Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

Nintendo Passed On Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Exclusivity

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/16/nintendo-passed-on-skylanders-spyros-adventure-exclusivity

To say "missed oppurtunity" would be kind of a stretch, especially considering if Nintendo was able to make the sequels Giants and Swap Force exclusive as well via some sort of contract. Granted, back then nobody predicted it would become a commercial success, but still...

That's extremely painful to comprehend. Gah, I don't know if this would have made a significant impact on their sales, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

30 is definitely only a small portion of 3DS owners, true, but I still think that it holds some relevance. I used to use the app myself y'know. I did the same as you, planning out my Animal Crossing town. I also used it for plotting which routes to take in Streetpass Quest. But beyond that, I never found a use for it. Everything I might have needed to write down about a game can be found online pretty easily. Especially on the Wii U, if you're running that particular game- as soon as you open up the browser, it asks you if you want to search for that game.

I will admit only 3 colours is somewhat restrictive though, when you ARE trying to plan something like an Animal Crossing town layout. At least adding green and yellow would have been nice...

You don't have to pay for YouTube on anything, do you? I guess that's not the point. The thing you'd be paying extra for in this instance IS Art Academy though. And only a tiny fee.

Again, I'm pretty sure Miiverse is the evolution of the note app. Pictures, text and screenshots. Certainly seems like it to me. Yeah, it's no Photoshop, but it's not bad.

...I'm no longer sure what my point was, so I'm going to stop here before this goes way off topic. Little too tired. Maybe we can pick this up in the morning?

I'm not sure if I want to keep discussing it, anyway. In the end it was a proposition for a rather negligible feature that seemed to me to be a pretty obvious addition, but I guess we can just agree to disagree at this point.

I mean, it's not on the Wii U, but I'm not devastated. ...but at the same time, if it were, you wouldn't be bothered by it, so why make it a big deal? tongue.png

No use getting into debates when there's no need for it.

Sounds good to me, Indigo.

What's this about Skylanders being exclusive...? Am I misunderstanding it, or is that saying it would've been a Nintendo property? Like... with Nintendo characters...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds good to me, Indigo.

What's this about Skylanders being exclusive...? Am I misunderstanding it, or is that saying it would've been a Nintendo property? Like... with Nintendo characters...?

The first game would had been exclusive to Nintendo consoles (Wii, Wii U, and 3DS).

Seriously though, not talking of the note thing, but the fact that Miiverse doesn't allow colored drawings is a massive shame. Sketching in black and white is fun, but a little color would go a looong way, Ninty.

There's a lot of problems about this.

One: No one knew it would've been as successful as it did. Hell, Activision themselves had no idea the juggernaut they had on their hands until later and they were surprised.

Two: This was back when Nintendo was still #1 last gen. Now, it would be helpful, but back then it wouldn't do anything.

Three: If Nintendo did agree with it, they would've received the same backlash that Activision and Disney got when both announced a game that involved using toys that are $10-12 to play as them.

And four: A lot of the backlash from Skylanders 1 involved the fact that Spyro was just shoehorned into it to possibly increase sales. Nintendo probably would've had to let them use their own IPs and characters for the game, making Nintendo a "sellout" and lowering the brand names involved, part of the reason why Nintendo doesn't release mobile games.

One: No one knew it would've been as successful as it did. Hell, Activision themselves had no idea the juggernaut they had on their hands until later and they were surprised.

Two: This was back when Nintendo was still #1 last gen. Now, it would be helpful, but back then it wouldn't do anything.

Three: If Nintendo did agree with it, they would've received the same backlash that Activision and Disney got when both announced a game that involved using toys that are $10-12 to play as them.

And four: A lot of the backlash from Skylanders 1 involved the fact that Spyro was just shoehorned into it to possibly increase sales. Nintendo probably would've had to let them use their own IPs and characters for the game, making Nintendo a "sellout" and lowering the brand names involved, part of the reason why Nintendo doesn't release mobile games.

Agreed.

We don't know the deal that was proposed and Nintendo was likely fully in their right not to get in on the "exclusivity." It might not have even been a huge advantage for Nintendo at all, either.

Seriously though, not talking of the note thing, but the fact that Miiverse doesn't allow colored drawings is a massive shame. Sketching in black and white is fun, but a little color would go a looong way, Ninty.

As far as Miiverse is concerned, all I really want is a zoom and grid function ala MSpaint. I'm absolutely hopeless at traditional drawing because I'm absurdly pedantic about pixels, I just have to do something block by block or it doesn't really sit right with me. And I find myself practically tearing my own hair out in frustration when I see posts that are practically traces of actual sprites and just wondering how the fucking hell people do something like that, because I feel like there should be a much, much easier way.

Who the fuck cares what internet trolls say about them "selling out" when the're delivering a product people want and profiting greatly from it?

I'd address the other points but I first have to ask why it's even bing discussed in this thread to begin with. I thought the whole point of a separate Wii U thread was to avoid talking about this shit?

• Thumbs Up 3

Discoid's right on this one, it seems like something more for the financial thread.

I also have to say I'm with him when he says who cares about what idiots on the internet think. Fact of the matter is that those types are never pleased, and it's unlikely they actually gave a shit about whatever they were getting riled about in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I know I certainly wouldn't like the idea. I hate the Skylanders games and Infinity not for quality, but for how disgusting the idea of buying physical DLC for characters already coded in the game. 

Who the fuck cares what internet trolls say about them "selling out" when the're delivering a product people want and profiting greatly from it?

I'd address the other points but I first have to ask why it's even bing discussed in this thread to begin with. I thought the whole point of a separate Wii U thread was to avoid talking about this shit?

I wasn't talking just about sales so it fits just fine in this thread. It's news that is about what could've been a Wii U exclusive.

Unfortunately, I agree with both sides. That's something that stretches things a bit. Its an interesting thing to note, but it could also lead to topics about sales. Personally, I hate the whole notion of Skylanders and Disney Infinity as well, although PSI Wind, I don't think the characters are built into the game. At least I didn't think they were, I was pretty sure that the data for each character was in each toy you get.

Can I point out that the Wii-u has a built in NFC reader? And that Nintendo has said several times that they have a major NFC game they plan to reveal at E3? I still think that it could quite likely be Custom Robo, as the series would be easy to supplement in that format

Can I point out that the Wii-u has a built in NFC reader? And that Nintendo has said several times that they have a major NFC game they plan to reveal at E3? I still think that it could quite likely be Custom Robo, as the series would be easy to supplement in that format

NFC? I'm not sure what that is.

NFC? I'm not sure what that is.

the little chip in the statues for Skylanders, and Disney infinity, and Pokemon Rumble as well, the little square on the bottom left corner of the gamepad is a reader

They experimented with the Pokemon Rumble game, but I do think it'd be really cool if they did do something with Custom Robo. Scanning in robot parts through NFC cards and stuff like that.

Can I say something, I hope I don't say anything stupid. But to me, before and during the early year announcement of the Wii U I felt Nintendo was kinda wanting to reach the more "hardcore" audience that most people wanted them to embrace. While them ended up going the other way as time went by, I think at time if they decided to agree with this exclusivity, of the skylanders franchise,  it could probably affect that image Nintendo was trying to show.

Of course I'm assuming some stuff, but I guess it was the vibe I was getting from their early presentations of the console.  

Well, I know I certainly wouldn't like the idea. I hate the Skylanders games and Infinity not for quality, but for how disgusting the idea of buying physical DLC for characters already coded in the game.

I wasn't talking just about sales so it fits just fine in this thread. It's news that is about what could've been a Wii U exclusive.

I'm not fond of it either, but I have no idea why personal preference has any bearing on this discussion whatsoever when Skylanders and Disney Infinity have already proven to be sales juggernauts. Is there something bad about a game you don't like selling well on your favorite console?

Also, we're absolutely talking about financials here, man. Is the financial thread supposedly only there for posting numbers?

Can I say something, I hope I don't say anything stupid. But to me, before and during the early year announcement of the Wii U I felt Nintendo was kinda wanting to reach the more "hardcore" audience that most people wanted them to embrace. While them ended up going the other way as time went by, I think at time if they decided to agree with this exclusivity, of the skylanders franchise, it could probably affect that image Nintendo was trying to show.

Of course I'm assuming some stuff, but I guess it was the vibe I was getting from their early presentations of the console.

Nintendo Land doesn't exactly scream "hardcore".

Can I point out that the Wii-u has a built in NFC reader? And that Nintendo has said several times that they have a major NFC game they plan to reveal at E3? I still think that it could quite likely be Custom Robo, as the series would be easy to supplement in that format

Late to the party to a saturated market. They'd be going up against two well established brands - one of which features some of the most popular brands of our time (Disney, Marvel, Star Wars). I'm not hopeful.

Why is discussion of financials and news trying to invade the opposite thread?

No, seriously, I want to know.

Nintendo Land doesn't exactly scream "hardcore".

Well I didn't mean everything they showedtongue.png 

But I was speculating and that can go both sides, so I agree you got a point. And like I said even if they initially intended to attract a more "hardcore" audience, it was eventually dropped. If their marketing campaign is anything to go by. 

If you want to talk about Nintendo as a company and their business practices or what the fuck ever then direct it to the other topic.

Why is discussion of financials and news trying to invade the opposite thread?

No, seriously, I want to know.

Because the other thread is dead.

To get off the sales topic; this is happening again:

- Nintendo is being accused of patent infringement by Secure Axcess, LLC

- patent in question was filed February 18, 2003

- patent was for "a computer providing multiple display capability where one display presents the current document and another display may show a true display of a previously opened document."

- compensatory damages and costs are what Axcess is looking for

To get off the sales topic; this is happening again:

actualy, this goes in the business thread

also they did the same with the DS family, doubt its going to go anywhere