Awoo.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force...?

Wraith

They had a range of original properties on the go before Nintendo stepped in, canned them and put them on Metroid duties. Then they got shifted over to DK. I would like to hope that Nintendo has decided to let them have another stab at an original IP, now that they're industry veterans with a pedigree. Then when that's out, they can get back to slaving in the Metroid Mines. :)

Anyways, if there is no new Prime in development, there had best be a new 2D Metroid in the works, or something just as good in a new IP, because this game won't work as a stop-gap for more than a year or so.

The problem with the original properties is they weren't getting anywhere with them. As for DK I was under the impression Retro chose to do DK, they weren't forced to do it. Regardless of whether they were forced to do Returns or not, they confirmed that they CHOSE to do Tropical Freeze.

Here's some footage of the game from the Nintendo Treehouse. It shows off a bit more of what it has too offer. Honestly, I think this game looks great and that there's a lot of fun to be had here.

I'll admit that the Super-Deformed -- I won't say "Chibi" since there's nothing cute about this game, but that's just me -- style does come across as a bit weird at first, but it's not abstaining me from enjoy what I see here.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with the original properties is they weren't getting anywhere with them. As for DK I was under the impression Retro chose to do DK, they weren't forced to do it. Regardless of whether they were forced to do Returns or not, they confirmed that they CHOSE to do Tropical Freeze.

Edited by Patticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Additional: Apparently, Retro has been confirmed to be making an unannounced Wii U game, that is definitely not DK. I don't know if that information is correct or not, but it did pique my interest.

Back to the Blast Balls...

I only heard it wasn't Metroid and uses a new engine. The rumor about them saying its not a DK game is probably due to it using a new engine, which would rule out another 2D DKC game; but not a 3D one. And I suppose technically Retro didn't state they weren't working on Metroid, but they did heavily imply it.

They'll probably have a Metroid in time for the NX launch. We have no idea WHEN its launching. I'd say its definitely no earlier than 2017. Even if there's not many games released next year (which I doubt; with Retro's game(s), Zelda Wii U, the known games from the first half of 2016 and other potential unannounced titles we definitely know there's more coming).

As for the wants of Nintendo's fanbase... that is quite massive, you know. Not everyone cares about Metroid. In fact, DKC Returns sold almost as much on its own as the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy. Not that Metroid sales are bad, they're quite good compared to Fire Emblem, but fans of the Metroid series often overrate how big Metroid actually is, and in Japan especially the franchise really isn't all that popular. (And believe it or not, DKC IS big in Japan; the only game that didn't do that well in Japan is Tropical Freeze, and the Wii U is god awful in Japan in general.)

But I digress.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd rather step away from Prime. Yes, they were outstanding games, but I want something new. I LIKED Other M's more involved shooting and enemies that required more thought, but it was ruined by being abe to spam the dodge button with no repercussions and the game as a whole was ruined by Sakamoto's idiotic ideas like Wiimote only and ESPECIALLY the story. I'd love if Metroid started building on the Other M combat and enemy variations, but with the negative reaction to the game as well as Sakamoto being in charge, I'm not seeing that happen.

• Thumbs Up 5

Here's some footage of the game from the Nintendo Treehouse. It shows off a bit more of what it has too offer. Honestly, I think this game looks great and that there's a lot of fun to be had here.

I'll admit that the Super-Deformed -- I won't say "Chibi" since there's nothing cute about this game, but that's just me -- style does come across as a bit weird at first, but it's not abstaining me from enjoy what I see here.

really the thing i'm more ticked off at is that fact that if this games doesn't have anything to offer other then what it shows this could be used as a way to expand the Metroid universe a little bit and maybe even start a line of games within the Metroid universe other then just samus related games

anyways I've always wanted to see what the federation are up to when samus ins't around so chances are i'll still get this game

but needless to say being a fan of the Metroid games knowing the game was the blast ball game that no one liked from the Nintendo world championship.made me wonder why Nintendo decided to release this game

I guess it's my time to show that Federation Force might not be the only Metroid game in development.

So, according to the posts in the spoiler tag below, Brad Maxim (a NLG's employee) was on 4chan's /v/ board the other day leaking information about Federation Force and other stuff. Someone else who worked at the company called him out for it and he stopped posting that night all together until this morning. It might be real due to the fact that Brad's linkedin which hosted information about him working at NLG for ages is now mysteriously gone and he's no longer listed on NLG's linkedin anymore.

yIaHWJS.png

Also, if you don't wanna read through a big list of posts, here's the main info he leaked:

- Alternative Weapons that you can equip at the start of certain missions includes the like of Metroid-styled Shotguns, Machine Guns and Semi-Automatics

- Normal Samus amiibo gives your character a samus outfit

- ANOTHER Metroid game in the works for the 3DS, 2D, Samus-based, Federation Force was chucked into the direct at the last minute because they wanted SOMETHING Metroid in there to please the fans

- Artstyle of the other game is similar to Federation Force but less chibi

- Blast Ball might be sold separately on the eShop in a similar way to how Kirby Triple Deluxe's minigames were sold on the eShop after launch

He also made some posts in the last hour on another Metroid thread

and has basically leaked that Next Level Games' Wii U project is apparently a Splatoon Sports Game

Federation Force was chucked into the direct at the last minute because they wanted SOMETHING Metroid in there to please the fans

Well that failed spectacularly.

...well, assuming any of this is true, of course.

He violated that NDA so hard, it's not even funny.

That pretty much confirms my suspicions. They Star Fox Adventured it. Nintendo has got to learn that does nothing more than piss people off, and turn them away from what otherwise may be an actually good game.

So, I checked the thread where he posted that Splatoon info and he's made another post. I'll just copy-paste it because if it's true, then the NX is gonna have a lot of cool shit going on behind the scenes for it.

"In all seriousness, I would like to share with you a plan they do have for the NX, something that's probably unexpected from Nintendo.

This is just a rumor I have been hearing so take this as you will, but it is likely that NST and Next Level Games will eventually become supervision studios for Nintendo's insane indie program they plan to unveil sometime during the NX.

Nintendo is planning on having a contest where a selection of independent developers will be given a list of Nintendo IPs that they could make a pitch for, the pitch goes successful, they're contracted to make the game.

The belief is that NST and Next Level Games will likely be assisting in development to mitigate any problems there might be from these inexperienced teams."

Thread link is here, just in case you were wondering. CTRL+F the number 299110313 for the specific post.

Imagine if you will, a world where Wayforward did a Metroid game, or Shin-En did a F-Zero game. it could actually happen.

EDIT: From Tamaki on Twitter (the guy who leaked the Uncharted Collection/Skylanders SuperChargers among other things):

Take it from me. That 4Chan rumour about Metroid Federation Force is a complete fabrication.

Oh well, nothing to see here folks. Still doesn't explain why Brad's Linkedin is down though.

Nintendo could and should be looking at which external development houses are doing very good work; teams with the talent to do justice to (and possibly even raise the profile of) Nintendo's less than stellar selling games.

Team Ninja's Other M was the product of just such a search, and given all the negative press, it was hard to see Nintendo trusting another developer like that for a long time. But isn't it always worth taking a risk and seeing what eyes and a fresh pair of hands can do to with old franchise? We got Metroid Prime because a chance was taken, we got F-Zero GX because an outside party was trusted (even if out of sad sales desperation). Now, with Next Level Games, we have Federation Force. I am disappointed that there isn't a proper Prime forthcoming, but I would like to hope that this is still good.

I'm sure at least the gameplay will be a solid effort, this is NLG after all!

What worries me though is that despite the good gameplay, critics are going to judge it on the fact that it doesn't look or feel like a Metroid game and then give it low scores just because of that. =[

I dunno if it changes the point any, but I still feel I should note that the current look of the game IS marked as WIP. The artstyle probably won't change much, but the same thing otherwise happened with Hyrule Warriors, and that game ended up looking a LOT prettier come the next E3 afterwards.

14-568x640.png

That's what I like about Nintendo - they're not afraid to show a game in a placeholder state instead of bullshotting it, because unlike most of the bigger hitters they seem to actually realize that the visuals can only get better over time.

• Thumbs Up 3

I fucking loled when I saw this during the direct. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens when this game gets released (seeing how bad this'll flop) or if it gets released at all.

Its going to released, should be interesting to see it finished. Honestly I think it'll turn out better than first impressions, and after actual time with it people will actually enjoy it. Just have to be paitent

• Thumbs Up 2

i dont follow the hype about this spinoff. if you could give me MPH2 maybe.

It's like the polar opposite of hype. It's nega-hype. Or even anti-hype. 

Heh. Nintendo finally did it. I can't find the Official Nintendo Trailer, where last time I checked, had over 65,000 dislikes. 

Heh. Nintendo finally did it. I can't find the Official Nintendo Trailer, where last time I checked, had over 65,000 dislikes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a shame this game is garnering such negativity. Can totally see where it's coming from though. 

Remember when 343 finally unveiled the trailer for Halo CE: Anniverary, but along with the trailer for Halo 4? I feel that's how Nintendo could have avoided such backlash - releasing it alongside a main series Metroid title. 

Personally I've always wanted a more standard FPS game in the Metroid universe where your in control of Federation Soldiers, but something more in-line with Star Wars: Republic Commando. Still, this is one for me tokeep my eyes on.

• Thumbs Up 2