Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Huh what? I think Travis is doing a great job with Knuckles this time around. o_o He doesn't sound like he's trying hard to mimic Dan Green, which is a positive in my book!

Yeah, it's a positive that he's going for more range. I guess I feel uncomfortable with the thought of him using that voice on Knuckles in the official games as well.

Because I mean, Roger, Colleen and Cindy are doing much better-ranged voices this time which I'd like to hear more often in the official games, but something about that high-pitched gruff voice Boom!Knuckles has just doesn't gel with how I'd like to hear Sega!Knuckles. XD Mostly just me thinking ahead to future games, really.

After looking at the new gameplay footage....I have to say the game looks promising again :).

While the gameplay still looks way to similar to Jak and Daxter then a Sonic game (I was hoping for a mix of the two, not just one over the other :(), the presentation looks just as great as I expected it too :D. The Eggman boss fight dialog and animation wise looked great (Eggman getting more and more pissed was great), Sonic flat out being a jerk to his team works great as it opens the doors to some great dialog, and the chatter amongst the team really gives this new universe some life that is missing from the games (though I still think they talk way too much; the 'speed' section was really annoying :().

I have hope the Wii U game will be great, as it has the potential and the team to make it great, but if it isn't at the very least we will get one of the more interesting stories in the Sonic series :).

The graphics don't look bad either. Nothing mind blowing, but certainly nothing terrible. The lighting effects look really nice, though that's not really a surprise since the Wii U apparently does really well in the lighting department.

Here is the original B-Roll footage... pause the video at 0:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdaGYQIh0DE

Here is the new footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srz_xVXat3I

Pause it at 1:23.

Just look at the difference.

For those who were saying when the B-Roll first came out 'the graphics look fine' and all that... this new footage shows clearly how bad that B-Roll video was. The main level texture was missing! How on earth was this footage even allowed to be given to the press!? 

Sega, if you intend to try and fix some of the damage that the original B-Roll has done, upload the new video to your press site right now. Should point out the original B-Roll is still not on there, even though it has it's own section and all the other E3 assets are.

Though it still seems like it's missing textures and materials which should be there, whilst there's a slight improvement in the Eggman fight, it's nowhere near as noticeable as urm... do we have a name for that running zone yet? 

• Thumbs Up 4

Here is the new footage.

For those who were saying when the B-Roll first came out 'the graphics look fine' and all that... this new footage shows clearly how bad that B-Roll video was. The main level texture was missing! How on earth was this footage even allowed to be given to the press!? 

Sega, if you intend to try and fix some of the damage that the original B-Roll has done, upload the new video to your press site right now. Should point out the original B-Roll is still not on there, even though it has it's own section and all the other E3 assets are.

Though it still seems like it's missing textures and materials which should be there, whilst there's a slight improvement in the Eggman fight, it's nowhere near as noticeable as urm... do we have a name for that running zone yet? 

Honestly, that footage now makes me want the game :D going to have to wait to see the final build, but I'm starting to want this game, I like solid platformer/brawlers, and the co-ops a nice bonus 

Oh my, that is pretty. Also, I'll be completely honest, the speed sections legitimately look the better than they've ever been in the series, automated or not. Don't know what it is, it just looks... smoother.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh my, that is pretty. Also, I'll be completely honest, the speed sections legitimately look the better than they've ever been in the series, automated or not. Don't know what it is, it just looks... smoother.

I really don't see how it can be smoother when the camera jerks around almost every time the characters change direction.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Here is the new footage.

This only lends more to my "Sega wants this game to fail" theory lol

But yea, that looks much better and appealing, my faith in the game has been somewhat restored.

I think the running section looks fun, and they are apparently supposed to get very different later on in the game. I'm happy that you can at least move left to right normally rather than just quick stepping.

As for the B roll looking like crap and the E3 demo looking a lot better...

I really don't see how it can be smoother when the camera jerks around almost every time the characters change direction.

Referring more about the sense of speed it has. It isn't like Unleashed and such where your brain barely registers half the things moving past you.

Here is the new footage.

Gotta admit that looking at the running section in the E3 footage, it looks a whole lot more fun than it did before.

Gotta admit that looking at the running section in the E3 footage, it looks a whole lot more fun than it did before.

The problem is that it still looks very automated and suffering from 'Am I playing this game?' syndrome. There's boost pads and springs all over the place.

But my god, there's no way you can joke lol PS2 graphics since that stage sure as hell doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it did, that's the problem the B-Roll had originally, so many were put off by how it looked.

Though after watching the whole thing... they really need to tone the voices down, yeah they're in character and some are funny, but they really are overdoing it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've cancelled my GAME order and pre ordered from Amazon France again. It's not much more anyway, and I don't have to wait almost a week for delivery.

The Pit actually looks....dare I say it.....fun? I don't know, I just like the idea of pushing a minecart around, I usually enjoy puzzles like that. It's slow but it looks enjoyable at least.

Here is the new footage.

I gotta make an article of this. This is too different.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well my fears about repeated dialogue during boss battles has already been confirmed.  There's no reason for Sonic to say "let's bring him down to our level" twice in the exact same way in one boss battle.

It's not a huge deal but just... sad to see yet another game go by without the developers caring about this sort of detail.  Guess I should've known from Amy's "NICE KILL SONIC" over and over again though.

I gotta make an article of this. This is too different.

There is something I do want people to be clear on.

I'm quite sure that both these trailers come from the same build. A couple of reasons for this.

1: They both contain the same demo/level content and cut off points.

2: Several animation's and movements are the same (the playthroughs are different) when the player moves through certain parts of the stage.

3: What I believe has happened is this.

The press have been invited to a press event (I would hedge my bets it was that trip to London that Aaron Webber and Steven Frost went on a few weeks back). They've been given the E3 demo/shown it, as well as the E3 assets and then an embargo.

However, at some point, they've been given B-Roll footage from Sega (remember this still isn't available on their own press site and has never been on there), it's from the E3 demo... but... for reasons we don't understand, the textures, shaders, lighting, particle effects have been either disabled completely, or set to such a low level that it looks completely terrible.

Have you all seen what's going on with watch_dogs right now? Specifically this...

1402943413586ngopq.jpg

That's what I think has happened here. They set their effect settings to 0, then filmed it, and sent it out to press along with an embargo date...

But... why? 

Having played games in alpha and beta which have these settings set to 0/disabled or very low. There is NO CHANCE you could make this mistake. It just doesn't happen, there is no way this would happen. You would instantly know when these effects were disabled or not. It just doesn't happen, there is no way you would make this mistake.

So why did it happen? There's nothing at all to suggest it's a different build, also it would be very risky to let the public have a new build than what was demoed since that version would have been the most stable code they were confident with. 

Among all this discussion of graphics, I'm most focused on the piece of dialogue that strikes me as possible forshadowing.

"It's like these tracks were built for me."

Ten bucks says Sonic does something in the past that somehow involves those tracks eventually being built, among all the other things that will probably involve the past.

Grandfather paradoxes are delicious!

• Thumbs Up 6

As a programmer I get what you're getting at- but what are you insinuating? That someone purposely turned these settings off? Or are you just stating these are the same build? 

I'm kinda tired. I'll probably get it later or something.

As a programmer I get what you're getting at- but what are you insinuating? That someone purposely turned these settings off? Or are you just stating these are the same build? 

I'm kinda tired. I'll probably get it later or something.

Basically.

Both videos are from the same build, but are obviously different playthroughs.

1 has the effects/settings turned on, the other doesn't. 

The one which doesn't have the 'make it look pretty mode' turned on got recorded and sent to the press. 

I really do hope they do something to stop the annoying repetitive dialogue and how they don't shut up... ever. EVER.

I mean, I love in-game chatter. I do. I love hearing characters talk, but they don't need to comment on every goddamn thing. And when it repeats "NICE KILL SONIC!" or anything over and over again, you can damn well bet it's going to take away from the game.

A little while, it's fine, but all the time? Everywhere? lolno.

Maybe it was an accident ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) but really I wonder why they'd do that besides obvious reasons. 

I really like the looks of the spindash animation though, one thing they really nailed is animation! 

Basically.

Both videos are from the same build, but are obviously different playthroughs.

1 has the effects/settings turned on, the other doesn't. 

The one which doesn't have the 'make it look pretty mode' turned on got recorded and sent to the press. 

....You don't think Sega of Japan did that on spite, right?

I remember reading and watching many articles/videos on the development of Sonic Xtreme and the main reason why the game went though development hell was because of Sega Japan outright refusing to let Sega of America make the damn game X(. I mean, I recall they used the Nights Engine at one point and had the game running great on the Saturn but Naka was furious about that to the point of forcing the Xtreme team to start from scratch....again :(.

I don't think that BRB faced issues nearly as badly as this (at this day and age, if developers were treat THAT badly, they would just leave the project and do something else; these guys could work on tons of other projects is they wanted to), but considering the B-Roll footage and the E3 Demo look like Night and Day....maybe a situation like the one I'm describing happened here :(.

There was also that comment made a while back that Sonic Booms success would determine the level of control Sega America has with the Sonic IP....so maybe, maybe Sega Japan is doing something to try to sabotage the game in the West.

Then again...this IS coming to Japan, so I really don't know :l.

I really do hope they do something to stop the annoying repetitive dialogue and how they don't shut up... ever. EVER.

I mean, I love in-game chatter. I do. I love hearing characters talk, but they don't need to comment on every goddamn thing. And when it repeats "NICE KILL SONIC!" or anything over and over again, you can damn well bet it's going to take away from the game.

A little while, it's fine, but all the time? Everywhere? lolno.

Hopefully they have the option to turn the voices off. I can see what BRB is trying to do, they want the characters to interact with each other and character development and such but I can also see this becoming an big issue especially when the characters never shuts up and they keep repeating the same dialogue.

About the repeated dialogue, perhaps they recorded more for the specific situations but didn't have time to put it in the demo before getting it out for E3. I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.

I honestly like that Sonic is a bit of a dick in this game. God knows Sega Sonic needs a little bit of that attitude nowadays.

The gameplay still hasn't convinced me, but I'll wait till I play the game on SDCC to make my final decision.

• Thumbs Up 3