Awoo.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash(Wii U)

Klinsy

Hmm, well the most disliked thing from Open, Power shots can be disabled, which should make people happy. Don't think the 4 ? boxes are nessecarily all we're getting, and there's a question of whether or not MK opened up the path for amiibos allowing for some crossover characters

So, the press release for Europe is out with a nifty little something special for us.

22nd October, 2015 – Coming exclusively to Wii U in Europe on November 20th, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash offers brand new fun for court competitors, including the ability to team up with amiibo. Supported amiibo* can be your partner in online doubles matches**, or join you to battle strong computer-controlled opponents in the offline Knockout Challenge mode. The more matches your amiibo plays, the more experience it’ll gain, becoming a uniquely powerful team-mate as its abilities increase over time.

New faces like Rosalina also hit the courts, along with returning characters like Luigi, Waluigi, Boo and more for tennis with a distinct Mushroom Kingdom twist. On top of standard shots like topspin, lobs, slices and more, the new Ultra Smash move sees characters leap high into the air and smash the ball down to devastating effect. Adept tennis tacticians can also gain the advantage by hitting the right shot while standing in the coloured Chance Areas that occasionally appear, unleashing super-strong smashes or bamboozling slices to flummox adversaries on the other side of the net.

Using a combination of controllers including the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller and Classic Controller Pro, up to four players can get together in supported modes for lively tennis battles. And with a choice of camera angles, there’ll be no more defeats blamed on having to play on the far side of the court – the TV and GamePad screen can each show a different end of the court, so both teams will always have the perfect view.

An array of gameplay modes offer plenty of opportunities for tennis tomfoolery:

• Knockout Challenge: Tense tiebreak matches against increasingly difficult computer-controlled opponents await in this single-player mode. If the going gets too tough, you can call in a supported amiibo as your doubles partner.
  • Mega Battle: Your character grows to gigantic proportions after grabbing a Mega Mushroom, dominating the court with their increased power and range. When rivals on both sides of the net are giant-sized, anything can happen!
  • Classic Tennis: For those who prefer their tennis a little more traditional, Classic Tennis offers two variations: Standard mode features Chance Shots and Jump Shots but no Mega Mushrooms, while Simple puts competitors between the tramlines with no Chance Shots or power-ups – a real test of tennis prowess.
  • Online multiplayer**: Go up against distant adversaries from all over the world in competitive ranked play in either Mega Battle or Classic Tennis modes, or quickly jump into more casual matches. Two players on the same console can team up to take on all-comers, or a supported amiibo can join you on as your doubles partner on the online courts.

As a limited launch offer, anyone who purchases Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash from Nintendo eShop in its first four weeks on sale will receive a download code for the Nintendo 64 game Mario Tennis on Wii U Virtual Console. This N64 title not only kick-started Mario’s tennis career, it also introduced the world to Waluigi for the very first time.

Compete to see who’s the top seed in your household, train up a compatible amiibo as a powerful doubles partner and match up against online opponents in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, coming to Wii U in Europe on November 20th. Two colourful new controller designs – Wii Remote Plus Toad and Wii Remote Plus Bowser – will also be available on the same day. To get a taste of the tennis action, check out the Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash trailer below:

First off, if you stop and think, if this hearkens back to MT64, then Gimmick stadiums are hidden bonuses, either a mode, or an addition, and the court attribute change may effect them as well.

Also I took a screenshot of the character screen, and honestly I think those blocks are just a general indicator not a precise one, or since a key part of tennis is doubles, what if each block contains a pair?

hEm5Ibn.jpg

That would bring us up to at least 8, and they promised new characterS not just a single one. going off colors Nabbit and Diddy Kong are possible, but then again colors could mean nothing. Characters with existing HD models are likely if they don't require outfits, for example the Koopalings. Heh, if I wanted to be optimistic I'd say K.Rool could be the green one XD

Also the game being slightly sparse isn't that surprising, this is Camelot making a HD game for the first time for Nintendo to get over their teething problems. I do wonder if Nintendo will ever decide to acquire them

Shy guy, nabbit, diddy Kong, bowser Jr.

Best bet its those guys. I really really hope there are no babies.

What if they do baby wario and baby waluigi?? It'd be funny as hell but I really don't want that lol

• Thumbs Up 1

The red block is obviously gonna be Pauline, blue/purple is Nabbit, yellow/gold is Gold Mario, green is Cranky Kong.

Yes, I'm just pulling these out of my butt.  Though, I do think Pauline would be a decent choice for this, or for Mario spin offs in general.

The red block is obviously gonna be Pauline, blue/purple is Nabbit, yellow/gold is Gold Mario, green is Cranky Kong.

Yes, I'm just pulling these out of my butt.  Though, I do think Pauline would be a decent choice for this, or for Mario spin offs in general.

So would Captain Syrup(although I think there's a theory that they are one in the same)

So would Captain Syrup(although I think there's a theory that they are one in the same)

If there is such a theory, then whoever came up with it is stupid.  There is no good reason to assume Pauline and Captain Syrup are the same person.

• Thumbs Up 2

If there is such a theory, then whoever came up with it is stupid.  There is no good reason to assume Pauline and Captain Syrup are the same person.

Well, they could be if you think about whole "Mario Characters are Actors" Line of thinking that's used to describe why they are friendly in spinoffs, and discrepancies between RPG and platformer versions. That and Pauline doesn't show up for the most part after Syrup shows up

Though on her own rights she would be a pretty fun addition to the spinoff games, we don't have many morally ambiguous female humans in the mario series

I don't think Pauline will happen. Or Captain Syrup. And sorry @Mando-Whirl-Wind but I can't just buy that those aren't a restriction on the number of characters. Maybe more as DLC, fine, but the last TWO Mario Tennis games have only had 4 unlockable characters. I do think at least two of them have to be new characters, so that means two are Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong, and Purple is probably Nabbit, leaving just either Green (assuming Bowser Jr. isn't green, and only his  shell is green anyway), or Yellow (I think this is probably Bowser Jr.)

Here's hoping we get new stadiums announced soon.

Please, PLEASE, no Baby characters!

Oh God let's hope. The only plausible candidates those could apply to anyway would be Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. There's no Pink for Baby Peach or anything like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The colors of those mystery boxes probably don't mean anything, I just acted like they did for the sake of a joke.  And just in case someone wants to say that it wasn't clear I was joking, I did explicitly say I pulled those predictions out of my butt.  Also, for the record, I don't actually expect Pauline to show up, I just mentioned her because she's one of the few possibilities I can think of that would genuinely be very interesting to see.  At least to me.

As far as actual character possibilities go, I'd say "prepare to be underwhelmed."  Mario's side games haven't exactly been doing an amazing job with new character inclusions.  Case in point, Mario Tennis Open.  Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Dry Bowser, and Luma as normal unlockable characters, Metal Mario and seven Yoshi palette swaps unlockable via QR codes.  Not amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The colors of those mystery boxes probably don't mean anything, I just acted like they did for the sake of a joke.  And just in case someone wants to say that it wasn't clear I was joking, I did explicitly say I pulled those predictions out of my butt.  Also, for the record, I don't actually expect Pauline to show up, I just mentioned her because she's one of the few possibilities I can think of that would genuinely be very interesting to see.  At least to me.

As far as actual character possibilities go, I'd say "prepare to be underwhelmed."  Mario's side games haven't exactly been doing an amazing job with new character inclusions.  Case in point, Mario Tennis Open.  Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Dry Bowser, and Luma as normal unlockable characters, Metal Mario and seven Yoshi palette swaps unlockable via QR codes.  Not amazing.

I'm not expecting anything particularly special other than that Camelot said there'd be new and surprising characters. That's about it. I think Bowser Jr. and Diddy are two of them, one is Nabbit, and the final is another new character (they tend to have a few new characters).

I suppose the color might not mean anything, though. I just wonder why even bother adding colors if that's the case.

I'm not expecting anything particularly special other than that Camelot said there'd be new and surprising characters. That's about it. I think Bowser Jr. and Diddy are two of them, one is Nabbit, and the final is another new character (they tend to have a few new characters).

I suppose the color might not mean anything, though. I just wonder why even bother adding colors if that's the case.

Even if they did say they were going to include new and surprising characters, that doesn't guarantee that they'll make amazing choices.  For example, they might pull a Mario Kart 7 and include new, surprising characters that are actually kind of lame or dumb and come at the expense of commonly used characters, like Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong.

As far as the colors go, I'd say they're there just because four differently colored boxes are more visually appealing than four of the same box.

Even if they did say they were going to include new and surprising characters, that doesn't guarantee that they'll make amazing choices.  For example, they might pull a Mario Kart 7 and include new, surprising characters that are actually kind of lame or dumb and come at the expense of commonly used characters, like Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong.

As far as the colors go, I'd say they're there just because four differently colored boxes are more visually appealing than four of the same box.

by same logic, so are the number of boxes, there are four to balance out the distribution of the shown characters, rather than representing the actual number of charcters

I have you know that I love Shy Guy, Lakitu, and Wiggler as racers. Queen Bee and Metal Mario can get lost though,

by same logic, so are the number of boxes, there are four to balance out the distribution of the shown characters, rather than representing the actual number of charcters

That could be the case, I just doubt it. Both the past two Mario Tennis games have had only four unlockables. And this is an HD game, and is being made on a budget by Camelot, who stated in the past they couldn't do HD games and now are. I think it makes a lot of sense that there's less characters, and Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong have been relegated to unlockables.

It would be nice if they simply decided to have more unlockables this time around, but I just doubt it. They'll probably have post-release DLC to have more content added later.

• Thumbs Up 2

That could be the case, I just doubt it. Both the past two Mario Tennis games have had only four unlockables. And this is an HD game, and is being made on a budget by Camelot, who stated in the past they couldn't do HD games and now are. I think it makes a lot of sense that there's less characters, and Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong have been relegated to unlockables.

It would be nice if they simply decided to have more unlockables this time around, but I just doubt it. They'll probably have post-release DLC to have more content added later.

Well, yes and no, while HD production is effecting it, previous spin-offs have been allowed to borrow existing models to speed up production or add in more characters, There is no reason for that to change especially with the HD challenge. Previous gen examples are Mario Kart Wii(biggest example being Funky Kong), in this case Mario Kart has the assets for the Koopalings already. Although a DLC expansion would be possible. If Mario Golf World Tour is an example, it's possible, especially if release was pushed up by Nintendo, and previous games have already proved there is a market, and want for it.

I just hope that we get Nintendo Selects at the end of the Wii-u that include all the DLC so it's not potentially lost some years down the line

Well that's definitely good news! Amiibo support, online and as a bonus Rosalina in a skirt (friggin finally) ~ This certainly mixes things up. 

Like others said I doubt the boxes mean anything specific,  but if anything I think at least Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong will be back.  I just hope like many others that there's no baby characters, but even worse stuff like "pink gold peach" xD Metal Mario is as much as I can stand, I don't want Diamond Rosalina and Emerald Yoshi next xP I guess they don't do that on the Tennis games, but ever since more and more metal characters came out on MK, I'm beggining to fear it'll transfer to other titles xD 

If the boxes had any actual meaning though... I'd go for ... *shiver* golden mario, shy guy, nabbit and bowser jr.

Technically, yes, you may be right, but it's not an all or nothing situation.  The number of boxes may or may not be significant, and the color of the boxes may or may not be significant.  One may be significant and the other may not be.  However, out of all the conclusions we can draw, "there will be four more characters" is a much more reasonable assumption than "there will be four more characters, and one will be yellow, one will be red, one will be blue, and the last will be green."  The latter is absurdly specific, to the point that it's almost guaranteed to be wrong.

I have you know that I love Shy Guy, Lakitu, and Wiggler as racers. Queen Bee and Metal Mario can get lost though,

Fair enough, but I still wouldn't say it was ok for any of those three to be included at Waluigi's expense.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another thing to consider, is that this isn't the final trailer, or at least isn't labeled as such, it could be that there are four more they plan on revealing... then again I'd say we'll know for sure when the full site goes up in a week or so

Well, Gamespot just ended the speculation real quick, and this is disappointing unless they plan to expand via DLC... heck even Nabbit isn't in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5YMG7W3c8&feature=player_detailpage

Bowser Jr, Toadette, Dry Bowser, and Sprixie

well that stinks

Edited by Mando-Whirl-Wind

Wow, I'm surprised by the amiibo support.

They're going the Smash Bros route with a trainable A.I character? Awesome! I loved training amiibo in Smash, so it'll be cool to see how they play here.

I might be sold on this game now. I'm a sucker for toy integration.

Welp, my favorite character got in so i'm happy :)

Edited by Whisper