Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

2 hours ago, BxB-Meister said:

Strange though, my copy has more things in it than this version of it.

Would you guys like for me to upload it?

Yes please.

1 hour ago, BxB-Meister said:

That was a bit of a dumb question lol.

Well, here you go!

Had this trailer for about 2 years now.

Oh my gosh, Sonic had fingerless gloves. And the underside of his arms and fingers weren't blue.

Good God this game must be the most gutted out Sonic game in history.

I just realized another thing XP

Doesn't this make it the only concept art we've seen of Sticks?

Spoiler

The more I watch this video, the more a fool I feel.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

How in the bloody hell did you find this to begin with is what I want to know.

I don't remember. Pretty sure I downloaded it from somewhere, but that was 2 years ago... actually, maybe it was 3... yeah that proves my point.

In the meantime while I try to remember, have a Knuckles standing next to a burning tree:

Ev3ZF6B.gif

• Thumbs Up 7

I really gotta say. I think this beta Sonic is an improvement over the actual in-game design.

The fingerless gloves and stylized cream parts to his arms are actually a really nice touch. Shame it wasn't implemented.

The design is definitely better, but the model construction itself sure as hell isn't. Good god those faces. Those limbs. It's really a 3D translation of Ron Lim's comic artwork, and the whole thing has this creepy-fleshy look to it. I think it actually coulda looked good if those textures and design sense were used on the final model.

I'll admit that version definitely showed off a lot more stuff that we never ended up seeing in the final.

I wonder if any copies of versions of this game still exist from back when it was on other things than the Wii U, because I'd love to see them brought to light. I've always been a defender of what we ended up getting (again, not because it's good, but because 06 comparisons are laughable) but this leaves me wanting a lot from what seems to be the most cut content in any game the series has received.

And to think, just a couple years ago we were always wondering about that beta Windy Valley.

• Thumbs Up 1

How in the world...

Slingshoting your friends across gaps... using Sonic as a human jetski... repelling down walls to solve hanging puzzles...

The enerbeam was such an intricately designed tool if this retro reel is anything to go by. It was destined to do great things, and yet the one we got in the finished build is so watered down it feels like it was an afterthought.

So much of this game got left by the wayside. I just cant even wrap my head around the woulda coulda shouldas of it all

• Thumbs Up 4

This game got cut to ribbons. It's a shame how much of this never saw the light of day.

I took screenshots of interest, someone else can take up what I didn't take (like the Chao, wow, those are fantastically artistic).  

So wow

.eJwFwcsNhCAQANBeuMt3GNQ2tgBDkICJAmHG02Z

This is probably going to be one of my top favourite Eggbotnik designs. Who canned this beauty? Who at Sega of Japan looked at this and thought this wasn't the epitome of great Eggman design?

58f1cff10cc3b_Screenshot2017-04-1502_33_13.thumb.png.ca1110977c79ffd288a3663f4cfefb36.png

This stuff isn't too shabby either. Really nice and fun and sometimes imposing. That's a good series of Robotnik designs, yep. 

.eJwFwcsNhCAQANBeuMswfAa1jS3AECRgokBgPG2

Okay, this is much better than what we ended up with for Sticks. What

.eJwFwcENwyAMAMBd-BeMMabJGh2gQgRBpAQQuK-

.eJwFwcsNwyAMANBduBebr5Os0QEqRBBESiDCzqn

Amy knows she's the shit. Look at that confidence. Best Amy to date, damn. 

.eJwVycsNwyAMANBduBebr0XW6AAVIggiJTgC91R

.eJwNxcENwyAMAMBd-BcMBqNkjQ5QIYIgUgIIu6-

I love how friendly and personable Sonic is here. The animation is top notch and the character models are wonderfully unique and confident in their direction and know how different they want to be yet familiar to the Sonic we know and love (?). That's a likable hog there. 

.eJwFwcsNwyAMANBduBcb87HIGh2gQgRBpAQicE5

(This is my favourite of the NPCs concept art)

Badnik makin', Chaos Emerald nappin', world conquerin', meme lovin', animal torturin', bloody no good tyrannical...

• Thumbs Up 2

To this day I still think that last bit with the worm is utterly fantastic. Everything from the sound direction (that robotic moan it makes when it rises out is genuinely fucking scary) to the way it's animated to its placement in the trailer is top-notch.

Subtle horror has never been Sonic's strong-suit (the only other time Sonic genuinely disturbed me in this fashion would be Gerald Robotnik in SA2) but whoever came up with the worm deserves praise.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm no Sonic Boom fan, and I wouldn't ever want it replacing the regular Sonic design or status quo, but looking back on all this stuff, I can't help but reflect on some of the stuff they did right and feel that our modern critic and fan cultures have been overly harsh with Rise of Lyric in particular and Boom as a whole. I think it has a lot to do with consumer mentality, but I'll leave that alone for now.

I can't help but wonder if a Rise of Lyric 2 or whatever could have ironed out a lot of the issues while aligning character design and gameplay elements more closely with their source material. At very least, I wish that Big Red Button could have at least broken even instead of seemingly going out of business after all the work they put into the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's alot to this game than I thought. As I said before so many years ago, Rise of Lyric has alot of untapped potential. It does upset me seeing this and knowing what we got at the end. All that effort gone to waste and I bet it tore at the hearts at Big Red Button. Well, what else can be said at this point? Brb has long since moved on from Boom and it seems Sega is too. 

But I do wonder what Boom as a whole would've been like today without the Nintendo exclusive. I don't think Rol would've been a great game but it probably it wouldn't been so terrible to ruin the reputation. 

• Thumbs Up 3

CHAO?! THIS GAME WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE CHAO?!?!?!?!

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner because we could have actually gotten Chao Garden again. 

inaudible noises

But real talk though. This game could've been amazing. Had Sega had told BRB what console they were supposed to be working on before they were literally almost done, we could've had a lot more than what we have now. I honestly feel bad for BRB, as it wasn't really their fault for the atrocity we'd end up getting. Maybe somehow someone can get their hands on the files for the original game and see Synergy actually be brought to light. Probs not gonna happen tho

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/15/2017 at 3:52 AM, LongcrierCat said:

.eJwFwcsNhCAQANBeuMswfAa1jS3AECRgokBgPG2

Okay, this is much better than what we ended up with for Sticks. What.

These are very cool to see!

But I love the one we got, and don't feel those are any better... Especially that last 1 to the right which doesn't even quite match the Sonic style... to much detail on the hair and unneeded head piece.

Barbarian Sticks looks pretty rad. Kinda wish they had kept the skulls. Skulls are cool.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sure they look cool, but you never want to over-detail your character. That design falls pretty neatly into the doing-to-much category when you put her alongside Tails, Knux and Amy.

Simple is the first rule when making a Sonic character. The second rule is to try and make it a hedgehog if at all possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, swap the hair for her finalized hairstyle and maybe pull some detail out of the rest of her clothes and I don't think a few cartoony skulls would be too distracting.

Look at the bright side of what came out of Rise of Lyric, t'was the last game SEGA made before they promised better quality in Sonic games. Guess we could be glad about that.

Really though.

I wonder why exactly SEGA is so... I'm not sure how to put it, "scared" I suppose, of using Chao in Sonic anymore.

Could it be that it's because they're being so overcautious they want to make sure the game will be a success before including them? Just because there's a lot of demand and all.