Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Happy one year anniversary to the beginning of a waste of time and energy.

And happy two year anniversary to a great drought. Hooray!

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 5

Happy (late) birthday to a game that I liked!

I honestly prefer it to colors and heroes *RUNS*

• Thumbs Up 2

Happy (late) birthday to a game that I liked!

I honestly prefer it to colors and heroes *RUNS*

Lemme just...

Untitled.thumb.png.e601c56dd544da1163528

Untitled_2.thumb.png.ac6435f3bc1aba4aec1

Edited by Kyoko Kirigiri
  • Thumbs Up 8

Happy birthday to the game I still sort of like but instinctively get pissed about just looking at because of all the back-and-forth I remember being a part of last year.

I guess really my feelings on the game are not that it's good, but that it's so not horrible that I feel obligated to like it more than I do because the backlash about it is fucking ridiculous. It had a lot of things that Sonic Prime doesn't and I respect it for that, but no, it's not really a "good" game. Just kinda there.

But hey, constant perfection can be boring if the Mario series has anything to prove. There's no way you can say that Sonic hasn't been able to stay interesting just on principle of what's going to happen next.

Trouble keeps you running faster.

Well, happy birthday to a game I felt was above-average (aside from the technical sloppiness). I hope it gets a sequel on a system that can properly run it.

vp7NqD.gif 

And the award for 'Best Post' goes to...

For a sec I thought the word 'NOPE' would show up as soon as Shadow left...

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll never understand the hate for this game, no really, I won't. From the moment we were given that shadowy teaser image of the casts silhouettes every single forum/art site I was on erupted with bile, hatred and OMG, SEGA's killed Sonic (Again) memes. Now a days its a bit different, now half the time people are screaming about it being a broken pile of glitchy **** despite having never played it, the other half of the time they're screaming about Boom Sonic killing off Modern Sonic regardless of SEGA saying Modern Sonic is still their main lead for over two years.

I own the game, played it and only met three glitches in my entire play through, I'm sure I can find a lot more if I go out of my way to do so but really, who does that? But saying I like the game never seems to be accepted as people just tell me to shut up and go watch (Insert link to online game review by foul mouthed youtube gamer who hasn't played the game either) to understand why the game stinks.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'll never understand the hate for this game, no really, I won't. From the moment we were given that shadowy teaser image of the casts silhouettes every single forum/art site I was on erupted with bile, hatred and OMG, SEGA's killed Sonic (Again) memes. Now a days its a bit different, now half the time people are screaming about it being a broken pile of glitchy **** despite having never played it, the other half of the time they're screaming about Boom Sonic killing off Modern Sonic regardless of SEGA saying Modern Sonic is still their main lead for over two years.

I own the game, played it and only met three glitches in my entire play through, I'm sure I can find a lot more if I go out of my way to do so but really, who does that? But saying I like the game never seems to be accepted as people just tell me to shut up and go watch (Insert link to online game review by foul mouthed youtube gamer who hasn't played the game either) to understand why the game stinks.

Similar deal here. I've encountered some minor bugs every now and then, but I only encountered three major ones in my entire playthrough. I had no problems with the controls or camera. There were framerate issues, yes, but I only noticed it when a drop occurred during a speed section. This game was nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact, I actually find it to be a decent game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Similar deal here. I've encountered some minor bugs every now and then, but I only encountered three major ones in my entire playthrough. I had no problems with the controls or camera. There were framerate issues, yes, but I only noticed it when a drop occurred during a speed section. This game was nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact, I actually find it to be a decent game. 

*DEEP INHALE*

I feel similarly, I guess? I restate myself a hell of a lot with this title, but I stand by that while it's far from flawless, I think it gets a lot more shit than it deserves, and I blame a lot of that on the initial reveal stuff. When this was first shown off it wasn't running on the Wii U, they had that cryengine demo and all that to prove it would be something that looks great, but when it got to e3 the graphics were so downgraded it looked like a completely different title. By the time this thing hit shelves it worked itself back up to the graphical quality of "okay" but I think that while people claim to not be snobs on graphics, everyone, myself included is going to partially judge something like this based on what it looks like because there wasn't any real gameplay shown off in February, at least not of the comprehensible sense. So when you got to the e3 footage, not only was the stuff like the lighting turned down, but the game's overall construction was more video-gamey. With the trailer, everything was thrown at you. High action camera angles, fast shots of a bunch of stuff happening, a lot of which you couldn't see in the game no matter how you set up the camera. So when things get back down to earth and look like a video game (that wasn't entirely finished at that), even if you're not trying to judge on graphics, you're going to whether you like it or not.

The other thing is that people associate glitches in Sonic games with bad Sonic games. I think it was Paraxade's speedrun of the game abusing the flying Knuckles glitch that really pushed it over the line, whether it was intentional or not. When people see something like that and they're not super invested in the franchise and the last Sonic game they saw where something like that could happen was Sonic 06, it's going to come up regardless of whether one is loads better designed than the other. It doesn't help when stuff like Game Grumps intentionally fucking it up or that one fake article that said "Sega insults Sonic Boom saying they're the only ones allowed to ruin Sonic" came out right as it was released and people thought they were legit. That sort of thing doesn't happen with other franchises and it pisses me off.

Again, my opinion on this has changed a lot since angry 15 year old me made those posts here, because I'm not sure if I'd consider this a full-on "good" game, but I always feel the need to speak up when people call it the next Sonic 06 or worse than any game worse than Heroes, because no matter how old I am, that's gonna be bullshit.

*AGGRESSIVE DEEP INHALE*

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, BlueParadox said:

A friend of mine on twitter has noticed that Sonic's model has tan arms in this version of the game.

7c214eb10401bee9dbb3e1fa1ebe5c93.jpg

The right arm is definitely blue.

3 minutes ago, Shadzter said:

The right arm is definitely blue.

Maybe my eye is deceiving me, but his left arm definitely looks tan there. Perhaps the arm color thing was just a work-in-progress thing at the time of the images' making.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it's his enerbeam gadget. If you zoom in close there's blue above it just before his quill.

• 2 weeks later...

Been snooping again. 

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/02/more-sonic-boom-rol-concept-art-discovered/

19 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Not to double post but, I found a guy's art gallery that reveals a cut level: Lyric's Armada. http://nicolasweis.com/blog/category/sonic/ 

We already covered that on the site a while back, but thanks anyway :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

I will admit, I do like looking at the characters attack combo's when their fighting enemies, especially Sonic's movements, certainly a little more entertaining than Homing attacks all day.