Awoo.

If Boom becomes a critical success could it impact the current direction of SEGASonic?

8ther

I'm sure they have been aware. Problem is, they've been bending over backwards to please critics.

And yet the critics still can't seem to let go of Sonic's past failures, still continue to treat the series and the fandom as a huge joke and call all of the Sonic cast worthless. Even when SEGA is trying to deliver what the critics wants they'll still pick on Sonic anyway. I say it's about time a game like this is finally made to bring something new and fresh to the series and please people who wants something a lot more. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Doesn't Iizuka do Q&As at Sonic Boom? Someone should ask him would Sonic Team consider bringing back deeper plots and multiple characters if Boom becomes a success with critics.

And yet the critics still can't seem to let go of Sonic's past failures, still continue to treat the series and the fandom as a huge joke and call all of Sonic friends worthless. I say it's about time a game like this is finally made. 

Boom is going to have to be pretty big and massive to make the critics shut up and stop picking on Sonic like the loner by the lunch table.

If it's successful, then it would at least jog some senses into SEGA/Sonic Team's thick heads to make the other characters playable and tell the critics to stick it. Maybe it could open up for other sub franchises for the series too. Also it might help Sonic Team learn how to do voice recording sessions properly. 

Why do people want Sonic Team to rush and add in multiple characters? That would be repeating the exact same mistakes they've already made.

Sonic Team needs to get the gameplay done right first, and on a stable foundation. SLW did not instill any confidence that they've managed that yet. If they rush in and add multiple characters along with terrible gameplay, the critics will once again bash the multiple characters as the culprits and once again plunge Sonic back into the dark age.

Why do people want Sonic Team to rush and add in multiple characters? That would be repeating the exact same mistakes they've already made.

Sonic Team needs to get the gameplay done right first, and on a stable foundation. SLW did not instill any confidence that they've managed that yet. If they rush in and add multiple characters along with terrible gameplay, the critics will once again bash the multiple characters as the culprits and once again plunge Sonic back into the dark age.

Totally agree with this. However I think that multiple characters and a better storyline would still be beneficial to a sonic game. Both sonic adventure 2 and sonic generations hade good gameplay (and were loved by the critics and the fans alike). Imagine a game that is like that, but where you can also play other characters such as tails and knuckles, who actually add importance to the story. That would be awesome. I miss the days when eggman (Dr. Ivo Robotnik) was scary, smart, and was not afraid to cause harm to both sonic and his friends and the others.

In sonic aventure 1, he as prepared to kill everyone in station square with a missle, and in sonic aventure 2, not only did he have no problem senindg sonic into space and then blasting him (a great scene, only hamped by the average-poor voice acting from the other sonic characters), but robotnik was planning to fire the ark on earth (which would have killed many more people.

The mistake was never the presence of more characters. The mistake was always either shoddy writing or a bad choice in direction.

• Thumbs Up 3

The mistake was never the presence of more characters. The mistake was always either shoddy writing or a bad choice in direction.

But the critics don't know that.

Either way the state that Sonic Team is currently in; unable to write good stories or compelling characters and uncertainty over gameplay direction, is really not the kind of environment that would bring multiple characters back into the spotlight.

They must get those aspects done correctly first, in order to setup the right conditions, when critics are more welcoming towards the idea.

But the critics don't know that.

Either way the state that Sonic Team is currently in; unable to write good stories or compelling characters and uncertainty over gameplay direction, is really not the kind of environment that would bring multiple characters back into the spotlight.

They must get those aspects done correctly first, in order to setup the right conditions, when critics are more welcoming towards the idea.

Well good thing Sonic Team aren't the ones who is working on Boom then. That doesn't mean other competent developers can't add in multiple characters and good stories cause Sonic Team somehow can't.

Well good thing Sonic Team aren't the ones who is working on Boom then. That doesn't mean other developers can't add compelling characters and good stories cause Sonic Team somehow can't.

Even if Boom manages to get multiple characters done right, the game still has a different emphasis on combat as opposed to SEGASonic's speed. So Sonic Team will probably learn little from Boom and still mess multiple characters up if they tried.

The implementations have vastly different challenges associated with them. For example, you are much more likely to get away with bad level design in a game focused on combat, the real challenge would be balancing out the different attributes by giving them strengths and weaknesses but remaining equal overall. And vice-versa for a game focused on speed.

Rush? RUSH? The team that's working on the next Sonic game (supposedly coming out next year) has had three years to develop it! This isn't the 2000's anymore, they now actually take their time to make these games! Which is also why we're hoping that, with all this development time, it's going to be the biggest Sonic game since Unleashed.

I swear if the next game is another Sonic Generations it's going to be so underwhelming.

• Thumbs Up 3

Rush? RUSH? The team that's working on the next Sonic game (supposedly coming out next year) has had three years to develop it! This isn't the 2000's anymore, they now actually take their time to make these games! Which is also why we're hoping that, with all this development time, it's going to be the biggest Sonic game since Unleashed.

I swear if the next game is another Sonic Generations it's going to be so underwhelming.

I don't mean rushing, in development terms. I mean rush in conceptual terms.

Even if they took all they time in the world, it won't guarantee a good game. Sonic must implement characters the right way, something we have yet to see in a 3D Sonic game.

As of yet I'm not convinced they even have a clue on how to go about doing so. And releasing a new game with undeveloped ideas will only serve to harm the multiple characters cause, not help it.

However I'm up for Generations 2(including Classic Sonic) as long as there are original levels.

The mistake was, terrible writing, shoving almost every character into almost every game, forcing the player to play as them, and how they made the characters play in general.

In regard to the OP's question, I'll be willing to assume yes. In fact, if anything from the sub series captivates a greater interest it's safe to bank on Sonic Team proper looking to further develop and apply those areas of interest into the main series and/or move to a conjunction of the two series. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to both parties and any third parties involved they'll do what's most practical on all points.

In regard to splitting, abandoning, or replacing Sonic Team proper, that's a definite no. It's not practical from a viewpoint, financial or otherwise, to let go of an established and talented group of people, some of which have been working for years, some even decades, that have consistently been employed and as such a valuable asset to the parent company.

In regard to splitting, abandoning, or replacing Sonic Team proper, that's a definite no. It's not practical from a viewpoint, financial or otherwise, to let go of an established and talented group of people, some of which have been working for years, some even decades, that have consistently been employed and as such a valuable asset to the parent company.

an established and talented group of people

talented

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

I knew my post would be the subject of debate eventually. Didn't realized it'd be this soon.

I fail to recognize a need to cite anything I've said. While the amount of talent or skill that the aforementioned individuals possess is up for debate I can without a doubt say that Sonic Team have been pivotal and key in regard to maintaining a direction that has for the most part remained concise and true to the origins of the series. This especially holds true as of late.

• Thumbs Up 1

[citation needed]

I knew my post would be the subject of debate eventually. Didn't realized it'd be this soon.

I fail to recognize a need to cite anything I've said. While the amount of talent or skill that the aforementioned individuals possess is up for debate I can without a doubt say that Sonic Team have been pivotal and key in regard to maintaining a direction that has for the most part remained concise and true to the origins of the series. This especially holds true as of late.

I think I have to agree with FFWF in that you will need to give a citation,. A talented team wouldn't be making games like Lost World in which the overall consensus for that game as a whole...still has no real consensus.

Also staying true to the origins of the series? Until Lost World happened we had Sonic getting maximum speed at a touch of a button. And in a 2D game billed as a successor to the original series that they supervised, he was walking up walls and moved like a bowling ball in a game which emphasized scripted automation above all else. Not even going into how people are receptive to the games' stories because that's a different ballgame that's already controversial as it is.

I think the only areas where Sonic Team is (consistently) talented in is art design, graphics/visuals, and music. Everything else ranges from "debatable" to "not at all".

If BRB's tidbits about optimumly combining speed, platforming and combat for a Sonic game are true, then I'd say that'll grab SEGA's attention for the better considering the payoff of such a feat these days.

• 2 months later...

With all the flak Boom is currently getting, i think it's safe to say that the "Saturday Mourning Adventures of Solo-Sonic the Hedgehog" will continue into the future. I can only hope the Iizuka's words about Boom have deeper plot compared to SegaSonic was a tease that the main series could follow suit.

Perhaps. But I really doubt that's gonna happen. I can already see everyone complaining about Sonic Boom not playing enough like a Sonic game. It really looks more like a generic platformer. Honestly, once I heard that they were going break the platforming and speed into two separate types of stages, I got that feeling. 

Perhaps. But I really doubt that's gonna happen. I can already see everyone complaining about Sonic Boom not playing enough like a Sonic game. It really looks more like a generic platformer. Honestly, once I heard that they were going break the platforming and speed into two separate types of stages, I got that feeling. 

I can see that too, which is why I hope this game really does well.  I wanna see some egg on some faces tongue.png!

But seriously, if Boom is successful I can definitely see main series Sonic getting affected.  More playable characters would be given but I think they might do a little more with story as well.  Hell, if Lost World's anything to go by, they're already building towards that.  I don't know, I guess I just have some inkling that we're in for some pleasant surprises come 2015.

I can see that too, which is why I hope this game really does well.  I wanna see some egg on some faces tongue.png!

But seriously, if Boom is successful I can definitely see main series Sonic getting affected.  More playable characters would be given but I think they might do a little more with story as well.  Hell, if Lost World's anything to go by, they're already building towards that.  I don't know, I guess I just have some inkling that we're in for some pleasant surprises come 2015.

Honestly, it would be terrible if Sonic Boom affected the way the mainstream titles play. This game is already getting criticized heavily by even the people who've played it. What do the mainstream titles have to learn from Sonic Boom? The brawling? Nobody wants that. We already got the Werehog, and it sucked. Splitting platforming and speed into two different stages? No. The mainstream games should continue to blend platforming and speed together.

But it could introduce more playable characters like in boom, ones that play exactly the same but with individual abilities, and it could affect the story, making them a bit deeper and involving and much less bare bones

Obviously the gameplay isn't going to be similar between both SEGA and Boom considering how negative the reaction is to the adventure/brawler gameplay already. However, if the story and characters are well received, which seem like the best things about Sonic Boom, then maybe SEGA will see this and go back to good stories with depth instead of all the lighthearted fluff we've been getting since Sonic Colours,

Oh, and I forgot multiple playable characters. If that's not once again blown out of proportion with "Sonic's shitty friends" then we might see at least playable Tails.

• Thumbs Up 1