Awoo.

The SSMB 100

Patticus

Release the top 100 unordered first, then after we've had a good discussion release the ordered list a bit at a time. We could get a lot of miliage if we do it this way. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just release the ordered list. That was the whole point of the thing: the goal was SSMB's top 100 games, you told us to put the games in order as that would affect the positioning, etc. No point in hiding the actual results after you've given us all the games that made it.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

This top ten is a depressingly predictable affair, that PC game got pushed out. :(

I may make the 'official' list one without ranking positions, only showing the games in the Top 100 (grouped together by series) leaving the actual positioning to everyone's own mind. Numbering them can and will cause arguments and while I will release this ordered list it might not be such a good idea for it to come out first.

Thoughts?

I'd rather the top 100 was revealed in order honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have 2 Sonic games. I don't find them that embarassing a choice though, they're fantastic games. >>

EDIT: As for the order, I think most people can guess pretty accurately what'll be up there. There will be little to no surprises, sure people will get mad, but shouldn't they just be glad they've had a brilliant gaming experience that everyone else seemingly "missed out" on? If it really causes arguments then some people have an unecessary problem with popular thought.

And usually popular things have a good reason for being popular (key word: usually)

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just release it ordered, there's always going to be bickering on lists

• Thumbs Up 1

Just release it ordered, there's always going to be bickering on lists

If everyone can see what's in the Top 100 but can't tell what's in the Top 20 from what isn't, there's no bickering over what should go where. I'll release the ordered list on Sunday the 9th at a rate of, say, 10-15 games at a time, over the course of a week (or all together if you all insist) and afterwards put out the unordered list and short 15-20 lists of the most glaring omissions/most interesting choices, and then the whole shebang.

The ordered list will have games ranked primary by the number of points they rack up, and where a group of games have point allocations that are the same I'll rank higher those games that had more votes - that more people thought worthy of listing - than those of equal pointage with fewer votes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right, I've finally had myself a proper chance to draw up a first draft. I've somehow managed to nominate 5 P.C games, but I think there must be one or two games in general I'm missing out.

Also, I want an ordered list too. Sure, people will bitch about lacement, but that's when you hand out strikes for people being petty bitches :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I would very much like the idea of just releasing a few games everyday, =D. I've always loved when IGN does this with their list, and to have the same system used here and my internet home would be even cooler, <3.

The part I'm looking forward to out of all of this is the fact that I might get some more great recommendations on some new PS3 games. Hell, I might even be surprised and find out that a Wii game is pretty high on the list that I haven't tried either, =3.

-Blur

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't recorded the formats, lolz.

It's no matter, I can always just look it up on Wikipedia if it sounds appealing to me, =3.

-Blur

• Thumbs Up 1

Megaman 2-3-4-9 better be on the list or i'll have to kill a few people.

Also nobody can beat me with lame, I put like 5 Sonic games on mine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only one Sonic game from me!

I think, that I agree with Flint; the list should just be shown in order.

• Thumbs Up 1

No Sonic games from me, and 20 PC Games. Shame I'll probably be the only person voting for them, which really does say something about the kids of today... =(

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand why not liking many PC games is any more of a crime than not liking games from any other machine.

They're all games. All that matters to me are which ones I have fun playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

All that matters is that you nominate what you love. Half of my own nominations are nowhere near the Top 100.

• Thumbs Up 1

Voting will end at midnight tonight (BST), which is 7pm EST and 4pm PST. Any votes sent after that time will regrettably not be counted. Tornado, you're fine. Votes will be tallied up when I get the chance and the official countdown begins on Monday, ten games at a time (or more if there are loads of joint ones, which there are down towards the lesser points/votes end of the scale.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be here to discuss the placings as they arrive, as I'm sure a lot of you here will be too. When we reach the 25's, I'll begin to release my choices along with it, just in case any of you are interested. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I just sent mine in... had to pass on the last two because I would have ran out of time... but my number final choices... if it makes any difference would have been...

24: RoboCop Vs Terminator (Mega Drive Version).

25: Crazy Taxi

I voted based on what games I have simply loved and continued to play over and over, even when I had completed them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly fought with myself hard over my number 15 spot. The choice I wanted to put I feared would have had me lynched, so I just put the "popular" one. I still have regrets over it, as well; because I'm sure as hell the one I put is probably going to end up being in the top 3, if not the winner. Damn my lack of a spine.

That being said, I was quite comfortable with the rest of my list. A good selection of PC games, arcade games (though nearly all of those were fighters, naturally) and console games. I had the 25 games done in relatively short order, but it took me about an hour to put them in the locations that I felt was accurate (ignoring the previously mentioned cop-out).

Something I would be interested in seeing is a graphical breakdown of what system, generation and genre each game on the list was in.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

That being said, I was quite comfortable with the rest of my list. A good selection of PC games, arcade games (though nearly all of those were naturally fighters) and console games. I had the 25 games done in relatively short order, but it took me about an hour to put them in the locations that I felt was accurate (ignoring the previously mentioned cop-out).

When I made my list and looked back on it afterwards, I was quite suprised at how many PC games were on it. One of them was even an MS DOS title! Not sure how 'popular' some of my titles were though, I doubt many (if any at all), will get onto the list, but there we go.

• Thumbs Up 1

The oldest I had was Windows '95 era, though early enough in that time frame that it had to be patched the next year to even allow GPU acceleration (and then patched again even later to allow stuff other than DirectX).

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I have a win95/dos choice. Still no idea if it'll be in the chart, but it's my second-favourite game. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Only now do I remember I wanted to put Marble Madness in my list somewhere. Drat. Ah well, still pleased with the Top 25, though putting them in groups of five was tough.

...still easier than ranking all 25 exactly though, that'd would have took me hours.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to admit, it didn't take me that long. Though I love games dearly, few have had much of an effect on me. :)

• Thumbs Up 1