Awoo.

Star Wars Battlefront - Developed By DICE (2015; PS4, XB1, PC)

Willsy

Also, how much you want to bet we'll get some prequel content via season pass since they want to milk us so badly

I really doubt they will include prequel content in the season pass. It's very clear that they want to focus on the original trilogy (which I welcome, I've really gone off the prequels). I could see Rebels and maaaaybe more Force Awakens DLC though.

You mean prequel era, aka home of the Clone Wars, aka home of an era that the younger audiences are most familiar with and home to a ton of super iconic battles and locations AKA the era chosen to be the default starter pack for Disney Infinity?

You mean prequel era, aka home of the Clone Wars, aka home of an era that the younger audiences are most familiar with and home to a ton of super iconic battles and locations AKA the era chosen to be the default starter pack for Disney Infinity?

And that's just that, Disney Infinity is marketed towards young kids. Whereas Battlefront is marketed towards teens and above. I'd love for there to be prequel battles as well as space battles, more planets and maps and a single player from the get go, but that ain't happening. Unless EA finally cave in, make a sequel and keep all those elements for the sequel season pass

The Prequel films were terrible but the material worked well for games. Battlefront not having the prequels would only make sense if they made the game very deep and intricate, but the game isn't: it's as shallow as fuck compared to Battlefront 1 and 2. There's no excuse for not having the Clone Wars.

The obvious answer is Clone Wars DLC but that would actually take effort, so EA probably won't allow it. 

Edited by Regen
  • Thumbs Up 4

Endor looks absolutely stunning, I was becoming concerned but they really did save the best for last. 

That wasn't even a matter of "balance", the player just outright sucked.

Let's go through it

1) Radar Dish - He got flanked from behind, he should've been checking. The radar only highlights enemies who shoot.

2) Inside the hanger - He got shot by a fucking AT-AT.

3) The rebels had captured the second set of uplinks so the hangar is now the rebels spawn. Plus the guy ran STRAIGHT AT THE ENEMY!

4) If the other team were in the air then he wouldn't be able to "kill people indoors." Which is next to impossible to do anyway due to how small the openings are! And the "too playable" bit was pointless as there'd be no point in being away from the battle.

5) He managed to get killed by a sniper rifle at close range.

That whole video was just pointless nitpicking.

• Thumbs Up 1

A nice trailer overall. Covered the planets and heroes quite well. Seems Walker Assault really is the flagship mode of Battlefront, as it was heavily used in the trailer.
Not that I mind, since Walker Assault is great fun.

When the Rebel team actually knows what they are doing, it's entirely possible to absolutely steamroll The Empire. I think there just needs to be more of an obstacle for The Empire, that's the only balancing issue here. Maybe make uplink deactivation significantly slower and make the tower turrets only accesible to Rebels. In my opinion, that would perfectly balance the mode. 

• 2 weeks later...

So a bunch more gameplay was released today. Including looks at Tattooine, Endor and Heroes!

Can it just be out already? :P 

Endor looks absolutely spectacular, in terms of map design and visuals. Seems that speeder bikes spawn on the map too, as opposed to being tokens (unless they are getting rid of tokens for ground vehicles, which would be preferable for me). I really just want this to come out already, I'm having withdrawal symptoms. :P

Edited by The Dog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Endor looks absolutely spectacular, in terms of map design and visuals. Seems that speeder bikes spawn on the map too, as opposed to being tokens (unless they are getting rid of tokens for ground vehicles, which would be preferable for me). I really just want this to come out already, I'm having withdrawal symptoms. :P

Endor is looking to be my favourite planet too. Although I'm also loving the variety of maps on Tattooine, such as going underneath the sandcrawler or the map with the Skiffs and Sarlaac Pit!

Speeder Bikes are the only vehicles that aren't power ups which is nice. Although saying that I prefer aerial vehicles being power ups as it stops stuff like the other team/trolls blowing them up as they spawn.

Endor is looking to be my favourite planet too. Although I'm also loving the variety of maps on Tattooine, such as going underneath the sandcrawler or the map with the Skiffs and Sarlaac Pit!

Speeder Bikes are the only vehicles that aren't power ups which is nice. Although saying that I prefer aerial vehicles being power ups as it stops stuff like the other team/trolls blowing them up as they spawn.

I think making fighters power ups was a really good call. It would be cool if AT-ST's were also just placed on the map but that could cause similar issues to what you said. It worked for Speeder Bikes as they were used by both the Rebels and the Empire in RotJ.  

• Thumbs Up 1

EA might have gotten Reddit mods to censor anyone critical of the game. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161421-EA-Rep-Allegedly-Bribed-Reddit-To-Remove-Negative-Star-Wars-Battlefront 

The "source" where this all spiralled from was an ex-mod of the Battlefront Sub-Reddit called Unwanted_Commentary who is bitter that he was removed, turns out he was crazy and an elitist who had tried to hack the sub before. 

The "source" where this all spiralled from was an ex-mod of the Battlefront Sub-Reddit called Unwanted_Commentary who is bitter that he was removed, turns out he was crazy and an elitist who had tried to hack the sub before. 

Source?

Used up most of my ten hours of the Battlefront EA Access trial.

The game is great fun all round. The maps all feel great to play on, the modes are mostly good fun, and it's good to know that the Empire can't access all areas on Walker Assault to spawn attack rebels now. Only thing I do have to say is that there are an awful lot of new things to play around with, and the jump pack doesn't get unlocked until level 13, meaning a lot more options for battle which you may come to like more once you do have access to the jump pack and decide to stick with them.

Now to think very carefully how I want to spend these last twenty minutes on the trial.

• Thumbs Up 1

My impressions on the game so far; Simple but fun, and its authenticity to the Star Wars franchise is unparalleled, however it should not have been priced as a AAA game. The game feels as though it doesn't have enough meat to it in terms of maps, I'm fine with the lack of campaign but there isn't really enough multiplayer content to compensate for that. While there are two free maps (a big one us confirmed) coming next month, I feel that Walker Assault and Supremacy should have had at least six maps rather than four. The season pass is something of an insult because of this. However the game is a lot of fun and certainly has its moments, and basically everything aside from the shortage of content is great.   

7/10: Recommended but not at full price. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just gonna copy & paste from a status update:

Unsurprisingly, the best modes in Battlefront so far seem to be the ones that revolve around Heroes. Hero Hunt and (especially) Hereos vs. Villains are a blast, although the latter can take a while.

My impressions so far: it's definitely not the Battlefront 3 I had been dreaming of for ten years, but I'm still liking what we've gotten. I have mixed feelings on the starships and I think the lack of single-player content ultimately hurts it, but multiplayer is generally a blast. I'll probably write a full review sometime later in the week/early next week.

So in terms of critical reception so far, the PS4 version is currently at 77 on Metacritic while XB1 is 74. All things considered, that's not bad. 

I'm not bothered by the lack of single player campaign, Battlefront always had a godawful campaign. The loss of Instant Action though, for both single player and splitscreen, that's pretty bollocks.

I'm a gigantic Battlefront fan so I have a lot of problems with what I've seen of this game. Why are Vehicles power-ups? Where is Conquest Mode, the 'Battlefront' Mode of Battlefront? Where is Galactic Conquest? Why are there so few maps? Why is there no Clone Wars? Why are there no Space Battles ala BF2? Why have the Classes been axed? Why are there so few weapons?

I could go on and on. The game looks okay, I really like how they have handled the heroes, but overall this game is disappointing to me.

Edited by Regen
  • Thumbs Up 2