Awoo.

Sonic Lost World heading to Steam (2 November)

Carbo

The game is out for more than a month now, will SEGA fix the FPS unlocker glitches? =\ I really want to finish the game...

Apparently not. Hopefully there will be some fan-made fixes.

Yeah, those glitches are so annoying. I was able to finish the game but it required in three levels intentionally killing myself so I could skip those game-breaking sections.

So heres that Lazy thing i made last night:

It removes the Butterflies from Tropical Coast and Silent forest Act 1 and replaces the Flower with a Bonus Cannon. (Was too lazy to find the Normal Cannon)

Also removed some Dashpads in Windy Hill Act 4 that could kill you with the FPS Patch.

Download

• Thumbs Up 2

So heres that Lazy thing i made last night:

It removes the Butterflies from Tropical Coast and Silent forest Act 1 and replaces the Flower with a Bonus Cannon. (Was too lazy to find the Normal Cannon)

Also removed some Dashpads in Windy Hill Act 4 that could kill you with the FPS Patch.

Download

Awesome! Totally going to use that!

Anyway, I've gotta edit around with my no HUD mod. Does anyone know where the homing attack reticle thing is?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it.

Edited by Miss Haalyle Claus

Finally got to write about my thoughts about the game.

STORY: Yeah, it's fine and has some good moments but is nothing special. I give it a credit for trying to have some character development and overall rise the stakes but it doesn't really work because of the current "funny" and "child-friendly" aproach just limits those things. Have to admit, this game probably has as much plotholes as many other Sonic games even if it has it's fair share of those. Probably the worst instance was the whole scene of Tails being captured and reprogramming the computer with his tail... (how does he do that?) Speaking of Tails I'm probably the only person who doesn't hate his portrayal in this game. Other characters are what you would expect. And Zetis (why is the term Deadly six used only once in the game?) are quite mixed bag. I really hope that they return in the future so we would learn something about them. And what actually is Lost Hex and why characters know about it?!

PRESENTATION: I have quite mixed feelings towards it. Both graphics and music are awesome but there is just something that bugs me about them and the art style. I can't really explain what it is. When it comes to the music, I really miss vocal tracks. Neither Generations (new ones) nor Lost World had them. Animations and voice acting are good.

GAMEPLAY: Why Sonic games always have to be so hard to explain? If I would say everything I would like to this post would be way too long so I try to keep it short.

First of all, I love the way Sonic handles, it's not too stiff or too slippery. It's great to see spindash in a 3D game and even if it doesn't beat the SA1 version, it's still great and proves that anybody who says that this game is slow didn't either bother to learn to perform the dash or is both exaggarating and lying. Then there is the run-button. What's the point? In 3D I never let go of it. If you ask me, maybe like slowing down -button could have been better. Homing attack? Honestly I think they should just revert it back to the old version without the multi hitting and charging. Also what is the point of the kick? It just means sometimes having to press another button. Parkour? Barely used it. It can be quite unstable but I was able to get the hang of things. It's something I guess.

Then there are Wisp. How could I put this? They are pointless. There is not any reason for them to be there and are not really fun to use. At least they are optional and there is maybe 3 instances where using one was mandatory. Not to mention game doesn't do a good job explaining how to use them. I still have no idea how to properly use ring dash with hover. And why rhytm needsto be a thing? It basically does what homing attack does. What is the point?

Level design is mostly something that I really enjoy. 2D sections could be much better and some of the gimmicks are just so annoying, like that snowball and the flying level (not to mention because of the 30 fps lock some of things glitched out). And this game is probably along with Sonic 2 the hardest Sonic game I have ever played. Sky road and Lava mountain can be abit insane at some points. Not to mention the numerous insta-kill hazards in later levels (I hate them so much. They are just so cheap way to make the game harder)

Bosses. This is why the charged homing attack is a problem. It makes every single boss ridiculously easy. Only ones which are even remotely challenging are the Zavok fights because they require doing something else. And the final boss is just easier version of the final boss of Colours.

And finally there are the animals and Chaos emeralds. What is the point of padding the game by making me collect animals? It's not so bad but it should not exist. And Chaos Emeralds. Thankfully I can just download the savefile because those RSR are BS.

FINAL THOUGHTS: This has been very mixed game in the fanbase. I personally really liked it despite it's flaws. Definitely enjoyed this game more than Colours. And it's interesting to see how modding community will perform in the future.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Steam has just downloaded a 15mb update, anyone knows something about it?

EDIT: I checked it out and it looks like the scaling issues in the menus are gone.

EDIT2: Official patch notes 

-Steam Controller template added. 

-New players will start with 9 lives instead of 4. 

-Existing save games will be updated automatically when current lives are exhausted.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's V2 of the Sonic Runners music mod, by SonicHyuga and I. :)/> 

From Hyuga in the description:

Previous release video:

https://youtu.be/8qpAjTd5_tA

With the recent launch of the Vol. 2 soundtrack for Runners, we could update this mod with the higher quality tracks.

Some clips in this video are shorter than I would have liked, mostly because the Deadly Six constantly talk. Hadn't gotten around to remove the voice triggers yet.

Both Faseeh and I are maintaining this mod. Check out his channel:
https://youtube.com/user/GottaGoFas

This mod is made to be used with SonicGMI. Search Sonic Retro for how to set it up for Lost World.
Download: https://mega.nz/#!fdU0waza!O7tu2tpC2t_m161xB8ufpVUxV0aA4b4na0yfhe9vY8I 

• Thumbs Up 4

27 minutes ago, Faseeh said:

Here's V2 of the Sonic Runners music mod, by SonicHyuga and I. :)/> 

It's amazing how well it fits!!! Aside from the final boss maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2015 at 5:12 AM, RipeFIN said:

FINAL THOUGHTS: This has been very mixed game in the fanbase. I personally really liked it despite it's flaws. Definitely enjoyed this game more than Colours. And it's interesting to see how modding community will perform in the future.

Apparently the modding community has hit a brick wall or something with this game since there are barely any mods out that aren't reskins.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NoirSuede said:

Apparently the modding community has hit a brick wall or something with this game since there are barely any mods out that aren't reskins.

Yeah, I've noticed that too.

I do wish that latest patch fixed the goddamn issues for locked FPS... but no.

11 hours ago, NoirSuede said:

How long did Generations take to start getting level mods?  Lost World hasn't been out very long yet right, I'd assume people are still figuring out how to build stages through reverse engineering.

• Thumbs Up 2

The main problem for there to be as major mods as Generations had is that there's no physics .xml file. The physics properties are hardcoded. That means no character mods that are more than just a model/sound swap until the game is reverse engineered.

Stage collision for custom stages is still being properly figured out as well, if I recall correctly. The tube gravity probably makes things... interesting in that regard, I guess? It's also possible a lot less modders care about Lost World than there were who cared about Generations. The PC version has sold worse than the Wii U version, which of course due to its platform of choice among other factors, didn't do as well as most Sonic games tend to.

A smaller install base means a much smaller modding community as well, because the modding community is nearly always a minority of a game's userbase.

If I recall, Generations modding did take a while to get off the ground, because they had to reverse-engineer all the file formats. But the engine similarities to Generations and the fact that it's a straight port from the Wii U version (which is pretty well documented) means this game had a big head start in terms of modding, compared to Generations (where it had to be done from scratch).

• Thumbs Up 3

so how are we doing on that front? who exactly is doing the reverse engineering? doubt Dario is heading the front, he seems to be checked out of anything modding related I'm not even sure if hes updating the generations tools to support lost world.

On the topic of level mods, seaside hill anyone. I'm honestly surprised no one's talked about this yet. Apparently you can also swap hover over tails too (though it looks rediculous).

• Thumbs Up 1

I know Radfordhound had made a custom geometry test. I believe Twilightzoney is working on it too. I think Zoney's waiting on a new version of Sonic GLVL, which of course means waiting on Dario. Who knows when/if that'll pan out or if someone else will come up with a solution. The main issue is being able to easily import geometry and collision, it seems.

I'm no more knowledgeable about this than you, my info is secondhand- all from Retro's Lost World Wii U/PC hacking thread. I just wanted to point out that there's actually a big difference between the modding situations of this far after Generations was released and this far after Lost World released, and that there may be far less interest in active mod development due to lack of userbase and increased implementation of hardcoding.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Da Blu Hedgie said:

On the topic of level mods, seaside hill anyone. I'm honestly surprised no one's talked about this yet. Apparently you can also swap hover over tails too (though it looks rediculous).

That's pretty weird but also neat. Knuckles would make the perfect drill wisp.

Many players were unable to run the game at full speed, simply because of the "feature": locked 60FPS!

SEGA then, gave us a code to disable said feature, therefore unlocking the framerate. The code did works 100%, it runs smooth on my rig ever since. But doing so causes a lot of glitches for some reason. Some are boring, some are messy, some are even laughable... But some are game breaking. When you unlock the framerate, the game downgrades to an unpolished beta version or something... I just want it fixed, I don't like the idea of having a fan patch that adds springs so I can skip the part of the stage that glitches... It really shouldn't be that hard for SEGA to fix, unless the whole game was made around that locked 60FPS crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

The main problem for there to be as major mods as Generations had is that there's no physics .xml file. The physics properties are hardcoded. That means no character mods that are more than just a model/sound swap until the game is reverse engineered.

Actually the main issue is collision, the physics issue is not as big as it. Without collision, stages are almost impossible. Repacking terrain geometry is also an issue, if I recall right. Just a small correction, all your other information is right haha. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Faseeh said:

Actually the main issue is collision, the physics issue is not as big as it. Without collision, stages are almost impossible. Repacking terrain geometry is also an issue, if I recall right. Just a small correction, all your other information is right haha. 

I did mention the collission issues as well. I meant for more major-change mods like alternate character mods. All you can really do is reskins/model/sound swaps at this point in that regard- and while aesthetic changes are nice, I'd prefer differences akin to Tails and Knuckles if I'm going to play as someone other than Sonic.

Level mods definitely have a more major setback thanks to collision though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had to get this while it was 15€ on steam. So far, I've made it to tropical coast. The fps has stayed quite stable for me at  least. I'm going to write more detailed review when I'm done with this piece.

Edit: I made it to Silent Forest today and finished the first act. Darn, I wanna like this game so hard but at times I just can't. It makes me frustrated. This game isn't incredibly difficult, the controls and Sonic's movement combined with some of the level's gimmicks are horrible. I really love a few stages but mostly, they feel retardedly cheap.  This game could be so much better. And fun. Yes, I don't think it's fun. I like most of the ideas and all level themes, and heck this game is pretty-looking and all but playing it  makes me f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-e-d!

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing this again due to grabbing it in the 66% off sale too.  Overall a solid port, had no glitches or bugs, but have to say the whole game feels really... pixelly?  There's like no anti-ailasing at all, the game does not look as smooth as it does on a TV screen and it took me a while to get used to.  I'm also having to deal with a lazy letterboxed view since I'm using a 16:10 monitor.  I turned off depth-of-field too because the blurring effect on the backgrounds was also very ugly.  The blurring itself looks pixellated, like the blurred background is a lower resolution being artifically blown up to my 1680x1050 resolution.

I miss the circus game as a small distraction to break up the levels, but not a massive loss.  While I imagine it would bother some, having the ability to turn off voices is nice because it exclusively turns off the Stereotype Squad Deadly Six's in-level voiceovers.  Sonic's small gameplay vocalisations, and the Deadly Six's in-battle dialogue remains intact.  The only downside is (ugh why do so many developers miss out this detail), even with voiceover muted, the music still fades when the Deadly Six SHOULD be talking mid-level.  Luckily unlike some other games I've played with this issue, the music fade is so small I only even noticed it in Windy Hill and Desert Ruins, where there's less constant action going on to distract you.

Been playing it with the Steam controller, which nicely comes pre-set up to play the game.  The tertiary click bumpers on the back can be used to spin-dash and jump if you want a more technical control scheme where you never have to move any of your fingers off of any inputs.

Only other comments is that strangely despite never having an issue with Frozen Factory Act 2 before, this time I had the same experience as everyone else and loathed it lol.  Other than that, the second pinball section in Frozen Factory Act 3 ticked me off all over again, especially the fact that it's near impossible to avoid the checkpoint skip after dying a few times.  Adding the ability to turn those off would have been a nice feature.

• Thumbs Up 1