Awoo.

Undertale (PC, PS4, Switch) & Deltarune (PC DEMO)

Pompadour

Literally the only thing I want to see Toby Fox expand on someday is...

...Gaster's relationship with Sans. The information about Gaster within the game is vague, but you can piece together who he was and what happened to him. However the sole remaining mystery about Undertale is what Sans knows about him and what he had to do with him. All we have based on this is the broken machine in Sans's room and his skull weapons having the name "gasterblaster" in the game's files.

I think stuff like Chara's past and why they were evil to begin with is irrelevant. Chara is more or less the embodiment of the RPG battle system, so providing more context for their actions is unnecessary when they're less of a character than they are a force. Frisk's past I don't think needs elaboration anymore than any NPC's past does. It's not really important why they were climbing the mountain, even if that question remained unanswered throughout the game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Literally the only thing I want to see Toby Fox expand on someday is...

Hidden Content

Gaster in general is probably Undertale's biggest mystery.

Like it does seem like Sans is actually smarter that he looks like, this is the case during the fight in the Genocide Run since he is aware of the power of SAVE since he talks about "reports" and stuff. So I'm going to guess that Gaster tried to attempt doing something to replicate SAVE like how Alphys was trying to inject determination into monsters like Shyren's sister or Snowdrake's mom. But as both scenarios turned out, it was disastrous. Gaster disappeared from existence with nobody have any memory of who he is but his "conscience" is still active in some way.

I'm going to take a wild guess that Sans may have been an assistant to Gaster or Gaster may have been the eldest brother to Sans and Papyrus or their father even. Since W. D. G is an acronym for Wingdings, which is a visual font. Which makes sense when the River Person mentions "beware of the man who speaks with hands" or something like that. Also what's up with the River Person as well? That's for another time, I guess.

Well in terms of the past, I mean for one thing. Undyne has an eye patch so me thinks that somewhere in the past, Undyne had a fight with (probably one of the 6 Humans, after Chara but before Frisk) and injured her eye. And she also mentioned a partner that she recalls, she could be referencing to Asgore but who knows?

I'm just more curious on how the characters were like before Frisk came along and grow into the characters we know now. Could happen in a second game, a comic, I just crave for more!

• Thumbs Up 2

* this whole post is kinda spoiler-heavy.

* read at your own risk.

So about a week or two ago, I finally finished Undertale (pacifist run), and I just can't believe how much I love this game.  I love the game so much that I can't even bring myself to reset the game and start over to see the other possible endings.  I have seen some clips of other playthroughs on YouTube and on the Wiki, but otherwise, I haven't bothered too much with the neutral and genocide run.  Anyway, this is easily my game of the year for 2015, but it's also one of my favorite games in general.

For starters, I'm a sucker for any game that allows me to do things other than kill enemies.  This might be why I like the Ace Attorney games so much.  They're not about combat so much as preventing bad things from happening and bringing to justice those responsible for doing bad things.  So Undertale is already sort of my cup of tea when it comes to things like alternatives to killing everything in sight.  It's not a system that I think every game benefits from, mind you, but for Undertale, it's definitely the best part of the gameplay.  If that's not enough, though, the amount of exploration in the game is dizzying.  It's a double edged sword, though, when you have an RPG that has this level of exploration, particularly from a two-dimensional perspective.  You want to see every possible thing, but you're worried that anytime you transition to a new screen, you're going to change the plot or you'll accidentally progress the plot and won't be able to go back.

The weight that all your decisions have, no matter how minor, is also something to be admired.  In a sea of games that try their best to increase the illusion of immersion by adding traces of player choice and branching narratives, very few manage to do it right in a way that is significant and meaningful.  Undertale makes choice almost the primary mechanic, giving every decision you make, and many that you don't, weight that significantly impacts the story, the gameplay, and the entire world around you in a way that, while still linear in nature, changes the experience tremendously.

Then we have the narrative, which is oozing with lore and mythos, and I just can't get enough of it.  I definitely have the urge to learn everything there is about the world I've just been thrust into.  i definitely want to know more about the characters.  I definitely want to know who this Gaster person is.  There are some weakpoints with the narrative, mind you.  The main thing that sort of bugs me is how self-referential it becomes towards the end.  I applaud the game early on for making arbitrary mechanics like save states, loading, dying, etc. integral parts of the story, and for the most part it works swimmingly, but towards the end, especially during the final fight with Flowey, the game becomes a little too aware that it's a game and starts referencing a bunch of different things at once and it's a little overwhelming.  It sort of just sucks you out of the world.  Otherwise, it's just intriguing watching all these events unfold and seeing how your actions dictate the actions and fates of the characters.

But arguably more pronounced and fleshed out than the story and the world itself is perhaps the characters, and I can't even reasonably process the love I have for these characters.  They're the very reason I'm reluctant to do a genocide or even a neutral playthrough.  Toby made these characters so fun and relatable and cute and charming and just all around nice that I just don't want to bring harm to them.  It brings me back to the days when I was in elementary school and would fret about my Tamagotchi pet dying.  I just don't want to see these characters hurt, let alone by my own hand!

But really, these characters are great.  They're so full of life and imagination.  The humor is almost spot-on and even when it's not particularly funny (Papyrus' obsession with spaghetti isn't really "haha" hilarious, for example), it always makes me smile with how adorable everyone is.  Others may be like Undyne, who are scary, but you ultimately care a lot about their well being.  My favorite boss is obvious. In case I change my avatar and signature by the time you read this, it's Muffet.  But I can't decide on a favorite character or favorite set of characters overall.  Do I love Sans and Papyrus?  Undyne and Alphys?  Mettaton?  Mettaton EX?!  BURGERPANTS?!!!  Who do I choose?!  It's so hard!!  I just love them all!  Even the enemies are just adorable.  My favorites, from what I can remember off the top of my head, are Woshua, Aaron, Tsunderplane, and of course TEMMIE!!!

Lastly, we have the visual presentation of the game.  I'm going to be honest, when I was asked to play Undertale and I started to look up information on it, I was extremely skeptical.  The 8-bit throwback style of visuals does nothing for me, so I thought this was going to be yet another one of those nostalgia-pandering games that uses 8-bit graphics as a gimmick and makes constant references to things like blowing on cartridges and things like that.

6cbb3f52c545adcceee6e6897001f3c5.jpg?v=1

* this still pisses me off.

But color me impressed, despite being self-referential and very self-aware in terms of being a video game, the writing does a splendid job of avoiding typical 8-bit cliches.  On top of that, the art style is actually less reminiscent of the NES and reminds me more of old Atari ST home computers, which is a slightly more original concept.  But I think the archaic look of the game also does wonders in building mystery and intrigue.  Because of the graphical limitations, we don't see too much detail, which means we have to rely on exploration and imagination in order to fill in the blanks, which does wonders in establishing a foreboding atmosphere and a sense of uncertainty.  I got used to the game's visual style quickly, and even grew to enjoy it.

And that's to say nothing of the soundtrack, which is amazing and thankfully manages to avoid consisting solely of retro throwbacks.  I don't want to analyze the soundtrack individually as I might do with other games, because every single piece fits the game's atmosphere, aesthetics, and humor to a T.  I still find myself listening to just the music.  I can't decide on what track I like most, so here's three that I particularly like off the top of my head.

Long story short, game of the year.

Probably one of my favorite games.

I wanna date a skeleton.

• Thumbs Up 6

You may want to date a skeleton, but I would smooch a ghost.

Just to make Napstablook happy. :3

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished Neutral and True Pacifist runs of this game, and I probably have some weird thoughts about it.

I feel the neutral pathway is the best written because it constrains itself properly to the theme of empathy's place in an unforgiving world. The first rule you are told is that it's "kill or be killed," which is a stark declaration of how bleak Underground is. However, you are still given the option to break out of this binary the entire time. Undyne at first appears as an exception since her indoctrinated attitude towards humans inhibits her from taking your mercy, but I would argue that this is simply a new label on old mechanics; while for most battles it's "kill or spare," with her it's "kill or flee" instead. Overall, you are allowed to treat the people around you however you so choose and they will be receptive to your actions.

Granted, an argument can be made that the monsters' relative ease in accepting your passivity and friendship undermines Flowey's first rule and subsequently the strength of the battle system. Even though we can surmise after the fact that his mantra is the result of him lacking a soul and thus a projection of his own personal issues, it's impossible for the audience to deduce this from a neutral game and thus it stands as one of the major parts of the game's thesis: "Underground is kill or be killed, but can this be surmounted?" The first real enemy encounter answers this question immediately, so the rest of the run is a redundant exercise in making friends,which isn't mechanically different from normal RPG battling anyway- choose the best options that will remove the opponent from play before you're removed first.

One thing that might have helped this would be to place importance upon fleeing instead of mercy options for most of the time (particularly since it's a little difficult to believe that a small child would have either the physical strength or the deductive skills to win battles against monsters in either manner, even with understanding the mechanics of soul power). It's kill or be killed, however one way to overcome this is to have neither opponent fight. Running would make more sense in the context of the characters, the setting, and the goal of giving game mechanics direct narrative meaning. And instead, for more critical story moments such as meeting Asgore or Undyne, the mercy option would hold more narrative weight.

Speaking of Asgore, I really like this fight. We are led on for hours that it's possible to spare every character using the options at our disposal. Furthermore, we have already faced Undyne who- despite not wanting to be spared due to her insistence on killing you- was still able to be redeemed through other methods. So when we are told that Asgore is planning to kill you, it is within the realm of possibility that he doesn't have to take damage either. Until he himself destroys the Mercy option before the fight even starts. This is a great example of subversion and shows the terrible, sympathetic depths of his pain. He feels this horrible thing has to be done, and that's life. Some people are immovable and feel that bad things must be done regardless of any personal feelings one has about doing them. The entire fight is wrapped up in this terrible sense of inevitability and it's glorious.

However once you defeat him and he's down, the previous rules return to play which is nice. Asgore is a good yet heavily flawed and misguided creature, and so the sense of redemption here is a good feeling. But that's taken away when he's killed by Flowey, and this is where I found myself getting the most emotional out of the entire game. Now Flowey is a completely irredeemable fucking piece of shit. There is no reasonably realistic scenario where a being of his caliber should not have been lawn-mowed into quantum bits. Even Hitler had a wife and liked dogs; Flowey couldn't have even managed that. And still the game puts you in the position of having to decide to spare him. I felt both angry at this freedom and genuinely sad that I was allowing him to continue wreaking so much misery. Indeed, out of everything I've seen so far, having to spare Flowey is the closest I came to crying.

I think that's because it shows the true character of what it takes to forgive a person who has purposefully done harm and intends to continue doing so. It's really easy to forgive a scuffle or a misunderstanding, but having to spare someone bent on genocide is a tall order because we like believing in karma and a fair world- that good things should happen to good people, and bad things should happen to bad people. When people rape or kill or declare ethnic wars and the like, we want to get revenge and see those people taken down because that's only fair. It's resoundingly unfair that Asgore had to die and yet Flowey was given a chance at redemption at the player's hands. It taps into so many base feelings and moral assumptions we have and what it means to truly be a good person that it's a genuinely brilliant design decision.

That was definitely the height of my playthrough as far as emotion emanating from a crossroads is concerned. The True Pacifist route...honestly, it gets way too cliche' and rushed at the end. It becomes an info-dump of information, first regarding Alphys' horrific experiments on her fellow monsters and how that affects her character which seemed gravely glossed over in a game that is about moral decisions (although I loved the dungeon and setting itself. Really great atmosphere!), and then Asriel himself. On top of his initial backstory, we suddenly come to learn that he's Flowey because he was brought back by Alphys' reckless experimentation due to his ashes being on the flower she chose and without a soul he's without the ability to feel and when he originally took the first human back to the village it wasn't a noble gesture but an internal struggle against the human because said human was actually shitty because he hated humans for some reason and he doesn't want to be alone and--

Man, I... I just don't care. Asriel is such an underdeveloped facet of most of the campaign that to suddenly thrust him upon the proceedings with final boss status and Kingdom Hearts-levels of convolution was never going to do it for me. That goes double for his anime transformations and the whole "the people you helped will cheer you on" cliche'. The Thousand Year Door does this thing much better. This climax was just...bad to me- a total drop of the ball- and subsequently it left a bit of a hollow hole in the victory that was finally getting to the surface together with the main cast. It's making me want to play genocide route just to see if I get a more interesting ending.

So those are my thoughts. It's a good game with some moments of brilliance in there. Not my super favorite of all time, even within the genre (again, TTYD is my gold standard), and possibly a little overhyped, but it's a quirky and interesting experience I've not regretted spending time with.

• Thumbs Up 5

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the neutral route was the best of the three by far. 

Even just considering how emotionally satisfying the Flowey boss was alone. It felt like I barely made it out of that shit. It's rare a final boss makes me feel like that. All the interface screws and the constant game overs really do make it feel unsettling. Like you're fighting something that's actually impossible to beat. Like you're powerless against it. 

The Pacifist final boss and ending is pretty lame in comparison. I'm glad the game makes you see the neutral boss first regardless if you played nice or not, since that's the high point of the game imo. 

Haven't really seen anything from the genocide route yet since I'm saving it for if I ever feel like playing the game again.

I will say

its still pretty weird that everyone got a happy ending in some way in the Pacifist Run. Ok so I like happy endings and this was a well deserved one but even the Amalgamates got back with their families despite being massively fused monsters and possibly even suffering due to their condition. Not to mention the repercussions Alphys could had recieved. I mean it was funny seeing the Dog Amalgate hanging out with the dogs but it just seems so weird in general.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be honest, I feel like the neutral final boss would make more sense for the pacifist ending. While I like the music and how "anime" the whole thing feel in the true final boss, it kinda lack the omph that the other bosses have. I think Omega Flowey would invoke a stronger emotional impact and have the player feel, well, determined to win against a seemly unwinnable battle to earn the happy ending.

I've finished Neutral and True Pacifist runs of this game, and I probably have some weird thoughts about it.

Hidden Content

So those are my thoughts. It's a good game with some moments of brilliance in there. Not my super favorite of all time, even within the genre (again, TTYD is my gold standard), and possibly a little overhyped, but it's a quirky and interesting experience I've not regretted spending time with.

Yeah, after playing the pacifist route, I was hyped as fuck, but then I let it sink in and then it became kinda hollow, like you described.

...is it bad that I prefer the Pacifist, then? I mean, don't get me wrong, the neutral finale was incredibly strong... but then it kinda petered out. After the end boss, the ending was so abrupt.

Pacifist, on the other hand, struck me on a deeper emotional level. The buildup, the music, the presentation, the finale... It felt like a labor of love, and I was hooked from start to finish.

• Thumbs Up 7

I've always cared more about characters than actual plot progression.  That's not to say I don't find plot progression important.  It is, and I certainly agree that the ending does stumble a bit in that department, but after being on the game for quite some time, and because of how well-written and adorable the characters are, I really found myself invested in the interactions I had with them, so when the pacifist route was over, it had a really emotional impact on me.  I feel that maybe that is what they were going for.  Not so much a tightly-knit conclusion, but a goodbye to all the characters that you've interacted with throughout the course of the game.

In general, I feel the pacifist run is more about that in general.  Character interactions, rather than linear storytelling.  But I think the criticisms levied here are more than valid, as they are evident.  It's just that they don't bother me as much as it might others.

Also, I think Asriel's conflict made perfect sense.  Either that or I'm just putting words in the game's mouth.

Asriel is bitter with humanity because his friend was killed, then he was killed, which in turn started a war between monsters and humans all because of (from what we can tell) was a misunderstanding that no one bothered to ask about, which leads to the current state that the Underground is in.  So I can see why he might be bitter at humanity, but it's also interesting because even if he doesn't have a soul, his basic human (or in this case, monster) need for comfort and meaningful interaction are still prominent.  I don't know, it makes sense to me but I mean I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 3

...is it bad that I prefer the Pacifist, then? I mean, don't get me wrong, the neutral finale was incredibly strong... but then it kinda petered out. After the end boss, the ending was so abrupt.

Pacifist, on the other hand, struck me on a deeper emotional level. The buildup, the music, the presentation, the finale... It felt like a labor of love, and I was hooked from start to finish.

Nah, I can understand why. You get attached to the characters during this route, and saving them feels a lot more personal because of the friendships gained during the play through. That, and the music and the visuals are pretty kick-ass. Rainbow colours flashing around and a demonic animu monster? Muh favorite. :y

But elaborating on what I feel about the pacifist ending, I guess the reason it started feeling like a hollow victory is because, even though I wanted to kill things, I didn't. Because the game advertises itself as a game where you don't have to kill, I kinda knew from the get go that to get the best ending I'd have to spare every enemy I encountered, even that fucking flower. And after developing all the friendships with the characters and saving the Underground, you know what I got? Nothing. Why?

... because it turns out that it was all really Frisk. I, on the other hand, was that sociopath child who fell into the Underground first. Bullshit. Even after denying myself the most basic sense of self preservation instincts, making all the friends and helping them have better lives, it wasn't me who did all these great things. It's like Toby knew that people would play the characters like fiddles to earn the best ending, so he set up the trick with the name entry screen to deny the player the pleasure of being the one to set things right.

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll....... If it makes you feel better...

You can kill Flowey at the end of a Neutral Run and it won't lock you out of getting the true pacifist ending. The only difference is that he won't show up at the end and give you the hint which leads to his big plan. However if you do kill him, Flowey won't give you the satisfaction of ending that son of a bitch. In fact it feels like you don't ever feel satisfied killing Flowey in any route.

Though you probably don't feel much better after reading that.

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll....... If it makes you feel better...

Hidden Content

Though you probably don't feel much better after reading that.

:/

brb skipping through a meadow of golden flowers WITH A FLAMETHROWER

Edited by Briraka
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, I think Asriel's conflict made perfect sense.  Either that or I'm just putting words in the game's mouth.

Asriel is bitter with humanity because his friend was killed, then he was killed, which in turn started a war between monsters and humans all because of (from what we can tell) was a misunderstanding that no one bothered to ask about, which leads to the current state that the Underground is in.  So I can see why he might be bitter at humanity, but it's also interesting because even if he doesn't have a soul, his basic human (or in this case, monster) need for comfort and meaningful interaction are still prominent.  I don't know, it makes sense to me but I mean I don't know.

Iiiii think you've got it completely wrong. Granted, the narrative seems a bit unclear.

Asriel knows that Chara got sick either through bad circumstances or his own ridiculous plan of sticking it to humanity (Why? Who knows? Because kids are misanthropes I guess). We also know that he took Chara's body to the human village after absorbing his soul either because he wanted to fulfill a dying friend's wish or because Chara was actually in control of Asriel's body and was planning to stage the whole thing. In either scenario though, Asriel didn't fight back against the people when they started attacking even though he'd gotten powerful enough to do so at that point.  Subsequently we know that this had to have taken place after the monsters' banishment because Asriel needed to have absorbed Chara's soul to cross the barrier in the first place and thus he was already living in Underground.

Asriel is a pretty kind soul and doesn't seem to have much reason to hate people. After all, he immediately accepts Chara as a friend as well as Frisk after all is said and done. His loneliness, in turn, seems to stem from the fact that Chara died at all. Remember during the battle he's screaming about this- that he loves Chara and doesn't want to be alone anymore and all of that? Heck, the only reason Flowey insists on infinite time loops is because he wants to spend time with the player forever, however twisted that time together might be.

My problem with this is that Asriel seemed pretty well-adjusted in general before Chara came into the picture. There's nothing in the game that says he was miserable or alone or anything beforehand, and there's no way he had much time to settle in on his grief and process the loneliness because as the legend goes, "They had lost two children in one night." So, what, was Chara actually this poor kid's only friend or something? Why is there so much focus on his relationship with Chara and being alone when he's got two loving parents and all of Monsterhood to love and exalt him as a person?

Without this kind of elaboration the ending is basically super melodramatic. "A friend died I'm going to be lonely forever." Whaaaaaaa?

To be fair, that does get explained a bit more in the Genocide Route, which is ironic when you consider it's the one route that has irreparable consequences on future runs... if you complete it, anyway.

To be fair, that does get explained a bit more in the Genocide Route, which is ironic when you consider it's the one route that has irreparable consequences on future runs... if you complete it, anyway.

Or, you could be a dirty cheater and get rid of the App Data files. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

My sister enjoys it immensely, and seems to think I'd enjoy it, too, given there's enough humor that my sis was saying she thought "this is a [not putting down my real name] game!"

And maybe I would enjoy it...if I had something I could play it on without worry. I did ask for a new laptop this Christmas, but I'll be shocked if that happens. We'll see.

Asriel is so ruthless as Flowey not because of Chara's death (he was responsible for holding back Chara's attempts to slaughter the human village when Asriel carried his body to the surface) but because Alphys revived him without a soul. It was because of this that Asriel's spirit lingered but he lacked the capacity to feel emotion. The genocide route reveals that because of his saving abilities, he's actually been around for a pretty fucking long time, and in each timeline he's done various different things from treating others with kindness to killing them remorselessly. Over time, perhaps hundreds or even thousands of years in the underground, he devolved into the sadistic, savage beast that we know by the time the game starts.

Flowey/Asriel wasn't bitter at humanity. He didn't spend his entire existence as Flowey lonely. He did all those evil things because he was bored.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, that character's motivations and how they reached that mental state becomes a lot more clear in the Genocide Route.

Asriel/Flowey basically escaped from Alphys' lab, went back home, tried living with Asgore for a while, but found that he simply couldn't feel any empathy, so he ran away to the ruins, lived with Toriel for a while as well. No change there, so he tried to kill himself, only to discover that he had enough dettermination to save and reset, so he abused that ability to its logical conclusion to the point where he explored every possibility in hopes that he could feel something. In the end, he completely lost perspective, becoming truly bitter and malicious. It's only in the Pacifist route where he fully regains his old self, but ironically, in the genocide ending, he returns to being some semblance of his former self, but only right before his 'best friend' horrifically butchers him.

Poor Asriel's backstory is pretty fucked up.

Also, Briraka, I think you might have a slight misconception about the pacifist ending.

<Player Name>/Chara is not necessarily the player character. Hell, there's implications in the genocide ending that they're an entirely independent character who gradually asserts more and more control in the Genocide Route as their identity blends with Frisk's. Just because you named them doesn't mean you were ever playing as them. Frisk was and is always the player character, the main difference between routes if whether Chara eventually robs you of your control over him or not. Hell, a popular theory going around right now is that Chara is the narrator in all routes, which would explain the rather interesting narration text. This also implies that Chara can be genuinely redeemed.

Interestingly, there's also a lot of debate over how much of a bad person Chara actually was originally. Sure, he most certainly hated his own village and become something of a misanthrope as a result, it doesn't mean he was fundamentally evil. Hell, it's very much possible (and probably the case) that he genuinely cared for his adopted family who loved him unconditionally, but the way he wanted to help them was fucked up because, well, he was a really fucked up kid who didn't know better and considered outright suicide a viable course of action for the sake of his adopted family.

Really, as great as the neutral ending was, the pacifist ending's amazing emotional climax focused on the main cast and all the characters I've grown to love and adore makes up for what flaws that ending has, really.

I'm not sure I'd call Undertale my favourite RPG - that crown still probably goes to Chrono Trigger, which is a fantastic standalone game in its own right (I say standalone because Chrono Cross ruined everything by being a terrible sequel), but it's still one of my favourite games of all time regardless.

Edited by Candescence
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey hey hey, fellow Undertale players. While I was reading through TV Tropes' thread on this interesting-looking game, which I now have thanks to good ol' Soni, I came across this Tumblr post discussing an interesting easter egg. I'm not quite sure if this is a spoiler, but here you go.

http://squeewentthefangirl.tumblr.com/post/135158874114/i-havent-seen-a-post-about-this-yet-for-some

It's kinda cool to see that you can actually change a detail like that and the game hangs a lampshade on it. It leaves me wondering what else you can do here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Some my True Pacifist/Neutral opinions below

As offputting and anime-like as True Pacifist felt to me, i still felt this huge sense of accomplishment and relief when it was all over. I was so happy I got to help my fictional friends escape the mountain, and while I couldn't save Asriel/Flowey completely, I was glad Flowey got to have a somewhat change of heart at the end. It wasn't the most original ending, but it was definitely the most positive outcome I could expect from this game, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I liked the Neutral Ending as well though. I like how so many of your actions can completely change the outcome of the ending, and how depending how you play, its ending can be just as tragic (if not more) than Genocide's. Erasing everything in a single swipe is grim enough, but it beats slowly dying in your own tomb with no hope of rescue. =(

However... Omega Flowey isn't really a thing I'd want as THE final boss of the game. It was a great fight, and those last moments were some of my favorites in the whole game... but it lacked the closure I wanted to be the actual end. I much preferred it as a followup to True Pacifist. Because, if I'm THAT determined to set things right, even against Worst Flower Ever, I might as well set things right for everyone else, too.

And oh yeah, there's TONS of little easter eggs throughout the whole game. Many are silly and cute, others imply something very "dark" that might be hiding within the game's code, such as what Ice mentioned above. The game's chock full of surprises that are still being found months later.

Though... I'm still not sure how big of a spoiler that one "dark" secret is though. It's something that has to be found through very unusual means, unless you're lucky enough to get very vague implied "hints" about it in-game. It's something I mentioned earlier in the topic, but sadly it looks like the steam article I posted has been neglected for a while. So here's the wiki link for anyone unfamiliar with the most (in)famous undertale easter egg found yet!

http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/W._D._Gaster

EDIT - Whoops. Looks like this same secret was discussed above in more detail and I missed it. Oh well. now folks can have the link if they want at least :V

• Thumbs Up 1

So I decided to give Undertale a look since I've heard nothing but good things about the game. I'll tell you one thing, I was not ready for the crushing depression that game dropped on me. It seemed no matter what path I looked at, each one still left me to the point I almost sobbed. Doesn't help that I suffer from depression problems due to the death of three of my family members when I was younger.

But I can see why people love this game, it is indeed very well made and it does make you think.