Awoo.

If Boom becomes a critical success could it impact the current direction of SEGASonic?

8ther

I'm reading the article. I don't see where he got the "Sonic Boom is comedy, Modern Sonic will be Adventure" statement from. Especially when if anything it seems to be the opposite- The constant mantra of "Japan's Sonic will appeal to classic fans" would indicate carrying on the line that, as much as SSMB hates, has given them success critically- lighthearted fluff, as Gabs puts it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and I forgot multiple playable characters. If that's not once again blown out of proportion with "Sonic's shitty friends" then we might see at least playable Tails.

If anything, as one of Boom's doomsayers (boomsayers?), I'm worried that the generic brawler direction Be Right Back is taking Boom in will turn even more people off to the idea of multiple characters, either due to false correlation or just flat out disappointment. You've probably caught wind of the mantra already: "If Naughty Dog alumni can't make them work, nobody can."

In general, given the wave of negative reception the Boom games are experiencing, it'll be a genuine shock if SEGA doesn't just interpret the whole project as one big warning sign. It's not something I hope to be right about, of course, but I just can't shake the feeling that we're witnessing a funeral march.

Really this is Sega once again fracturing their audiences, and I'm not saying this to hate on Boom.

It's been this way since arguably Heroes or even the Adventures when it comes to these different playstyles for Sonic and each iteration brings something that either doesn't flow with the formula they have or tosses the formula they do have away in place of a new one.

In Booms case, it's currently (supposedly) just existing side-by-side with the original Sonic, but then there's the question of what are they doing with the original Sonic after Lost World?

• Thumbs Up 1

Really this is Sega once again fracturing their audiences, and I'm not saying this to hate on Boom.

It's been this way since arguably Heroes or even the Adventures when it comes to these different playstyles for Sonic and each iteration brings something that either doesn't flow with the formula they have or tosses the formula they do have away in place of a new one.

In Booms case, it's currently (supposedly) just existing side-by-side with the original Sonic, but then there's the question of what are they doing with the original Sonic after Lost World?

At this point I'm just wondering who are the guys at the top who are making so many questionable decisions in regards to the development of Sonic as a whole. We're pointing fingers but there doesn't seem to be any specific groups or indeed any real idea of what could be stated as the root of the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew my post would be the subject of debate eventually. Didn't realized it'd be this soon.

I fail to recognize a need to cite anything I've said. While the amount of talent or skill that the aforementioned individuals possess is up for debate I can without a doubt say that Sonic Team have been pivotal and key in regard to maintaining a direction that has for the most part remained concise and true to the origins of the series. This especially holds true as of late.

I was under the impression that Sonic Team was not a specific locked entity... in that SEGA has a bunch of game development teams, and historically it would just pick one of them and dub them "Sonic Team" for the duration it was making the new Sonic game.

Is that not the case?

Is Sonic Team even aware of the fact that a large portion of the Sonic fanbase are sick of these jokes-centric Sonic only games?

No, it isn't. Sonic Team was always One specific group of SEGA staff.

Are you sure? Because I was told the same people who made Adventures weren't the same people who made Sonic 06, who were different people than made Unleashed, and colors/generations/lost world, which easily explains some of the massive differences in tone and execution, it was just all done under the same banner of Sonic Team.

I mean, naturally there is going to be new blood in any team over a long time period, and people will retire/move on, but I was specifically told this scenario took place, where Sonic Team was more of a label than a specific production team.

Sonic is a Care Bear's mostly right in that there were and are different groups all recognized/labeled as Sonic Team, rather than one singular group.

There's was the original Sonic Team, who worked on the Genesis games (they briefly split for a while though, with most of them working on Sonic 2 and 3 & Knuckles in the US under Yuji Naka and Hirozaku Yasuhara and the remaining group working on Sonic CD in Japan under Naoto Oshima), Sonic Adventure, and Sonic 06; along with a bunch of other non-Sonic titles (Ristar, Phantasy Star Online, Samba de Amigo, etc.). Most of the original staff have left, with all of the original three key players (Naka, Yasuhara, and Oshima) gone, with Naka in particular taking ten other Sonic Team members with him to form Prope when he left Sega in 2006 during Sonic 06's development. The people who remain are within one of the two groups of the current Sonic Team team.

There was also Sonic Team USA (who later renamed themselves to Sega Studio USA in 2005), the American division of Sonic Team that worked on most console Sonic games of the Dreamcast/sixth-gen era, while Sonic Team USA handled the Sonic games of the same period-Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog, as well as NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. They were later re-absorbed into Sonic Team Japan in 2008.

Then you have the two groups that comprise of the current Sonic Team, created as a byproduct of Sonic 06's development. The remaining team had half of the staff taken away to work on developing a Sonic title for the Wii (Secret Rings). This group would later independently work on Black Knight, Colors, Lost World, and would become known as the Storybook team / Colors team.

The remaining Sonic 06 group gathered new talent for Unleashed, and would work on the bulk of Generations (with the Colors team assisting afterwards), this team would be known as the Unleashed team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Team is a sub-division of Sega

Other than key names like Iizuka and Jun, Sonic Team's staff has changed many times.

To answer the OP, no, it wouldn't. The Boost trilogy is proof that they don't give a shit what people consider good, they just do whatever the hell they feel like. If Boom replaces Modern Sonic, it won't be because of outside influence.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Team is a sub-division of Sega

Other than key names like Iizuka and Jun, Sonic Team's staff has changed many times.

To answer the OP, no, it wouldn't. The Boost trilogy is proof that they don't give a shit what people consider good, they just do whatever the hell they feel like. If Boom replaces Modern Sonic, it won't be because of outside influence.

Funny, I always got the impression it was the reverse. They listen, but they take things at face value and aren't consistently competent enough to pull off what we ask.