Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

So...

Can we agree weapons/guns are fine in Sonic now?

Weird, the OC thing is using the same kinda thing in Forces.

Edit

Forces is f@%ed.

• Thumbs Up 1

They weren't a problem, no, but they still don't really fit Sonic's general style. Gun-play would still be slow and pace breaking for Sonic.

I don't see how a shooting mechanic would make Sonic more fun at all, personally. Even if we were to agree to "cartoony looking" guns.

Also, that game's a cross over. Status quos are bound to be shaken up and out of the norm for both series which is a whole different context for Sonic here.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They weren't a problem, no, but they still don't really fit Sonic's general style. Gun-play would still be slow and pace breaking for Sonic.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't see how a shooting mechanic would make Sonic more fun at all, personally. Even if we were to agree to "cartoony looking" guns.

I mean I wouldn't want Sonic himself to have any kind of gun, but "a gun" is just the aesthetic presentation of a projectile attack, and I wouldn't count out projectile attacks entirely in a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 8

I've always been fine with the idea of Sonic characters having a projectile attack. Doesn't even have to be a gun specifically, Tails' arm cannon from Sonic Battle is something that can be implemented good. Something to use when flying, because he's most vulnerable there or other stuff.

The biggest hurdle when it comes to guns (or well, projectiles in general, to use Dio's words here) in a Sonic game is aiming. We've all seen how it worked in ShTH - it's borderline impossible to hit something on the move without spraying and praying (which you don't want to do in ShTH because most weapons only contain 20 shots per pickup, and only the most basic enemies go down in one shot), which usually means coming to a near-complete stop to maintain some semblance of accuracy. Which naturally, means unavoidable breaks in flow, which in turn goes against even the most basic principles of Sonic game design.

Original the Character mitigates this problem somewhat by using a flamethrower, which is by definition a spray and pray weapon. Putting aside that's not the only weapon type, though (Wisps switch his weapon, don't they? Correct me if I'm wrong), this brings us to another question: what exactly does this accomplish in the name of flow? Unless there are enemies that are such a such an obstacle that slowing down and wiping them is actually faster than trying to rush past them, why would I not... just rush past them? It feels to me like they would've been better off scrapping the arm cannon completely and just using the grapple hook as some kind of pseudo homing attack, because at least that way you'd still be beating up enemies without compromising on speed in the process.

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Realistic guns? No. Silly/cartoony/certain kinds of sci-fi guns? Weren't really a problem in the first place.

Really I wouldn't had mind if SHTH had those types of guns anyways, especially if they had more omochao type guns, that was really fun to use.

5 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Unless there are enemies that are such a such an obstacle that slowing down and wiping them is actually faster than trying to rush past them, why would I not... just rush past them? It feels to me like they would've been better off scrapping the arm cannon completely and just using the grapple hook as some kind of pseudo homing attack, because at least that way you'd still be beating up enemies without compromising on speed in the process.

Well, the CaC was seen using a homing attack in that footage we got, so it does seem to give you a bit of flexibility in how you want to progress past enemies. Even sans boost, it probably does work out to be a bit faster to flamethrower your way through larger groups of robots, rather than picking them off one at a time.

It doesn't do any favors for the flow of the stage, but it does get you back to traversing a level quicker, so it might come out in the wash over the long haul.

That being said, the burst wisp was one of the more... OP wisp powers. It could fly and nuke everything it touched. If you don't have access to that flamethrower, then all this speculation goes out the window. We'll be back to the basic homing attack and whatever other wisp power you'll have nearby. That could be good, or bad depending on how those other wisps affect the utility of the Wispon.

I can easily see a Void wisp making a return, and changing your handy do-dad into a Kirby clone capable of devouring all robotic life. God help us if they bring back the Bomb wisp. Then you can make your favorite OC run around with a grenade launcher. Not much need to aim that sucker.

8 hours ago, Sonicfan7 said:

I'm going to make The Simpson's Sonic.

marge-be-not-proud-2.png

Should be doable. The key things are going to be the purple fur and the black shoes, both of which should be easy to find in the character creators options.

The tricky part will be getting that early 90s Sega of America style 'mohawk spikes', that the Simpsons went and copied when they made this recolour. Which will be interesting to see if the OC hedgehogs in Sonic Forces have variations on how their back spines are arranged.

I'm just gonna throw this out there for the sake of discussion. It might all be nothing (and probably is) but eh... I can't shake it out of my head for some reason.

We might have to revisit a certain tumblr post from Sonic the Hedgehog. This one in particular
http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/159156331083/choose-wisely

In the image associated with that meme, they showed off a certain set of characters, Sonic, Amy, Knuckles, the Chaotix, Big, Shadow, Eggman, a fanart (Coldsteel I believe), and ???.

We've already known from preview articles that Sonic receives help (via radio and cutscenes) from Amy, the Chaotix, and Knuckles, and Eggman has conquered 90% of the world. Since then, we've also learned that custom characters, or "fanart", is also a thing in this game. Is this image hinting at Big and Shadow making some kind of appearance in the game as well? And will Eggman be hijacked by an even more powerful villain, hence the ??? (Eggman being hijacked by a more powerful villain someway somehow isn't anything new for the series).

Just throwing this out there for conversational purposes. Something at least kinda sorta tangible, y'know?

tumblr_onufelrXyr1u5cb23o1_500.png

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, GUN Commander said:

I'm just gonna throw this out there for the sake of discussion. It might all be nothing (and probably is) but eh... I can't shake it out of my head for some reason.

We might have to revisit a certain tumblr post from Sonic the Hedgehog. This one in particular

In the image associated with that meme, they showed off a certain set of characters, Sonic, Amy, Knuckles, the Chaotix, Big, Shadow, Eggman, a fanart (Coldsteel I believe), and ???.

We've already known from preview articles that Sonic receives help (via radio and cutscenes) from Amy, the Chaotix, and Knuckles, and Eggman has conquered 90% of the world. Since then, we've also learned that custom characters, or "fanart", is also a thing in this game. Is this image hinting at Big and Shadow making some kind of appearance in the game as well? And will Eggman be hijacked by an even more powerful villain, hence the ??? (Eggman being hijacked by a more powerful villain someway somehow isn't anything new for the series).

Just throwing this out there for conversational purposes. Something at least kinda sorta tangible, y'know?

I find it funny that Coldsteel took Shadow's spot for Edgey Evil

I know this is overused by this point but...

Spoiler

Nothin' Personnel... Knux...

Wait a minute...

Characters confirmed for Forces: Sonic, Eggman, Amy, Chaotix, Coldsteel (meaning OC's), & Knuckles

Does this mean that Forces is also getting the most important Sonic character of all?

Spoiler

latest?cb=20150817112525

Oh, and Shadow, too, I guess. Is he still a thing?

• Thumbs Up 9

Aaron, where are you? Please give us more hints! 

Why you are on Sonic STADIUM huh

58 minutes ago, GUN Commander said:

Wait a second.

...Where's Tails?

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Writer's Blah said:

Wait a second.

...Where's Tails?

dead

JK, according to Larry, he gave up.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

tails had better not be the actual villain in this game i swear to god

Larry said that Tails will return when Sonic is saved...

• Thumbs Up 1