Awoo.

Super Smash Brothers Tournament Discussion

VO.SUPER

HUNGRYBOX WINS AGAINST PPMD! Man; talk about an unexpected clutch right there. Good job Hungrybox!

• Thumbs Up 1

Another day gone by. I'd say it was a pretty good session, though I wish AMSA didn't wipe so hard against PewPewU. At least PPMD beat him. (I'm salty. :P)

• Thumbs Up 1

M2K vs Mango and Hungrybox vs Armada tomorrow, hell yeah.

edit: scratch that, it's Fly Amanita vs Hungrybox. Armada is in losers vs PPMP. That's what I get for making assumptions before the brackets are updated I guess.

Scratch that, Armada is now in Fly's place on the bracket and Fly is in losers so I guess somebody at EVO messed up while organizing the bracket.

• Thumbs Up 2

Winners Bracket:
Mew2King vs Mango
Hungrybox vs Armada

Losers Bracket:
PPMD vs Fly Amanita
Axe vs Silent Wolf

A quick rundown on the players;

Mew2King
Commonly nicknamed "The Robot", Mew2King is one of the most renown Melee players, as well as the most methodical one by far, known for his pinpoint analysis on Smash mechanics and for generally being ahead of the curve. M2K singlehandedly catapulted Meta Knight to the ever-since unwavered #1 on the Tier Spot in Brawl after he dominated tournaments with newfound tech. He has since abandoned Brawl to focus on Melee and preparing to take Smash 4 by storm. The "methodical" statement can not be expressed enough with him, as he's the most calculating player on the brackets, never once missing a beat on a situation and commonly taking advantage of field edges despite them being considered disadvantageous to players.

Chance of winning:

He was once considered to be one of the best Melee players in the world for good reasons. His biggest threat on the brackets is Armada, who had a five-year long winning streak to hold against him until M2K finally managed to break that streak earlier this year at a singles tournament. M2K also has a strong rivalry with Mango who has scored several upsets on him. His chances are high.

Mango
The champion of EVO 2013. Mango was at one point considered to be the best in the world after the aforementioned upset on M2K, which was followed by even more victories, culminating in him beating out Armada. Mango's playstyle can be considered the polar opposite of M2K. Instead of relying on results, his approach is one almost entirely reliant on style. This has come with a lot of ramifications however, as it has resulted quite a lot of times in several self destructs. His performances have been relatively inconsistent, and a large portion of the community consider him to play badly due to him focusing primarily on putting on a good show for the audience.
Chance of winning:

Mango's strengths lie in his unpredictability, which is arguably also a bit of a weakness. While it makes him hard to read, it makes it equally possible to take advantage of some shortcomings. Notably, he was almost sent to the losers bracket this tournament after Axe's Pikachu took him to a best-of-three after he managed to take a couple of stock leads in low percentages. Mango's biggest threat is his rival Armada. Despite scoring an upset last year at the EVO Grand Finals, the community still considers Armada the better player of the two. His chances are relatively high.

Hungrybox
The second-place winner of the Smash Invitational. He was once noted to be one of few who managed to beat out Armada's Peach consistently until Armada came with the strat to use Young Link only whenever facing him, upon which Armada has had consistent wins. HB is a notable Jigglypuff player who is quite liked in the community, particularly for his friendly attitude, but despite this he has received a rather large degree of notoriety on account of being a relatively "cheap" player, constantly abusing many of Jigglypuff's disjointed hitboxes for easy hits and combos.
Chance of winning:

Hungrybox stands a strong chance of losing right out of the gate due to going against Armada. Hungrybox's play is very predictable, but it's not deniable that it is effective, and he has managed to edge out Mango in the past. His chances are average.

Armada
Hailing from Sweden, Armada is considered to be the best Peach player in the world and the best Smash player in Europe. He's commonly grouped with M2K, Mango, Hungrybox and PPMD as the "five gods" of Smash as it were. Armada is responsible for redefining Peach in the competitive scene and is most notorious for holding a five-year long win streak against Mew2King up until earlier this year.
Chance of winning:

Out of all the players in the brackets, Armada is the one with the most consistently favorable winning results. The only players who currently stand the best chance of winning against him are PPMD and Mango, the latter having beaten him in a surprising upset last year. Both Armada and Mango have had varying victories against each other since, with Mango having beaten him in the MLG Anaheim 2014 and Kings of Cali 4 Grand Finals, while Armada had beaten him in the CEO 2014 Grand Finals. His chances are very high.

PPMD
Dr. Peepee is considered to be the best Falco main in the world at the moment, though he has also dabbled with Marth, with whom he has beaten M2K, Armada and Leffen in the past with. He was noted to be one of the only Falcos who could ever score a win on Hungrybox's Jigglypuff, and at a point in 2013 he would go half a year without losing any tourney he attended. Also has a bit of a rivalry with Armada.
Chance of winning:

PeePee has had good experience with all the top names involved and stands a good chance against most of them when paired up with general standings and results.

Fly Amanita
After Wobbles retired from competitive play, Fly was there to take up the mantle as the best Ice Climbers player in the world. He's one of the highest ranking players currently on the SoCal Melee Power Ranking and has shown good amounts of prowess.
Chance of winning:

Despite being a great Ice Climbers player, Fly's professional tournament placements have been relatively low in comparison to some bigger names. The character in general also stands at a disadvantage towards most of the characters currently on the roster. His odds are below average.

Silent Wolf
The Washington counterpart to Mango, commonly considered the best player in that city. He has beaten Mango in the past, and much like Mango he takes a mostly technical and flashy play style.
Chance of winning:

Much like Fly, his tournament placings don't stack up that well compared to most players occupying the brackets.

Axe
Axe is a Melee player credited for pushing Pikachu up the tier list positions and known most for taking wins against high profile players using lower tier characters. As such he has a surprising amount of experience against many top players.

Chance of winning:

Axe has had consistently high tournament placings, but never any solid wins. There is a good chance the same will happen here. Earlier in EVO he almost managed to beat out Mango before he lost out to a tiebreaker. His startup match against Silent Wolf puts him at a possible bit of an advantage due to his experience with Mango. A possible concern is whether or not he will fill the void that Shroomed did last year, where a promising player in the Top 8 loses out once the competitors realize they hold a statistical character advantage.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's pretty much between the top five. Mango and Armada are both really great players, and while lots of people hold Hungrybox's reputation as a top five player in doubt I think he's shown recently that he's more than capable of going up against the others, same goes for PPMD. M2K is really inconsistent but I'd say at his best he can beat anybody. That said he's going up against Mango who's a pretty big weakness for him, so he stands a strong chance of being sent to the losers bracket.

M2K is greatly affected by the environment around him and is easily influenced. It just takes one bad moment to throw his game off. However, at his top he is a monster. 

Mango is also a pretty big weakness for M2K because his unpredictability is pretty much the polar opposite of M2K's "calculating" playstyle. It puts him in this mindset of what the "best" move would be, and it gets to him when his opponent doesn't follow that.

• Thumbs Up 1

OH WOW HUNGRYBOX TAKES IT OVER ARMADA!  That's insane!  I don't even think he himself can believe.  HBox played immaculately.  That third game was incredibly convincing.

Is this going to become a reality?

sWS8Nv6.gif

This was an actually shocking upset.

I'm expecting Mango to take the EVO Champs again now unless M2K snuffs him out, which I have my doubts about.

Give Fly a round of applause people! He worked well through it for a guy who didn't use any wobbling.

• Thumbs Up 2

OH MY GOD AXE PLEASE.

That 4 stock on game 3 vs SilentWolf was absolutely disgusting.  Man took two stocks before he even took a hit.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah, poor Axe. I hate it when the underdogs get thrown out by the tops. I give the man credit though, he came farther than most other players have. And this EVO final has been surprisingly diverse with it's character line up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, poor Axe. I hate it when the underdogs get thrown out by the tops. I give the man credit though, he came farther than most other players have. And this EVO final has been surprisingly diverse with it's character line up. 

He kept it insanely close though in that last match.  He was literally one Up Smash away from victory and then Armada threw a curveball with the Up Throw to Up Air.

Heck Axe placed the same as Mew2King, that's truly a testament to how incredibly good he is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, sometimes it's like Hungrybox flew into all of Mango's upairs and upsmashes as he was falling. Why gravitate towards your opponent when your opponent can send you flying with a sneeze?!