Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

This was posted in the Mega Man thread already, but more people can see it this way. Not gonna mince words: this looked pretty awful, and I'm actually glad it was canned. 

I'll never understand how they went from this

175px-Mega_Man_(Mega_Man_9).png

To THIS

maverick_hunter_lead.0_cinema_1920.0-610

We can praise Retro all we want, and yes, they're a good developer, but I don't think they would've gone a long way in appealing to Mega Man fans with a game like this. It bothers me that a lot of game companies seem to have adopted the idea that a series needs to be a super-realistic "AAA" title made by a western developer in order to be considered successful. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Looks like it would have been a cool game, FPS platformer Vanquish meets Metroid Prime, too bad it's Canceledman so yeah.

Also, why are people calling this "gritty"?
Do you people even know what gritty is

Edited by Jackstraw the Ripper
  • Thumbs Up 7

This looked like it would've been really fun

Would've loved to play it

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 4

Looks like it could've been a fun, if generic FPS.

Seriously, it's hugely lacking that Megaman style. And yet Metroid Prime lost none of the Metroid feeling. Were these guys really responsible for the brilliant Prime trilogy?

I'm actually glad a MegaMan game was canceled for once. Huh. Because this seriously looks terrible, it really has DmC syndrome in trying to be too DARKGRIITY. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Of all the things I don't like about this game (the generic realistic artstyle, the FPS gameplay, the lack of the Megaman styled platforming) the one thing that annoys me the most is X's lack of a face in this new design. The core aspect of X's character is that he is the most "human" of any machine ever made (for better or worse). Turning his face into a half filled Lite-Bright really contradicts the point of making him seem human and relate-able IMO.

Edited by DaBatGuy
  • Thumbs Up 5

It has a couple of neat ideas - the trilogy notion of Zero eventually having to take X down speaks of the original concept for Mega Man Zero, where the real X was ruling Neo Arcadia before he was replaced by Copy-X.

However, everything else? Good grief, where do I begin?

• The FPS gameplay is as generic as they come, if a little bit faster than your average shooter. Oh, look, third-person taketowns. No, they aren't totally jarring and completely immersion-breaking. Nope, not at all. Seriously, it didn't work when Human Revolution did it, it doesn't work here.
  • The weapons. X's buster, a machinegun? Are they insane? And stealing generic enemy weapons isn't exactly new or interesting (Zero 4 did it already, but it at least have a big pool of variety to work with).
  • The aesthetic is appalling. As others said, it's just some uber-realistic garbage that doesn't even resemble Mega Man. It only looks vaguely more appealing than DmC, which isn't saying much, considering DmC's aesthetic is absolute garbage. And the way they did X's 'face' is just stupid.
  • Platforming is just... Double-jumping and grabbing onto ledges. Yes, that's totally revolutionary. But seriously, precision platforming just doesn't work in first person, mainly due to limited spacial awareness.

Personally, if I were in charge of a 3D Mega Man game, I'd do it as a third-person game with two 'modes' - a TPS mode where you manually aim (except, unlike pretty much any TPS recently, you can actually jump with the A button), and the second mode is when X locks on to something (hey, lock-on worked in Metroid Prime, and I think it's still an excellent feature to use for a shooter). The actual gameplay would play like a mix of Bayonetta and Vanquish.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, if I were in charge of a 3D Mega Man game, I'd do it as a third-person game with two 'modes' - a TPS mode where you manually aim (except, unlike pretty much any TPS recently, you can actually jump with the A button), and the second mode is when X locks on to something (hey, lock-on worked in Metroid Prime, and I think it's still an excellent feature to use for a shooter). The actual gameplay would play like a mix of Bayonetta and Vanquish.

The whole dual-stick control doesn't really work well for platforming in the first place anyway. Me, I'd just make one mode traditional 3d platformer controls, and another mode where you have TPS aiming and stuff. 

I don't know, I never could really get into metroid prime cause the metroids themselves scare me more than the ghosts on SA2 and pretty much made me avoid them for their non- FPS games instead. But, my personal problems with this isn't so much the fact that its a megaman FPS but that capcom could most likely (90% chance) make this the new direction that the series should go in and me not being a big fan of FPS's in general would make this a horrible turning point in life considering the fact that I have liked megaman ever since I first played megaman x7 and I would not want to see it fall in line with the bajillions of FPS's that we have out already.

This was posted in the Mega Man thread already, but more people can see it this way. Not gonna mince words: this looked pretty awful, and I'm actually glad it was canned. 

I'll never understand how they went from this

175px-Mega_Man_(Mega_Man_9).png

To THIS

maverick_hunter_lead.0_cinema_1920.0-610

We can praise Retro all we want, and yes, they're a good developer, but I don't think they would've gone a long way in appealing to Mega Man fans with a game like this. It bothers me that a lot of game companies seem to have adopted the idea that a series needs to be a super-realistic "AAA" title made by a western developer in order to be considered successful. 

This is based on X, not the other Megaman

• Thumbs Up 1

True, but X still had a face. And still had human like emotions/interactions. This THING is literally a robot. Nothing more nothing less. I agree, it could have been a DECENT game if it didn't have MegaMan in it's name. Or in anyway be considered anything in the MM series. It might have worked as a regular FPS though. So I am actually glad this game got canned. Good job crapcom. 

Wait did I just congratulate capcom?

• Thumbs Up 1

I realize that, but different characters or not, they're all Megamen, and they're all main protagonists. The point is that the series started off as a simple action-platformer about a little robot boy and somehow almost came to this. 

It looks alright, could've been good since it was in the hands of the makers of Metroid Prime. But Megaman? No way is this Megaman. More like FPS Space Shooter No.215. >_>

Actually, it's reminding me a lot of Bomberman Act Zero, which was also nothing like the real Bomberman and tried WAY too hard to be cool and...well, gritty.

You guys do realize this was an early beta, it could have developed a lot more and turned into something great, however we will never know now

You guys do realize this was an early beta, it could have developed a lot more and turned into something great, however we will never know now

This is kind of a moot point. Beta or not, people aren't liking what they're seeing, and are free to criticize it. It could've become something on its own merits, but the bottom line is that they produced a lousy-looking demo as a pitch, it got dropped, and this is what's left. There's nothing wrong with judging this.

Plus, this would've had to do a complete 180 considering people almost universally hate the direction it takes the Mega Man franchise. 

Theoretically it could've become anything, but we can only judge what we see, not the infinite possibilities of what it could have become.

NickonAquaMagna talks about Maverick Hunter. 

(spoilered because discussion point near end of video)

Wow, never realized how consistent the style of the eyes were through all the different versions of Mega Man. Really ties them together now that I think about it.

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

I don't know, I never could really get into metroid prime cause the metroids themselves scare me more than the ghosts on SA2 and pretty much made me avoid them for their non- FPS games instead. But, my personal problems with this isn't so much the fact that its a megaman FPS but that capcom could most likely (90% chance) make this the new direction that the series should go in and me not being a big fan of FPS's in general would make this a horrible turning point in life considering the fact that I have liked megaman ever since I first played megaman x7 and I would not want to see it fall in line with the bajillions of FPS's that we have out already.

wait, wait, wait, the first megaman game you liked was X7, universally regarded as the worst X game of all time?!?!?! you just lost a lot of credibility.

True, but X still had a face. And still had human like emotions/interactions. This THING is literally a robot. Nothing more nothing less. I agree, it could have been a DECENT game if it didn't have MegaMan in it's name. Or in anyway be considered anything in the MM series. It might have worked as a regular FPS though. So I am actually glad this game got canned. Good job crapcom. 

Wait did I just congratulate capcom?

you do realize that it literally didn't have MegaMan in the title right?

wait, wait, wait, the first megaman game you liked was X7, universally regarded as the worst X game of all time?!?!?! you just lost a lot of credibility.

I think X6 is actually the one regarded as the worst X game.

I think X6 is actually the one regarded as the worst X game.

no, trust me. it was 7. the fanbase splits a little over whether or not 5 and 6 were good, but 7 is universally hated. Bad controls, bad 3d segments, bad levels, bad voice acting, you can't play as X for the first half of the game if at all... it's the worst in the series, and this is coming from someone who played every X game minus the ones for gameboy.

oh yeah, 8 was awesome btw. easy to forget that they got one last masterpiece in before the franchise died.

anyways, back on topic:

I wrote a song about my feelings for this canned Maverick Hunter game.

Edited by SonicShoe

But I like x7 I would even say it goes below x8 on my top 3 megaman x games along with x5.