Awoo.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force...?

Wraith

Sorry to double post, but this is an entirely different train than my previous one, its an interview, one that might interest some of you

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-what-metroid-primes-producer-wants-in-the-next-sequel

E3 2015: What Metroid Prime's Producer Wants In the Next Sequel

Federation Force is a potential step towards another sequel that builds on the relationship between Samus and Sylux.

By Jose OteroMetroid Prime Producer Kensuke Tanabe told IGN about an idea for another Samus adventure in the Metroid Prime universe.

We asked Tanabe if Metroid Prime Federation Force is the only Metroid Prime game he's working on. "I said this at the beginning, but I’m not involved in the 2D Metroid games that Mr. Sakamoto works on," Tanabe said. "I still feel like there's a little more work left for me to do in the Metroid Prime series. I can’t say when, but I want to make another one.

Tanabe reminded us about the ending of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. After Samus’s ship flies off into the distance, another ship suddenly appears. He said that players Metroid Prime Hunters should recognize that the ship belongs to a bounty hunter called Sylux. "He’s actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where that game ends," Tanabe said. "There’s still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]."

"I’m also thinking that, in that eventual game between Sylux and Samus that might get made, that I wants to involve the [Galactic] Federation as well," he said. "So it would be a good idea to release a game like Federation Forces to flesh out its role in the galaxy before moving on to that.

Metroid Prime Federation Force was announced this morning during Nintendo's E3 2015 Digital Event. It is being developed by Next Level Games. Tanabe describes the game as an extension of the Metroid Prime universe that focuses on the elite special forces of the Galactic Federation.

The curious part is this

"I said this at the beginning, but I’m not involved in the 2D Metroid games that Mr. Sakamoto works on,"

Now, may mean nothing, but that context makes it sound like there may be a new 2D Metroid in development

Also remember, this is a spinoff, there will be another main Metroid eventually

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to double post, but this is an entirely different train than my previous one, its an interview, one that might interest some of you

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-what-metroid-primes-producer-wants-in-the-next-sequel

The curious part is this

Now, may mean nothing, but that context makes it sound like there may be a new 2D Metroid in development

It shows he's got some idea, but I still don't think they're doing a new Metroid right now. If they had one in development, they would have announced it alongside this game, even if they barely showed anything about it. Instead, he brushes it aside and said "Yeah, I had some ideas, and I want to continue it eventually," exactly the same thing Retro Studios stated last year.

I don't think another Metroid game is in development... YET. This game does show they're still interested in the series at least, and they'll definitely make a new game, but I think its going to wait a bit longer. This game is just to tide things over until they can actually make one.

Federation Force is a potential step towards another sequel that builds on the relationship between Samus and Sylux.

... Sylux? This ship is Sylux's Delano after all?

I never expected they'd acknowledge the Corruption 100% ending. If this means we're getting Metroid Prime 4 if this game is successful then by all means, game of the year please, I want Metroid Prime 4 to happen.

... Sylux? This ship is Sylux's Delano after all?

I never expected they'd acknowledge the Corruption 100% ending. If this means we're getting Metroid Prime 4 if this game is successful then by all means, game of the year please, I want Metroid Prime 4 to happen.

I think Metroid Prime 4 will happen regardless, they just can't do it yet, or want to wait until the next console. I doubt they really expect this game to do all that well, its just to show Metroid isn't dead.

I think Metroid Prime 4 will happen regardless, they just can't do it yet, or want to wait until the next console. I doubt they really expect this game to do all that well, its just to show Metroid isn't dead.

Yeah it's kind of obvious it's just something to close the gap, but the fact that they acknowledge that they want Prime 4 to happen and that they have a potential story makes me hype. If this game rocks then there'll be more chance that Prime 4 will happen. 

Yeah it's kind of obvious it's just something to close the gap, but the fact that they acknowledge that they want Prime 4 to happen and that they have a potential story makes me hype. If this game rocks then there'll be more chance that Prime 4 will happen. 

The curious part is this

I seriously hope it means a 2D Metroid is being worked. It's the thing I want most, which means it's totally not being made, though.

I'd have thought Tanabe would be in charge of all Metroid, to be honest, especially after Sakamoto said he doesn't want to work on Metroid anymore. Not that I have a problem with it.

And let's not bring back Sylux. He's a lame character with a bland design from the worst Metroid game.

If they had simply revealed this after or alongside a new REAL Metroid game, everything would be fine. But they didn't and now everyone is mad, because whether or not you consider this or that about a new Metroid game, until one is announced nothing is going to take away the feeling of hate and pain that rushed through you when you saw "Metroid" followed by:

Screen_Shot_2015-06-16_at_9.25.36_AM.0.p

Argh, I was so dissappointed with this when it was shown off. Was hoping against all odds that Blast Ball would be it's own thing, but nope.

What bites the most for me, though, is not the fact that it's a chibi Metroid game, or the fact that it's a multiplayer spinoff. It's the fact that it's a Chibi Multiplayer Metroid spinoff.

What I mean is, the IP could have been so much more had it been regular Prime gameplay, graphics, and level design. It could have been a Multiplayer adventure game about the soldiers in the Federation, completing common goals on several open-ended alien worlds. It could have been Nintendo's Halo or CoD, but with the usual Nintendo twist. Not to mention making a series out of it would work great with Metroid's universe, as all the storytelling and dialog wouldn't intervene with the main series' alien isolation in any way.

*sigh* I guess I'll still buy it, since it's a multiplayer Metroid game, and my siblings love any chance they can get multiplayer in this series, but... I really don't like the direction they took.

This seems like a Metroid version of Triforce Adventure, only somehow even more cartoony. It looks alright, not bad by any means, but come on - couldn't we get a little hint at a proper Metroid?

I get the feeling that this is a stop-gap, meant to placate Metroid fans while they get the proper, big game(s) up to show quality. Next year should be a fucking great E3, with Zelda and Metroid both in attendance, but for now, we get this. I suppose it'll be fun, and Blast Ball looked fairly hectic and entertaining.

Interesting way of thinking about it.  I was also beginning to think of Triforce Heroes as a filler game to pass the time before Zelda U, and I think it's worth remembering that, because we know that Zelda U is in development, nobody is particularly interested in Triforce Heroes; well, it's more that flat-out nobody cares, the thread is on the second page right now, because people sense its utter irrelevance.  So I get the feeling that, if Nintendo had announced a proper Metroid game to be coming as well, people wouldn't be so angry about Federation Force but rather would ignore it instead.

With that said, relegating the 3DS to the filler zone while the real game is on Wii U isn't exactly going to please 3DS fans.  They might at least have done what they're doing with Zelda, which is stopgapping original games with remakes of bestsellers - off the top of my head, Super Metroid 3D would probably sell like gangbusters, especially since the current Metroidvania craze is mostly skipping the 3DS despite once having found its home on the Nintendo handheld line.

Also no, I didn't recognize Sylux's ship at the closing of Prime 3, because it looked radically different in Hunters:

LZP9hNC.jpg

So it being Sylux's ship is new news to me. Interesting news. I always just figured it was Dark Samus or someone.

Hopefully there's at least a 2D one in the works. In fact that would be better.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think my main beef with this is just how lifeless it looks.  Metroid isn't a series that reeks charisma but we all love Samus, Ridley, the Space Pirates, the Chozo, and of course, the Metroids, and that's enough for the most part.  The "personality" of the Metroid games comes through us becoming Samus, exploring the "character" of these desolate locations and fighting memorable bosses and enemies.

It looks like this game will have the classic Metroid boss fights but... everything else looks so dull and generic sci-fi, no real hook or originality to the visuals.  With chibi-space marines for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the 3DS Metroid game looks like a lot of fun. 

It's not a "real" Metroid game but it doesn't try to be one anyway. It's a Spin-Off centered around the Galactic Federation (it's even in the name) so it's ok that it's different. I think this game is also a good preparation for the next major Prime game. :)

I hope Nintendo does us and Mr. Tanabe a favour and helps him to make his vision come true.

Although that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be as much as cool to play a classic side-scroller Metroid game once again. ;)

I think once Retro is done with their current project(s) they'll start working on a new Metroid Prime game.

Now that the shock has died down, I am starting to think it looks maybe slightly more interesting, but to me it doesn't really look particularly like a Metroid game yet.  I don't get the sense that I particularly care for the game structure, for instance.

It looks like this game will have the classic Metroid boss fights but... everything else looks so dull and generic sci-fi, no real hook or originality to the visuals.  With chibi-space marines for some reason.

Exactly this. It looks so...generic, and we all know the Metroid series is FAR from generic! I know it's only a spin off, but at least have them share the same visual aesthetics!

As for the space marines, when I first saw them I swear they looked like robots. They don't look human mainly cos of those chibi proportions and they don't ooze personality or anything. So lifeless. .-.

The irony is that they made this into what people originally feared what Metroid Prime would be, and that is a generic dudebro action spaceshooter.

So that pretty much nixes the idea that Retro Studios has been working on a Prime series Metroid game for the last two years or so. They might be working on a 2D Metroid, but I'd say the more likely prospect is an original IP.

I don't know, I think it's equally like that it's another Donkey Kong since they did a Trilogy before.

I think Retro is working on a 3D DK. I'm really not sure about what else they could be doing, though, and with 100 employees I'm positive they're working on at least one other project.

You know this game looks fun for what it is. Im not as big of a metroid fan as you guys are right now I'm currently play super metroid and fusion(I'm enjoying them if your wondering) but I truly understand why people are angry and upset about this especially since this is the first metroid game we got in the last 5 years and it doesn't help that this is what next level games is working on so I get it. Im honestly surprised that nintendo still has the ratings and comments up especially since when a game gets a lot of backlash like this they usually remove them. Maybe this is a sign that they are listening?

They had a range of original properties on the go before Nintendo stepped in, canned them and put them on Metroid duties. Then they got shifted over to DK. I would like to hope that Nintendo has decided to let them have another stab at an original IP, now that they're industry veterans with a pedigree. Then when that's out, they can get back to slaving in the Metroid Mines. :)

Anyways, if there is no new Prime in development, there had best be a new 2D Metroid in the works, or something just as good in a new IP, because this game won't work as a stop-gap for more than a year or so.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's really not working right now as a stop-gap. In fact, I think it's only served to piss people off.