Awoo.

20th Century Fox's Deadpool movie

Gabz Girl

I have to agree with Andre here. I'm definitely gonna go see this. Hopefully it makes a ton of money.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The movie was fantastic! The comedy was brilliant throughout and the action was kickass! Deadpool has been done justice with this one and Ryan Reynolds is perfect. One of the most entertaining Marvel films for me. Your in for a fun ride :) 

Just got back from the cinema and I enjoyed the film a fair bit! Reynolds absolutely nails the role.

The only little issue I had was maybe spending a bit too long in the lab. I understand it was meant to make the audience hate Francis and show just how much torture Wade went through, but it was a little slow-paced in a film otherwise packed with quick-fire wit, action or direction. That aside, it was very entertaining.

One of the, if not the, best Marvel movies to date. Reynolds did a fantastic job as Deadpool. And the references, and self aware jokes oh my god haha. Just amazing! Civil War? What's that?(I kid, still hyped for that, but Deadpool needs to show up in Avengers 3 for the hell of it now lol)

Solid movie. Small stakes and a focused yet predictable story. First act is absolutely fantastic, switching between great Deadpool and Wade Wilson material. Deadpool is absolutely on fire and jokes keep you laughing - second act is where things start to try and get grounded and it loses some momentum there. Wade Wilson One Liners™ populate this section rather than over the top comedy stylings of Deadpool which seem so clustered to the start, and it's all confined to what feels like one set for a long time. The third act tries to balance the two again with mixed results. Rather than feelings like an over the top zany parody of a superhero, Deadpool sometimes feels like a anti-hero with the occasional one liner. 

I think something the movie did (possibly unintentionally) was separate this grounded character (Wade) from the zany Deadpool with slightly different comedy stylings. Wade Wilson spits out a lot of one liners like Spider-Man would but rarely, if ever, breaks the fourth wall or anything crazy. Wade's much more grounded in juxtaposition to Deadpool, but I think we lack the Deadpooliness to compensate for that. It relies on the love story to keep Wade's story engaging which you'll have to decide yourself is something good enough to hold onto. Perhaps the segregation is to emphasise the slight difference in the comedy stylings tonally - the first act does this pretty well, but after that we're so focused on Wade and his girl's story that the Deadpool personality comedy is turned down a bit and is far and few inbetween, especially when the love interest is involved in the conflict.

Reynolds was absolutely perfect, the casting couldn't have been any better. The love story was ok? They were cute but it wasn't very original. Likeable girl even if she fitted the damsel in distress shoe a little too easily for my tastes. The villain is okay too but he doesn't really go very deep, his sidekick being literally nothing but "angry". The X-Men helpers aren't that great either if only to provide some comedic relief for Deadpool. The movie felt a little short too - like it was just over, but I wanted more? I put that down to the smaller stakes. You can tell it had a smaller budget than today's average superhero affair. 

The action sequences were decent. Again, the best of it is in the opening, and you've seen a lot of it in the trailers. The climactic fight between Wade and the villain doesn't feel all that grand. For all of its self referential comedy about superhero movies it follows plenty of the conventions. Soundtrack is pretty ballin, enough typical orchestral affair mixed in with some songs you've heard in trailers. The movie has a lot of moments you'll walk away with remembering with a chuckle which is good. 

Overall? A good launch point for the character to go bigger, better and crazier next time. I just hope when it tries to deconstruct the superhero movie in the future with comedy it does so by subverting the cliches rather than indulging in plenty of them. The opening half hour is the highlight of the whole thing, it's fantastic. Here's hoping the sequel has more Deadpool and less Wade Wilson, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Holy cow. I read a bunch of the comics for a few years and knew a thing or too about Deadpool (not read as much about any other character). So going in knowing the characters was a plus. Even without it though, this movie was great. So many good jokes, so many memorable characters and overall just amazing job. I enjoyed it thoroughly and hope to see more in a while. (Note, so many people in my theatre ran off in the credits. Why would people do that in a Marvel film?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely solid and hilarious film! The jokes and 4th wall breaks were great and I absolutely loved the characters, especially Deadpool himself.

I won't give anything away, but be sure to stick around after the credits for a surprise.

On February 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Detective Tenth Doctor said:

Holy cow. I read a bunch of the comics for a few years and knew a thing or too about Deadpool (not read as much about any other character). So going in knowing the characters was a plus. Even without it though, this movie was great. So many good jokes, so many memorable characters and overall just amazing job. I enjoyed it thoroughly and hope to see more in a while. (Note, so many people in my theatre ran off in the credits. Why would people do that in a Marvel film?)

The same thing happened with me! I don't get why people haven't figured this out yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hilarious movie. Villains was bland, drama could be better, yadada, but who cares? Deapool is so funny that all those stuff are unimportant.

Except one thing. The movie did one change that at first I thought wasn't that important, but looking back, might been detrimental for the story.

They made Wade crazy BEFORE the experiment.

Now I know WHY they did it: to make more jokes. To give Wade personality. For that weirdly cute relationship with Vanessa. But on the other hand, that means that experiment didn't do anything to him. I felt really bad for him when he was caged by Francis. But by the end of the movie he's fine, has girl and powers. Is a little ugly, but so what?

I mean, wouldn't it be much more heartbreaking if he was a normal guy and the tortures made him go wacko? It would be similar to Adventure Time

Spoiler

When Simon went crazy because of the crown. It's sad, but I still laugh when he's funny.

• 1 month later...

A wonderful, brilliant movie. I love the whole...self-referential/4th wall breaking kinda thing that some films have, and this film just blew me away. Except whats-his-face from Game of Thrones being too bland as a villain, but part of me suspects that it was intentional to piss take the 'serious villian' trope in films.

• 10 months later...