Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

We have a new direct coming tomorrow at 5pm EST/10pm GMT/2pm PST. As usual, Motobug will be streaming it for anyone looking to watch it live with other SSMB members.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, this time it'll be Advance Wars, surely!  Actually, there are a few big-name strategy games releasing on Switch in the next few months (Triangle Strategy is a month away and has never skipped a Direct, and there's the Switch port of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim), so they could even do a triple feature.  (They will not do a triple feature.)

We're also just in time for the prophesied Silksong February shadowdrop!  Please do not shadowdrop Silksong, I bought so many 3DS RPGs I missed the first time around...  In fact just don't release anything else I find interesting for the rest of the year...

Edit: Put on my gravestone that I was found entombed beneath a pile of classic RPGs.

So my thoughts on some of the reveals that stuck out:

-opening up with fire emblem warriors 2 uh…ok

-MARIO STRIKERS IS BACK BABY 

-Kirby don’t eat that nasty ass car. (But seriously tho, loving how they basically Re-incorporated the whole cappy gimmick, but personalized it for Kirby in a unique way! Game looks amazing!)

-A Disney free to play Kart racer…eh. The only reason I’m keeping an eye on it is for the inevitable Sora & friends drop. 
-Fuck Ubisoft 

-Force Unleashed 1 being on switch is great…sad about 2 not being there

-I’m DEFINITELY picking up Portal 1 & 2. Hopefully this leads to more valve games on switch 

-I joked for YEARS about a Wii play/Sports switch follow up, but they actually are doing it…fuck yes. Just…I love it. (Tho wtf are those ugly ass avatars?)

-that commercial for The Show was so fucking bad. The announcer sounded actually drunk while reading it

-The MK8 DLC…yknow I can kinda see this being what the rumors were saying about a “smash Mario kart”. It looks like they’re bringing basically every stage back to the game through this, so in a way, yeah this is basically the smash ultimate of Mario kart in the “everyone is here” respect, but for stages. And yeah, lol a whole lot of dlc for a 5 year old game, let’s go. Sega it’s not too late for Generations…ok it’s is but, not for ASRT.

- XENO.FUCKING.BLADE. CHRONICLES. 3 

AGHHHGDGHU! It looks so fucking good!

overall, I liked what was there for the most part. Lack of Zelda isn’t too surprising in retrospect. Botw 2 is probably being saved for a June direct (along with a Zelda collection or somethin), and the games probably releasing 2023. I’m more than happy with them ending on XC3. Tho yeah it’s did feel a bit…padded out? Like did we really need to see Wii volleyball badly shown off guys? 

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

-A Disney free to play Kart racer…eh. The only reason I’m keeping an eye on it is for the inevitable Sora & friends drop. 

Is it really inevitable? Cool as that would be.

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The MK8 DLC…yknow I can kinda see this being what the rumors were saying about a “smash Mario kart”. It looks like they’re bringing basically every stage back to the game through this, so in a way, yeah this is basically the smash ultimate of Mario kart in the “everyone is here” respect, but for stages. And yeah, lol a whole lot of dlc for a 5 year old game, let’s go. Sega it’s not too late for Generations…ok it’s is but, not for ASRT.

Not too surprised there.

Tracks in mario kart are more the equivalent to characters in Smash.

20 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Is it really inevitable? Cool as that would be

Disney DEFINITELY saw the response to the Sora reveal trailer in Smash, and have seen KH’s popularity explode ever since 3, so if they’re jumping into the gaming market with a free to play racing game and pushing it on a game console like the switch, right after again the Sora reveal, they’d be crazy not to capitalize on that at some point. It’s a easy way to get a lot of gamers attention. It’s not like they’re outright against KH content in their Disney crossover games. There was the keyblade showing up in Infinity, and apparently from what I remember there were talks of 4.0 potentially including more KH content (as the secret item I believed always hinted at the next big updates focus) before that all got scrapped and the game got dropped 

Top-drawer direct for me as an old-school RPG fan.  I have long been intrigued by Live A Live, so that it's getting an HD2D remake is fantastic (and apparently rather unexpected).  The Chrono Cross remaster and even Front Mission are tempting, but this year is looking as though I'm going to be really pushed for time so they're likely to get pushed to the "maybe" pile - though it's great that we're getting a Radical Dreamers localisation as part of the package.  The Triangle Strategy demo looks to have the usual generosity of Team Asano demos; the opening hours plus save data carryover is pretty much the ultimate form of demo, really.

Square Enix were kind of all over today's Direct; in the Japanese version they even announced an FMV murder mystery.  Fingers crossed for a localisation, but if we could get Death Come True, I should hope we'll get this.  (And apparently it has subsequently been confirmed.  Wow, when you get to see the full English-language trailer, the concept is most exciting!)

Advance Wars finally reappears; doesn't look obviously different from last time we saw it, so I wonder what the delay was in aid of.  Hold-ups with the voice-acting would be believable, honestly, given the state of the pandemic in recent months.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Zaysho hasn’t made a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 topic yet. Are they still hyping over it lol?

Guess this is my cue to watch a no commentary let’s play of XC2 (I refuse to actually buy and play it, there’s just a lot I don’t like about it both in gameplay and story compared to the first game, especially after definitive edition. I’m so sorry Zay lol)

'Twas a pretty fine Direct overall. The highlights for me were the announcements for Mario Strikers, Portal 1&2 and The Force Unleashed (though I'm a bit disappointed it's the Wii version getting ported over, instead of the HD version).

11 hours ago, KHCast said:

@Zaysho hasn’t made a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 topic yet. Are they still hyping over it lol?

Guess this is my cue to watch a no commentary let’s play of XC2 (I refuse to actually buy and play it, there’s just a lot I don’t like about it both in gameplay and story compared to the first game, especially after definitive edition. I’m so sorry Zay lol)

Was actually planning on it but didn't have time because I knew I'd want to write a bunch lol. XC3 is the culmination of everything Monolith has been working toward, practically since Xenogears, and I'm just so happy their vision is getting one step closer to it.

And it's fine I get it's not for everyone though I genuinely think 2 and X are better than 1 and I've always felt that way (but I think DE is a massive improvement for 1 in virtually every category). That's not saying much because they're all great games but even just comparing DE to the other two it fell a bit for me. 2 is still worth giving a chance at least watching it because while it has its rough edges and some rushed elements to it, the characters are some of my favorites. I ain't gonna twist your arm though; after four years I don't have the energy as long as people can be normal about it.

That's really odd. I'm also on the side where I thought that the weakest entry of the series so far is the first one. The last two entries improved many aspects substantially I'd say.

• 2 months later...

Around when E3 would have been, yes.  It's just a good time to talk about the second half of the year's games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I imagine Nintendo Directs require a lot of planning which is done months in advance, so it's pretty likely that there will be a direct when E3 would have been.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

See, these are the leaks I like, ones that are...actual leaks and not "mister pisshands says Sonic 17 will release in 2021"

Can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 2

Now you see I already guessed that they would have a Direct next Wednesday since they go last in E3 or SGF.

As you can see from how that link was taken down shortly after being posted, though the email is real, it had nothing that specifically mentions a Direct beyond straw grasping.  That content creator that posted has likely flushed his career down the drain by doing that, seeing how their account is gone as well.

Now as we close in on Wednesday pass the point where there'd usually be an offical announcement by now, insiders scramble to find another release date lock on to.

The new leading theory claims it will be two weeks later. The insider specified it'll be the 29th, but note that's also a shareholder meeting at the same time. Some say it will air the 28th in certain timezones, so there's a chance there'll air just before the meeting

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's my insider information to give to every other insider ever:

Spoiler

It'll come when it comes. Touch some fucking grass and stop claiming to have insider info about Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope this is all we get this Summer so I can watch the Nintendo fans cry more.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

14 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I hope this is all we get this Summer so I can watch the Nintendo fans cry more.

look I'm happy that we're getting a Xenoblade direct too

but I'm also desperate for anything Splatoon 3 related right now

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Nix said:

look I'm happy that we're getting a Xenoblade direct too

but I'm also desperate for anything Splatoon 3 related right now

Splatoon 2 got a direct to itself weeks before the game came out so I don't think this precludes that or a general Direct happening.

But I also don't care if we see something later because I keep getting subjected to braindead takes on my feed regardless of what I do from Nintendo fans who are salty about this and Fire Emblem getting completely normal marketing.

• Thumbs Up 4