Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Maybe this game is a sequel to Sonic Generations

sonic_generations_time_eater_by_superale

CLASSIC SONIC BOOM CONFIRMED

Obviously Boom Sonic's ancestor is modern Sonic from the Sega timeline.

It can't end like that though, because Shatterd Crystal also includes Lyric and that comes after Rise.

I think that's part of the overall story arc. It's like a middle story in between the big story.

I think that's part of the overall story arc. It's like a middle story in between the big story.

So SC happens between the beginning and the end of RoL? I can't see that being the case, really.

I'm extremely confused with the whole time travel thing.

So what I'm getting is that Lyric gets sealed by what we believe to be Sonic in the future, so he goes back to the past to prevent himself from getting sealed again? Is that it?

We don't really know how it's going to play out. The details we have are...

1. Lyric has been sealed for around 1,000 years. He says he has unfinished business with Sonic, but Sonic doesn't recognise him.

2. Characters go forwards and backwards on time.

3. They also have to collect 9 Chaos Crystals.

4. The game depicts various statues of Hedgehogs and rings (and possibly Echidnas? Was anything about Echidnas mentions officially?)

5. Eggman is also working with Lyric.

Oh, I see.

I think what would make more sense is that an ancestor of Sonic's sealed Lyric away, and Sonic happens to bear enough of a resemblance to that ancestor that Lyric assumes it was Sonic, if his concept of time is messed up.

• Thumbs Up 2

It will probably go something like this

From Lyric's perspective: Is doing evily evil things one thousand years from now, encounters Sonic, gets sealed by Sonic, is released one thousand years later, tries to finish what he started, get's beaten by Sonic.

From Sonic's perspective: Finds village being attacked by Eggman, searches for a power crystal for reasons, stumbles upon and awakens Lyric, continues adventuring, finds he has to/is forced to go back in time, seals Lyric, goes back to the present and continues adventure up until the climax.

This way, neither party realizes that time travel is involved until it actually happens, preventing any time travel prevention from ever happening, and allowing a stable time loop to exist.

Also, the concept of infinite loops repeating circumstances for one individual is totally bunk. In order for such a thing to happen, the person would have to be in the exact same situation, have the same knowledge, and the exact same molecular structure as the individual the first loop was started by. Due to aging, memory, and overall probability, such a timeline would be so rare, it would go into uncountable digits. Anybody who uses it should probably be using it for comedy only, as any other application would be absolutely laughable in the face of logic.

4. The game depicts various statues of Hedgehogs and rings (and possibly Echidnas? Was anything about Echidnas mentions officially?)

There's also the possibility that there are not hedgehogs/echidnas in the past and the statues are built in honour of Sonic and Knuckles when they go back to the past?

There's also the possibility that there are not hedgehogs/echidnas in the past and the statues are built in honour of Sonic and Knuckles when they go back to the past?

Sounds likely to me. Does anywhere explicitly mention echidnas though? Cause all of the statues I can recall seeing look more hedgehog-like, but having Knuckles get in on the mythos would make me a happy fanboy.

I'm pretty sure Stephen Frost mentions in the TSS interview that both hedgehogs and echidnas have history with Lyric.  The fact that foxes aren't included tells me that there probably was an ancient hedgehog and/or echidna civilisation rather than it all being down to Team Boom travelling back time time.  With time-travel being involved, though, it's still pretty much a dead cert that Sonic ends up sealing past Lyric.  I don't know why people keep on thinking that present Lyric is the one who gets sealed in the past, that makes no sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

So SC happens between the beginning and the end of RoL? I can't see that being the case, really.

There was also some videos in the 3DS version saying "Continue the Adventure in Rise of Lyric and the cartoon" or something like that. Continuing sounds like RL, at least, finishes Lyric's story.

But it could also be promotional nonsense that you shouldn't take at face value. I dunno.

There was also some videos in the 3DS version saying "Continue the Adventure in Rise of Lyric and the cartoon" or something like that. Continuing sounds like RL, at least, finishes Lyric's story.

But it could also be promotional nonsense that you shouldn't take at face value. I dunno.

The RoL trailer says "continue the adventure on 3DS" and the SC trailer says "continue the adventure on Wii U". It's just promo nonsense.

Sounds likely to me. Does anywhere explicitly mention echidnas though? Cause all of the statues I can recall seeing look more hedgehog-like, but having Knuckles get in on the mythos would make me a happy fanboy.

The reason why Echidnas were mentioned is that in the announcement trailer theres that random statue in the background, it's not clear what it is but we all assumed it were echidna because ancient race and all.

However, since then every other piece of ancient history/clue has been hedgehog.

The reason why Echidnas were mentioned is that in the announcement trailer theres that random statue in the background, it's not clear what it is but we all assumed it were echidna because ancient race and all.

However, since then every other piece of ancient history/clue has been hedgehog.

I thought so. I just listened to the TSS interview with Stephen Frost and be mentions echidnas, but only briefly in response to a question. While there's no doubting that Lryic has some relation to Sonic and/or other hedgehogs, I think it's too soon to be 100 sure about Knuckles and any Echidnas.

It would be a great way to bring Sonic and Knuckles together though. After their constant head-butting, they either come together to defeat Lyric of find they have some sort of common ancestry that deal with Lyric. Either way, I'm more enticed by this story than anything we've had for the past several years.

Honestly I'm hoping they're doing something more interesting with the time travel than what we can gather from the clues so far, because with the exception of the neat concept of the statues being built in Sonic's honour without him knowing, it'd just be a repeat of Shadow's story in Sonic 2006.

Granted, even if that's the case it does seem like the story will be enjoyable for the journey as much as the twists and turns, thanks to the strong character interaction.  It's also just nice to see the franchise dabbling in the concept of "story being told through environments".  I know I'm a total Valve fanboy because I pretty much constantly reference their stuff in terms of how to make quality interactive experiences, but it's something Half-Life, Portal and Left 4 Dead do so very well.  I hope QNC doesn't spell out the history of every single little thing as you go through and there's some lore to the world left in there for us nerds and eagle-eyed players to piece together - especially if it brings to light cool things about the world that explains stuff we just took for granted in the story before etc, those are the best little discoveries.

...Though having said that knowing how this fanbase is that could spell disaster for discussion.  I ever tell you guys about the time I had to edit out a comment on Rouge's wikipedia page that because the tip of her character model touching the surface of the water refills your oxygen in SA2, it "might suggest that Rouge has the power to breathe through her ears"?  Weeh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, that's good for them, I suppose. I wonder what made them change their minds?

Never miss an opportunity to make more money.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never miss an opportunity to make more money.

I was under the impression that the series wasn't going to Japan because the people working on it didn't think this new Americanized Sonic would make money over there.

But, seriously, good for Japan. I want everyone to be able to enjoy Sonic Boom.

I was under the impression that the series wasn't going to Japan because the people working on it didn't think this new Americanized Sonic would make money over there.

But, seriously, good for Japan. I want everyone to be able to enjoy Sonic Boom.

Well, yeah, apparently Sonic's not that big of a deal in Japan (or so I hear), but they're more likely to make money from it by releasing it over there than they are by not releasing it, so...

It's always good to have a few extra pennies in the bank.

I was under the impression that the series wasn't going to Japan because the people working on it didn't think this new Americanized Sonic would make money over there.But, seriously, good for Japan. I want everyone to be able to enjoy Sonic Boom.

The games have got to be good first for anyone to enjoy them. And the jury's still out on that.

I wonder if Japan will get the show too? The name 'Sonic Toon' definitely implies it, but localising the show would be a much bigger endeavour than the games. Normally Japan doesn't get the Western Sonic products even nowadays. The Rivals series, ASR, StealthTax ports... ASRT and Chronicles also got severely delayed releases.

Ya know it was inevitable that at least the show would get dubbed for Japan. They have their own Cartoon Network there, with dubs of their current shows running and all. I guess they decided to bring the games over because it was only logical.