Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

New Pokemon info

dartrix.png

Dartrix

CATEGORY:Blade Quill Pokémon

TYPE:Grass/Flying

HEIGHT: 2′04″

WEIGHT: 35.3 lbs.

ABILITY: Overgrow

Dartrix is extremely sensitive to other presences in the area and can detect opponents behind it and throw feathers to strike them without even seeing them. This Pokémon conceals sharp-bladed feathers inside its wings, showing astounding precision as it sends them flying in attack. And it goes beyond propelling its blade quills in simple straight lines—it can even bend these feathers to change their trajectories!

Revealing a certain snobbiness in its personality, Dartrix cares a great deal about its appearance, grooming its feathers in every spare moment. In truth, it’s also a bit of a birdbrain, with a tendency to bungle things up. Once it makes a mistake, it sometimes gets into a desperate struggle to gloss over the situation and ends up making a bigger mess than ever.

At times, this Pokémon feels so bothered by its dirty or ruffled feathers that it can’t focus on battle. When it loses its focus, it sometimes even retires from the battle on the spot! It’s up to each Trainer to help Dartrix overcome this troublesome stage. If this Pokémon is with a Trainer who helps it through, its strength will grow hugely!

torracat.png

Torracat

CATEGORY: Fire Cat Pokémon

TYPE: Fire

HEIGHT: 2′04″

WEIGHT: 55.1 lbs.

ABILITY: Blaze

The bell-like object attached at the base of Torracat’s neck is a flame sac, an organ that can produce flames. Torracat’s emotions cause a rise in the organ’s temperature, and when the organ spits flames, it rings with the high, clear sound of a bell. Torracat attacks using the flames emitted from this bell.

Torracat’s mane serves as an excellent sensory organ, and it can sense what’s going on around it—even in the dark! It can also detect the presence of hidden enemies.

Torracat has a great love for battle and will attack so relentlessly that its opponents lose the will to fight. And yet it sometimes behaves like spoiled child in front of Trainers or Pokémon with whom it has built a relationship of trust.

The cat punch that this Pokémon can dish out with its strong forelegs is extremely powerful. It can bend iron bars and knock out large men with a single blow!

brionne.png

Brionne

CATEGORY: Pop Star Pokémon

TYPE: Water

HEIGHT: 2′00″

WEIGHT: 38.6 lbs.

ABILITY: Torrent

Brionne learns its dances by imitating the other members of its colony. It sometimes even learns dances from humans. This Pokémon is a hard worker and pours itself into its efforts until it has memorized each dance. As it dances, Brionne creates balloon after balloon. In battle, it first sends its opponent into disarray with its dancing, and then slaps its balloons into its target, causing the balloons to explode and deal damage.

Brionne can dance in perfect time with others, even if they have only just met. On moonlit nights, you can sometimes see throngs of Brionne dancing as one, in perfect fluidity.

Brionne always acts cheery and positive. Even when it’s feeling sad, this Pokémon doesn’t allow its sorrow to show. It’s said that Brionne will only reveal a sad expression to a Pokémon or Trainer to whom it has opened its heart completely.

Ash-Greninja

CATEGORY: Ninja Pokémon

TYPE: Water/Dark

HEIGHT: 4'11"

WEIGHT: 88.2 lbs.

ABILITY: Battle Bond

ashgreninja.png

Ash-Greninja has powered up thanks to the strength of its bonds with Ash. This is the form Greninja takes when it has gained new power due to the miraculous occurrence known as the bond phenomenon. This can be brought on by the bonds between people and Pokémon. It seems that it has only known to have occurred once—several hundred years ago.

Ash-Greninja's leg strength has been enhanced compared to an ordinary Greninja, making it difficult to see because of the speed at which it can move. It takes its enemies out in a flash! It becomes able to make giant Water Shurikens on its back, and it can throw them in rapid succession.

Greninja that can become Ash-Greninja have an Ability that no Pokémon has ever had before—Battle Bond. The Battle Bond Ability triggers this Pokémon’s form change to Ash-Greninja after it causes an opponent’s Pokémon to faint. When the battle ends, the Pokémon returns to its original Greninja form. This form is only for battles where it needs to break the limits!

Outta the three...yeah Torracat is the most boring. Personally unless its final evo is a Fire/Dark pro wrestling cat then I'm siding with the other two

Mid-Starters look cool and definitely still going with Litten. I love that Torracat's flame sac looks like a collar bell. XD

Also, SCREW YOU ASH, I'M TAKING ASH-GRENINJA WITH ME TO ALOLA

9 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Really? That one seemed by far the most boring, to me. Fancy owl, fancy seal...slightly larger cat. :/

If by fancy you mean a mess, sure; the shape, color palette/shade and distribution of said colors of both Dartrix and Brionne are odd to say the least (and not even in a good way, like, say, Mudkip to Marshtomp or Chespin to Quilladin), while Torracat stay consistant to its previous form's design while adding still new gimmics (the fire collar-bell thinghy).

1 minute ago, Dark Moon CC14 said:

Mid-Starters look cool and definitely still going with Litten. I love that Torracat's flame sac looks like a collar bell. XD

Just don't use Ash-Greninja in those games Legaue variant and you'll be ok

7 minutes ago, Dark Moon CC14 said:

Considering the next anime series' main objective is to promote the games and all the features that it encompasses, maybe a return from Ash-Greninja isn't totally off the cards.  Now I'm not saying it's likely, buy you know what, a guy can dream.

13 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

So far as I know, Yellow's been the only title till now to do any anime referencing.  With S&M, I think they've gone even further now, considering this is (I think?) the first time "Ash" has ever been mentioned in any context.

Ash / Satoshi was one of the default names in the Gen 1 games even before Yellow, if that counts, though I guess it could've been the anime taking after the games rather than the other way around. (Plus, before Gen 2, Game Freak referred to Red as Satoshi at least once.....which I kinda wish they had stuck with since "Red" kinda sticks out from all the other names from Gen 3 and onward, lol. Even the Gen II protag got officially named in the remakes. But I digress.)

I'm fine with all the starters' second stages, but the Rowlet line is still the one for me. We'll see how it turns out, especially if they do in fact have branching evolutions.

And hey, Mega Evolution! Curious to see what new Megas we'll see, since I highly doubt it'll only be the ones Gen 6 introduced.

• Thumbs Up 2

So does Ash exist in the game's canon, then? I'm super stoked that Ash-Greninja is in this, BTW.

I love the Evolutions too. Litten is simple but cute, Rowlet's is basically Edgeworth, and Popplio's actually looks cute now.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

And hey, Mega Evolution! Curious to see what new Megas we'll see, since I highly doubt it'll only be the ones Gen 6 introduced.

Yes ^_^  In trying to guess whether there would only be new Mega Pokemon in the theoretical third ("Eclipse" etc) game of this generation, or, some in Sun and Moon themselves and then some new ones in the third game, it feels less likely that there would be no new Megas in Sun and Moon. 

With all of the unique new experiences in the main game, Totem Pokemon, Kahunas, Aether foundation unusual Pokemon and Ultra Beasts, it is hard to tell whether Mega Evolution will be accessible before a post game or not, if they would make any of those less challenging, but would be beneficially matching the level of challenge in the post game!

^^ Then, it may also be that there will actually be Sun 2 / Moon 2; while it would be possible to make Diamond/Pearl remakes with this current engine, it seems like that might occur with the next new engine.  There is some logic behind new Mega Pokemon being postponed until Sun and Moon sequel games.  

DPPt also included characters that appeared in the AG movies. Diane and Butler appear in Route 229 with the four Pokemon Butler uses in Jirachi: Wishmaker, while the Metagross trainer from Destiny Deoxys, Rebecca, appears in Route 224, the peninsula jetting off from Victory Road.

And in HGSS, Togepi has a unique line of text, never seen in-game with other Pokemon or with Togepi again, displaying sadness if it is spoken to in and only in Cerulean City's Gym, a clear reference to Misty's Togepi.

Anime cross-canon references is not unheard of. Not totally surprised to see Ash-Greninja here.

• Thumbs Up 3

The mid evos look cool but I'm not too fond of mid evolutions since they just don't look complete which is probably the point.

Spoiler

This honestly confirms the existence of the final evos. I noticed it instantly.

The biggest thing is that Torracat is now using a bell to shoot out its flames. Beltigre has been shown doing the same thing with its belt. The fact the site says that Torracat likes battling and can bend iron bars is another big indicator towards it.

Dartrix is slightly more tricky because it doesn't look like Robinroot (which I honestly hope they change its name) but its starting to get Robinroot's color scheme and its hair looks like it becomes the hoodie part of Robinroot. But the thing I've noticed is that the Rowlet line so far has been known with shooting its feathers around like arrows and Dartrix confirms it has sharp feathers hidden much like how Robinroot does too, its just subtle with the latter's design. The pose Dartrix is also very similar to Robinroot's in the concept art.

And finally Brionne. Do I really need to talk about this one? Similar feminine design and they have something to do with the arts (dancing and singing potentially). Yeah I think its confirmed at this point.

Megas are back and they hyped them up which is great.

Oh and Ash-Greninja? Ok then.

In Japan they gave out Ash's Pikachu, Iris Axew, Cilan's Pansage, Oak's Rotom and Alder's Volcarona between others in Gen V. If that's not anime reference enough then I don't know what is.

In regards about the games referencing the anime, have the event Shiny Beldum in your party and chat with Steven and he will mention how he battled Rayquaza with a trainer with a black Charizard.

Sounds familiar does it not? They mentioned Alain in all but name, with the events from the Mega specials where they really did battle a Rayquaza.

So yeah its not anything new. So Ash-Greninja is fine.

Hey, look! An Ice stone. I presume it's for Alolan Vulpix.

I wonder now, since both an Ice Stone and a Leaf Stone exists, will Eevee now use them to evolve into Glaceon and Leafeon.

• Thumbs Up 4

So this news makes me equal parts "OK, cool," and equal parts, "oh, fuck you." Mostly the latter.

Dartowl is the only starter that looks good to me, though Torracat is a nice update on Litten's design. Poppolio's evo (I honestly cannot be arsed to remember its name, I care that little about it) honestly looks like an unrelated seal Pokémon. I'm sorry, but it does. But this pisses me off, because this is a pretty good sign (if not a full-on confirmation) that the starter leaks are real. Meaning that Litten's final evo, which honestly looks like something someone drew as a "lel bipedal Fire/Fighting" joke is REAL.

The cat punch that this Pokémon can dish out with its strong forelegs is extremely powerful. It can bend iron bars and knock out large men with a single blow!

Yep... Fugly wrestler cat seems like a thing that will most definitely exist because no-one demanded it.

Nice to know Mega Evolution's not going anywhere, but the new EV raising areas seem off to me. Like, I'm praying that we're not getting those in place of the more convenient Super Training. And finally... Ash-Greninja? Really? We're trying to weld the shitty animé to this? We're trying to make Ash Ketchum, Age 10 canon? We're not even going to make it "Your Name Here-Greninja"? Oh god, please no. Keep this shit as far away from the good stuff as possible, I don't want the anime (and all the horrible, horrible things it did, has done, and is going to do) to become part of the Pokémon games' canon.

OK, I guess the fact that it's a demo-exclusive that'll probably suffer the same fate as the Spiky-Eared Pichu softens things up, but... yeah. First bit of S/M news that's more disappointment than hype.

I find interesting that all the mid stages seem to be tied with a negative personality trait. Dartrix is a snob who will flee battle at the chance that he might get dirty, Torracat is violent and spoiled and Brionne might be hiding his/her true feelings under a cheerful mask.

Is this the first time they are doing this? (probably not)

Will it tie to it's evolutions somehow?

Actually, the later makes me thing of something a dating sim would do, please ignore that.

2 hours ago, Ice Vec said:

In Japan they gave out Ash's Pikachu, Iris Axew, Cilan's Pansage, Oak's Rotom and Alder's Volcarona between others in Gen V. If that's not anime reference enough then I don't know what is.

'mons with specific nature and stats reflecting their power in the anime but with the same overall appearance as their normal counteprarts =/= 'mons with completly different physical appearance that appeared in the anime first and is officially named after the anime's protagonist

The former is more undestandable because it doesn't affect the game on a direct level, only meta-wise. It's literal roleplay using modified stats and natures, nothing more.

I'm still hoping for day/night evolutions for the starters, but these tie so well into the leaked evolutions that it's becoming more difficult to imagine a split. Litten's final evo doesn't appeal to me (mainly for the vest and belt on top of being humanoid) but I'm happy to go with Rowlet's archer, so it's more a desire for a new twist and variety than holding out for a new Litten. Cool middle evos though.

26 minutes ago, Spin Attaxx said:

And finally... Ash-Greninja? Really? We're trying to weld the shitty animé to this? We're trying to make Ash Ketchum, Age 10 canon? We're not even going to make it "Your Name Here-Greninja"? Oh god, please no. Keep this shit as far away from the good stuff as possible, I don't want the anime (and all the horrible, horrible things it did, has done, and is going to do) to become part of the Pokémon games' canon.

I'll make sure to name my Ash-Greninja after you :^)

You know, it's not like anime stuff in the games is anything new, as people have pointed out. I don't see why including this thing would ruin the game anyways. I didn't hate Sonic Generations because it had stages and music from Heroes and Colors. I understand that you don't like the anime, that's fine, but this isn't tainting the games or anything.

The starter evo leaks were confirmed the moment Mallow was revealed. She's in the picture with Litten's final evo way before she was officially announced.

5 minutes ago, Spin Attaxx said:

And finally... Ash-Greninja? Really? We're trying to weld the shitty animé to this? We're trying to make Ash Ketchum, Age 10 canon? We're not even going to make it "Your Name Here-Greninja"? Oh god, please no. Keep this shit as far away from the good stuff as possible, I don't want the anime (and all the horrible, horrible things it did, has done, and is going to do) to become part of the Pokémon games' canon.

It's just a fun bonus for fans of the show, Ash-Greninja in particular. Even if Ash himself appears in the demo to personally hand over Greninja to the player, I doubt it'd be a serious indication that the continuities have been combined or whatever. I haven't played the Gen 6 games, let alone the demos, but from what I gather they were separate from the main game.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Spin Attaxx said:

So this news makes me equal parts "OK, cool," and equal parts, "oh, fuck you." Mostly the latter.

Dartowl is the only starter that looks good to me, though Torracat is a nice update on Litten's design. Poppolio's evo (I honestly cannot be arsed to remember its name, I care that little about it) honestly looks like an unrelated seal Pokémon. I'm sorry, but it does. But this pisses me off, because this is a pretty good sign (if not a full-on confirmation) that the starter leaks are real. Meaning that Litten's final evo, which honestly looks like something someone drew as a "lel bipedal Fire/Fighting" joke is REAL.

Yep... Fugly wrestler cat seems like a thing that will most definitely exist because no-one demanded it.

Nice to know Mega Evolution's not going anywhere, but the new EV raising areas seem off to me. Like, I'm praying that we're not getting those in place of the more convenient Super Training. And finally... Ash-Greninja? Really? We're trying to weld the shitty animé to this? We're trying to make Ash Ketchum, Age 10 canon? We're not even going to make it "Your Name Here-Greninja"? Oh god, please no. Keep this shit as far away from the good stuff as possible, I don't want the anime (and all the horrible, horrible things it did, has done, and is going to do) to become part of the Pokémon games' canon.

OK, I guess the fact that it's a demo-exclusive that'll probably suffer the same fate as the Spiky-Eared Pichu softens things up, but... yeah. First bit of S/M news that's more disappointment than hype.

Jeez dude, calm down.  I doubt letting Ash-Greninja into the game is going to be apocalyptic on the gameplay.  It's okay to not like the anime (even though I really don't think it's done "Horrible, horrible things" that are crimes against the franchise), but I wouldn't take a fun little easter egg this seriously.  I can understand your pain on Litten's evolution, but this seems a rather insignificant detail to flip out over.  I highly doubt this is the ultimate sign games and anime are going to be massively intertwined from now on.

More anime references that have been inserted into the games: Spiky-Eared Pichu and Pikachu-coloured Pichu.

At the end of the day, I remain confident that Ash-Greninja is a Mega Evolution they had to repurpose when Z was scrapped.  It was always highly likely to end up in the games; you may as well complain about the new Zygarde formes being brought into the games, having first appeared in the anime.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

Jeez dude, calm down.  I doubt letting Ash-Greninja into the game is going to be apocalyptic on the gameplay.  It's okay to not like the anime (even though I really don't think it's done "Horrible, horrible things" that are crimes against the franchise), but I wouldn't take a fun little easter egg this seriously.  I can understand your pain on Litten's evolution, but this seems a rather insignificant detail to flip out over.  I highly doubt this is the ultimate sign games and anime are going to be massively intertwined from now on.

OK, maybe I was exaggerating slighty, but I really don't like it when the games try to incorporate the animé into things, since while the games have evolved and matured without changing too drastically (up until now, anyway), the animé... has not. I still don't like how they canonized Pokémon Speak for Pikachu, for instance, and I'd say that's an even more insignificant detail than Ash-Grenina, since people had to model it and program an Ability specfically for it as opposed to recycling voice clips.

More anime references that have been inserted into the games: Spiky-Eared Pichu and Pikachu-coloured Pichu.

At the end of the day, I remain confident that Ash-Greninja is a Mega Evolution they had to repurpose when Z was scrapped.  It was always highly likely to end up in the games; you may as well complain about the new Zygarde formes being brought into the games, having first appeared in the anime.

I doubt Ash-Greninja is a repurposed Mega Evolution - it's clearly modeled after Ash, it's not very "Mega" compared to other Mega Evo designs, and it begs the question of why the other Kalos starters didn't get the same treatment if it were a Mega Evolution. Plus, what's stopping them from simply making it a Mega Evolution in a later game and not its own unique thing? It feels like a stock animé trope that they decided to include in Pokémon.

And your Zygarde argument doesn't quite work since those formes don't reference a specific animé character, and we all knew Zygarde was going to get at least one new forme anyway thanks to the Law of Legendary Trios (any seemingly innocuous post-game legendary resembling the box-art legends is connected to them and will get one or more alternate form once they become the next Big Deal).

2 minutes ago, Spin Attaxx said:

OK, maybe I was exaggerating slighty, but I really don't like it when the games try to incorporate the animé into things, since while the games have evolved and matured without changing too drastically (up until now, anyway), the animé... has not. I still don't like how they canonized Pokémon Speak for Pikachu, for instance, and I'd say that's an even more insignificant detail than Ash-Grenina, since people had to model it and program an Ability specfically for it as opposed to recycling voice clips.

I don't really let that stuff bother me.  Although that's probably because I'm repetitive enough a person to continue watching that show.  To me, changing Pikachu's voice clips just doesn't really matter.  It's a sound and since the anime's Pikachu noises are more recognisable, it only makes sense to change it.  With Ash-Greninja, it isn't necessary to the game, but it does supply a fun, possibly useful, nod to the show.  Besides, excluding that ugly business in the Lumiose Conference, Greninja and Ash's bond has been more developed than his usual catches in each region.  I mean it's right up there with Charizard and Infernape I'd say, since the duo did, in a way, mature and evolve (in Greninja's case, literally even).