Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

To give give him the benefit of the doubt on misgendering Bobby I doubt he was aware that she is a Transwoman so that's really just an innocent mistake. 

...Boy do I hope he doesn't end up doubling down and getting super Transphobic now.

• Nice Smile 1

Yeah, I think misgendering Bobby was probably a honest mistake, but Ken's still being pissy about being called out for his stupid behaviour without actually refuting... literally anything Bobby said. Probably ought to link that article she wrote anyway since it's relevant 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/the-lawsuit-that-reshaped-sonic-the-hedgehog-comics.html

• Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Think he'll try and sue the movie over the echidnas?

Nah. If he mentions them at all it'll likely be to hype himself and his work, and he'll probably try to infer that he's being copied, but he won't actually DO anything. At this stage all he can really do is yell into the void. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Speaking of yelling into the void:

No, Ken.  They didn't feature Sonic's parents because there's no need to.  That's all.  If they wanted to give movie Sonic parents, they would've made new characters.

I also like how this is coming from the same person who continually insists that the Archie Sonic reboot wasn't a result of his legal battle with Archie.

It's only about him when he wants it to be.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 2

21 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Speaking of yelling into the void:

No, Ken.  They didn't feature Sonic's parents because there's no need to.  That's all.  If they wanted to give movie Sonic parents, they would've made new characters.

I also like how this is coming from the same person who continually insists that the Archie Sonic reboot wasn't a result of his legal battle with Archie.

It's only about him when he wants it to be.

It becomes doubly hilarious when you recall that his statement about being the first to give Sonic parents is very, very, very much not true- those manga tie-ins released in Japan gave Sonic parents and a little sister, and the Sega of America Sonic Bible explicitly gave him a living mother and a dead father and SEVERAL sisters. Granted, the odds of him knowing about this are zero to nil, but given his usual response to people pointing out how he's not really the trailblazer he sees himself as, he's gonna keep claiming this even if the evidence overwhelming demonstrates how untrue his claims to be. 

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

"They just seemed like obvious characters necessary to the growth & development of Sonic."

This is an odd bit of historical revisionism when they were explicitly not a part of Sonic's growth or development in the comics he wrote. Even as much as I liked Jules and Bernie (I mean, in general I've always been a sucker for the old stuff whether it was good or not), most of the time I never got the impression they mattered any more than the sea of other characters he's made--at least not when he handled them. That's seems true for most of his contributions, as it often feels like he was good at selling you on the idea but then you actually see what he does with it and it's either boring at best or extremely questionable and out of touch at worst.

With Penders and the various family members he makes, one gets the feeling that a lot of the time it's done so that a character can be regarded as significant by deign of being a relative without actually having to actually DO much of anything. Under Penders, Jules and Bernie are significant purely because as parents to Sonic they become significant by default, even as he basically ignored them after introducing them as alive... which in a way worked in their favor given what happens when he DOES focus on parents (or at least fathers. Lookin' at you, Locke, Max). That being said, yeah, he's talking out of his ass with this- he sure as hell did not give a fig about Jules and Bernie after buggering off to Echidna Land, nor did he even attempt to use them in any meaningful way at all, let alone as a means of developing Sonic. 

Guy's living in la-la-land if he honestly believes this and isn't simply engaging in self-aggrandizement. 

• Thumbs Up 9

On 2/14/2020 at 12:57 AM, horridus said:

Another day, another instance of Penders demonstrating what  a bitter, envious old fool he really is. The earth turns, the sun rises, and Penders... does this crap, with the regularity of the seasons themselves. 

Something tells me he's on this particular tear right now thanks to the fact that after so much time spent denying it's existence, the Sonic movie is in fact here, and with it comes the utter eclipsing of his own failed attempt to make a Sonic movie real. I should really be a lot more angry right now, but honestly this entire display is as pathetic as it is disgusting. 

It's karma.  Ken's own attempt to take away what we loved in Archie...and for a time, while he left behind a decent legacy that while flawed resulted in a LOT of characters people loved like Geoffrey St. John and Lara-Su(not the abomination he CALLS Lara-Su now...), he had to get in the mindset that characters that were Sega's were his to profit off of.  The basis for his characters are based off Sega's and are not entirely original in their concept.  What Ben Hurst did with SatAM was more original, creative and left a legacy Ken will never be able to say he had.  Ben's show got two seasons on ABC.   Ken's book got cut off at 32 issues(which today would be a respectable run considering most Marvel books don't even last a year to be fair).  

Now, the Sonic movie has come to fruition and people are loving it and he must be angry inside that it's not HIS name involved with the project.  He wanted the name recognition, the prestige and he never got it.  All he has is the "Lara-Su Chronicles" which he keeps teasing and trickling down but is taking his time with.  You know what Ken?  There's a man named Fred Perry who has written and drawn his own series called Gold Digger.  It's a personal favorite of mine.  Not only that, he MADE his own movie and it's on DVD.   It took him awhile but he got it done and manages to do his own monthly series on a regular basis.  Last time I looked, he's at over 200+ in his own series and he's been at it for awhile(for reference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Digger_(comics).)  What does Ken have under his own belt?  Last time I looked, some teaser art and nothing released.  Ken will never be the creative he thinks he is because he doesn't have the drive that people like Ben Hurst and Fred Perry do.  It's sad, people would've been more into his work if he hadn't done this entire thing with Archie but on the other hand, I am thankful...it let us see who he is really is.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic movie spoilers:

Sonic has a parental figure in the movie. Or had, since things didn't look good for her early on.

And she -- or at least a version of her -- predates Ken's Sonic parents by 2-4 years, depending on whether we're talking Jules or Bernie.

The fact Ken feels family members are so vital to Sonic's character leaves me wondering if that's the reason nearly every main character had such a ridiculously overdeveloped family cast herd by the end of his run.

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Sonic movie spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Sonic has a parental figure in the movie. Or had, since things didn't look good for her early on.

And she -- or at least a version of her -- predates Ken's Sonic parents by 2-4 years, depending on whether we're talking Jules or Bernie.

Spoiler

He knows unfortunately. He compared her to Julyala because this man has an ego the size of a planet.

...No one was saying Ken was influenced by the early manga.  They were pointing out he wasn't the first one to depict parents for Sonic like he claimed.

Even in the easiest softball chances he has to just say "whoops sorry I didn't realize," he still finds ways to twist things to be a victim rather than give even the smallest apology.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

...No one was saying Ken was influenced by the early manga.  They were pointing out he wasn't the first one to depict parents for Sonic like he claimed.

Even in the easiest softball chances he has to just say "whoops sorry I didn't realize," he still finds ways to twist things to be a victim rather than give even the smallest apology.

To be fair, that's essentially what happens.

51 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

So what else is new? I remember a while back people tried to point out how he wasn't the first to have surviving Echidna outside Knuckles, by pointing out the French comic that used 'em. He basically said the EXACT same thing, that he was 'unaware of their existence' and that they 'did not influence' him, even as it was made clear to him that nobody was saying that, just that he wasn't the first to do it. He just... NEVER wants to actually address what's being said when it's inconvenient to the narrative he's constructed for himself. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Not to say I trust he's honestly engaging with conversations because yeah, he does come across as intentionally misinterpreting things all the time. But I could understand assuming that random people online are accusing you of stealing ideas if they bring something like that up.

• Nice Smile 1

And now for another "kind of sort of" update for the Lara-Su Chronicles.

Good news folks, TWO Sonic copies are being considered for the book! You can all rest easy!

I should like to note that Penders has, in the past, gotten VERY testy about Scourge...

Given his rather outspoken belief of what Scourge is and general hostility towards any works that 'intrude' upon his stuff, one would think that he just wouldn't bother with the character at all. Ah, but then he wouldn't be able to try and leech off the recognition the Scourge name had in the ARchie Sonic fandom.

Either way, yeah. Sort of an update, but not really. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how he claims this about Evil Sonic when Evil Sonic is literally a fucking clone using Sonic as a base, and Scourge is actually a unique character who better reflects Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 7

11 minutes ago, horridus said:

And now for another "kind of sort of" update for the Lara-Su Chronicles.

Good news folks, TWO Sonic copies are being considered for the book! You can all rest easy!

I should like to note that Penders has, in the past, gotten VERY testy about Scourge...

Given his rather outspoken belief of what Scourge is and general hostility towards any works that 'intrude' upon his stuff, one would think that he just wouldn't bother with the character at all. Ah, but then he wouldn't be able to try and leech off the recognition the Scourge name had in the ARchie Sonic fandom.

Either way, yeah. Sort of an update, but not really. 

Did a double take at that first one. Didn't he say that a some point in the past?

Ah, the old "I'm not weird for saying something disturbing; You're weird for making a big deal about me saying it" excuse.  Always a classic.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ah yes, the casual smart-ass remark that he double downed on and then bent over backwards to defend, piling excuse on excuse. For that is the most common behavior of any man towards having a casual remark taken out of context. *shakes head* 

• Thumbs Up 3