Awoo.

Star Wars Battlefront - Developed By DICE (2015; PS4, XB1, PC)

Willsy

Since the last thread was lost with the server wipe, and the full reveal of the game coming tomrrow, I thought I would make a new thread. For those of you who are not familiar with Star Wars Battlefront, it is a series of third person/first person shooters set within the Star Wars universe, often allowing players to act out iconic battles from the Star Wars saga such as The Battle of Hoth or Endor. The series received quite a few agmes including two main games on 6th gen (Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront 2), as well as a couple of games on PSP (one of them being on Nintendo DS). There was supposed to be a Star Wars Battlefront 3, though tragically, it went through the worst kind of development hell and when it was finally nearing completion under the helm of the studio Free Radical, LucasArts pulled the plug on the project. 

Fast forward to E3 2013, where it was announced that the series would be getting a much anticipated revival under the helm of DICE, the creators and developers of the popular Battlefield franchise. Since then there has not been much information regarding the project. However, it was announced that Star Wars Battlefront would be at Star Wars Celebration in Anahiem, along with EA and Playstation, and that the game would be getting a full reveal there. This week, the official EA Star Wars Instagram account has been releasing peices of a teaser poster over the past few days. 

http://i.imgur.com/qy2vSRQ.jpg

Also, an interesting quote from DICE earlier on this year:

We’ve been showing the game to some close partners and one of the things we hear is that it doesn’t feel like other shooters and that it’s fully born from Star Wars. That really strikes a chord with me and the team as that is exactly the emotion and feeling we are going for and we can’t wait to show the world more this spring.

Older media of the game:

https://youtu.be/Cmo-YYoHnGs

https://youtu.be/2yKv45X_OIo

Anyway, as a massive fan of Star Wars and the Battlefront games, I am extrememly hyped for this. I also really like Battlefield and since the developers of that series are behind this, I am very curious to see what they will do with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh yeah. I forgot the thread was lost during the wipe.

The feeling of hype is getting too much. The Battlefront series is one of my all time favourite game series, and I seriously hope this new one can live up to them.

I am so stoked for tomorrow's reveal. Hopefully EA doesn't make DICE rush the game out of the door like with Battlefield 4 otherwise heads will roll.

Hype hype HYPE. Can't wait to finally see more of this game besides some random making of trailer we got at last year's E3. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is one of my favourite FPS games ever and if this is anything like that then I gots to get myself a next gen console soon (or a more powerful PC)!

Don't mess this up EA and DICE!

EA + Dice

Yeah, I'm not excited. After Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4, there's just no way I can be excited for the game. If it's not buggy and incomplete on release then I'll be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

EA + Dice

Yeah, I'm not excited. After Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4, there's just no way I can be excited for the game. If it's not buggy and incomplete on release then I'll be surprised.

If I recall correctly, this is a different team to Battlefield 3 and 4. That team is currently working on Battlefield 5. DICE Sweden are doing Battlefront.

If I recall correctly, this is a different team to Battlefield 3 and 4. That team is currently working on Battlefield 5. DICE Sweden are doing Battlefront.

DICE Sweden is the main studio while DICE Los Angeles is the sub-division. The sub-division helps with main development, but they aren't exclusively developing games. DICE LA helped develop BF4 and BF Hardline. Anyways, the studio isn't really the problem. It's more of a problem with EA itself and the scale these games work at. It took over a year of patches for Battlefield 4 to become a truly stable game.

I just find it silly how people are always going on about how they're going to boycott EA or boycott Ubisoft but then line up first in line for their next title. I take most of these boycotts with a grain of salt considering how each new release continues to blow out previous pre-order records. There's also the infamous "Boycott Call of Duty PC" meme where almost everyone in the group ended up buying the game with Steam recording that they were playing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I have heard, the launch of Hardline actually went quite well, though the issue was more with the game itself being too similar to Battlefield 4 (which shouldn't be a problem for Battlefront, since it's been described by early viewers as Star Wars through and through). Will it have issues at launch? I sure as hell hope not, it's not impossible, but I find it unlikely that they will mess up such a crucial launch (since the game is launching around the same time as Episode VII.) They also only have to focus on PS4, XB1, and PC this time, as opposed to BF4 where they had to develop for 5 platforms. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm...I am a bit skeptical after seeing the most recent endeavors by the company making this game, as well as EA's attachment to the project (fuck EA), but given that the first two Battlefront games were such a big part of my childhood, I'm still pretty stoked to see what this has in store, really.

I don't know how to feel right now. Maybe I'll lower my expectations just to be safe, or maybe I'll just risk hopping aboard the hype train and ride it as far as I can until release :P 

These are the kind of decisions that I deem to be of pressing concern. What am I doing with my life

It looks like a blurry blown up mess on consoles? Man, technology has come far these days. :rolleyes:

Game looks amazing. I mean, it looks really amazing. Battlefield 3 and 4 are very pretty games but this is definitely a step up.

swbf_newsmedia_headerixj98.jpg

That's definitely a supersampled bullshot but if the assets can match it we're in for a hell of a looker that'll be capable of looking that good on PC. Here's hoping.

I don't think it's a bullshot. Looking closely, the rock geometry and textures have some imperfections and the Scout Trooper definitely looks gamey to me. It looks fantastic but I don't think the screenshot is necessarily a bullshot. Another thing to consider is that this is using a new version of Frostbite 3, and they don't have to focus on keeping it within the capabilities of last gen. I think it's possible.

I don't think it's a bullshot. Looking closely, the rock geometry and textures have some imperfections and the Scout Trooper definitely looks gamey to me. It looks fantastic but I don't think the screenshot is necessarily a bullshot. Another thing to consider is that this is using a new version of Frostbite 3, and they don't have to focus on keeping it within the capabilities of last gen. I think it's possible.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just saying it's obviously been supersampled on a much stronger machine than the PS4. This is what 8K shrunk down to 1080p looks like.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't feel that's a 1:1 screenshot. I need to see it in motion before I can judge it, but I'd be surprised if the game looks like that.

lol

y'all should play DRIVECLUB or The Order if you think this isn't actually possible

16878793662_f700d76056_b.jpg

16672642817_d7079d817f_b.jpg

SRY4kRa.jpg

l1yzJN8.jpg

Don't listen to Discoid. At least play a good game if you want good graphics.
 inFAMOUS_SecondSon_NoSpoil-5.png

infamous-second-son-e3-2013-hd3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Don't listen to Discoid. At least play a good game if you want good graphics.

bruh

The Order sure whatever but DRIVECLUB is fuckin rad you shut your face

infamous was really dumb 

i mean it was ok 

but it was really really dumb it really wasn't that good there are way better ps4 games

like driveclub and the order

we're off topic

• Thumbs Up 7

I only ever played the demo for Battlefront II.

That said, I am cautiously optimistic for this. Probably because I like Star Wars.

Same here, I actually have the Steam and PSP versions now. I might play them later on.

its gonna be the Game of the generation fools. can't wait to flying out people off map with the rocket launcher. lol.

So about that screenshot.....this is going to raise a few eyebrows but I think the PS4 could possibly pull it off in single player. The PS4 already has titles like Killzone Shadowfall (which is a good point of reference because it's also an FPS) and The Order which in terms of graphics look stunning, and that seems to be the range that Battlefront is in. There is also something circulating on GAF about DICE using "some serious magic" to get the game to where it is. I could see a Killzone scenario where the campaign is 1080p 60fps but the multiplayer is sub-1080p with more jaggies, but still at 60fps. This is a new version of Frostbite and it's a very capable engine so I don't think it's impossible, especially when there are some visual imperfections like Battlefield 4 rock geometry. It still looks absolutely stunning but I can tell that it's not been faked. The 10 seconds of the trailer however? It looks far too fluid and 'staged' to be actual gameplay, even on PC.

Also, various Playstation accounts in Twitter are tweeting that they will be at the Celebration event, and a DICE employee is saying that they will be upfront about the platform. So it looks like Sony might have the marketing for this (which possibly means a bundle). A Darth Vader PS4 would be so cool....