Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Did something happen? Was new footage released while I was gone? I'm seeing a lot of negativity in this thread. And those particular bits on the music really worries me.

No, it's just the same gameplay footage we've seen last week but with clear audio of the music and in-game dialogue.

I'm still ain't giving up on Boom yet. I sure hope they'll show off better footage of the game then this cause so far it's not leaving a good first impression of what the game will be like. This is the first Sonic game in years where the reactions went from being somewhat positive to quickly negative/mixed all in the same week before E3.

• Thumbs Up 1

I rather play Pacman and Ghostly Adventures than this. Dare I say even the graphics in that game is better.

Punching a single generic robot 20 times to destroy it is so repetitive on many levels. Urgh.

@Swiftwinds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I've never seen a fanbase who cares about the music as much as this one, much less count it as a pro or con to whether the game is worth playing or not.

I'm personally not bothered by the lack of poppy music, (Imo it would be annoying in stages like these) and the voice acting and dialogue seem fine and dandy to me. So really, nothings changed.

Honestly, the biggest things I'm expecting out of Boom is the exploration and the multiple characters. If they want to impress me with their most marketed direction for this game, they are going to have to make this game huge. And given the dev time, I don't expect anything less. The characters are also a big point about the game for me, playing differently from each other, yet still retaining the same core. They already knocked down one pillar of my concerns when they allowed each character to progress through the level on their own, so now all they have to do is make sure each style is equally as satisfying as the other's in combat, each route is as long and as fun as the others, and the Co-op mode is well balanced, and I'll be set for life.

Did something happen? Was new footage released while I was gone? I'm seeing a lot of negativity in this thread. And those particular bits on the music really worries me.

No, the same footage of the GameXplain videos were just reuploaded in sound. Everyone's pretty much just voicing their previous opinions over and over again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for the clarification guys. And thank you Ming for the video link. I'll check it out later. I can't really see what the fuss is about as of now, since I'm in school. Will report later in with my thoughts once I've seen the video.

Hmm, I've been watching the footage again and, while I don't think the game looks that bad really, not really what I was expecting and not from a sonic game even a spinoff, but I'm worried about the bosses. Te three that we saw in te gameplay footage seemed to all use the exact same tactic to beat them, throw stuff at it. I sure hope that other bosses have different methods of being taken out

The number of sweeping generalisations so far are just staggering. I get people are underwhelmed by what they've seen and understand the reduction in excitement levels but Jesus fucking Christ some of the shit people are assuming is just stupid. We have seen 5 minutes of alpha gameplay and some of the stuff that's being assumed doesn't even make sense to assume.

Don't get me wrong I don't share a particularly positive view on the game so far either, but the game's not coming out for almost half a year. There's still a lot left to show.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ok so... I have a theory... and I hope it's wrong because if they actually do go there... Well here it is.

In the new footage, there's one point at around 0:30 where Sonic is shot into the air and says 

"It's like these tracks were built for me!"

For some reason, this stuck out as being odd, mainly because I thought "Well... yeah, because it's your gameplay stage!" Then there was this which immediately follows that line delivery....

dTnolyn.png

Two statues of giant hedgehogs holding a huge golden ring.

Well.... what if this isn't a throwaway line? But a plot device? 

Back in the original topic I pointed out this thing in Sticks' house....

ut1mHK7.png

A hedgehog/cat like mask... only now that there's clear footage of the hedgehog statues, I'm going towards 'hedgehog' over cat. 

Are they setting us up for a 'Sonic Origin' story? That this mysterious land is supposed to be where he originated from? It just seems really odd how we have this hedgehog imagery in multiple bits of media and Sonic commenting how he feels like the stage was built for him? Then there's other little things like those devices which generate a line of rings.

At this point I thought 'well there's probably something in the story which means this isn't possible' and then I thought "Well hang on, what exactly do we know about the story?" They've fallen into a mysterious lost land... Eggman is here, and there's a snake villain... oh and Sticks is here, that's it! We don't actually know anything about the story at all.

And don't forget what they've been telling us, they wanted this world to have a rich history that we could figure out. Is the idea of an origins/this is where Sonic came from, plotline so out of the question?

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think it's totally out of the question, but I'm not really convinvced yet. Plus, thankfully, Boom is a separate canon. So even if it doesp lay out the way you're theorising here, at least it won't apply to the series as we know it. I've been wanting proper stories in Sonic for a long time, but the last thing we need is an origin story for Sonic himself.

Blash Blash Origin Story Blahwink.png

I mentioned this somewhere within the blood bath of the last few pages.

I dont see any problem with this besides the good old.

what if it sucks you say?

Well if that sucks then whatever else they did would have sucked to and well it make no difference if you watch a bad story about where sonic cam from or a bad story about where lyric came from.

Its always good to develop a character from the start to really know who he is.

Your going to have to give more than just an image here as that's considered spam here.

Also, if you can't at least explain why you feel a certain way (let alone respect their opinions by not calling them "whiners") then please don't bother posting it.  That is also spam, not to mention just a tad petulant and pretentious.

Sorry, I'm being incredibly flippant and I should show more respect than I currently am. 

To elaborate, I don't think the game looks anywhere near as bad as others are insinuating. It's difficult to discuss without immediately getting heated, because it's clear that we're all looking for different things here. Some are upset that it's not the sort of game they were expecting, or expect generally from a Sonic game. That's a completely valid complaint, but it leads me to wonder if people are upset just because it's not what they want, instead of looking what is there and finding the good in it. I find that a hard thing to wrap my head around; I couldn't imagine not entering anything without an open mind; but I am assuming that none of you have done this which is stupid of me.

I don't mind the bantering in this game. I think the writing and voice acting of Sonic games have really come into their own ever since Sonic Colours, and I love Roger Craig Smith as Sonic. He nails it completely, in my opinion. I could maybe do with it being toned down a little bit, but whatever. I feel like complaining about the music at this juncture to be premature: we've heard barely any of it and it could very well all be place holder. Somebody said earlier that it's as bad as the music in Sonic Chronicles? That's just silly at this point.

There's a lot of talk about the graphics as well, about how they've regressed since the initial announcement trailer. I went back and watched that trailed again and I can see where people are coming from. I feel like the lighting in that initial trailer was completely different among other things, which is odd. The character models look better now than they did then, as far as I can tell.

On the whole I'm still interested. I'm as interested as I was before this influx of footage came out, but it looks exactly how I was expecting it to look so... *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 2

Stuff

We do look for good in it and we find very little thats the whole problem.

I think you are missing the point. In alot of peoples eyes it more than not a sonic game. Its just a bad game in general. Not bad in the sense that it look unplayable but bad in the sense that its just not interesting an just a mediocre game with sonics face attached.

Yes it may not be horrible but you have to understand that people dont like it when all they can say about a game is it doesnt suck and plays how its suppose to. And there are alot of people who would say alot of things do suck if you judge it as a beat em up is bad. Compare the speed section to sonic unleashed and they are a step down.

Its a step back with coop ontop.

Also im not trying to start anything but I dont like people saying we just dislike it because its different we dislike it because the game its trying to be is only mentionable because sonics in it and everying else is below average.

• Thumbs Up 2

The fact that it bears absolutely no similarity to Sonic outside of those running sections is a problem in itself. I was all geared up for a totally different kind of Sonic game, but in reality a Sonic game it is not. And yes, exactly as Storme Prince said, it's looks rather mediocre on most fronts.

I think you are missing the point. In alot of peoples eyes it more than not a sonic game. Its just a bad game in general.

Yes it may not be horrible but you have to understand that people dont like it when all they can say about a game is it doesnt suck and plays how its suppose to.

This may just be a communication problem, but you can't say it's a "bad game in general" and then turn around and say "it doesn't suck." Those two things don't go together. Is it a bad game or isn't it? Is it fair to judge when we've seen literally five minutes of disjointed gameplay six months ahead of release? 

It's looking more and more like either a cash in for the cartoon or/and a Jax game they wanted to make but got hired by Sega to do a Sonic game instead. I have no worries about the game's state NOW as it'll surely be touched and prettied up before release. MY issue is everything else they are doing that's keeping me from backing this game. The combat while not a bad idea ... proves noone knows how to put it in a sonic game without taking out speed. The lack of faith in making Eggman the big bad by making some out of place Snake dude who's posed to be " the worst evil Sonic's EVER faced" thing. And we're TOLD this not shown, that NEVER goes over well... EVER. 

Everything right now is killing whatever hype this game HAD. It's watch dogs all over again.. only without the gameplay and cool factor to back it up. It'll most likely do well tho.. it just won't win over ANY sonic fans from the sounds of it.

This may just be a communication problem, but you can't say it's a "bad game in general" and then turn around and say "it doesn't suck." Those two things don't go together. Is it a bad game or isn't it?

"It might not flat out suck, but it's general it's far from being a good game."

Is it fair to judge when we've seen literally five minutes of disjointed gameplay six months ahead of release?

The footage and previews we've seen for the game so far aren't for forming opinions on. Is that what you're saying?

Look, everyone who doesn't like what they see is saying that based on what's available to them at the moment. It's just as 'wrong' of you (read: not wrong at all) to be positive at this stage. If future info proves to be more to people's tastes, then you can be bloody sure that they'll start to change their minds. This is another of those arguments that crops up with every single game ever, and I'm pretty sick of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Banner number 2 spotted... or it's the backside of number 1 I dunno.

BppdnGQIIAAbdRm.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

"It might not flat out suck, but it's general it's far from being a good game."

The footage and previews we've seen for the game so far aren't for forming opinions on. Is that what you're saying?

Look, everyone who doesn't like what they see is saying that based on what's available to them at the moment. It's just as 'wrong' of you (read: not wrong at all) to be positive at this stage. If future info proves to be more to people's tastes, then you can be bloody sure that they'll start to change their minds. This is another of those arguments that crops up with every single game ever, and I'm pretty sick of it.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Guess I was just letting the overwhelming wave of opinions get to me.

Geez, I'm bad at this whole message board thing.

It's like these tracks were built for me. Aren't these game designers wonderful?

Anyone who knows where the bit I added comes from will get what I'm driving at, and yes, I went there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I totally agree that the quantity of in-level chatter should be reduced a little - but that is the kind of thing I would have thought they can change.  For everything else, if Sega hired them to make something that people wouldn't normally get in a Sonic game, I can't really blame BRB for doing so.

Banner number 2 spotted... or it's the backside of number 1 I dunno.

BppdnGQIIAAbdRm.jpg

Considering that we know they have better models than those, I'm really surprised they're using that stock art again.  I guess those banners must've been designed and printed up a while ago, and the improved versions we saw with the recent preview weren't ready yet.  I do worry that people will get the wrong impression about the model quality.