senator Sanders, who could use it to undermine trust in her in the African American and Latino voting blocs before the crucial southern primaries. The Clintons have deep ties across the south, and have been wooing Latinos in the west for months - this might be a wedgey enough issue to help Sanders shift the balance.

Clinton needs to work hard to smooth this issue over with voters, but like damp, it's probably just going to keep coming back.

Could this news prompt the initiation of criminal proceedings against Clinton?

3 hours ago, Patticus said:

Interesting news:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hillary-clinton-emails-contained-info-above-top-secret-ig-n499886?cid=sm_fb

This issue is going to dog Clinton right up to election day, isn't it? I'll be curious to see how her campaign responds to this news over the next few weeks - no doubt citing the aforementioned difficulties for state department personnel in finding protected messaging systems. Which will then beg the question, why did then-Secretary of State Clinton not spearhead an initiative to tighten up the State Department's security?

Clinton's record is a long way from being whiter than white, and this issue dogging her campaign has got to hurt her electoral chances. That might prove useful to her rival, Senator Sanders, who could use it to undermine trust in her in the African American and Latino voting blocs before the crucial southern primaries. The Clintons have deep ties across the south, and have been wooing Latinos in the west for months - this might be a wedgey enough issue to help Sanders shift the balance.

Clinton needs to work hard to smooth this issue over with voters, but like damp, it's probably just going to keep coming back.

Could this news prompt the initiation of criminal proceedings against Clinton?

I'm not going to claim to have any understanding of politics, but why exactly is it a good thing for Sanders to use this as leverage against Clinton? I'm aware that Clinton is a shady individual, but isn't Party members turning against each other usually part of the reason why the party as a whole ends up not winning against their opponents? Granted the GOP doesn't really seem that much better off right now but IIRC them being united for the most part was part of the reason they manage to get shit through.

7 hours ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

I'm not going to claim to have any understanding of politics, but why exactly is it a good thing for Sanders to use this as leverage against Clinton? I'm aware that Clinton is a shady individual, but isn't Party members turning against each other usually part of the reason why the party as a whole ends up not winning against their opponents? Granted the GOP doesn't really seem that much better off right now but IIRC them being united for the most part was part of the reason they manage to get shit through.

If he's going to win any of the southern primaries, he's going to need something to knock Clinton off her perch down there - and as a southern Democrat, she has deep roots across the region, a lot of loyalty. New Hampshire and Iowa would be great to have, sure, but without the south he's going nowhere, and I don't see any possible way for him to win there right now, except maybe through exploiting this scandal.

The GOP has long been adept at exploiting Democratic weakness though, and Sanders hasn't paid much attention to issues like her emails except mentioning them in passing en route to social policies, so I doubt he'll exploit them like the Republicans inevitably will.

Is the rapper Killer Mike influential in any circles? He seems to be all up for Sanders, after having sat down for breakfast with him some months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

You know... Hilary might end up losing before they even get out of primaries again. Gonna be closer than it was against Obama regardless, but damn.

Cruz won Iowa, eh? That's a somewhat scary thought - he's the only one of the bunch I'd genuinely fear winning, given that he's the only True Believer of the lot. What a maniac. 

For those interested: Trump was nudged into second place (I can't wait to hear him spin that), and Rubio shocked everyone by climbing his way into third place. He's just that thirsty for your votes.

Good news, everyone! Mike Huckabee has decided it's high time he fucked off once again.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/01/politics/mike-huckabee-drops-out-of-2016-presidential-race/index.html?sr=fbcnni020216mike-huckabee-drops-out-of-2016-presidential-race0349AMVODtopLink&linkId=20883957

Buh-bye!

• Thumbs Up 3

Felt I should point something out:

On 1/21/2016 at 6:53 AM, Patticus said:

If he's going to win any of the southern primaries, he's going to need something to knock Clinton off her perch down there - and as a southern Democrat, she has deep roots across the region, a lot of loyalty.

Let's be clear here: Bill was the Southern Democrat, the good ol' boy from Arkansas, running with the good ol' boy from Tennessee, after a very successful local (and very moderate) political tenures for both of them. Bill was the one that all those groups made unofficial campaign paraphernalia with Confederate flags and such on them that raised a minor ruckus last year when they were found. Bill (and, to be fair, Gore very much so as well) was the one who turned key Republican states into swing states that leaned his way in both of his elections.

Hilary was the first lady originally from Chicago who used all of the political connections living in the White House granted her to run for the Senate representing New York, before taking a key role in the Presidency from someone else from Chicago. She's about as much of a Southern Democrat as Bush was a Texan, but I'm somewhat doubtful people will buy into the former the way they did the latter; and if she makes it to the actual voting she's not going to get any of the Southern states any more than Obama or Kerry before him did.

5 hours ago, Tornado said:

Felt I should point something out:

Let's be clear here: Bill was the Southern Democrat, the good ol' boy from Arkansas, running with the good ol' boy from Tennessee, after a very successful local (and very moderate) political tenures for both of them. Bill was the one that all those groups made unofficial campaign paraphernalia with Confederate flags and such on them that raised a minor ruckus last year when they were found. Bill (and, to be fair, Gore very much so as well) was the one who turned key Republican states into swing states that leaned his way in both of his elections.

Hilary was the first lady originally from Chicago who used all of the political connections living in the White House granted her to run for the Senate representing New York, before taking a key role in the Presidency from someone else from Chicago. She's about as much of a Southern Democrat as Bush was a Texan, but I'm somewhat doubtful people will buy into the former the way they did the latter; and if she makes it to the actual voting she's not going to get any of the Southern states any more than Obama or Kerry before him did.

Fair points all. However, it's undeniable that, via Bill, the Clintons have garnered a lot of connections and good will across the southern states' Democratic scenes, and her campaign has been working for months to build what they term a "firewall" to prevent the Sanders campaign from going big down south. Regardless of who done it, she has a big advantage there.

Hillary being a far more conservative Democrat than Bernie, unless his campaign's momentum (which is evident in their statistical tie in the Iowa caucus - but may swing his way if allegations of voter fraud lead to a re-vote?) continues and rams up, he's never going to carry the more conservative Democratic primaries on the horizon.

O'Malley is out of the race. Iowa is virtually tied between Sanders and Clinton, with Clinton barely edging him out by less than a percentage point. And that means Iowa means bunk since it's not a winner-takes-all state.

8 hours ago, Candescence said:

O'Malley is out of the race. Iowa is virtually tied between Sanders and Clinton, with Clinton barely edging him out by less than a percentage point. And that means Iowa means bunk since it's not a winner-takes-all state.

It's a pretty decent trial by fire for every campaign's ground game, though.

So apparently the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) was signed in Auckland http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35480600 http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/04/tpp-signing-andrew-robb-rejects-calls-for-cost-benefit-analysis-of-trade-deal Goddamnit, are people really so shortsighted as to sell away every generation after them for the sake of lining their own pockets? Oh wait, I forget these are corporate-owned politicians who can't think of anything outside of themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rand Paul and Rick Santorum have both dropped out of the race.

The latter will not be missed. He's a certifiable crazy.

The former, however, despite his lies about vaccines causing mental disorders, and bullshit about universal healthcare "enslaving" doctors (among other pieces of dubious wisdom he has spouted), was easily the most sane of the GOP's candidates. That he has had to drop out is a sad indictment of the state of the modern GOP, where extremism is the kingmaker, and you have to take leave of your senses to win voters' approval.

I used to think Kasich was the most reasonable candidate they had, until he pronounced himself "prince of light and hope" and pledged to reunite Pink Floyd. Oh dear.

It would have been interesting to see what kind of candidates Paul and Kasich might have made, if they didn't have to appeal to the wingnuts calling the shots in their party.

Anyway, I suppose it does give the Democrats a more favorable outlook for November, though.

Gee, it sure got quiet in here since the NH primary. Updates:

Trump won his GOP primary, as predicted. His first election victory, no doubt scaring the shit out of the Republican establishment, which must have been hoping that the big rally crowds would evaporate when it came to polling day proper. Not so. Kasich came second, his strategy of focusing on NH reviving his nearly dead campaign hopes at the last moment. Rubio, Cruz and Jeb tied for third. Jeb has spent over $100m for that position, proving that money alone can't win votes. If Rubio repeats his poor performance in the next debate, his once-promising campaign could be over, thanks to Chris Christie's epic takedown in the last one.

Sanders also won, as predicted, but by a much higher margin (21-22%) than anyone had predicted. It gives his campaign real momentum, moving forward to Nevada (Feb 20th), South Carolina (Feb 27th) and Super Tuesday in early March. The Clinton campaign has been operating heavily in SC for many months now, and her husband is still very popular, so she has the advantage going into that race; however, if the Rev. Al Sharpton (whom Sanders had breakfast with today) plumps for Sanders, his influence could turn South Carolina into the next Iowa. Nevada could well be nail bitingly close, too.

Fiorina and Christie have just dropped out of the race, and Carson is already talking up being a VP pick. The GOP field is still very crowded though, and will probably be winnowed down by Super Tuesday.

Fucking Christ, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd think Bernie fucking Sanders is the sane alternative here. I mean, seriously GOP? Donald fucking Trump? What in the fuck is wrong with you?

You know what? Sad thing is, I know exactly what it is. Conservatives are angry. They're angry at the lack of strong leadership in the GOP. So they see the rambling madman on stage and sympathize with him, not because they even actually agree with him, but because they're mad and he's mad too, so why the fuck not? Nevermind that this is basically how Hitler got into power, nope let's fucking repeat history here.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm just going to write in gag candidates on the ballots. Neither of these shit for brain assholes are worth my vote. It's either I vote libertarian, or I sign in Vermin Supreme or some bullshit. Fuck that racist, bigoted asshat Trump and fuck that slimy, greasy backslider Sanders. We're getting another 8 years of liberal rule with a GOP that's almost completely fucking ineffectual and completely lost from what it stood for.

Bye bye, South Carolina. Bye bye, Nevada.

The Congressional Black Caucus PAC will endorse Hillary Clinton on Thursday and help her campaign win over minority voters in upcoming primary contests, NBC News has confirmed.

Clinton already has a strong advantage over rival Bernie Sanders among black voters, and the CBC endorsement could help her solidify that support in states where the voting group plays a key role, like in the upcoming South Carolina Democratic primary.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/congressional-black-caucus-endorse-clinton?cid=sm_fb_msnbc

Didn't Hillary once support the drug war and still supports mandatory minimums, which both disproportionately effect minorities?

Jay Carney, former White House Press Secretary, has come out saying that Obama supports Hillary's candidacy:

"I don't think there is any doubt that he wants Hillary to win the nomination and believes that she would be the best candidate in the fall and the most effective as president in carrying forward what he's achieved," said Carney, a CNN contributor.

The White House declined to comment on Carney's comments Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/10/politics/jay-carney-president-obama-supports-hillary-clinton/index.html?sr=fbpol021016jay-carney-president-obama-supports-hillary-clinton0944PMStoryLink&linkId=21166026

This is huge! You think the budget and debt ceiling fights are bad? The next Supreme Court justice confirmation is going to be a battle of epic proportions. Since this is election season, both sides are going to tout how important it is that they win in order to shape up the Supreme Court.

Mitch McConnell and the raft of GOP candidates are calling for the nomination to be saved for the next president. Can they leave the country without a supreme court justice for a year?

I hope the Democrats bring all their weight to bear in ensuring that the sitting president, lame duck or no, gets to pick the replacement for the justice who died a year before he leaves office.

6 minutes ago, Patticus said:

Mitch McConnell and the raft of GOP candidates are calling for the nomination to be saved for the next president. Can they leave the country without a supreme court justice for a year?

AKA Save the spot for our cronies so we can further set America back into a corporate owned white Christian ultra conservative anti-gay anti-women anti Muslim/minorities in general fascist States of America.

Just now, SenEDtor Missile said:

AKA Save the spot for our cronies so we can further set America back into a corporate owned white Christian ultra conservative anti-gay anti-women anti Muslim/minorities in general fascist States of America.

Precisely. Can they do it, though? A year long filibuster?

Just now, Patticus said:

Precisely. Can they do it, though? A year long filibuster?

They'll definitely try, but I can see cases being VERY difficult to complete with only 8 justices. They'd have to find some way to break ties.

So right now, Obama and all his advisers are holed up wherever they are, strategizing and trying to work out how to outwit the GOP leadership, which seems to have a year-long battle in store. I hope they come up with something good, because this is looking like it's going to get nasty, fast.

I mean, a supreme court justice, a controversial one and darling of the nation's conservatives, dying in an election year, when perhaps the last signature piece of legislation of the incumbent president is going to be saved/killed by the SCOTUS? It's going to color the entire year's campaigning and make it very, very messy. Every candidate's going to come out for or against letting Obama have his constitutional right to choose a successor, and we'll see lots of names floated too I'll bet, and it's just going to be a big damn mess.

Edit: Republican debate tonight. Lots of questions dodged with answers to questions that were never asked, and more than one round of Trump vs Jeb exchanges like this:

Rubio did well only because the entire affair was rigged so his question/response sections were always right before an ad break, leaving no time to be challenged by anybody.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno about you guys, but I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to the run up to the election. This is the first, maybe second video I've watched on it at all, and I just wanted to say it feels so cathartic to see Trump booed by a live audience. I think I really needed that in my week. XD

• Thumbs Up 1