Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy (2017)

Ryannumber1gamer

I'm having a blast so far and I've just beat Papu Papu ? Controls great, looks GORGEOUS and sounds awesome too. SO GOOD.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

>crystals are called power stones

...why? Did they fear Square-Enix would have sued?
Also, they didn't even tried with the lip-syncing.

crystals being power stones was a common localization change in crash games over there.

Nooo man! Your journey is nearly over already :( I think I might turn off the game for a bit, I wanna enjoy this veeeeery slowly ? Just beat The Lost City, couldn't get the green gem because I died a few times... I'm getting the hang of this "new" jump. The trick is to always think you can make that jump, so don't let the X button untill you land. These jumps are really precise and you can chain one after another without a second of delay. The air control is also much more forgiving. Controlling Crash in 3D using the D-Pad is somewhat easier than with the analog stick, go figure xD

KAY I'M GONNA BEAT JUST ONE OR TOO MORE LEVELS I SWEAR.

Wow it feels like im a 7 years old again. The game is great almost. The music is not as bad as i thought though some of the old tracks just had more UMF into them. The main gripe I have so far is that the jump is shit. Compared to the old games its just shit. Honestly I have maybe died 15 times alone from jumps I used to make in the old games not working in the new. Its like crash has some sort of gravity shoes on. Also the few second delay with the body slam is a tad annoying. Also annoying that some areas in crash 2 can not be cheesed anymore. Such as the gopher pits. You used to be able to chip the corners of the pit to bypass it. Not anymore sadly. Besides that I am enjoying the games. Just those things are sort of just bugging issues just a little. Atm both crash 1 and 2 together get a 8. have not touched 3 yet.

This game is just a huge blast to the past! It's so much fun!

And I love the way how they made Coco Bandicoot a very big part of the game. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thought I'd upload my playthrough of when I eventually beat Slippery Climb and got the Red Gem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha, now imagine that in the 90's where you had to beat all the 30 levels without dying :D Kids these days :P 

So, yesterday I've played up to Sunset Vista, put the game down, took a deep breath, watched some Gotham aaaaand... went nighty-nighty.
My impressions so far. Let's start with the easy one: this game IS GORGEOUS. It's colorful, smooth and incredibly detailed. There's no stretched or low res/blured textures, everything is sharp. On top of that, Crash is beautifully animated, so is Coco, if not more. Even the menus are super animated and fun. Tho' some enemies are a lil bit stiff, like the lizards in The Lost City.  Oh, and Vicarious Visions did took note of the complaints about ruins not looking aged and gritty. They do now, most of it. So far, I don't think any level has lost its atmosphere and feeling due to the graphical advance. Upstream / Up the Creek are probably my favorite looking levels so far. Temple Ruins and Road to Nowhere look as dark, misterious and gritty as ever. The Lost City could still have more saturated colors tho'. But yeah, everything looks amazing 99% of the time, front and back.

Too bad the same can't be said about the music. These 3 levels I've mentioned last, did lost some atmosphere because of the new remix (Road to Nowhere especially, I've played the level a second time listening to the original music and it feels better). The total lack of samples and change of instruments make a difference. They're not bad remixes... just bland. They're not as deep and strong as the original. On the other hand, some remixes are spot on, like N. Sanity Beach, Jungle Rollers, The Great Gate, Upstream... The first 5 levels all sound great, same goes to Papu's theme. They really tried to be as close to the original as possible. Except for Boulders, the new instruments made it feels more like a "funny run away" than a "DEATH BOULDER IS AFTER ME, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, *CRUSHED*". I outright disliked one music, and that is Ripper Roo's theme. It's lackbuster.

Now, the hard part: the controls. This sure does not controls like OG Crash, nor OG Crash 2 or 3. It is close to OG Crash 2, but slower. Jumps are precise and responsive, but sometimes they don't carry you further enough... and sometimes further than what you wanted. Thankfully, air control can save you from miss calculated small jumps. For longer jumps, I think we more than anyone have a head start, because we play classic Sonic games. When playing classic Sonic, you will be more often than not holding down the jump button untill you land on something, in order to bounce higher and make those awesome chains. Apply this same logic to Crash. Don't let go the jump button untill you land. Always think you can make that jump. If you falter, you will die. Don't be scared, just jump. That's my trick. As for moving Crash around, I think it feels great, and funilly enough, I find it better to move Crash with the D-Pad, even in 3D. Old habits die hard.

TL;DR.
The game is a treat to Crash fans, only we know how much we've waited for this. If you like platformers, give it a go, you will love it, there's nothing unplayably wrong with the controls, I say it's harder to get used to the OG Crash than this. It's a beautiful looking game, and most certainly a nice break from those busy cities and world war battlefields we're so used to these days...

And I'm just finishing my breakfast, gonna go back to the game shortly! Sunset Vista you're next!

This is pretty fun. I got the Green Gem just a second ago.

Kind of annoys me that there's no actual restart though, as the loading times are a bit rough.

I beat Sunset Vista and only died three times (!), one being on purpose (missed the Cortex's token). This level has MUCH more saturation and orange tones than The Lost City, which is great, no level looks exactly the same ? I went back and beat The Lost City as Coco and got the Green Gem, my palms got all sweaty! Missed that feeling hahaha ? I'm having a great time... Missed ya Crash. I'm so happy.

2 hours ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

This is pretty fun. I got the Green Gem just a second ago.

Kind of annoys me that there's no actual restart though, as the loading times are a bit rough.

Fun fact. Load times are 40 seconds, including the times to make you go through the death animation, reload the checkpoint, show the life counter (it won't let you quit til the life counter goes), quit to map, and then reload the level.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Fun fact. Load times are 40 seconds, including the times to make you go through the death animation, reload the checkpoint, show the life counter (it won't let you quit til the life counter goes), quit to map, and then reload the level.

Sheesh. That's pretty bad.

On a different note, I have 99 lives now. I wasn't even grinding or anything, I just... Have that many. Apparently it's a Gold Trophy, so that's cool.

Also I got a Platinum Relic on Jungle Rollers on my first try. Weird since I can barely get a Blue on the very first stage.

I got the Yellow Gem in Generator Room, loved the new version BTW, on my first try, holy shit. Same with Toxic Waste. I died a lot in The High Road, they've overlooked the turtle's bouncing physics... Anyways, you know what's next to The High Road... That's right. Slippery effin' Climb!

You can reach a hundred lifes now?! o.O Althought the counter only changed to 100 when I got to The Great Hall with all Gems. Saw the extra ending, it's so nice! They even kept the "what happened to the characters after the game?" part. Now I'm gonna fight Cortex and 100%'d Crash 1! ?

My Crash 3 progress:

DDrqBC-XkAE-mZp.jpg

I'm gonna shock you guys and say something nice about Crash 3. Yep, from me-the guy who considers Warped the worst of the original trilogy.

Quite honestly Crash 3 as impressed me the most so far out of the N-Sane trilogy. The controls feel slightly tighter like in the original Crash 2 which is so much better. The swimming, jet-ski and tiger riding all handle well, apart from the bike riding which hasn't improved over the original. Crash 3 has definitely benefited from the improved visuals and looks the best out of the three games in my opinion. The bosses are very easy. The N-Gin boss usually a protracted fight in the original game; was very easy in the N-Sane version.

I'm definitely gonna try and get the plat trophy for Warped.

• Thumbs Up 1

I admit to never having played the original versions. But I bought the N. Sane Trilogy from Walmart last night after a night of being real busy.

And my thoughts so far? It's very fun. Though honestly, Crash 1 really is harder than I anticipated. I knew of its repuaptation going in, but I arrogantly thought "it doesn't look that hard!" Well, it is. And I died. A lot. And based on what I heard of the save system in the PS1 release...I'm kinda glad I held off on this one.

Graphics are great. No doubt about that. They did a great job with this so called "remaster" here. Just looking at the comparisons, you can tell Vicarious Visions wanted to do right by Naughty Dog's work.

My thumb seems to like alternaring between the D-pad and the analog stick. I have no idea why, but I think they complement each other, at least.

Have yet to try Crash 2 or 3. But honestly, it's a series I had some curiosity for, but I question why I never gave it a shot earlier. I may try some of the later entries at some point.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've finished Crash Bandicoot 100%, with 11 relics so far, 8 plats and 3 gold. I totally got the hang of the physics now. They're incredibly responsive, this becomes clear when doing time trials, which requires you to perform jump after jump without a second of delay after touching the ground. If anything, the spin attack has some delay, but not always. I feel like its range could be wider too. Overhall, this plays great, a vast improvement upon the originals. I'm absolutely in love with it.

And again, I cannot stop praising this game's graphics, they're amazing.

Finally, the remixes. They're all good, most of them are as good as the original, with a few exceptions being worse (in my opinion at least) and some actually better than the originals, like Toxic Waste, N. Brio and Cortex's themes, and YES, Slippery Climb. I'm biased because I love jazz, and they've jazzified this song (it kinda has a Scooby Doo feeling too).

And now I wonder, when the DLC will become available? And it will be free or paid? Did someone already found Stormy Ascent in the game's files?

Crash 3 controls the best. But only slightly. Overall a great bundle. Though the jump is still shit. Thankfully some on ps Twitter agree.  some remixes are just bad.

Done 80% of Crash 3 so far.

DDtzhm2XkAIMnsN.jpg

Getting the gem in bike stage; Orange Asphalt is tricky. Maneuvering the bike when hitting the boost pads is difficult (feels worse than the original). Makes it easy to miss boxes.