Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Okay the SEGA, let get this straight, you ditch a formula that has been working well from Sonic Unleashed all the way up to Generations and continue to play genre roulette with a style that was previously seeing the best acclaim and sales the series had in a decade, yet you decide to drop a direct sequel to a game that sold horribly, had mediocre reception, and is associated with one of the most panned games of this generation that was one of the biggest blows to your brands reputation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5kLqztDbw8

Well the change to their attitude had to start somewhere :V

That artwork is cool, except for how ridiculously awkward Knux looks...

Seriously, what is going on with that running position?

Not sure if it is running. I think the only one running is Sonic; the others are in standing poses. Knuckles looks like he's about to "Knuckles SMASH!" :D

Here's what I'm reading here."We made a castlevania game. Fans went "this isn't what we want". So we're trying to accomodate that."No insult to the fans. A honest admission of a genuine complaint. That conveniently excuses also having to say "also the game we made just last year was crap. What do you mean you ?" They ARE agreeing with the critics. Just not the parts where agreeing with them would be admitting the shit quality of the product they're implicitly trying to sell.

Fans didn't care that they were making a Castlevania game though. After E3 showed us how Rise of Lyric was going to release, people put their faith in Shattered Crystal as a decent little outing made by a different developer with Pontac and Graff writing it. The problems with the game are inherent to how it was coded and designed as a Castlevania game, not that it was simply slower than a normal Sonic game. Also, the writing was apparently shitty. Making a linear path through the game doesn't address these fundamental issues and gives us no insight as to how that will play and feel. So no, they're not actually addressing anything in a meaningful manner. Once again, devs boiled the blowback down to "Sonic fans just want speed!" without bothering to actually implement the criticism meaningfully. That is insulting, because it's an admission that they didn't listen. It's shitty PR.

I don't feel like the boost was working out. Colours and Generations were good, but I actually think the attempts to make them more platform-y didn't mesh well with the boost style's moveset and mechanics. After Generations in particular, I felt like it was a style that wasn't really going to stick around forever (though I was surprised it happened so soon).

Of course they could go back to the boost with the next game as if nothing happened, which wouldn't be...bad, exactly, but yeah. I've said this a million times it feels like, haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fuck is this shit?

I'm not even a huge fan of Sonic (as you all probably know by now) but this looks really amateurish. Why does Sonic 2 on my Android look better than this but costs £2.50 and originally came out over 20 years ago?

I see everyone here agrees with me so I'm not being over critical. And why are the character designs so hideous? It looks like something you would see from a knock-off foreign pirate toy shop. They all look like plasticine dolls! Is this just a handheld studio spinoff or something?

You think SEGA would treat their mascot with more respect

Well the change to their attitude had to start somewhere :V

Boosts my confidence that they started below the bottom of the barrel.

Looking at the promo art, where are their bracelet Enerloop things? I thought those were supposed to be a big deal in the Boom world?

And why is Tails channeling his inner Shadow?

Sonic is Hilarious:

30732d5ff6873365702776a56bf9a117.jpg

Is this Ruby Eclipse?

Sonic is Hilarious:

30732d5ff6873365702776a56bf9a117.jpg

I'm glad that Sega at least has a sense of humor, but like... it's not detracting from the actual point of content lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not even mad.

I'm so utterly dissapointed that I can't handle any feeling right now.

Thanks for ruining me SEGA. Maybe I'll never love again.

• Thumbs Up 1

So now that Boom Sonic is Modern Sonic, and normal is Classic/Legacy, what do we call the black-eyed tubby cute one? Original Sonic? Nah, that name would go to the mohawked, butt-browed American version, so what do we call the little cute one seen in Japanese marketing? Antique Sonic?

Okay the SEGA, let get this straight, you refuse to release DLC for Generations, one of the best received and selling games in the series, you ditch a formula that has been working well from Sonic Unleashed all the way up to Generations and continue to play genre roulette with a style that was previously seeing the best acclaim and sales the series had in a decade, yet you decide to drop a direct sequel that absolutely fucking none of us ever ask for to a game that sold horribly, had mediocre reception, and is associated with one of the most panned games of this generation that was one of the biggest blows to your brand's reputation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5kLqztDbw8

It's official, SEGA doesn't even care about profits anymore.  They're actively trying to kill Sonic.  They couldn't handle Sonic being appreciated by average gamers for too long

SEGA is Patrick Star. Patrick, despite seemingly being simply life-endangeringly stupid like SpongeBob, is really a sociopath who feigns stupidity so he can torture everyone he knows to death for the sake of it. See Mr. Enter's Top 10 Worst Patrick's a Prick episode to see why Patrick is a bigger Complete Monster than Mr. Krabs or Plankton. Like that, SEGA are a bigger Complete Monster than Activision or EA (though Konami and Zynga might be even worse), feigning idiocy so they can finish Sonic off.

Welcome to the Lilac Stadium.

tumblr_nmcpj3807o1trlyxoo1_1280.jpg

I'm not mad, I'm not disappointing, I'm not even apathetic. I'm just...laughing, extremely hard. At all of this. 

I have never been so amused by an announcement of a new game.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is not going to sell.

Neither did RoL or SC. That didn't stop SEGA. What's your point?
  • Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, I'm not surprised this happend; compared to both tittles, SC was the better game comparied to RoL, so the fact Sega got Sanzaru back to make another 3DS Boom tittle make since. The cartoon is still doing well, the toys are reportedly selling well and sales of the comic were good (before that got cancled :l); everything but the Wii U game was successful.

Another good thing is to consider the team working on this; Sanzaru. They didn't have the most time to work on SC (I think it was only one year?), so them having more time (as they 'finsihed' SC well before the games launch) to make this could help make it a better game. They also know how to fix issues in games, as Sly 4 easily showed this; they knew that Sly 3 had a big issue with a large cast of characters, so they went the Sonic Colors route for the gameplay; have the same character (Sly) but have different versions of him with a unique 'gimmick' (the color powers). Outside of only one character and Sly's friends, the core gameplay was mainly Sly's gameplay. In addition, the game world was expanded with more items to collect in the hubs, the levels was a mix of Sly 1 and 2 and the story was great. Overall, good game that really knew how to be a good Sly game :).

Going back to SC, Sanzaru now knows the issues with the game (large amount of back tracking, long levels, poor story), so they can easily fix them with this new game. Also helps that they have the core gameplay and engine in place thanks to SC; the games development can be even faster now.

Overall, I expect this to be a solid, fun platformer that while not the best Sonic in the series, still a fun enjoyable action platform to play on my 2DS :).

• Thumbs Up 2

I came in here, expecting to see a new, totally different mobile game of sorts, or if it was a console game, it'd be radically different from the other two games, but... they're actually sticking to their original formula??? Wow, that's the last thing I thought would happen. And from the sounds of it, they're improving the gameplay so that it's better than the first one. Huh. I've never really been interested or enjoyed this game, but that's good...

Because you know what that means?!?

Rise of Lyric's gameplay formula isn't completely dead! They can make more games like it that won't end up a glitchy mess! This is the best news ever!

hades-gif.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

What's your point?

It's a waste of time and money making shitty little games which won't sell because they are of poor quality and are being released on a device which won't shift enough units.

I shudder to think what the budget for Fire & Ice is.

I get the impression - in terms of the Booms games at least - that SEGA will be releasing a small game each year from now on, probably aimed at the 3DS and maybe mobile devices.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys, we need to chill out before things heat up, amirite.

We need to let off steam before things get to heated

I'm wondering though; does this mean that we aren't getting a 'big' console Sonic this year? Considering we are already getting a Wii U/3DS Mario & Sonic tittle, Sonic Runners on iOS sometime this year and this new Boom tittle on 3DS this fall, the year has a few Sonic games coming. I'm thinking that this means that the big console Sonic is coming next year (maybe we will get a tease this E3?) while these sets of games will cover for that this year.

If that is the case, disapointing but not a bad move overall. This will give Sonic Team another year to polish their new game, leading to a better end product :).

Oh man, I can just feel hear the puns already.

Well it's an easy way to break the ice

I think the one things I'm willing is to give Sanzaru a little benefit of the doubt and see if they really do make a sequel that is better than their previous attempt, especially after a couple of interviews they've done (one done for RadioSEGA). Personally, while Shattered Crystal was annoyingly mediocre it's by far the lesser of the two evils between the first two Boom games. At least they have worked on a few titles in the past, compared to Big Red Button, and look how that turned out.

So while I'm still not on board with another Boom game after the initial games' output and can't fathom why SEGA decided to make another Boom game a year later (unless it had something to do with the success that show is getting, but eeeeehhh) all I can say is that it's 3DS only and Sanzaru is 'hopefully' improving on Shattered Crystal's faults? I don't know.

Like last year I'm not hyped for this at all, but meeeeeeeeeh I wanna see if Sanzaru will really take the feedback and criticisms into account. If not, well SEGA (again) probably learned nothing. If it turns out slightly better than SC, I'll give Sanzaru some props and that's it. Still don't think another game should have been made (at least not this year, idk)

• Thumbs Up 1