Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

The games are standalone from what we know.

Tv show is after said games.

A new branch of the franchise.

More story driven.

I think it's more just listening to the wrong sources and such, nothing said so far is contradictory to the original statements. So eh.

While Sonic & Knuckles seems like they'll have the better dynamic of the game, I hope Tails and Amy aren't overshadowed as a result.

After Taxman said to buy this game...

YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!!!

!!!!

Sonic 4: Episode 3 Confirmed

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realized that in the E3 Trailer Sonic isn't there in the, group surrounded by enemies, shot. Hmm interesting.

There's a good chance this could be story-related, but again, it's likely just a trailer thing.

So what's the reason for the title change in Japan, exactly?

Probably because it better emphasises a few things. Calling it 'Sonic Toon' in Japan is akin to calling Sonic X 'Sonic Anime' in the West, so it makes it obvious that it's based on the TV show, that it's American and that it's separate to the existing series. It makes sense and probably doesn't sound as daft to them as it does to us.

Still, I do have to wonder why they did a 180 on it over there. Part of me has to wonder if for some reason they're going back on the idea of Boom being a 'branch-series' and instead making it the new series face. It's already a huge initiative. To keep it out of Japan seemed odd already. Hmm... Not saying that I think SEGA Sonic is ending at all, but I won't be at all surprised if Boom becomes the primary brand now.

Wait, someone suggested that Amy's art had been altered to soften her features. Can someone check this?

Wait, someone suggested that Amy's art had been altered to soften her features. Can someone check this?

It's true, but it's not just Amy. I can't post pictures cause I'm on my phone, but if you compare the same art on the English site here http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/en to the Japanese site here http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicToon/ you'll see that both Amy and Tails mouths signifcantly better and much smaller on the Japanese one. I can't see any other difference though.

Still, I do have to wonder why they did a 180 on it over there. Part of me has to wonder if for some reason they're going back on the idea of Boom being a 'branch-series' and instead making it the new series face. It's already a huge initiative. To keep it out of Japan seemed odd already. Hmm... Not saying that I think SEGA Sonic is ending at all, but I won't be at all surprised if Boom becomes the primary brand now.

I've been thinking this since the start. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think SEGA Sonic will be around for much longer if Boom is a success.

If Boom goes way beyond Sega's expectations, even in Japan then yeah...SEGA Sonic will be in trouble. But would I mind? Considering SEGA Sonic is going down the tubes? I don't know. If that happens though, it will most likely be because of the TV series and not the Wii U title because of so much negativity.

But 'the negativity' surrounding the RoL will be thrown out the window if the sales for the game also turn out pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it is coming out in Japan after all? Well that's a sudden decision, though it makes sense to call it Sonic Toon since it's based on the cartoon and is American. I wonder if Junichi and co will reprise their roles in the cartoon and games.

It's true, but it's not just Amy. I can't post pictures cause I'm on my phone, but if you compare the same art on the English site here http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/en to the Japanese site here http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicToon/ you'll see that both Amy and Tails mouths signifcantly better and much smaller on the Japanese one. I can't see any other difference though.

I think they've reduced the creepiness in the second image and that's about it. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

If Boom goes way beyond Sega's expectations, even in Japan then yeah...SEGA Sonic will be in trouble. But would I mind? Considering SEGA Sonic is going down the tubes? 

In what way?

In what way?

It's literally going down the tubes.

Soniclostworlde3610jpg.jpg

Part of me wants to say the real test of Boom as a franchise will be how the TV show performs, and how any potential sequel to Rise of Lyric improves on it if the original is poor. It's interesting to watch it all play out, but I'm still quite down about it all really. And if RoL ends up being mediocre or worse upon release, that'll probably speak loudest of all.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wait....Sonic going down tubes..

....Who else do we know that travels through tubes?

Nintendo buyout of SEGA confirmed.

To be honest I think the TV show will get more limelight. And it should, as far as I'm concerned, it's the main attraction of the Boom initiative.

The TV show is the main attraction to Boom but I think the games is what most people will be looking at since Sonic is a videogame character plus it looks like SEGA is advertising the games more then the show at the moment.  

That and the games seem to have an actual overarching plot that's been missing from the series for quite some time. Not that the TV show won't good, in fact I'm looking forward to it more than the game, but I wanna see how they handle the cast in this new universe in a somewhat serious setting.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Sonic Boom is going to replace Sega Sonic for different reasons. First, it's tied to the TV show which is not going to last forever. Second, and I hate to say this, the first two games of this branch seem like they are not going to break the mold or records (though they might do decently). And third, the Japanese branch is too proud to let the American branch come and take command.

To me, the release of Sonic Boom in Japan screams "we spend millions of dollars on this, so why not release it everywhere we can."

This game is gonna be amazing! Plus, since it's a different universe, It's cool that the gang are meeting each other for the first time all in one game. Better than how the old games took one game to introduce a new character (2-Tails, CD-Amy/Metal Sonic, 3-Knuckles).

This game is gonna be amazing! Plus, since it's a different universe, It's cool that the gang are meeting each other for the first time all in one game. Better than how the old games took one game to introduce a new character (2-Tails, CD-Amy/Metal Sonic, 3-Knuckles).

I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere that the Core Four already knew each other and were friends before the game starts. This is just their first big adventure together.

I'd thought since Sonic starts off as a loner that he don't have that many/no friends.

I'm pretty sure he just prefers working alone and doesn't think he needs the help of his friends. That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't like hanging out with someone on the weekends between fights with Eggman.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I swear it's been stated somewhere they were already friends, or at least knew each other beforehand.

That looks much much better.

+1 for Team Optomistic