Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

3 hours ago, Salamander said:

Other than that, I keep an open mind - largely because the things I really want are ones I don't seriously expect to show up, perhaps ever: Golden Sun 4, Etrian Odyssey Next Stage...

Those are literally the two things I want most, short of a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising. I'd even take a simple port job.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Those are literally the two things I want most, short of a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising. I'd even take a simple port job.

Regarding Etrian Odyssey, have you played Shin Megami Tensei V?  Very different sort of game, of course, but you can really tell that it's what the Etrian Odyssey team were put on instead of Next Stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

As usual, Motobug will be streaming the event for anyone looking to watch together live. 

As for expectations, I kinda have to admit, port wise, it’s got lowered since I got a Steam Deck. Given Nintendo’s screwups with early listings last night, it’s likely that Prime 4 is about to finally make a comeback, so I’d like to see a Prime Trilogy port already.

They weren't new games, but I am absolutely mind-boggled that both Etrian Odyssey and Golden Sun really did feature in this Direct.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was really impressed with that Nintendo Direct... mostly because they announced a whole bunch of games that ultimately will save me so much money that I no longer have to spend on the Wii U and 3DS eShops before they shut down! 😅 Great to see Advance Wars remake there, as well as Metroid Prime remaster.

Etrian Odyssey was a surprise for me too, might consider getting the collection (I did think about getting all the recent games on 3DS eShop, but I'm new to the series and wouldn't know where to start etc etc... so I'm thinking, if the first three games are being re-released anyway, the rest of them will soon follow on Switch so I probably won't bother now). Ghost Trick was another great surprise.

And obviously the Game Boy/GBA games on NSO was the icing on the cake for me. Saves me a lot of £££ on panicked FOMO-buying a bunch of Virtual Console games (although some of them, like the Zelda Oracle games, I already own on 3DS... come on Nintendo give me the deeper cuts! But then again they're opening with Mario Advance 4 so I'll thank them for that at least!).

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Salamander said:

Regarding Etrian Odyssey, have you played Shin Megami Tensei V?  Very different sort of game, of course, but you can really tell that it's what the Etrian Odyssey team were put on instead of Next Stage.

Yeah, SMTV was helmed by the same director so a lot of the series' ethos wound up in SMT, for better or for worse. But now we're almost ready for the Next Stage(tm), so I'm less conflicted about it!

image.jpeg.d327df5f4ed572e61dcd93a228e87192.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Etrian Odyssey Origins certainly makes some patented Atlus Decisions; crazy price point for remasters of games of which two out of three already have been remade.  It's generally been my understanding that the DS versions of EO1/2 aren't worth playing in their original forms?  And there's only so far that easier difficulty options and admittedly extensive QOL updates can mitigate that.  But still, I respect that they probably wanted parity with an EO3 rerelease - and I do hear that the remakes are basically completely different games in a lot of respects.  Definitely still going to get it, though, if only for EO3 and to support the series.  I'm just going to have to do my research first to be sure my team is actually viable...

Re: The Oracles games on NSO: I have seen it pointed out that this means that any chances of getting Grezzo remakes of the Oracles games à la Link's Awakening Switch are probably dead in the water, but I didn't see it happening anyway.  Hoping we'll get a new original 2D Zelda from them at some point, though; a spiritual sequel / third Oracles game would honestly be exactly what I'd want.

6 hours ago, Salamander said:

Etrian Odyssey Origins certainly makes some patented Atlus Decisions; crazy price point for remasters of games of which two out of three already have been remade.  It's generally been my understanding that the DS versions of EO1/2 aren't worth playing in their original forms?  And there's only so far that easier difficulty options and admittedly extensive QOL updates can mitigate that.  But still, I respect that they probably wanted parity with an EO3 rerelease - and I do hear that the remakes are basically completely different games in a lot of respects.  Definitely still going to get it, though, if only for EO3 and to support the series.  I'm just going to have to do my research first to be sure my team is actually viable...

Etrian Odyssey III is *finally* getting its long overdue postgame stratum battle theme, all of this port's faults are forgiven.

Seriously, I love Those That Slay and Fall 'n all, but using it for 2/3 of the game was just plain overkill.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Etrian Odyssey III is *finally* getting its long overdue postgame stratum battle theme, all of this port's faults are forgiven.

Seriously, I love Those That Slay and Fall 'n all, but using it for 2/3 of the game was just plain overkill.

Furthermore, apparently there was an official stream in the past few hours for Etrian Origins, and they outright confirmed a new game but it's been pushed back to 2024 owing to difficulties adapting to a single-screen format.  In other words, whatever we think of Origins, our long and hellish wait is nearly over.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Memelord2020 said:

Any predictions?

I saw the how do you link users part.

Technically speaking, you link them by typing "@" and then the name of the person you want to link to, if that is what you meant. For example...

@Memelord2020

Anyway, I am excited for this Direct! I wonder what will come out of it?

Honestly, I'm kind of good for games at the moment?  I could probably not buy anything new for the entire rest of the year and be fine just clearing my backlog.  So I guess I'll cross my fingers for maybe one game I'll want, and a bunch of others that other people will enjoy.  What a generous soul I am.

58 minutes ago, Memelord2020 said:

Any predictions?

Well, there is seemingly credible talk of a new...

Spoiler

2D Mario game.

Other than that... Hollow Knight: Silksong?  And it seems like there's a Square Enix RPG in just about every Nintendo Direct, so, let's say Final Fantasy Tactics remaster?

Anti-prediction: Not a peep out of Switch 2.

Nintendo's gonna be going through a bit of a dry spell for the year once Pikmin 4 is out the door, so I imagine we'll get some stuff later this year to rectify that. But there's plenty on the horizon in terms of third party support (not to mention the mountains of 2023 games that are already announced and that I have yet to play). I also can't say I'm hurting for anything new, but I will keep an eye out on the off chance one of my dream game announcements come to fruition.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Memelord2020 said:

Any predictions?

While I'm not a huge fan of Metroid. It's a about dang time we get info on Metroid Prime 4 now that Zelda TOTK is out. Unless this rumored/Leaked new 2D Mario game is real, I think it would be great to end off the Direct with some new info on Metroid Prime 4 or at least a release window. Though I almost guarantee the Direct will end with either the rumored/leaked 2D Mario game or some sort of TOTK DLC announcement. 

5 hours ago, Memelord2020 said:

Any predictions?

Honestly for the first time ever I think I’m at a loss. Nintendo’s gone through every IP this gen so far and there’s nothing left but surprises until the next hardware comes out. So whatever they announce here is gravy for me.

I might be in the market for a new 2D Mario. But I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I’m tired of the New Super Mario Bros style now. Let’s have something a bit more interesting!

Hopes and Dreams: I’d like there to be more Wii U and GameCube ports of things. That can be a good way for Nintendo to keep things low-key while giving some exciting new games. Really enjoyed how Metroid Prime Remastered was done. Let’s have some more GC games done like that. Eternal Darkness?

• Thumbs Up 4

As with past events, Motobug will be providing a stream for SSMB members to watch the Direct together live.

As for predictions, personally I really would love the TTYD HD rumour from a few months ago to be true, but let's face it, it won't happen lmfao. Some new GBA announcements for that service would be nice. 

I suspect we'll see Prime 4. I know, "lol", but Bayo 3 news came out pretty quick once it was given a release date, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing Prime 4 announced with gameplay for the big Winter title after TOTK. Prime 2 Remaster could be possible too, though. Given that Ubisoft have gone ahead and accidentally given away a new console might be in development, I could see Prime 4 as the big final showstopper for the original Switch, perhaps.

Honestly, usually my usual suspects of stuff I want took a hit after the Steam Deck, when a lot of the remastered stuff I'd like, I could just play portably on it. 

Prediction-wise, the only thing that's coming to mind for me is possibly some more details and/or a release date for some soon-to-arrive DLC, namely for Splatoon, Mario + Rabbids and Pokemon. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what could show up.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I'd like to see? (but likely won't). Ok so my pipe dreams are:

- F-Zero - GX Remake / Remaster or something new. But this feels like new console territory now if it ever happens.

- StarFox Zero - Underrated gem that is trapped on a console barely anyone bought. The Dual screen idea was neat and worked when you became accustomed to it - but really the game itself deserves a regular control scheme (like how they implemented one with Skyward Sword HD) and deserves to be unvaulted for the current gen system now it has a large user base. 

- A new Mario entry - Unlikely an odyssey successor is coming to this console this late in its life, but there are rumours of a new style 2D game? Hopefully not in the "New" range. Would be hilarious if it tied into the Movie. 

- Zelda Twilight Princess HD / Wind Waker HD - Every year we ask where you are. EVERY YEAR. 

- Zelda Tears of the Kingdom DLC - the game is big enough that it already feels like a GOTY edition. But I'd still welcome more, bring back Kass, add in the runes from the last game as extras, and maybe give me more explorable sky islands or areas in the depths Nintendo. I'd be happy with anything you throw my way at this stage. the game is amazing.

- Xenoblade Chronicles X - Another game that's tied to a dead system. Considering the entire trilogy is now available on Switch, it makes sense to me to have X be ported to sit alongside it's bigger brothers and sisters.

- Xenoblade Warriors - A spinoff with potential that narratively makes too much it would be weird if it didn't happen.

- Metroid Prime 4 - Just an update, really anything would be welcome. 

- Metroid Prime 2 / 3 Remastered - Please just announce you are actually doing to these what you did to the original Nintendo, these deserve the same treatment before Prime 4 comes out. 

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Wave 5 - The only thing that can be safely expected today.  

Well, I got what I wanted: Lots of interesting games, very few of which I actually feel compelled to play.  Maybe the not-HD2D Star Ocean, or the new Dragon Quest Monsters?  Always the long RPGs with me, sigh...

• Thumbs Up 1

Very Happy to see Mario RPG and Luigi's mansion dark moon getting the remaster treatment. Warioware Move it looks nice and happy to see more Warioware games on switch. And Super Mario Bros Wonder looks really fun huge fan of the art style and was very surprised to see Daisy be playable. Also very happy to see all Pikmin games on switch now. Can't wait to play them at some point. Overall I was very impressed with this Direct and I am super excited for all the games coming out this and next year.